Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Worst Job You Ever Had...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kailania
Msg: 26
Worst Job You Ever Had...Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
working in a nursing home and having to rinse the soiled sheets.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Worst Job You Ever Had...
Posted: 12/20/2011 7:28:10 PM
there's a tomato factory in my home town ... I remember all the high school kids wanted to get a job sorting tomatoes!!! I asked my dad if I could apply back then ... he wouldn't let me ... I was needed at home!

a friend is retiring from there in January (was NOT a tomato sorter) ... he said the tomato sorters are mostly women and come back summer after summer ... some have worked there since they graduated from high school ...

they must have a high tolerance for boredom ... I hear the gossip mill is alive and well there, though ... and they're all good friends!

PittsburghVixen
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/20/2011 9:55:51 PM
I thought I had a couple of shytty jobs in my time, but some of the experiences here make all of mine put together look like a sunny walk in the park, so I shall refrain from posting about my relatively minor annoyances.

My hat's off to the rest of you!
 raxarsr
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2011 10:44:16 PM
building silos........16 to 18 hrs a day....sometimes for 30 days at a stretch

it was one of the hottest summers i can remember.......everything you touched was heavy.......and everything was done literally on the run.......the lightest thing i had to pick up were the staves......and you ran carrying them......had to wear a hard hat.......leather apron and gloves.....then you get to climb up to the top.........70 to 90 ft.........and step out over the wall onto a little plywood seat and tighten the rings.........[i'm not fond of heights]..........pay wasnt bad at all...........but i've never.........never worked harder..............and i was a bricklayer all of my life
 Casper66
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2011 12:18:24 AM
The two worse jobs I had as a teenager were working in a factory cleaning and greasing machinery in the summer heat and I use to work for a cleaning company, the offices were fine but some of the factory spaces were just plain nasty, especially the bathrooms, they smelled so bad you would gag.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2011 3:37:10 AM

Lint spotter...I'll take your chickensh*t and raise you pig feces.
After my months spent with the chickens, I'd rather not know if there is something worse.

You know it interesting reading some of the worst jobs we have had, and I thought if you ask a teenager ,young adult under 25, would they do the jobs you did as a kid, they would look at you and think , oh hell No I wouldn't do those jobs, their idea of a bad job is working morning shift at Starbucks or McPoison .
One of the reasons I took these jobs was so that my children could have a better life than me... I will say that my kids have helped out on some pretty cruddy jobs... though honestly, nothing that would compare to the chicken harvesting.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2011 6:30:54 AM
There are a lot of "crappy jobs" that kids of our era grew up doing without complaint, that the current crop of kids are unwilling or incapable of doing due to obesity and programmed laziness, and an overly developed sense of privilege. All of the dozen or so "crappy jobs" that I did back in the day, are now done by immigrants who were raised with a work ethic. The guy who bought our farm has a highly mechanized milking system, far easier than the one we had, and cannot find any local kids willing to feed and milk the herd.

We have some generations now that have lost some very basic and important skill sets, flexibility and drive that may well be needed at some point in the future.

I forgot another contender...dairy barn roofing on those old style barns with curves, and tall hay lofts. There were no safety harnessess as we pulled sheets up via ropes and vice grip devices, leaning over the backside, hoping the grips would not fail or the wind would not take us flying. Once in place, climbing up and down the roof all day, 12 hour days, left most of the crew sleeping on the way home. Very attrition rate back then from injuries and deaths.
 ocean_gypsy
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/21/2011 4:44:07 PM

so the kill floor remains etched into memory as the worst job.

Thats pretty intense pup. Sounds like one h*ll of an experience that may in the end, saved your life. Didn't Rocky box meat in a hanger to get the feel of impact? The learning may have been hard but the rewards may be worth it. Only you can decide.

My worse job is every week when I take out the kitty litter.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/22/2011 8:36:06 PM
My first job after I got married.

I worked as a draftsman for a company in the States.

I had to pull out all the old ball bearing designs and redo them.

Come on ... How many round balls can one person draw?

BOARING!!!
 Bishopboat
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/23/2011 11:36:03 PM
Landscaping maintenance, my fathers irrigation company slowed down and I wanted a job. Had to write a resume, over 45 people wrote for the job, I got it. I did 60+ weeks, no water breaks, no bathroom breaks, no lunch breaks, no breaks at all. Constantly house, to house, to house. Putting out pine straw the size of my house that takes... 8 hours.... Doing that in 4 hours... My boss loved to low ball jobs to get work, and we paid for it. He couldnt keep anyone on for more than a month at a time because they would all quit. I was working a 1099, getting screwed over on my taxes (i was NOT a sub-contractor, showed up at the same place, every day, paid by the hour, taking orders from the same guy... Not a sub contractor... He was cheating the system so I couldnt get over time, he wasnt liable for anything, etc, etc)... I mannaged to hold my own, getting done very fast, moving along etc... Did great for a month, then it was the time of year to aerate yards, about 100 degrees outside, 80% humidity... Fighting a 300 pound machine, having to turn it, fight it from tipping over... Got very dehydrated but I had drank soo much water I was about to pass out, remember, no breaks for the labor... Got done with 6 yards (something that is supost to take you ruffly 3-4 hours a yard, we did in about 4 hours TOTAL). Most of this time, my boss was in the truck making phone calls or smoking cigs... Had to gas up the arator because we ran through over 6 gallons of fuel (that's alot)... Boss told me to fill it up at the gas stasion, we went in to get a poweraide or something, he didnt tell me what pump he was putting money on (we were hauling a trailer and took up two pump spots)... Well, needless to say, got a bit chewed out over it... Told him I quit, on the spot. Never got my last check (it was a monday, new time cards started that day), never gave him my social... Yep... Worse job I ever had.

Put it this way, this guy couldnt keep Mexicans employed there because even they couldnt handle the work load... He low balled jobs, worked labor too hard, they went else where... But this economy is soo bad with so many out of work unskilled laborers he could get away with it all day. Put an add on craigslist that night, new labor the next morning.
 MusicXLover019
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/24/2011 2:45:22 PM
I worked at a walmart in the photo lab section. It was one of the most frustrating jobs I ever had. There was often times when Id work eight hours, and I'd be stuck in there alone. I eventually quit because my hours got cut from full time to a empty six hours a week.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2011 3:58:30 PM
Unless, you have been in the business of killing other humans, this other whinefest is trivial and mundane. It does not matter that decades pass, nor that equipment kills innocent people miles away or decades away an un-exploded ornance keeps on killing.

In actuality, killing others is the worst job ever, far beyond the killing floor toward other mammals. Imagine the conflict between an upbringing of ethics, a total refutation of those religious teachings and social ethics, then a sudden and complete reversal that is designed to reverse any code of ethics that we grew up with. It is all confusing for older teenagers. The lies from All ends of that propaganda take their tolls for the rest of offered lives and souls, families and friends. Thank the gods, that my nephew is finally doing AA meetings, a decade after he fell apart, got out of jail finally, wears the ankle brace, lost the home, wife, dog, and much of family.

A million familes or more, are just trying to survive the latest wars. Just trying to understand and learn to live with, this new person that came home. That person just trying to come back to a home forever lost in his/her heart. The pity parties in this thread are pathetic compared to what we put the kiddos through.
 Fleuron
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/24/2011 6:07:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^ Wow, chill. The intent of the OP:

So, just for fun, what was the worst job you ever had ?

Notice: “just FOR FUN…..”

Have some eggnog and relax.
 kari135
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2011 6:15:41 PM
No one is guaranteed a 'good' life. It's whatever you choose to make of it. There are a lot of things that once you know, there's no way to UN-know again. My husband had substantial PTSD (not related to military service) and we had quite a few friends who were vets with PTSD, complete with flashbacks into a different reality. It can be a hard thing to live with. And one of the things I found most disturbing was the lack of compassion by other vets who didn't have it. But that's been a major thing in my life, not in many other people's lives.

Everyone has different things they consider to be a major stressor, no matter whether it's losing a job, having something reposessed, being alone and miserable at being lonely during holidays, breaking an ankle and knowing they'll never be able to ski again. I do my best not to judge others on what they find to be most difficult. If it's hard for them, then it's hard for them. I may not relate to it - frequently I don't, in fact - but that doesn't change how they feel.

I know people who are disabled or are taking care of a severely disabled child. That's something I can relate to and/or empathize with. But the ones I relate to are the ones who have a real, positive, upbeat attitude. If they whine or complain, I avoid them.

So - to all who still have a positive attitude about whatever cards life deals them, Happy Holidays. And to those who whine and complain, you have a great holiday season, too.
 lovesblind831
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/31/2011 2:08:10 AM
My first job as a dish washer. I reeked of dirty food and was always soaked in water, getting paid minimum wage. Even though it's not a bad job, I'd have to say my job at the moment as a machine operator. Same motion and brainless work. It pays descent, I just don't like it because it's not what I was trained in or went to school for, which is graphic design.
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/31/2011 2:45:59 PM

Posted By: cdn_iceman on 12/20/2011 926 AM
Subject: Worst Job You Ever Had...
Message: I was 16 or 17 years old, and My best friend Dad owned a business that washed soiled linens from nursing homes,retirement homes etc, it was for the summer it was hot outside, hot inside and putting soiled, urinated linen in a washing machine for 8 hours a day, I think I lasted 4 weeks couldn't take it anymore.

4 weeks? You are much tougher than I am. I didn't make it through the training session! haha.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/31/2011 2:51:01 PM
Believe me 1763 It was tough, if it wasn't for the paycheques in the beginning I would of walked after 2 days it was brutal lol, they paid way above minimum wage and I can see why.
 jojoaus
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 6:09:14 PM
One of the worst was working in a nursing home. I was about 19 I think, and having to change catheter bags, scrub between the folds of large ladies at bath time, and empty foul smelling chamber pots every day was a real eye opener. Also, I was a casual employee to cover those who were away and once I worked 19 days straight. I lasted about 4 months... got too stressed by never having time off.

As a newly-wed age 23, prior to leaving England for Australia with my new husband, I worked for an employment agency and did whatever. I spent several weeks covering someone in a factory that made shampoo bottles, mascara wands, moisturiser tubs etc. It was mind-numbingly dull and I didn't know whether to be offended or pleased when I 'made the grade' and was offered full time work The upside of the agency was I also got to work as a porter in an eye hospital. I was the first ever female porter, and was allowed to watch the operations!! I loved it.

My daughter is 20 and to fund her uni studies, she works for Telstra answering queries about bills and fixes internet problems. I would rather scrub old ladies I think.....
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:12:34 PM
The worst job I had was not the worst bec. of the JOB, but the co-workers & no comraderie.
a bunch of nasty, lying mean girls (who were middle aged)- they smoked all the time, taking many many breaks & if it wasn't that, they were guzzling coffee, leaving early, or calling in sick.

anyone who came to work there that seemed normal or nice quit
 MsMicki
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 9:03:07 PM
toss up between
sorting tomatoes....(yep, I did it too)
and plucking chickens...8 hours a day of plucking the feathers off of freshly killed chickens...
coming in close is working at the Seed Plant during harvest.....I worked on the line sorting corn....and on the days it was raining....the smell of wet corn husks and cobs....ugh......something you will never forget.
 RobF02
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/1/2012 11:09:02 PM
The worst job I ever had was when I was working for a candy shop in the airport. The candy wasn't bad if you weren't educated in how candy was made-otherwise they were cheap and taking advantage of public ignorance and impulse shopping. The shop sold so little candy that they had to also sell things like knicknacks,sweaters, ice cream bars and soda. Basically turning itself into a convenient store and not a candy store. Valentines day fell on a weekend and we were selling chocolate dipped strawberries. By Sunday the strawberries were spoiling, but we were told to keep selling them and just change the paper underneath so the spoiled strawberry liquid would not run everywhere. I felt so bad about lying to the customers because I felt I was making them sick. My manager was skimming off the top of the nights profits,but I was being blamed for it and it was his word against mine.
 Rokei57
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2012 1:44:38 PM
Many years ago when people actually used cloth diapers, I drove a diaper laundry truck collecting diapers from houses. Oh Lordy was that disgusting.
 ce929wax
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/3/2012 5:32:20 PM
I spent one Sunday afternoon in a plastics factory in June. It was 100 degrees outside and 140 in the factory. I got sick and then got fired.
 MaximumPower
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/14/2012 3:53:38 PM
I once worked in a warehouse testing and fixing printers.

First, lift the printer off the conveyor belt and unbox it. Lift the printer and place it on the testing station. Connect the printer cables and test the printer. Fix the printer if necessary. Disconnect the cables from the printer, box it, and place it on a different conveyor belt.

The warehouse was very dusty. The warehouse floor was all hard concrete.

Commute was 50 miles each way. Lunch was 30 minutes.
Dress shoes required.

It was my fault. I had never taken a job requiring me to stand in the same spot for 8 hours. Slave!
 ben1734
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/15/2012 5:11:41 AM
making pallets and doing cleaning in a kmart will never do sometthing like that again to stressful?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Worst Job You Ever Had...