Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dwsgirl
Msg: 188
Atheism and DatingPage 10 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
well, In my opinion...and Just a matter of my personal preferance, I would want to know if someone was an atheist right off the bat. Why? Because if I am looking for someone to grow with in many different areas, it would, for me, also include, growing together as a couple in a "spriritual" way. So, this would matter to me.
 _shakti_
Msg: 189
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 12:48:38 AM

I think the reason you've ended up feeling mocked is that you probably believe in a great many things which haven't been explained in scientific terms, and since many atheists tend to require scientific evidence, it becomes hard for them to accept a logically built up structure of beliefs, when the foundations of those beliefs are unsound. - From that point of view, would you agree that your beliefs can be seen as delusional?
If my beliefs appear delusional to someone, why would they want to date me? It's not like I hide who I am and what I think/believe in that respect.

And seriously, why would a lack of agreement automatically equate to mockery? Rather telling logic there...
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 190
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 1:55:19 AM
I agree with that ~ I don't think that feeling someone's beliefs are delusional would made for a good relationship.

If someone has strong beliefs, which are an important part of their life, then being with someone whose beliefs conflicted would not be a great match
 pipedreams1111
Msg: 191
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 3:22:20 AM
I don't think it matters whether or not I date someone that calls themselves an Atheist, I could respond by saying I am a plumber. What ever they are going to say about their religion is not going to have an effect on me just like my believing in god is not going to have an effect on them. If it does I guess that's their problem.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 192
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 4:29:15 AM
i cannot date anyone who believes in, and worships the god of the christian bible. here is an example why.

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

there are plenty of such lines in the bible that talk about killing people for stupid nonsense like this. if people actually followed the crap in the bible to the letter, everyone would be dead by now. it has also been my experience that the people who claim to be of certain faiths that are supposed to believe in this bible have never actually read it. as an atheist, i usually know more about it than they do.

if you want to believe in that sort of thing, go right ahead. im just not going to try and have any sort of meaningful relationship with such a woman.
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 193
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 2:01:30 PM

I have more concerns with God NEEDING to be worshipped.... That's the part I have the most trouble with....

When someone makes demands like, "Where's your proof?", that's what I find annoying. I'm not here to answer anyone's demands. If I don't agree with someone's beliefs then I certainly don't make demands of them. Why would I? They're entitled. Whether I agree or disagree isn't their concern and I wouldn't expect anyone to have concerns about what I believe
 Maleman999
Msg: 194
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 2:36:06 PM

The only time I wanna hear about god in my relationship.........is when my partner fuks me like he owns me

Suddenly I feel all religious and tingly inside. Where can we meet up to get more of that god feeling? lol
 _shakti_
Msg: 195
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 6:45:50 PM
SSM:
Your religious beliefs do not define everything about you. They do not dictate if you are good company, they do not dictate if you are pretty, they do not dictate your sense of humour, your religious beliefs are NOT normally the single largest criterion for a guy who is trying to figure out if he wants to date you.

A lack of agreement doesn't automatically equate to mockery. A lack of agreement opens up the possibility of mockery, and the larger the disagreement, the larger the possibility.

Is it easier to mock someone who follows Zen Buddhism, or someone who has based their religion on flying moon cows that ride pink unicorns to go and visit Tom Cruise for the universe's sexual olympics, and who decide who runs the illuminati based on who has smallest schlong? - If you're anything like me, you're more likely to mock the people believing in the more outlandish and ridiculous things - like flying moon cows that ride unicorns!!!
To be honest, I just thought it strange that you were telling me why I felt mocked.. I mean, really? And now you've gone to great lengths to explain your reasoning. Interesting.

I don't typically mock people for what they believe, though I will admit that some beliefs are easier to accept than others. It's easy to figure that one out though, the beliefs closest to mine are easier to accept. We all have our own bias after all. What intrigues me the most is often what seems to underlie the beliefs (or lack thereof).

As for disagreement, in many ways I prefer it. Without exposing myself to the differing views of others, I wouldn't have grown quite as much as I have and I wouldn't trade that for anything.
 RedneckSavant
Msg: 196
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 8:04:52 PM
God created Us, for Us, to create Him.
 _shakti_
Msg: 197
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 8:11:07 PM
^^ Kinda like the Wizard of Oz :)
 RedneckSavant
Msg: 198
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 9:44:14 PM
We created God, for Him, to create Us.
 _shakti_
Msg: 199
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 9:47:34 PM
Either way it's a dialectic relationship, kinda cool :)
 grumpy69169
Msg: 200
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/5/2012 4:37:56 PM
Whether you are an atheist or not most people will scream and holler "Oh God I am coming"
 klc2007
Msg: 201
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/6/2012 11:18:06 PM
I dated a guy who went into it knowing I was an atheist...eventually he couldn't take it. I'm not sure why though, I didn't disrespect his religion in anyway. It apparently was just something he thought about a lot and it just bothered him...I think he cried at some point as well over it.
 kingman02485
Msg: 202
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 9/5/2012 10:33:31 PM
Thais is what I love lol. I'm atheist and could tolerate and date someone who is a believer yet a lot of them couldn't tolerate me. Not all Atheists are anti-religion, I just choose not to believe. Believe whatever you want.

I was actually on a date with a girl I met from here and she went to a Catholic high school and asked what religion I was. Well I knew date was going to be over but she actually asked me "How do you know how to be a good person then?" My immediate response was "You need a book to tell you what's right and wrong?"

Date over lol.
 WelcomeToEarf
Msg: 203
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 9/7/2012 8:06:03 AM
As a non-denominational Christian myself, I'm typically only interested in contacting women who list Christianity–or some denomination therein–as their religion.

Why? Because while religion may not dictate every little detail of a person's personality (in my experiences and understanding, Christianity in its purest sense isn't designed to), a person's religious beliefs serve as guidelines for what WILL inform much of how they go about life. And most people don't want to settle down with a person whose life views are fundamentally different than their own.

Sure, there are interfaith marriages, but I personally don't see that being a fit for me. Have I contacted women whose theology/philosophy differs from mine? Sure, on occasion, and had any real conversations popped up I would have been able to tell rather quickly whether or not that difference in core values would have prevented anything long-term.

And yes, I understand that many users on the site simply list the religion they were brought up in, regardless of whether they still practice or even truly believe it or not. Again, in any situation where that's the case, I think after some lengthy early chats it would be apparent to me if I'm talking to a person of faith or a person of convenience. I'd rather date an open-minded, respectful atheist than a well-meaning but close-minded brat who perceives God as more of a genie that's supposed to grant her wishes if she is "good."

But many "religious" people (myself included) would just find it hard to share a life with someone that they can't share and (potentially) pass on their core beliefs with, especially when their faith beckons them to continue it as such. For me, a lot of it has to do with looking ahead, down the road, not just in the here and now.

Would I be upset to find out that a person I've invested interest and significant time in was, indeed, atheist? Probably not. It likely wouldn't get that far in the first place, especially if they're up front about it. The only variable is that "Non-religious" on this site could just as well mean "atheist" or "agnostic." But either way it's a gamble as to how receptive and accommodating to my own beliefs the other person will be. If it works it works; if it doesn't it doesn't. I'm just erring on the greater possibility of the latter.
 Googleplus
Msg: 204
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 9/7/2012 10:06:08 AM

If my beliefs appear delusional to someone, why would they want to date me? It's not like I hide who I am and what I think/believe in that respect.

Because you're hot.

Ok, seriously I am Agnostic. I think I would have problems dating an atheist. When abortion comes to discussion, we don't agree ( I am strongly against abortion). Other than that I would have no problem dating an atheist as long they aren't bashing religion in front of me. I would date a religious/spiritual person as long they don't talk about the stuff. It's fine that person does whatever but I don't want to hear about god, meditation, prayers and all that stuff. I won't go to a church and if I ever decide to marry I won't marry in a church.
I used to be Christian not by choice. At one point I believe there was no god at all but with my research I find that very hard to believe.
 _shakti_
Msg: 205
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:22:04 AM

Because you're hot.

Googleplus
Msg: 206
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 9/7/2012 12:23:56 PM
Seriously dating is hard enough, factoring religion just makes much harder. No wonder I don't bother dating, people make things too complicated. At one time I was seriously considering being a buddhist monk. lol
 kingman02485
Msg: 207
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 9/7/2012 12:50:50 PM

When abortion comes to discussion, we don't agree ( I am strongly against abortion)

Why would you assume all atheists are pro choice?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating