Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 POKING-FUN
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Atheism and DatingPage 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
When I see your photo, I can't help but think of the phrase, 'ignorance is bliss'. I would have added 'believe what you want'; however, what's the point? I hope you never fly anywhere by plane. If you do, how can you possibly stand it? A plane requires air for lift but you can't see it either. What do you breathe? Air, you say? Prove it.

The absence of sound to the hearing impaired does not cause those of us to question its existence because another can't hear. What drives us nuts is how those who have the ability to hear choose not to. Beethoven was hearing impaired but that didn't stop him from finding joy in muzak.

My definition of ignorance: dismissing something one cannot see while overlooking that which can be seen.

You only believe in the empty value of zero because someone told you. In fact, it's the untwisted symbol of eternity - another gift from God.
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 108
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 4/28/2012 2:12:52 PM
One night a girl returned home in tears after seeing her fiancée.
Her mom asked her why she was crying. "oh, momma," she said. "I don't know how I can marry him when he doesn't believe in God and heaven!"

the mother said, "marry him, dear. We'll at least be able to prove there's a hell!"
 ArticLife
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 4/28/2012 6:29:16 PM
As atheists firmly believe there is no God, I can't see how a relationship can continue with someone who does believe in God. Deep down, they genuinely think that their partner is wrong // crazy.

It's easier for me, I consider myself Agnostic. I don't believe in God, nor do I say it's utterly impossible for God, or a type of higher power, to exist. Basically, I don't know. I don't think much about it because the odds are no one will ever truly know.
 cajuncooker
Msg: 110
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 4/28/2012 7:57:47 PM
i am sorry dont mean to offend any athiests out there but as a southern baptist I cannot date anyone who is not a christian. I think part of a relationship is relating spiritually and if you cant or dont have the same belief system then an important part of your relationship is missing.
I cannot date mormons or jehovahs witnesses pentecostals are borderline and chatholics are out. Faith has to be important because it is kinda sourrounds who you are and how you see things in life from money to child rearing to your stands on political and moral issues and the like.
so no i cannot date someone who is an athiest of course then nichi said god is dead and some religons say that man will become a god (as athiestic thinking is on some levels) so isnt man already dead?
 smashingmayo
Msg: 111
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 4/29/2012 12:25:20 AM
Seems to me practically everyone on these sites ARE atheist and now it's more impossible to find Christians, it seems. Blah.
 minervyx
Msg: 112
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 4/30/2012 7:45:01 PM
Most people on here aren't seriously religious though.

They are either atheist, agnostic, pagan, or they are Christian/Muslim, but not practicing.

Basically, you could get by as an agnostic.
 LastSunset
Msg: 113
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 4/30/2012 7:48:47 PM
Strange how some people assume that because you don't buy into their Judeo-Christian philosophy, That you have no ethics or values. I have friends that are very religious. And I respect their beliefs. We don't rub it into each others faces.
 Aries_328
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 4/30/2012 7:53:47 PM

We don't rub it into each others faces.

That is because you don't write your thoughts out semi anonymously and challenge them with why they are wrong in what they believe :)
 RyJFa
Msg: 115
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/1/2012 9:11:22 PM
I'm not shy about my atheism in person, though it's not something I tend to advertise here or on FaceBook. Generally speaking, I don't often have problems with people not accommodating my lack of faith - I think my generation has been raised in more diverse circumstances than several of the past, and thus are more open to various perspectives and points-of-view. Still, I have noticed differences in response rates when I publicly acknowledge myself as being "non-religious" or "atheist."
 smashingmayo
Msg: 116
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 1:33:29 AM
Funny, ^^^, because MOST atheists (especially on forums) DO show their lack of morals and ethics as they are almost always the oens who are harassing people, bashing religious people's beliefs, and just flat out tryignt o start arguments. Usually if there are threads which have a title related to anything at all dealing with religion, atheists can't help themselves from going in it, mocking the religion (well only Christianity, they're scared of muslims so don't mock them), etc.... Obviously they're not secure in their atheist stance, so they try to get validation from Christians by trying to force the Christian to be atheist. lol
 neck romancer
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 1:46:19 AM
^^^ the same can be said about Christians.. and from my point of view the Christians are the ones going over bored.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 5:57:20 AM
smashingmaqyo:

Read your own posting. The irony is dripping.

I get a kick out of those who see atheists as the ones 'bashing'.

When I travel in the USA I get a laugh flipping around the radio stations. There's always some station with a whacko Christian spewing his hatred. Worship the dead-guy-on-a stick or get skewered on Satan's pichfork and be BBQed for eternity.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 119
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 8:02:12 AM

Funny, ^^^, because MOST atheists (especially on forums) DO show their lack of morals and ethics as they are almost always the oens who are harassing people, bashing religious people's beliefs, and just flat out tryignt o start arguments. Usually if there are threads which have a title related to anything at all dealing with religion, atheists can't help themselves from going in it, mocking the religion (well only Christianity, they're scared of muslims so don't mock them), etc.... Obviously they're not secure in their atheist stance, so they try to get validation from Christians by trying to force the Christian to be atheist. lol

clang, clang, clang goes the irony bell.
If this isn't an advertisement to join an organized religion,
well, I just don't know what is.

*snicker*
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 120
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 12:13:55 PM
As atheists firmly believe there is no God

No, that's not the definition...

I consider myself Agnostic. I don't believe in God

THAT is what a-theistic means. Without ('a') theism -- not being theistic. Theism is putting forth a belief that there IS a God. All a-theism means is a lack of a belief purporting that there IS a God. Hence, the classical Agnostic (as you describe yourself, as am I) is an atheist, notably a 'weak atheist'. Someone who believes there is NO God is a 'strong atheist'.

But I will say, a classical Agnostic is NOT the "street definition" of Atheist, so maybe what I said up there doesn't apply to practical situations. :) Most common people who's your average-Joe American who, yes, believes in God, isn't going to think of a classical Agnostic as an Atheist -- they'll think of an Atheist as someone who believes there IS NO God.

I think if someone is a classical Agnostic, and they pair up with someone who is conservatively religious (xian/jewish/muslim/hindu/etc), they wouldn't get along as a pair. Much like someone who has part of their lifestyle being out for drinks a couple times a week isn't going to get along as a pair with someone who doesn't like drinking. In both situations, the strongly conservative religious person IS going to see the Agnostic as inferior in living life, and the anti-drinking person is going to see someone who likes going out on a weekend and weekday evening usually every week for drinks as an alky. They ain't going to mesh. :)
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 12:41:36 PM
"Smashingmayo" What do you think us agnostics and atheists should do to aquire all those morals and ethics you speak of? Would you be more impressed with us if we burned a few witches, started sending missionaries to foreign lands to steal their natural resources and take over their country? How about we unite with arms and ride through Christian communities and destroy the place....you know..our own version of your Crusades. Would you appreciate us more if we also had a few spin off organizations like the KKK. Sorry Mayo, that just isn't our style, so you'll just have to hate us until you're ready to kill us.....we are familiar with history.

Sorry about us forcing ourselves on you Christians Mayo....I guess we'll have to sell our bicycles and burn all those pamphlets we've been laying on your porch. Personally, I'm really going to miss banging your door down On Sunday morning to bring you the message that Mother nature loves you.

I'll tell you what Mayo, sense the vast majority of surgeons and doctors are at best agnostic, and your God has the power to heal....why do you keep sending your sick to hospitals?....just pray and let God take care of it.....it'll save you some money too!

Unbelievable hypocrisy in your post Mayo!.....but what's new!
 RyJFa
Msg: 122
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 2:01:25 PM
I think we can all agree that Smashingmayo doesn't make sense. There are a lot of ***hole atheists in the world, true, but most of us aren't bigoted in the least. I've spoken at several university discussion panels about atheism, and guess what? Some people on the atheist side of the table say unfair things about the Christians, and some on the Christian side of the table say unfair things about atheists.

You're not necessarily going to have a certain temperament just because you do or don't believe in religion. There have been very well-known and reputable atheists and agnostics who have spoken very little ill about personal faith.
 cajuncooker
Msg: 123
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 3:31:52 PM
Please dont not lump christianity which is a religion based on a god who loves and sacrificed for us in with muslims which is a hateful violent angery religion that distroys its members. Muslum and christian are about as far apart as chirtianity and wiccan/satanism
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 124
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 3:35:11 PM
They're both Abrahamic religions. They both have the 10 Commandments. Heck, in Islam, Jesus is viewed as the only perfect man to ever live. Two branches from the same tree.
 cajuncooker
Msg: 125
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 3:40:37 PM
I really dont attack anyones religion just state the facts of what they believe. And some of you are right you dont have to be christian to be a moralist. I know some very moral mormons and Jehovahs witnesses as well as catholics, budhists, hindus, pegans and the like. I dont think religion has to do with morals. But i believe if you are a christian your morals should be better.
I am a christian by God's great and loving grace, I am southern Baptist by personal choice. I think it is wrong to say OF MOST religions (not all but most) that there is morality in religion.
Now just because you are agnostic or athiest dosent make you a bad person. You can still have morality as much as christians, mormons, jehovahs witnesses, catholics, pentecostals ect may not be very moral at all.
It comes down to three things: Upbringing, religious/ persoanal conviction, and personal choice.
I personally cannot date and/ or marry someone who is not a christian myslef because I do believe a big part of the relationship is missing, a part that makes or breaks a relationship and that goes for all belief systems including athieism and aganostics.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 4:06:33 PM
Strykerdaddy:

">Please dont not lump christianity which is a religion based on a god who loves and sacrificed for us "

I'll lump all mythology together... Jesus ass kissers and Muslims. It's incredulous that any rational person could believe in this stuff in 2012. Fortunately the majority in some western countries no longer do. Unfortunately most Americans still wallow in this Jesus shit.
 playfulpete
Msg: 127
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:28:11 PM
I would have cried as well,for crying out loud you waited two months man how dare you wait that long
 smashingmayo
Msg: 128
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:47:54 AM
Ha. Good job proving my point about atheists, peeps. Also love when peple say Christians "spread hatred":, yet everything atheists say about Christians is hate towards them, and for dumb reasons. This thread is a good example of how atheists get in tehse little packs and try to mock and harass non-atheists. Meanwhile find me some threads where multiple Christians are in there bashign people. :)
 smashingmayo
Msg: 129
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:49:51 AM
sciencetreker, actually what's interesting and funny is those who believe in science for everything, when it's just a bunch of BS which always gets proven wrong anyway. Much mroe irratinal to believe in various scientific theoriees than to believe in Christ.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:09:19 PM

sciencetreker, actually what's interesting and funny is those who believe in science for everything, when it's just a bunch of BS which always gets proven wrong anyway. Much mroe irratinal to believe in various scientific theoriees than to believe in Christ.

English obviously isn't your first language. It's not mine either so I can overlook your bizarre grammar and spelling.

Science never claims to be 'right' . It's a process. In the meantime feel free to seek the truth through kissing the ass of your dead-guy-on-a-stick. I'm sure you'll be happy...after all, ignorance is bliss.
 jmark4
Msg: 131
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:46:54 PM
I appreciate and respect you being an atheist; I also think it's disrespectful and wrong to hide it just because you don't want to miss out on some women that do believe in God.

That's like a woman in her young 40's who knows she isn't having any kids anymore putting open/undecided on the kids section of her profile so younger guys that wan't kids won't blow them off.

Be real. If you aren't honest and real, then that is wrong. You are misleading someone. My goal is to get someone to care about me for me, not to lie to them or be dishonest so I can attract as many women as I can.

I would not date a non Christian; end of story. I want raise my kids to be Christian and I want that bond that a Christian couple has.

You see a lot of younger people not believing in God. Teaching for 10 years I see parents of today pretty much do anything and everything for their kids. They want for nothing. They don't really need any spirituality because they have no needs.

You want people to respect your beliefs, then respect theirs. Be upfront and tell them you are an atheist. First of all if this is your first meetup and she cries, there are other issues and I'd run away from that person anyways.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating