Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 south_city
Msg: 48
To talk or not to talk on the phone before meeting up/datePage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I guess an initial phone convo is "proof of life" that HotKitty123 really isn't a 15yr old wanker.

For the most part, that's the only thing a phone conversation can prove. A phone conversation doesn't mean the other person will look their pictures or there will be "instant chemistry" during a first date / meeting ( which is important to many people here ) among other things.
 leastman
Msg: 49
To talk or not to talk on the phone before meeting up/date
Posted: 6/20/2016 6:31:56 AM
I too think a couple of calls is important. I talked to a guy on the phone who said yeah yeah yeah after ever third word I said. In addition he made these horrible lip smacking noises that I was not going to be able to tolerate on an ongoing basis.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2016 11:53:11 AM

Good/bad phone has never equaled good/bad date in practice. If someone wanted to call me and chat for a bit, fine, but I never put a lot of stock in or required a phone call before meeting. Many women I intersected with didn't like to talk on the phone or just wanted to get on with actually meeting.

True, it's not an equalizer. And most women (and men I'm sure) are going to want to maybe text via POF or via real phone # texting... and meet when mutually available.

If one wants to be temporary pen-pals before meeting (the apprehensive) -- sure, talking on the phone is very understandable and I'd promote it. Although, I look down on those whose gear is being in pen-pal mode to begin with as some (false) sense of security.

I too think a couple of calls is important.

A couple of calls is important? Really? :)

I talked to a guy on the phone who said yeah yeah yeah after ever third word I said. In addition he made these horrible lip smacking noises that I was not going to be able to tolerate on an ongoing basis.

First, you don't need a couple calls for that. Second, the chances of running into something like that that would ewww/turn-off most people isn't going to be common. In the end, it's about not dragging things out on meeting them. So when he brings up the notion of getting together some time, just say that you may be up for that -- give me a call (#) and we can go from there... and when he calls and you two talk and nothing wacky-weird like that exists (which most of the time it won't) -- then angle things on where to meet in the near future.

All in all though, I don't think it's necessary. But if one can squeeze in a quick call when on the cusp of setting up a date, and make it smoothly flow just the same as if you're exchanging messages, then that's cool. But all in all, it's what they are in person -- which after getting an idea about them communicating textually, that's about all you'll need.
 Maleman999
Msg: 51
Posted: 6/20/2016 2:57:07 PM

(Msg 51): I too think a couple of calls is important.

A couple of phone calls? What do you need to know that would require two phone calls to decide if you want to meet someone in person and spend a half hour or so over a coffee or drink? If after the first phone call, a guy asks you to meet in person, are you going to tell him that he hasn't passed all of your tests yet, and it will require one more phone call/interview for you to decide? I would quickly disappear if someone insisted on conducting multiple phone interviews/interrogations before deciding on a short face-to-face meet. Dating should not turn into a job interview.
 hemingway234
Msg: 52
To yak or not to yak first
Posted: 6/21/2016 6:25:39 AM
One phone call before the date is the way to go........ it's a better form of communication (you get voice inflection), and it's easier to set a date/meet.

If you are concerned about giving out your number, you can always ignore or block calls, get a disposable phone, or google number.
 Maleman999
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/21/2016 7:18:21 AM
A question about the ancient device known as a land line phone, which a lot of people still use. I recall that for an additional fee, a person could a restricted phone line, which means the phone number didn't show up in a phone book-which is redundant now-and the number didn't appear on phones that show caller ID. Would the number still be hidden if calling to a cell phone, and would the number not be traceable if doing a reverse number search? (I have no idea why it's called a reverse search, since you don't type in the phone number in reverse order.) If the number doesn't appear on cell phones and is not traceable on the internet, that might be a cheaper alternative for people who still use a land line phone instead of some other method of hiding the number.
 south_city
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/21/2016 7:29:06 AM
I don't answer phone calls from blocked numbers. I also don't think it should be one sided. ( In terms of they have my number. But I can't have theirs. ) If someone insisted on a phone call prior to a date / meeting and didn't want to give their number, buying a cheap prepaid phone is probably their best option.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2016 3:39:06 PM

(I have no idea why it's called a reverse search, since you don't type in the phone number in reverse order.)

You're over 60 years old, can't believe I have to say this.....
A Standard Phone Directory listed people/ companies, by Name... (John/Jane Smith or Acme Widget Company)
This was the Standard White/Yellow Pages, they provided for Free...

They also made a Reverse Directory, that listed by Number...... You had to pay for these.....
The only people that bought them, had a specific need for one......
That's why it's called a Reverse Lookup....
 hemingway234
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/24/2016 11:06:01 AM
A question about the ancient device known as a land line phone, which a lot of people still use. I recall that for an additional fee, a person could a restricted phone line, which means the phone number didn't show up in a phone book-which is redundant now-and the number didn't appear on phones that show caller ID. Would the number still be hidden if calling to a cell phone, and would the number not be traceable if doing a reverse number search? (I have no idea why it's called a reverse search, since you don't type in the phone number in reverse order.) If the number doesn't appear on cell phones and is not traceable on the internet, that might be a cheaper alternative for people who still use a land line phone instead of some other method of hiding the number..

- That's a good Idea. I do have a restricted land line and called a friend, and she referred to it as a "weird number", lol - so I think you are right.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2016 11:11:36 PM
For me one phone call would suffice. I just need to hear the tone of his voice, the way he speaks in general
to form some sort of opinion and then I would go ahead and arrange a physical meet or not.
 sweetmama482
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2016 1:26:38 PM
I'm one that likes to yahoo mess... before a meet and exchange #'s.
my past experience there were three men that I was glad I spoke on
the phone first cause one would only call me from his job, then I called
him at 7pm and his voice was very low and short conversation. Made me
feel he was married. Two others went psyco on me and became abusive,
cuz they had a bad day one we didn't even got to a meet and greet. Another
one called me a few timewhen he was drunk. So yes
I like to text via yahoo then a phone call. That's just me
 U21984
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/10/2016 2:40:56 PM
Sweetmama, if I were you I would **only** communicate by phone.
Your English is almost indecipherable! lolol
 BHinFL
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/19/2016 12:36:35 PM
I should think it is a requirement to talk on the phone prior to meeting with someone in person. Of course it isn't, but it is for me anyway.

Texting / chatting only conveys so much about the other person.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >