Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Atheism and DatingPage 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I don't date anyone of any of the Eastern religions, because I never know what God is going to tell them to do...He talks to them directly, and makes sure I can't hear sh*t. If he tells one to kill my heathen infidel azz.....that doesn't give me time to lace up my running shoes. All those ancient Jewish born religions scare the crap out of me.

At least they are making some progress though....from the senseless slaughter of sheep to animal rights activist..... how times change. Ever wonder what God did with all those sacrificial lambs?.......I bet he ain't short on sweaters.

Why don't caucasians have their own religion? Charlie Brown gave us "The great pumpkin".....what was wrong with that?
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 52
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/1/2012 9:55:13 AM
No one but I find it funny when someone tries to convince there isnt a God..
 FortunateFoool
Msg: 53
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/1/2012 11:44:15 PM
The biggest issue atheists have with dating other atheists in America is finding other atheists!

If someone (anyone) asks (I never bring it up btw), I tell them I'm atheist because it is provoking (thought provoking that is.) Most people view me as a an affable, reliable, dependable, intelligent, honest young man (at least I like to think so-b/c thats what I strive for), with no tattoos, piercings, or multiple colored mohawks, devil horns, or forked tongue, so its usually a surprise for people to find out I'm atheistic because most people dont confess to being atheistic or avoid the conversation altogether, so I could be the only "atheist" they've ever met and most of them do have a completely different image built up in their head. But as a free-think, I like to evoke free thought, and as an educated cool tempered man I'm fully capable of efficiently defending my reasoning.

Some people I've had the god discussion with classify me not only as an atheist, but as a anti-theist,,,and its not far fetched, I am militant when it comes to organized religion, but its not the whole truth either. Truth is I dont care what you believe so long as your not indoctrinating children, addicts, or anyone mentally vulnerable; OR so long as your not financially profiting from said beliefs; OR so long as your not intolerant to anyone who thinks differently.

As an atheist, the only open atheist I've met was Richard Dawkins at a book signing I drove 3 hours out of my way for! I'm sure the other 244 people at that convention were open atheists as well but I didnt really discuss it w/ any of them.

I could date a religious person yes. I am even attracted to people who defend their reasoning as adamantly as I do b/c I enjoy debating, I enjoy the thought provoking!
BUT, there could be issues in the long term when it comes to child rearing. I would not attend church with my SO on a regular basis, and I certainly would not want my SO dragging my children along until they reach an age when they can form their own opinions on the matter and not be persuaded by a holy man who claims he has all the answers and threatens eternal hellfire.

As far as dating, my SO is my god (or goddess I should say). After all, we would have the capability to create life together!
 Aries_328
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:16:46 AM

Some people I've had the god discussion with classify me not only as an atheist, but as a anti-theist,,,and its not far fetched, I am militant when it comes to organized religion, but its not the whole truth either. Truth is I dont care what you believe so long as your not indoctrinating children, addicts, or anyone mentally vulnerable; OR so long as your not financially profiting from said beliefs; OR so long as your not intolerant to anyone who thinks differently.

Funny, I think the same things and I'm not an atheist.
Msg: 55
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:53:39 AM
Couldnt you just say "non-religious"

Me personally I dont believe in anything but "life" what I got right now, thats it.

Being religious just seems to be "clubs" that do nothing but serperate everyone into groups, and bring on hate towards each other. I never bring up religion on a date, its too Hott of a topic. You cant aks questions without getting slapped in the face with a bible
 Aries_328
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:08:28 PM

Non-religious can work. However, if the intention is an actual relationship even non-religious can hit the same problem. Religion has a lot to do with Culture, even for the non-practicing atheists. Christian’s culture is different from Jewish culture. It can lead to family pressures as well as difficulties during some of the normal cultural holidays. All of those things can be worked out but it is more complicated. You don't have to be religious to participate in Christmas... even Easter is hiding eggs and chocolate for the kids. But being of different cultural backgrounds where someone grew up Buddhist trying to date someone whose culture was Armenian Christian could get really complicated even if both of them were 100% non-religious and non-spiritual.

All of that doesn't even start to get into the daily lives of people of different cultures. How awkward would it be for a European atheist to have traditional Mexican dinner with the family of his atheist girlfriend’s Mexican family? It would be like going to a different planet. And that was just because his girlfriend’s sister just turned 16.

