Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has this been a good year for movies?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NYDistrict14
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Has this been a good year for movies?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Like I said, I only go for movies that have get a solid majority of good reviews. And I do so without apology, because in the overwhelming majority of cases, the critical consensus gets it right. Sure an individual critic is always hit and miss. Sometimes he's exactly on target and other times he's profoundly wrong. But when the majority of critics issues a resounding "Yes" or "No" to a film its usually for a good reason.

As of right now, it looks like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a film nobody should miss. The reviews have been immensely positive. Conversely, it appears that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is getting a very mixed response. If it winds up without a majority of good reviews, I will be excused from having to see it.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 13
Has this been a good year for movies?
Posted: 12/21/2011 11:21:23 AM
I caught Margin Call last week because it was on every critic's top 10 list for the year. I wouldn't have watched it otherwise. Great movie - it's set in a fictional investment bank at the start of the meltdown. The really cool thing about it is that there are no bad guys. Everybody is just doing their jobs and are often torn by what they are doing. It moves along dramatically very well - terrific script, acting and directing. I know it sounds boring, but it's definitely worth watching.
 NYDistrict14
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2011 10:54:04 AM
A highly praised film that got released today is Pariah, a film about a 17-year-old girl who embraces her identity as a lesbian. Apparently this is a very powerful, heartfelt film. It is definitely playing at theaters in my city. I don't know about elsewhere though.
 NYDistrict14
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2012 10:33:18 PM
With summer behind us, this movie season might finally start to sparkle. A good thing too, because the number of truly great films that I have seen in theaters in 2012 can literally be counted on one hand.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Has this been a good year for movies?