Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Atheism and DatingPage 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Strykerdaddy:

">Please dont not lump christianity which is a religion based on a god who loves and sacrificed for us "

I'll lump all mythology together... Jesus ass kissers and Muslims. It's incredulous that any rational person could believe in this stuff in 2012. Fortunately the majority in some western countries no longer do. Unfortunately most Americans still wallow in this Jesus shit.
 playfulpete
Msg: 127
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/2/2012 6:28:11 PM
I would have cried as well,for crying out loud you waited two months man how dare you wait that long
 smashingmayo
Msg: 128
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:47:54 AM
Ha. Good job proving my point about atheists, peeps. Also love when peple say Christians "spread hatred":, yet everything atheists say about Christians is hate towards them, and for dumb reasons. This thread is a good example of how atheists get in tehse little packs and try to mock and harass non-atheists. Meanwhile find me some threads where multiple Christians are in there bashign people. :)
 smashingmayo
Msg: 129
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:49:51 AM
sciencetreker, actually what's interesting and funny is those who believe in science for everything, when it's just a bunch of BS which always gets proven wrong anyway. Much mroe irratinal to believe in various scientific theoriees than to believe in Christ.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:09:19 PM

sciencetreker, actually what's interesting and funny is those who believe in science for everything, when it's just a bunch of BS which always gets proven wrong anyway. Much mroe irratinal to believe in various scientific theoriees than to believe in Christ.

English obviously isn't your first language. It's not mine either so I can overlook your bizarre grammar and spelling.

Science never claims to be 'right' . It's a process. In the meantime feel free to seek the truth through kissing the ass of your dead-guy-on-a-stick. I'm sure you'll be happy...after all, ignorance is bliss.
 jmark4
Msg: 131
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:46:54 PM
I appreciate and respect you being an atheist; I also think it's disrespectful and wrong to hide it just because you don't want to miss out on some women that do believe in God.

That's like a woman in her young 40's who knows she isn't having any kids anymore putting open/undecided on the kids section of her profile so younger guys that wan't kids won't blow them off.

Be real. If you aren't honest and real, then that is wrong. You are misleading someone. My goal is to get someone to care about me for me, not to lie to them or be dishonest so I can attract as many women as I can.

I would not date a non Christian; end of story. I want raise my kids to be Christian and I want that bond that a Christian couple has.

You see a lot of younger people not believing in God. Teaching for 10 years I see parents of today pretty much do anything and everything for their kids. They want for nothing. They don't really need any spirituality because they have no needs.

You want people to respect your beliefs, then respect theirs. Be upfront and tell them you are an atheist. First of all if this is your first meetup and she cries, there are other issues and I'd run away from that person anyways.
 jmark4
Msg: 132
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/4/2012 5:48:56 PM
p.s.; I'm in the medical field and I love science but I"ve seen miracles in peoples lives that even atheist doctors say something spiritual and miraculous is going on.

again, if you want to not believe in God cool. If you believe in God cool. But don't rip on those that you are interested in who will not accept your believes to date you. It's not your right to date anyone you want to.
 Maleman999
Msg: 133
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/5/2012 2:20:33 PM

Msg 155: p.s.; I'm in the medical field and I love science but I"ve seen miracles in peoples lives that even atheist doctors say something spiritual and miraculous is going on.

The same thing can be said about people who are healthy, lead a healthy life style, but end up with a serious illness anyway or drop dead without any warning signs of a medical problem. I don't think that all mysteries are the result of magical, spiritual hocus pocus. Chances are science is not advanced enough yet to explain every possible medical situation that can come up. Maybe in years to come, there will be a logical explanation for things that are a mystery now. Think of all of the things in technology and science that was a mystery decades ago, but are now common knowledge to people in the sciences.
 RyJFa
Msg: 134
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/5/2012 5:35:49 PM
p.s.; I'm in the medical field and I love science but I"ve seen miracles in peoples lives that even atheist doctors say something spiritual and miraculous is going on.

Really? How many examples can you point to? I can think of about two, and they both involve out-of-body experiences - funnily enough, a good number of scientists and physicians feel as if they could disprove either.

I won't pretend to be a medical expert, as I haven't even yet been accepted to medical school. However, as somebody who's spent several years in and around emergency departments, I can tell you that I also know a good number of atheists doctors and nurses, few of whom will portend to have witnessed miracles. Perhaps that's because so many patients never come back from the brink of death. Perhaps they also are familiar with terms like "spontaneous remission" and "hard work by physicians."