Atheism wouldn’t have anything to do with it. It is more about fitting with someone culturally then specifically about a belief in God. The sticking point is that most cultures have very strong ties with some form of religion and if someone has not rejected their heritage then that does include some form of belief in God. If God pisses you off it is a total rejection of the other person and their life. It’s understandable why it’s not a match. Why would anyone want to be around someone that holds disdain for their heritage? Same goes the other way around.

So, no reason to get all panties up in a bunch over religion. It will always remain as some form of disqualifier in both directions just as personality and looks. If it’s not a match, acknowledge it and move on. That doesn’t make either side any more or less intelligent, modern, or better.
So, it’s not impossible for it to work out, it is just more unlikely.
 FortunateFoool
Msg: 57
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 3:29:03 PM

Absolutely! In fact, they are one in the same! But like I said, the term "atheist" will make people gasp (quite literally) and I like to provoke thought. As Ghandi said "you must be the change you want to see in the world".

Me personally I dont believe in anything but "life" what I got right now, thats it.

Couldnt you just say "atheist"?
This btw is another issue fundamentalists have with atheists, I've been told 'it wouldnt work' by a religious women before anything developed b/c she believes in life after death; hence if we were to spend a 'life' together when that life is over we would be separated for eternity by heaven and hell .
 Aries_328
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 3:45:58 PM

hence if we were to spend a 'life' together when that life is over we would be separated for eternity by heaven and hell .

They say things like that because it is the upfront short answer. Basically the summary. Everything else in between matters just as much. It isn't a fundamentalist’s point of view. It's simple logic. It is belief in two opposing outcomes. Their outcome seems to continue on where yours ends.

Even if you say, that is fine I can live with that. It wouldn’t even make sense to someone that has a weak non fundamentalist spiritual belief. They don’t even get to joke to you about, “what if.” If you get sick, they can’t even hope. If you can’t resolve the opposing outcomes, how could they?

They may not explain it to you in a way that doesn't sound fundamentalist. Because any defense of it will always come out that way. It would be like trying to explain the color blue without using the color blue as an example.
Msg: 59
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 5:34:57 PM
How many heaven and hells do we have?

Eternity sounds fine with me
 Aries_328
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 5:47:59 PM

How many heaven and hells do we have?

I believe that would be one almost regardless of which one is belived in :)

All I know... if I wake up and I'm hungry... I am going to be pissed. If I am hungry that means its this same f*n game all over again.
Msg: 61
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 6:22:39 PM
We are now friends
 Maleman999
Msg: 62
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 8:18:42 PM
Growing up, It seemed like I became the national poster child for the ant-church brigade, which was a title I wasn't aiming for.

My parents made me go to Sunday school, which ended up being a big mistake-I was around 11 or 12 when all hell broke loose. Each week, the Sunday school teacher kept yammering on and on about feeling Jesus and God in my soul and Jesus is watching us at all times, yadda, yadda. I finally spoke up and made the horrible sin of saying something along the line of : "I don't feel a damn thing and I don't see anyone that looks like a Holy Spirit. How do I know all of this God and religious stuff is for real? Can you provide any real evidence that this stuff is true and there is an actual God?"

The Sunday school teacher was totally mortified. He was so upset, he walked out left us sitting there for about half an hour. He came back and canceled the rest of the class. Leaving the class and going into the church to be with my parents, I quickly realized that the word had spread like wildfire and everyone knew what I said in class-it is a small church, so everybody knows everybody there. After church, almost everyone made a point of coming up to me to verbally assault me for questioning the existence of God. I was called a Satan worshiper, the son of Satan, I was destined to go to Hell, etc. They even insulted my parents for raising a child of Satan and were told that they must take extreme measures to make me see the light or the whole family will end up in Hell.

So much for all of the church lessons of love thy neighbor, forgive people's sins, treat others as you would like to be treated, etc. Those rules only apply if you play the game and follow all of their rules. Otherwise, you end up in Hell.

So to answer the topic question, I wouldn't date anyone who is deeply religious. I could date someone who believes in God, no matter which God it is, as long as there isn't any attempt to convert me or "save" me.
Msg: 63
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/2/2012 8:35:10 PM
I don't date people who are hardcore anything.I don't care if it's atheist or members of peta.Hardcore people have anger issues that I just can't deal with.I like a peaceful existence with no yelling,screaming and talking down to others in it.They can't seem to manage that type of life and they are happiest when attacking and dragging down others.
 borazon
Msg: 64
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/6/2012 7:20:33 AM
I am non-religious.Though it doesn't matter to me which religion my partner belongs to.I tried reading books from the different religions and they all seem to be different ways of expressing the same thing.As far as I am considered,I don't need to fear the GOD to do the right thing.My conscience and education has made me able enough to take the right decisions.
 lDAVllD
Msg: 65
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/12/2012 1:17:07 PM
Wow....this is a magor delima for me also. But i can't fake it
..i refuse.
 lDAVllD
Msg: 66
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/12/2012 1:30:03 PM
I can't back down from it anymore...it's grotesque stupidity. I'm contemt being single if i have to suck up to idiots.
 lDAVllD
Msg: 67
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/12/2012 1:36:35 PM
They're morons that vomit out truth fot hocus pocus.
 lDAVllD
Msg: 68
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/12/2012 1:45:35 PM
Funny thing is...if they put one ounce of thaught into it.....they would arive at the same conclussion
Thats how religion works...refusal to think
 arwen52
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/12/2012 9:25:36 PM
There are some really funny replies here. Thanks you guys!

Non-believers are so much more fun.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 70
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 1/13/2012 2:39:24 AM

I never bring up religion on a date, its too Hott of a topic. You cant aks questions without getting slapped in the face with a bible

Not me. By date number two, they knew I was atheist. I used to say I didn't care what religion they were, but I gotta tell ya, having such fundamentally different beliefs and viewpoints on life makes having a fully functioning relationship quite difficult.
Yup, I gave up on that. I made sure I was dating atheist from that point forward.

The Sunday school teacher was totally mortified. He was so upset, he walked out left us sitting there for about half an hour. He came back and canceled the rest of the class. Leaving the class and going into the church to be with my parents, I quickly realized that the word had spread like wildfire and everyone knew what I said in class-it is a small church, so everybody knows everybody there. After church, almost everyone made a point of coming up to me to verbally assault me for questioning the existence of God. I was called a Satan worshiper, the son of Satan, I was destined to go to Hell, etc. They even insulted my parents for raising a child of Satan and were told that they must take extreme measures to make me see the light or the whole family will end up in Hell.

Wow. This is exactly why I stay the hell away from any and all kinds of church. Let the weak minded who don't question the obvious stick together and have fun doing it.
 Colemin8r
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:59:29 AM
I'm an atheist but I don't expect other people to share my views, nor do I push mine on them.

I dated a couple of women who said they were Catholic, but perhaps in upbringing only - certainly weren't practicing the Catholic faith! However, religion was never an issue for me in my situations.

Had either of the relationships gone the whole nine yards, then possibly... especially if children had entered the picture.

That said, there are many hot topics out there that people are either indifferent, ambivalent or feel strongly about, and religion is but one.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 72
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 2/14/2012 10:14:10 AM
Thank God for our freedoms. Lots of atheists on POF. Why am I not surprised?
 rec_diver
Msg: 73
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 2/14/2012 11:17:11 AM

nowinters: Thank God for our freedoms. Lots of atheists on POF. Why am I not surprised?

I'm very surprised at the number of athiests on POF.

It's rather refreshing to be among such good company.

I'm also not surprised at your post which is typical, thanking some invisible bearded clown in the sky for your freedoms when there's not a single shred of proof of existence of same, because as those of faith like to say "He does it to test our resolve" or something equally convenient and ridiculous.

I'm currently exclusively dating a woman who is also an atheiest.. and it's really nice.

Plus we have Sundays free!
 Unnamed_Artist
Msg: 74
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 2/14/2012 11:32:35 AM
Dating in the Bible Belt has been by far the hardest thing for me. Being a Black Atheist seems to be the worst of the worst, since most women of my race avoid me like the plague when they find out I'm not a 'child of god'...or any other woman for that matter, but it's better than faking that I am, just to score dates.
 Luke_Mason
Msg: 75
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 2/14/2012 11:33:10 AM
Everyone has the privilege to date who ever they want. But I'm not surprised when the Atheist ridicule others for their religious faith. Most be kind of awkward to still be an Atheist though after understanding how DNA works. Don't be surprised if this thread is eventually closed from the Atheist bashing religion.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating