Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > If "All the Good Ones Are Taken" .....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CptJohnSheridan
Msg: 51
If All the Good Ones Are Taken .....Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
A big part of that comes from the facade that many, if not most, couples have. It is really easy to look at a "happy" couple and think, "Why can't I find a (man or woman) like that?" without having to consider any of the hidden negatives that would drive you nuts.
 GreenIdm1
Msg: 52
If All the Good Ones Are Taken .....
Posted: 12/29/2011 12:31:27 PM
That statement is just wrong. Think about it like this:
--Every one of the "good ones" who is currently in a relationship, and is taken, has been single before and was not taken at some point in the past. Either they were good before they were taken, which disproves the original statement, or they became good simply by virtue of the fact they were taken, which makes the original statement absurd since you can't make someone good simply by going out with them.
--The belief that if someone was "good enough" to be in a real relationship, then they would be in one already, is definitely harmful! You can't walk around asking yourself, "What is wrong with this person? There must be something, because they are single," and expect any kind of success.
--That statement presupposes some kind of universal standard or agreement about who is really good. That doesn't exist! Just because someone hasn't been deemed one of "the good ones" by others, doesn't mean that you should reach the same conclusion.
--The idea that being single is some kind of an affliction, and makes one worse off than would be the case if they were part of a couple, is not taking into account the reality of many relationships. It's definitely better to be single than to be taken by someone who is abusive or is incapable of appreciating who you really are.
 egowitch
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/29/2011 12:44:04 PM
"Good ones" is the same kind of subjective term as "attractive", "classy" , "good hearted" (never heard that used till POF), "great in bed", and my VERY favorite overused nonsense term : "normal" !

They each can mean completely different things to different people - and usually do.

Besides the idea that generalizations rarely prove to be solid, when referring to humans !

I wouldn't place great credence in it one way or the other .
 RedElectric
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/29/2011 12:49:11 PM
i think we are the smart ones!!

too many people get into unfulfilling relationships for the wrong reasons.

apparently, i would rather be single than settle. *shrug* no ones problem but my own!
 CptJohnSheridan
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/29/2011 1:27:41 PM
Smart move, RedElectric. I tell all of my single family and friends the same thing. Do not settle, because it is actually worse than being alone.
 DSMTraveler
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/29/2011 7:33:32 PM
I use the phrase occasionally -- usually with my married friends' husbands when they're helping me out with something like packing or checking out the car's strange rattle. I flirt and as they're expounding on which mechanic I should go to or hanging a towel rack for me, I give a big, regretful sigh and "All the good ones - like you - are taken." Most of them enjoy it and laugh.

As a platitude... well, it says nothing, means nothing.
 RunningFool7
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/29/2011 8:58:21 PM
I disagree with that saying. I'm willing to bet most people out there are pretty good people. They're just not the RIGHT person for us.
 earthboundangel67
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/29/2011 9:11:49 PM
Men are like parking spots..

All the good ones are taken

and the rest are handicapped.....lmao! love this one from the previous poster!

However, I think most of us that are single, feel we are Good Ones! And there must be others out there like us that are also Good Ones! It is simply sifting through to find the one that is good for each of us....that is the challenge!
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/29/2011 9:46:59 PM
Of course all the good ones are taken.. With all the single people out there that know exactly what they want and looking for.. Im sure they would know a good person if they seen one and the good people would have a line out side the door ... As no one has a line out side the door, That tells us there are no good ones left. Well maybe we just cant recognize a good one when we see them. Everyone seems to complain about it. It sure seems that people expect the good ones to just show up at the door with a sign.. Need to get out there and give people a chance to see if they are the good ones for you or not.
 sensualseekerns
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/8/2012 6:38:27 PM
Not all the good ones are taken.

I know because I just found one. Amazing how the universe unfolds some days. It is always full of surprises.

Namaste all. This fish is gone.

kindheart9
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/9/2012 1:59:22 PM
All the good guys are not taken, they just dont want to be used any longer. It seems like the women out there now are looking to steal or take what they can, abuse and mentally beat down the guy because they know they can get away with it in court. Are there good guys out there you bet, if they are like me , I have decided that I would rather be alone and lonely then put up with a woman thats always looking to take advantage of the man. I know there has to be good women out there the problem is you cant tell by looking at someone who is a good person and who is the bad person. I also find women need to leave what has happened in there past relationships in the past. Dont blame the new guy for what someone else has done to them.
 Samuel1786
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/9/2012 2:01:26 PM
All the good ones are taken!? Well, shucks, I guess I better just call it quits then.

SweetLilGTP
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/9/2012 8:40:29 PM
All the good ones are taken!? Well, shucks, I guess I better just call it quits then.

Na; you can buy em....... win em in a raffle/contest........or trade.

Big_fun_wave
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/9/2012 9:03:59 PM
I concur with both Igor and funk. Very accurate assesments. That logic, "the good ones are always taken" not only abounds in the dating scheme of things, but the job market as well. I've heard often about people with jobs (myself included) being approached by other employers making job offers to them. When infact, they could have a pile of resumes of eager job seekers to go through.
 911love
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/9/2012 9:09:24 PM
I think my age group, 47 and >, it is hard as men my age can date chicks in their 30's. So if they had not started a family yet they go out with younger chicks, or if they do not like aging women they go out with younger chicks so you gotta date older guys and I am not into much older guys! Oh what to do!
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/9/2012 9:13:29 PM
what's w/ "good"?? one person's good may be my bad or vice versa...i don't care about 3 million men, 3 dozen men, or 3 men, good, bad, or otherwise,

I want the one for me, period
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/9/2012 9:33:41 PM
its a stupid cliche for losers....
 ilovehistory
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2012 10:29:33 PM

That logic, "the good ones are always taken" not only abounds in the dating scheme of things, but the job market as well. I've heard often about people with jobs (myself included) being approached by other employers making job offers to them. When infact, they could have a pile of resumes of eager job seekers to go through.

Very true. A lot of employers today will not even consider an applicant who actually needs the job (that is, an unemployed applicant). There's been quite a lot of press about it, which has become a common thing only in recent years as the number of long-term unemployed has skyrocketed because there simply are not enough jobs for everyone.

Of course, in dating there are about equal numbers of men and women in the world, so there is no rational reason for there being 'too few' men or women to go around.
 Samuel1786
Msg: 69
Posted: 1/9/2012 11:53:52 PM
There's a huge freaking difference between dating a woman who's got a steady job and her life together, and dating a woman who doesn't, though. I mean, night/day difference.

Then again, I'm sure Women correctly say the same thing about men.
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/11/2012 5:28:44 PM
Too message 74:
I think these people who need a huge pool of petential mates to go through before finding that so called right one, says more about that person than their potential mate. Anyone who could be that hard to please, I don't think is very realistic in general on allot of things.
 Bill45644
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:13:48 PM
The good ones are out their,just people look on the outside,not with in..Sure a man like to have barbie by his side,but not to marry,cause they tend to wonder as in Ken type..
Women/men should read the profile and not the pic and see what fit the ones they looking for.
I myself prefer Sandar Bullock,cause she got a sence of humor and personality..
 Artimessmiles
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:17:33 PM
<-----Good one....not taken....

Seriously....I know what you're talking about.
 DragonBits
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/12/2012 5:02:30 AM
Life is like a bull market.

When a bull market starts, any stock you buy will give you a good ride, even the scam companies will look good and soar for a short time. Everyone thinks they are a genius and knows how the market works. Near the end of the bull market, good stocks are still there but harder to find.
 spacetimegravity
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/12/2012 5:14:19 AM
I'm a good one in my own opinion and I am still here.
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/15/2012 2:32:26 PM
Too message 74:
I think these people who need a huge pool of petential mates to go through before finding that so called right one, says more about that person than their potential mate. Anyone who could be that hard to please, I don't think is very realistic in general on allot of things.

Correction: The above message was in reference to message 73.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > If "All the Good Ones Are Taken" .....