Do you know what's really crazy? Two men following a girl home, raping her in front of her mother, shooting her, and then stuffing her almost-lifeless body in the trunk of a car. Luckily enough, a neighbor called emergency services and an ambulance took her into our emergency department, where she was soon transferred to a higher floor in the hospital and died. Or the other woman who was gunned down with an AK-47 for no apparent reason. She also died. How about the soon-to-be-wife who lost her baby after being hit by a drunk driver? Not only would she not have that child, but due to trauma-related complications, she'll never have the chance to birth another.

I could go on and on and on. Good things happen in the world, yes, but to accept them as being genuine miracles, you have to turn a blind eye to the occasional horrors that take place all around us.

I appreciate and respect you being an atheist; I also think it's disrespectful and wrong to hide it just because you don't want to miss out on some women that do believe in God.

I can respect this point-of-view, but consider this: there are a good number of Americans who are wary of atheists only on principle. In areas where religiosity is the norm, a person who doesn't believe in God might not be as open about their disbelief as they'd perhaps be in New York City or Copenhagen.

I can't see a problem with retaining that sort of information initially, so long as it's released and made clear in subsequent and soon conversation. Opting not to select a religious preference should clue in anyone reading the profile that, in terms of spirituality, the writer is a non-traditional candidate, so to speak. If it mattered so much to one woman that Christianity is her partner's system of belief, she'd ask to clarify. Assuming that every person - especially young persons - is Christian just doesn't work any more.

You see a lot of younger people not believing in God. Teaching for 10 years I see parents of today pretty much do anything and everything for their kids. They want for nothing. They don't really need any spirituality because they have no needs.

You might be on to something. Did you know that more developed societies have a tendency to be less religious? Countries with the highest standards of living are, more often than not, composed of majority- or large minority-nonreligious populations.

When you're content with your lot in life, it sometimes because less-than-necessary to believe in something for which you have little good evidence. If I'm a student in Denmark, I don't have to worry about going into much debt for my college education. Rather than praying for scholarships and financial salvation, I'm forced to work hard, turning inward instead of relying on external and uncontrollable circumstances.

Please don't make the mistake of equating atheism or a lack of faith with parental laziness or neglect. Though I'm not qualified to speak on behalf of all my fellow nonbelievers, I can tell you this: I grew up in a room with no windows. When I sat on my bed, I could touch my feet to the opposite wall. I never got a new mattress in ten years, nor did I have anything beside a bedsheet for a door. Several years of my early life were spent in a camper-trailer, sharing the pull-out bunk with whichever dog felt like having some extra heat.

My circumstances were not ideal, though pale in comparison to what many children in other parts of the world must deal with. Certainly there were others even in America who were much, much worse off than me. And yet I never felt the need to believe, no matter difficult things were. My parents took great care of me, even if my quality of living wasn't half that of my neighbors on any side of the house.

I'm not going to draw conclusions about every Christian. I'm not going to generalize believers, because I know that there a good many of them who are more intelligent and successful than I'll ever be. In return for at least trying to remain neutral on issues of faith and reason, I ask that the same courtesy be returned to those of us who lack the same sort of faith as you and your religious cohorts - we're all people, and we're all living together and sharing the same planet. Let's not draw lines in the sand and criticize one another for trying to improve our lives in harmless ways.

And yeah, long post is long.

Much mroe irratinal to believe in various scientific theoriees than to believe in Christ.

As others have explained, science is a system based upon the collection of data and the drawing of conclusions from that data. We all know that certain scientific theories have been shot down and replaced with newer ones. That's how we, as a technological society, make progress. We'd never have the Internet without radios and satellites and land-lines. We'd never have had any of those inventions if not for centuries of testing and refuting various hypotheses on energy and electricity.

Science is not perfect, but it builds upon itself, slowly and surely. If a cave were found in Panama where gravity did not exist and light could not shine, then either an explanation would have to be found or we'd have to revise a number of crucial scientific principles. You don't get that with faith, because faith, by definition, is a belief in something which you can't test or touch or feel in any concrete and definite sense. All you get is a book full of beliefs - beliefs which, after thousands of years, must remain the same for fear of blasphemy and heresy.
 ThoughtfulJoker
Msg: 135
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/5/2012 7:17:40 PM
Advertise it. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble, and attract women with a higher degree of logic.
 RyJFa
Msg: 136
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/5/2012 7:28:51 PM
Meh. I've actually found that I'm hardly attracted to most women who explicitly consider themselves atheist. Many of them are definitely intelligent, but, uh, that's about it.
 musical_turtle
Msg: 137
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/8/2012 7:39:01 PM
I'm catholic, and I don't think I could date someone
who is an atheist. I feel it would be very awkward for me.
 dtt717
Msg: 138
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/8/2012 9:34:52 PM
the bible was a good novel. too bad the last christian died on the cross.

most atheists are really just trying to piss their religious parents off, and are confusing atheism with antitheism.

the true atheist would have no reason to proclaim such; the faux atheist in reality doesn't believe in himself, just his/her ego.

anyway like who really f*cking cares if you think there's a god or not... deal with it after you draw your last human breath.

true atheists are as equally ridiculous as religious people; both groups are based in ego. atheists are just usually more intelligent/open minded in terms of being free thinkers. richard dawkins makes a lot of valid points esp in The God Delusion... but it's more an extended invective on religion. he never delves into things like adamantine particles of the universe etc...which even quantum physics can prove to exist but not their origin...

if the OP ever told his chick that he loved her (or anyone for the matter), well then, he just admitted to believing in god.

he should have told her he believed in his dog...least it's the same letters lol

if there is a god; we're all it...

if there isn't, we'll then were all pretty f*cked
 kcomfort0001
Msg: 139
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/9/2012 4:05:14 AM
I don't have a problem with anyone's beliefs it only becomes an issue when its constantly being advertised.

Examples:
I'm christian
I'm homosexual

etc..etc..

I live in the south where this is a common occurrence as far as alot of Southern Baptists go, there are alot of religious zealots out there in every religion I'm sure.

But Southern Baptists tend to use the term " I'm Christian" as if Catholics, Methodists, etc..etc.. Aren't Christians.

I saw a poster that made me laugh in reference to this at one point

Religion is like a penis
Its fine to have one.
Its fine to be proud of it.

But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.
 Maleman999
Msg: 140
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/9/2012 6:43:13 AM
I never saw my cat pray to any cat God, and doesn't have a cat Bible, so any woman I date would have to accept my atheist cat.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/9/2012 6:48:32 AM
Any religious whacko who says he wouldn't date a hot atheist chick...or atheist who says he wouldn't date a hot religious chick is....delusional. Hormones trump beliefs any time.
 dtt717
Msg: 142
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 5/9/2012 9:42:36 AM
the main problem with religion is the same one of heaven, and that is that all the interesting people are missing.
 RUREADY4ME1831
Msg: 143
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 7/17/2012 10:20:55 PM
I totally agree with you. IF only the jnbeleiver would pray and ask GOD to show him....without him knowing it concieous GOD would answer. Sometimes it just takes a bad experience with you or a loved one to change your mind. That in my opionion is WHY GOD sllows bad things to happen...so uou will open your spirtual eyes and see. JESUS said....I am the WSY....THE TRUTH...AND THE LIFE...NO MAN comes to the father BUT by me. Think of how out inner body works to give us life....heart....lungd...and brain....without Blood you dur...please at least investifate and it us YOU who will open your heart up...you have a spirtual side....I just hope anyone reading this will at least give it a chance. You are a trinity.....you are a body...a soul...and a spirt...your spirt after death will spend somewhere....I hope it is in heaven....dknt beleive in HELL? It really dont matter....but you dont want to spend snytime there....think about it....
 xenolith23
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 7/18/2012 12:09:26 AM
In my opinion there are two kinds of people in the world, and they aren't atheists and christians. There are people who care/wonder/think about the ultimate nature of reality, and who care/wonder/worry/hate the cruelty in the world, and in themselves. And there are people who don't care/wonder/worry about the ultimate nature of reality, and who never lie awake nights tormented with regret over the cruelties they themselves have added to the world. You will find people who call themselves 'atheists' or 'christians' in both groups. Although I follow Jesus and believe in his supernatural reality, I may at times feel more emotional commonality with some atheists, who can be very serious, modest, ethically concerned people. And I may dislike some 'christians', who are only using religious belief to bolster their egotism and self-satisfaction. Even this thread shows evidence that not all 'atheists' think alike. I've been interested by the number of people who've stated they wouldn't date either an 'atheist' or a 'christian'. Some of them are maybe hedonistic people who are uncomfortable with any kind of moral seriousness. Some may want to avoid those they see as too aggressive or pushy. But underlying all this is a person's way of responding to ultimate reality. I'd argue that it's really about two ways: avoidance or engagement. Risk-taking or not risk-taking. The way I see it, angry, hardcore atheists--people who argue aggressively that there is no God, and that people who believe in Him are fools--are at least people who are taking a spiritual risk, who are making an existential CHOICE. I can respect that. They are treating the topic with the commitment and seriousness it deserves. I honestly feel I have more in common with someone who calls themself 'atheist' than someone who vaguely refers to themself as 'spiritual but not religious', or someone who goes to church because that's what people in their family tradition do. As for OP: yes, you have to state upfront that you are an atheist, because it's clearly important to you. Otherwise you wouldn't have created this thread. Be honest about your core beliefs because no relationship can be successful if you don't share them.
 rec_diver
Msg: 145
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:39:03 AM

sciencetreker :English obviously isn't your first language. It's not mine either so I can overlook your bizarre grammar and spelling.

Science never claims to be 'right' . It's a process. In the meantime feel free to seek the truth through kissing the ass of your dead-guy-on-a-stick. I'm sure you'll be happy...after all, ignorance is bliss.

I see this sort of thing and just shake my head. You have the ability to make a good argument but you water it down by insulting the guy, harping on spelling and grammatical errors and leveling cheap over used insults.

Just think how much more effective and meaningful your post would have been if it simply stated "Science never claims to be 'right' . It's a process." and left out the rest of it, or maybe threw in a few examples of how the world is a much better place because of technological advancements which are of course based on scientific principles.

I'm just trying to help
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 7/26/2012 10:56:09 AM

the main problem with religion is the same one of heaven, and that is that all the interesting people are missing[

So true. Think about eternity. If you were god, who would you rather have around your dinner table for a fun discussion? Mother Theresa, the church organ lady, Billy Graham?...good grief, that would wear thin. 'We love you, we love you, we love you...can we kiss your ass? YIKES!
No, any god with a brain would prefer stimulating intellectual conversation with Einstein, Marx, Freud Darwin...maybe even throw in Hitler now and then for comic relief....or Jimi Hendrix could bring out his guitar and rock out.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 7/26/2012 11:01:00 AM

...and leveling cheap over used insults.

No, no soft gloves. American fundies are sadists. when I'm in the USA I can turn on to a radio station 24 hours a day and hear their hatred...almost gleeful that those who don't kiss Jesus's ass are goihg to to be skewered on Satan's pitchfork and BBQ'd for eternity.

I don't tolerate racists or Christian whackos...Americans should get some guts and stop catering to these hatemongers.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 148
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 7/26/2012 4:03:36 PM
im also an atheist, and its not exactly helped me when it comes to dating. well, im more agnostic atheist than anything, but thats just being picky. i prefer to date women with similar views on religion and a vast majority of the women in my area are christian or catholic. the more religious someone is, the less likely i am to want to date them.
 Aries_328
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 7/27/2012 3:08:14 PM
It is a wonder that the either strong atheists or strong religious can ever have a serous long term relationship at all...

For strong religious a relationship is a meeting under God and who one can live up to that expectation
For strong atheists there is no such thing as a permanent love beyond self. if no one cares whats the point anyway.

haha Maybe this is why the 'best' quality anything usually goes away in favor of cheaper knockoffs.

The movie Idiocracy has a point... Who will have more children. Atheists or religious? What will happen in 100 years if there was an actual ban between the two. Who would win in the long run.
 rec_diver
Msg: 150
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 7/27/2012 3:28:32 PM

Atheism: im also an atheist, and its not exactly helped me when it comes to dating. well, im more agnostic atheist than anything, but thats just being picky. i prefer to date women with similar views on religion and a vast majority of the women in my area are christian or catholic. the more religious someone is, the less likely i am to want to date them.

I'm an athiest and I won't date a woman who isn't an athiest as well. I've got my standards.

Unless of course, she's a hottie. In which case I don't give a damn if she's a Jehova's witness.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating