Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Get Togethers  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mikmik67
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Surviving POF eventsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Try a bag over your head. It's a good conversation starter.
Bahahaha.... I think it could work.
 HappyRocker
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Surviving POF events
Posted: 2/24/2012 12:03:54 PM
I went to "Meet" with another dating site about a year ago. I found it to be a "Twitter Contest" ... the one with the most followers wins.

One of the women (48yrs) even had a guy in tow who had moved from Adelaide to Brisbane to be near her and he obviously thought that he was "with her". Another women (46 yrs) had an on going relationship with a guy from NSW who wasn't there ... so maybe it wasn't so ongoing at the time. The third women was a 20 year old "apprentice of these two older women. She did the "get drunk, move next to and sling her leg over my leg" thing with me and another guy, both of us old enough to be her father. In fact from what she said, I would say getting a boyfriend older than her father was a button she wished to push on dear old Dad.

I opted out.

However, I've been on a POF motorbike rally. That was really good. I didn'tmeet a soulmate but I met some nice people and had a great ride through beautiful country side.

I would say to survive, don't get drunk (but stay loose), stay alert (but not paranoid), listen to what people are saying (to you), use the info gathered to make sensible decisions on who has similar wants and needs to yourself. Don't make desicions on look alone Above all, try to stay dignified.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 20
Surviving POF events
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:19:40 PM
I've thrown several POF socials and attended some others even in other cities. It's doubtful I'll meet someone for a LTR in a far off place, but you have something in common (Single and on POF), and I always have a good time.

Don't worry about the cliques. Have some compassion. They are just insecure and need their blankets to make them feel better.

A good host/ess will take measures to better ensure a good time for all. For example making sure the music is not too loud, there are frequest breaks to better allow socializing and music to satisfy everyones tastes. I always like to employ a few social butterflies to give a little mudge to get people warmed up.

On a personal level. I break the ice by just introducing myself. Hi I'm ____ They tell you who they are and you tell them how nice it was to meet them. Then on to the next. The next time you tun into them you would have already met and it's so much easier to break right in where you left off.
 Holly63
Msg: 21
Surviving POF events
Posted: 2/29/2012 7:15:33 PM

Don't worry about the cliques. Have some compassion. They are just insecure and need their blankets to make them feel better.

Love it!!!!

Be yourself and if they don't like it, their loss. :)
 Crowbird45
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Surviving POF events
Posted: 3/2/2012 1:37:39 AM
I think a fun thing to do at an event if your nervous, is find someone more outgoing than you and introduce yourself to them, and see if you can get them to help you set up an impromtu dance contest. An Emote Smilie dance contest! I wanna try and dance like these little guys! , , , , , ,

Now these guys look like they are having a good time! Bring your smart phone, so you can look at the smilies and remind yourself how the dance moves go, and oh!.. Use same said phone to take a video of the contest! POF has some awesome smilies!

This will be a great way to make a Fool of yourself! grin
 Crowbird45
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Surviving POF events
Posted: 3/2/2012 1:49:31 AM
Oh! Be sure to practice a bit before going to the event, or you might cave under the pressure.

I think I like this guy best! Reminds me of getting out of the shower, and this guy probly has a towel drying off the back side.
 BeachGirlSparkles
Msg: 24
Surviving POF events
Posted: 3/23/2012 8:14:31 AM
I think it's a great idea to find the host/hostess immediately. They're there to help and probably already know a few people there. He/she can get you started by introducing you to a couple people until you feel comfortable to wing it.

Don't give up! Go, and have fun trying!
 Roses_are_Pink
Msg: 25
Surviving POF events
Posted: 3/30/2012 12:13:21 AM
Don't go alone!
 russell5417
Msg: 26
Surviving POF events
Posted: 3/30/2012 12:37:24 AM
Get drunk first and go and enjoy yourself.
 peebie5
Msg: 27
Surviving POF events
Posted: 4/25/2012 3:30:26 PM
This will be my first POF event and I am looking forward to it. I am going alone so I can meet others without fear of wondering where your date went. As a woman I do not have a problem approaching a guy and saying hello. If you get rejected you will live another day. I am mainly going to meet guys though. I enjoy watching people also. What to wear what to wear? Does anyone know if this place is like a dive? or an upscale type?
 Pat1215
Msg: 28
Surviving POF events
Posted: 5/27/2012 4:51:19 AM
It's not that complicated! It is about eye contact! If you get it, go for it.

At a party a few months ago, in a loud crowded bar, I noticed a real cute girl about 6 people away. After the 5th really strong eye contact between us, I said in my head "don't mess this up FOOL" and when over and said "Hi who are you?".

Ladies rule: No continual eye contact if your not interested.

Guys rule: No foaming at the mouth. If she is interested, she will MAKE SURE you have future contact.
 Pat1215
Msg: 29
mixers ? Surviving POF events
Posted: 5/28/2012 3:56:04 AM
I suggested this game for one of the partys and everyone had fun with it.

Suggestion for a game;

How about a variation of the old card game "Fish"

Use 2 decks. The red cards for girls and blue cards for guys.

Spread /mix cards on a table, then everyone draws and goes fishing for their card in the other color.

If you find your match, the guy will buy the drinks.

I knew 6 cards in the first half hour, and normally not an outgoing guy.

Note for host, start with 10 or 20 matches in the ponds. ( so your match card gets picked )
 picklemayomustard
Msg: 30
Surviving POF events
Posted: 12/4/2012 6:12:28 AM
Be prepared to talk a lot. And have good excuses to move on to another person if you are getting a life story. Don't tell your life story. Chat about what is going on that evening. Don't talk about ex's. Be positive. Be prepared to go home disappointed.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Get Togethers  >