Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Seattle Freeze: Do you feel it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cjscl
Msg: 24
Seattle Freeze: Do you feel it?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm a native Seattleite. So are both my parents. The Seattle freeze does exist, sadly enough. Almost impossible to get past a simple hello with most people. Sex and age doesn't seem to matter, either. People just aren't overly interested in socializing or interacting with new people around here. Perhaps someday it will change.

Not to say people aren't friendly, mind you. There are plenty of friendly and courteous people all over around here! Just not many who seem too into making new friends.
 mc196986
Msg: 25
Seattle Freeze: Do you feel it?
Posted: 4/29/2012 1:32:44 PM
What are YOUR expectations? Maybe you are looking for someone much younger, or hitting on women who are better looking.

I'd love to date someone up there because I could see my girlfriends more often. But my single girlfriends in the Seattle area have just as much to complain about as you do. The freeze is mutual, and they have given up.
 SONNI100
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/3/2012 6:49:34 PM
Having lived here all my life....yes, I feel it. People in general are in a hurry, rude to others, seem easily irritated, and have forgotten the Golden Rule. I have heard this about Seattle for the past several years now.
Weather and over population are factors, but not the entire reason.
I moved across the sound to Kitsap county for 2 years and found it to be nearly opposite....moving back there after only 6 months.....
 V1P3R_33
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/19/2012 12:17:29 PM
im 22 amost 23, and i cant stand the people here, they are cold, rude, shallow and inconsiderate. I was born and raised here, and im a little different, mainly cause im a nerd, not some thug loser and yes I enjoy being myself but every one here is neophobic and wont give me a chance. Now, that being said almost every female I meet wants mr. tall ,dark, handsome, oh and lets not forget rich. I was taught money and looks isnt everything... now im not so sure
 FnToLv
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/19/2012 3:10:48 PM
Sailoress and useranonymous.. I Completely Concur!!! I've lived in the area for 17 years and have lived in many other states.. I can't say that I've Always done what I said I would, but it's not because I didn't want to. The people I've come across over the years have been mixed. Some are great, others, not so much. Guys are Horrible here.. The ones who Say they think similarly don't and the ones who are attacked, at least to me, are crazy. Useranonymous.. if you get a chance, please, seek out some meetup groups. .They are a great way to at least get out of the house. Go to meetup.com and Sailoress, guess I'm here for the same reason. Just a shame that so many chicks are flakes and guys don't trust us. Anyway. Thanks for sharing, guys..
 megabiteking
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/21/2012 12:28:40 AM
I have to agree with V1P3R_33 , the people here are cold, rude, shallow and inconsiderate. I moved here 4 years ago and its just been awful. The Job market sucks, the Dating/Social enviroment is terrible. Trying to meet or talk to someone should be easy as they say right? Well who ever said that is dead wrong. Im constantly told i should go out and meet people, well how can i meet people if they are horribly rude. How can i get a girlfriend if they are shallow and cold hearted? Yes from what i have seen and know so far most of the women in my area are like that.
 InMyTree
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/6/2012 5:33:36 PM
This cracks me up. It is so true.

I have lived her 10 years. The only reason I had so many friends was because my long time partner was a drummer in a band.

I'm from Indiana. IF you meet someone from the midwest they will tell you their life story in 15 minutes.

It's very cold in a polite way here. Somehow elitist.

Needless to say, after the break up with the drummer after 13 years.. all the social life went out the window.
 InMyTree
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/6/2012 5:34:41 PM
Welcome to the real Seattle.

The trees are the friendliest things I see.
 usernonymous
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/6/2012 7:28:08 PM
"I'm from Indiana. IF you meet someone from the midwest they will tell you their life story in 15 minutes."

Having moved from Kansas City, I completely concur.
 stm136
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/6/2012 8:05:39 PM
So true I've lived here most of my life and I swear the Seattle freeze is getting worse. I find it so refreshing when I'm in other parts of the country and the people are so much more open and friendly.
 living*a*fable
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/18/2012 5:38:24 PM
odd I was thinking about this today.....

When I first moved here to the PNW it was from Santa Barbara and before that Vail and Boulder.
To add moved back to the PNW from Croatia.

People here are very unfriendly and when I considered where to land back in the states, I chose here for the water and the cool weather, not for the arm friendly people.

The tell tale for me was, it was between here and Maine.....granted I am the same guy writing to the same type of woman

Here very few answer at all....... and from Maine most all of them at least said hello.
People here are too cool....but Like I said if you moved here because of the people, you made a big mistake

Try Santa Barbara...........I managed a Presidential campaign there.... where people actually have money, not just want to look like it, so they really have no attitude because they nothing to prove.

But I love living here, I just have low expectations of meeting someone.
 Schmooopy
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/19/2012 2:49:14 PM
The only difference I noticed when I moved here was there was more racism. Most people are nice, but there were just as many nasty creeps in SoCal as here
 travelRtist
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:23:20 AM
I am from Seattle
I've been here all my life, more than 40 years... And I have the same problems as the subject of this discussion thread. As a long term observer of the situation, I have a number of theories as to why the Seattle Freeze is so identified. Maybe my insights can help those struggling with the symptoms. Take them as you will...

It goes something like this:

First, this is a frontier city of "people passing though." Always has been. Those that are from here, tend not to invest time with people who are going to leave in short order. I think this cultural behavior comes from the time of the gold rush, when this was the last continental stop on the way to the Yukon. People stayed for a short time to gear-up, and head out. As a result, I've noticed that it takes approximately five years to "convince" locals that you are here to stay. After about five years, one can expect their life to finally click with a momentum that comes from building and maintaining a foundational network of friends and connections. (This is the opposite of L.A. New York, Chicago, Miami, and other cities with no memory, and no need for proving residency.)

Second, This region was the last great hold-out of the 1960's style of radical Feminism. (Don't get me wrong, my mother was a card carrying feminist, and I deeply respect the movement's ideology, and importance to the independence of American women.) However, this had an effect of how men and women relate to each other compared to the rest of the nation. People arriving here from elsewhere are not aware of the legacy impact this has on local gender politics. Under this paradigm men and women were/are equals. It was considered almost offensive and sign of disrespect to approach a women, as men do everywhere else in the world. Conversely, women were allowed/expected to be able to approach a man with as much assertion seen elsewhere. It Seems to be a built-in unspoken dynamic among locals, that tends to shut out newcomers. As a result both genders a bumping into each other, waiting for the other to make the first move. (Or at least make a clear indication that it is OK to make a move.) This is not the case in nearby Portland. I have no explanation for that.

Third, We are a Me-too city.
We want to be like other big cities, but we are not. We are small. Psychologically this creates an obsession. We want to be recognized as equal to comparably sized cities. Like Vancouver (BC), S.F, San Diego, Kansas City, etc. etc., but we are a provincial, Podunk village on a muddy estuary. Sure we have our industries, but that does not make us a significant cultural hub. Or so we think. As a city we have low self esteem. The resulting behavior seems to be that everyone is trying to create a significant impact on their world. Weather it be the arts, sciences, software, aeronautics, or coffee, we strive everyday to archive more than the day before. Everyone is an expert in their field, and they will tell you so. Just like an insecure blowhard self obsessed with their achievement. Also, everything is rush to fit in all things in life that seem important This leaves no time for off-the-clock behavior. Like dating, or just being a person in this world who can stop and smell the roses.
Just try and say hello to someone trapped in their mind obsessing about big things, or why big things haven't happened yet.

There I said it. This is the first time I have written them down.
Maybe it will help someone out there with new tools to deal with the Seattle mindset.
Good Luck!
Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Seattle Freeze: Do you feel it?