Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Profile Format: Questions/Problems Go Here      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blueeyes12790
Msg: 26
New Profile Format: Questions/Problems Go HerePage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Definitely HATE the new layout at the top...
Doesn't even make sense really!
PLEASE change it back!
 veevee
Msg: 27
New Profile Format: Questions/Problems Go Here
Posted: 12/13/2011 2:00:14 PM
Most of the suggestions here are spot on. The descriptions don't match the information listed.
I make websites for a living so thought I could add some input.
My idea is that if you want to improve it a little because it looks like you were trying to save space is to use associative images or badge type icons. If I'm a smoker - put a lit cig, if I'm a non-smoker lit cig with no symbol over it (circle with slash inside like road sign).

Children for example you could tone down as on line like so.
Children? Have,want more.
Children? Have,don't want more.
Children? None,don't want.
Children? None,do want.

That's the way I might swing the space issue is icons or creative text use. Weight in icons might be tricky but you might be able to do it a cute way with animals/objects if you let someone choose it in correlation with their height. A giraffe person might be tall and thin. A koala person might be short and few extra pounds. A big and tall person that is tall and not just big could be a bear. This one might not work but the alternative is rainbow colors or a scale with objects on the opposite side like piles of fish, single fish, bucket of fish. It might be more interesting if they were just another table type column down the left or right and removed above and below the picture anyway - that way to see all the description items someone would be enticed to actually, read the profile therefore spending more time on the pages leading to less http requests in the end even though you are putting more at first on the initial image download unless you use sprites. Either way, repeat visitors will eventually cache them all.
 curlygrl
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2011 2:39:17 PM
No.

Oh god no. Make it go back.

Lifestyle? I look like an athletic chain smoker
now.

Aquarius- my sign is there now? Oh Christ.
Now every guy is going to look up our compatability
according to our signs.

What's next- my tarot card of the day? Numerology?

Oh please. Make it stop.
 swm40Look
Msg: 29
New Profile is welcome change
Posted: 12/13/2011 3:35:24 PM
FINALLY! They changed the profile layout so it's easier and quicker to see what type of person you're looking at without having to scroll down two pages first.

35 posts... all negative?? What's with you people? They must be so used to the "old" format and don't like change. I could never get used to the old... it was wrong right from the beginning and messy! So I say, Finally! They've cleaned it up! I love it, and I'm sure the new generation of POF'ers will appreciate the new simplicity and organization.

My message to the admins... I know you have to listen to everybody's opinion, and I hope more people will cast their vote in with mine... keep up the good work! I've seen several "upgrades" over this past year, and I think they're all steps in the right direction. You'll always get whiners and complainers who can't see past their own spiked coffee cups and don't like change. But I think any improvement is a change for the better.

(My apologies if I've offended anyone, it's simply my opinion and not personal, but if you are offended then perhaps there is a reason you should consider... I am after all the single vote against so far 35 negative ones...)
 lookin2myis
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/13/2011 3:39:37 PM
Don't like it. Preferred the old way better. Easier to read for one thing.
 Revilors
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/13/2011 3:56:55 PM
IF...this is reconsidered...

Appearance:
Height
Weight There's always been some confusion when it comes to average, athletic, a few extra pounds...etc. Height and weight clears that whole thing up.
Body Type
Ethnicity (Black/Caucasian/European/etc.)
Hair Colour
Eye Colour

And clear up the other ambiguous descriptions like does not wish to procreate.
 sjballen
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/13/2011 5:18:17 PM
Awful layout Looks very unprofessional. There are certain attributes such as Astrological sign that I could give a fig about. Why are you forcing me to read it along with the person's race and hair color? Maybe you should try sampling these changes before instituting them whole sale. These "improvements" are asinine.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/13/2011 6:17:10 PM
The new profile format lends an amateurish, unprofessional look to this dating site. Not all of us believe in hokey pseudosciences such as astrology; hair color is not always indicative of one's ethnicity; and body type is not aways determined by lifestyle, and can sometimes be determined by genetics.
 spilt_milktruck
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2011 6:44:11 PM
With 20+ years in design and page layout (big biz...not friends birthday party invites)... have to say - I'm really not feeling this new change. Not very intuitive for quick reference which is what I'm sure the majority find lacking as is. The way the eye and mind gets trained to quickly browse subjects/personal preferences is no longer there. Each individual on this site has their own preferences they quickly look too flipping from profile to profile. Smoking for instance is a huge issue with people and shouldn't be buried into what tries to be a sentence (which far too many people don't take the time to even read in written profiles "about me") Height seems to be a big issue with some, etc, etc... I can speed read through the top portion... Single, smoker, yes, no, no, no yes., glossing over less important items to me.

I really didn't mind it before although I did find the subjects to be a little out of flow... just not worth complaining about. (This is my first post on this forum in ??? because I think it's really taken numerous steps backwards). Put a poll question out there for all users to click on before they are allowed to send any mail... Do you like the new profile information formatting? Yes / no... you'll have an overwhelming response soon enough I'm sure. Do up a few draft versions for people to vote on.

What was the goal in the change? if you're looking to streamline, there's been plenty of suggestions on what to "group" what with... I'd also take the Subsection of Relationship as it stands now and just blend those into the initial lead-in information or amalgamate the other similar items together under it. There is no need once again for what comes across as a boilerplate computer driven sentence.

What's easier to quick glance at?

Intent: _________ is actively seeking a relationship.
Relationship History The longest relationship _________ has been in was over 5 year long.

vs.

Relationship History: 5+ years
Intent: seeking a relationship
-------

These could easily go under I am seeking: / For: as it stands.

----------

Ethnicity: Caucasian Scorpio with no hair .... that' seriously wrong to me. lol. I always just considered myself Canadian.
 southtc
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/14/2011 4:01:08 AM
I think the old saying, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." applies here.
 spot4username
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/14/2011 6:24:02 AM
Oy vey. It's just awful. And it is inaccurate. Mine says I haven't taken the tests but when I click on the links I am met with a congrats for taking the tests and my results. *eye roll*

Thank goodness I am not actively using this site to date. I wonder what all the people who dislike the new format and have no idea about the forums think. I am guessing that there would be a few hundred responses to this thread...

Beta test anyone?
 veevee
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/14/2011 7:13:28 AM
In response to the person that called it amateurish...

I would add too that if you are considering smoking a lifestyle choice that needs to be top of the list for inclusion or disinclusion for speaking to someone - shouldn't drug use and drinking more than social be up there too?

Cigarettes don't alter someone's mood in the same way as the other 2 can. They also don't have the potential of getting you arrested riding in the car with someone and their bag of cocaine.

That's what makes it look amateur is that it isn't thought out it just looks like the intention was to make 2 lines there regardless of logic and what the majority of the complaints are that I see. Ethnicity is way off too. Astrology is akin to religion to those that don't believe. More than 10% of the population are non-believers and that's just admittance, there is still a social stigma about not believing in some circles meaning that you lack morals (as if you can't follow laws). Not everyone "comes out" but even seeing your astrological sign there can make you look wishy washy. I don't believe in a god but I believe in the stars and planets having secret meanings to my life derrr herrr. Mixed signals and I would never put that info in my profile intentionally. According to pof it's "above the fold" worthy. Many die hard christians also don't believe in astrology because it's not part of their tenets and considered witchcraft or the like to follow anything but their god figure.

I still think putting all that info down the sides would be better than above and below the pictures and might put more eyes on the ads - there I said it out loud.

Donnie6565
Msg: 38
on line
Posted: 12/14/2011 8:21:54 AM
is there a way for me to be on line without the other woman knowing I online ? one woman told me she seen that I was on POF and didn.t write her. I like her I just wanted to talk to a nother woman that night
 Northern_Light79
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/14/2011 9:59:11 AM
Every detail should have its own field, anything else leads to confusion. It can be laid out however, though.
 Yobabyyobabyyo
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/14/2011 10:19:57 AM

I think the old saying, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." applies here.

I wouldn't go so far as saying it wasn't broken before; profile pages (among other things) do need a re-design.
 MtnGuy48
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2011 6:37:12 PM
Very poorly done. I thought I had a formatting error and browser problem. I agree with others it looks very amateur and difficult to read.
 multisarcasmic
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/14/2011 7:40:50 PM
Thanks POF for your thoughtful profile template design...stigmatizing me right off the bat by suggesting that I have a "life style" that revolves around being a smoker. Actually, my lifestyle revolves around much more than this and I get more fresh air and exercise in 8 hours at work than most people get in a month. The option you give people to refuse communication from me like I'm some kind of leper is a nice touch too. Pfft. Funny how this is the first thing people get to learn about me and I have to wade my way through their entire profile to find out they will not even accept a hello from me.

Beware, the perpetuation of hate and the bully within us all.
 funtimesforever101
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/14/2011 7:56:46 PM
^ what he said
 inconceivabill
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/15/2011 8:50:08 AM
Thank you for your excellent free service, but really, the new header layout is really annoying, as most have indicated. All fields should be SEPARATE and LABELED, as they were, to make finding them easier.

Ideally, if you do want to improve the layout, they should be grouped on some rational basis -- the grouping that AnonymousBroccoli provides is excellent, why not just go with that?

If you are trying to vertical space for some reason, how about using 3 columns instead of 2? In which case you could tighten up some of the labels, like "Has children:" or even "Has kids:" instead of "Do you want children?" That also makes more sense from an ad viewer's perspective -- when I read the question "Do you want children?" that sounds like it's about me, the reader, rather than about the person whose profile I am reading.

Regardless of what improvements might be made, the quickest and easiest improvement that all will be most grateful for is simply REVERT to the layout of a few days ago. Thank you.
 inconceivabill
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/15/2011 8:51:34 AM
^^^ should be, "If you are trying to SAVE vertical space for some reason..." oops.
 mgklclstlmn
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2011 12:04:46 PM
i have to agree with EVERYONE else... this 'change' is disastrously misguided. why????

please undo it.
 SmashinDaisey
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/15/2011 2:25:05 PM
WHY DID U TAKE PEOPLES SIGNS OFF>>>>>???? SUCKS !!!!!!!!! amd MERRY CHRISTMAS
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/15/2011 2:28:39 PM

WHY DID U TAKE PEOPLES SIGNS OFF>>>>>????

From your profile:

Caucasian Gemini with Mixed Color hair
 mgklclstlmn
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2011 6:11:40 PM
thanks for trying to help.

if they really feel the need to improve the layout, your suggestions should be appreciated.

i just can't understand what kind of thinking lead to this aberrational format... it violates the sensibilities.
 mgklclstlmn
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2011 6:16:41 PM
hmmm... did not realize that "post reply" does not actually reply to the post it is in.

above reply was directed to AnonymousBroccoli
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Profile Format: Questions/Problems Go Here