Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 176
Atheism and DatingPage 8 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
The same happened when I stopped believing in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy. I lost the ability to love permanently. I guess that means atheists do not love their families or very close friends or their pets. How much Christian love-the eternal love that exists in spirit-was there during the Christian Crusades where countries were invaded and people were murdered for not believing in God, or any other religious based wars? Is that permanent love that exists in spirit?
 Aries_328
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/1/2012 12:58:24 PM
Just so I am clear

Go ahead, knock yourself out. Not much to do at the moment, so I daresay some of us are enjoying this. (A”love that exists in spirit,” indeed.) Giggle.

You are giggling because you do believe in love that extends beyond the self? I don't get your point. Please clarify.

If all the snickers here are because I said that Strong Athiests do not believe in Love that extends beyond self into the whole eternity thing therfor = permanent then please correct me. I don't mind being wrong.

I haven't moved a goal post. It is right here. |__|

Please explain your position that my statement is not a correct and accurate interpretation of a strong atheist position.
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 178
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/1/2012 1:46:09 PM
I get what you're saying ~ for athiests there's no eternal life so love is only temporary because they don't believe that there's a life after death
 abmccray
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/1/2012 2:12:45 PM

You are giggling because you do believe in love that extends beyond the self? I don't get your point. Please clarify.

If all the snickers here are because I said that Strong Athiests do not believe in Love that extends beyond self into the whole eternity thing therfor = permanent then please correct me. I don't mind being wrong.

I haven't moved a goal post. It is right here. |__|

Please explain your position that my statement is not a correct and accurate interpretation of a strong atheist position.

Firstly, your...prose is really hard to follow, so it's hard for anyone to figure out what you're trying to say.

However, the only "fact" we know about love is that it's an internal, explainable emotion that has a fluid definition according to the person using it. So, how love can go outside of "self," given that it's a subjective, internal emotion, is the first thing you'd probably need to explain for us to understand what you're saying.
 joe5
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/1/2012 3:41:34 PM
Aries_328 Who are these "strong atheists" you speak of? please tell me what makes someone a "strong atheist" or someone just an Atheist? There is no degree to not believing in god or gods! I don't believe in god or gods, there is not a degree to it, I can't not believe in god or gods more than someone else doesn't believe in them! I can be more vocal about my disbelief, but that is irrelevant to NOT believing.

And why are people giving the word 'love' some magical meaning? Love is just a word to describe caring. You can love your mother, your sister, your car, your computer, your dog and your girlfriend/boyfriend or husband/wife. It means you care about something. And then you can put a degree on the caring of said items/persons. I care about my computer, but not as much as i care about my mother. Love is just another word that means caring, and I am not devaluing anyone's degree of caring for someone by describing it as so, we all place a degree of caring on are items, friends, family members, sexual partners, that is normal.
 jeep1127girl
Msg: 181
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/1/2012 3:53:33 PM
I had this guy send me a message with no pic and he was atheist...lol...I dont date fools. Or like ex coworker who was an atheist and tried to convince me there was no God, he only made himself look like a fool.
What is it? Th whole world lies in the power of the wicked one?
 Aries_328
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/1/2012 6:04:05 PM
Joe5, At least you caught that line. No one else seemed to notice. You would probably fit because of your disrespect that you already described.

Also, you verified what I said. It isn't anything but feelings. That was my point. It isn't magical. It just means you care about something to some degree. Nothing more or less. It doesn't mean you care more or less than anyone else either. It is just biological, physiological, psychological, and chemical reactions which serve sometimes known and unknown purposes but in general is related to survival of the species.

Would you disagree with any of that?
 Aries_328
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/1/2012 7:36:06 PM
I meant the lack of respect you described. "Your disrespect," could be taken out of context too easily.
 joe5
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/1/2012 10:06:51 PM

I can relate to the theist, I was baptized as one, attended two catholic schools as well. I know that the majority of theists are just afraid to question anything they were taught about their religion as kids. Fear is the base for every rule, without fear a rule has no ability to hold power, dictate, command authority. All rules in every form must have fear behind them or they have no reason to be followed. Religion is a rule system, and only holds power through fear, simple as that. For the average theist the consequence for breaking the rules is not worth the risk to even question the rules. Most people fall into..."Well, if you are wrong about God you go to hell. But if i am wrong about God i just go in the ground." They want to believe they are special, they want to believe their God knows they are a good person and will help them. They don't want to be the guy on the news who gets killed by a bus, the women who dies of cancer across the street, the family who loses their home in a fire. These people will never stray from that thought, they see no point in questioning it. I get them, I just don't respect them.

aries, I assume you are talking about my "disrespect for them" meaning theists, as in the manner my own paragraph above finished with. I phrased that wrong. I do not mean that i don't respect theists because they believe in god or gods, as I treat no human as less human than myself or anyone else. I simply don't respect their beliefs. I clearly should have phrased the last line different.
Example: I wouldn't address a priest as 'father'. He is not my father and I do not respect the position.
And what follows would be a more detailed example of what i do not respect about many theists: I find a lot of theists to be very selfish people who feel they are favored by their god. I am related to a few of these people i speak of. These people say they are "blessed" by a god, and to be blessed is to be favored. And if someone feels they are blessed, favored by god, then they must acknowledge that there are people who are not blessed by god as well. That is a very selfish though to have, feeling that your god cares for you more than someone else. It's these people that I speak of whom I find to be the most selfish and disrespectful people i know of.
 Aries_328
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/2/2012 1:01:54 AM

That is a very selfish though to have, feeling that your god cares for you more than someone else. It's these people that I speak of whom I find to be the most selfish and disrespectful people i know of.

Yep, people suck. Makes for great relationships doesn't it.
 abmccray
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/2/2012 8:07:12 AM

Also, you verified what I said. It isn't anything but feelings. That was my point. It isn't magical. It just means you care about something to some degree. Nothing more or less. It doesn't mean you care more or less than anyone else either. It is just biological, physiological, psychological, and chemical reactions which serve sometimes known and unknown purposes but in general is related to survival of the species.

Would you disagree with any of that?

The Bible doesn't say it's anything magical; in fact, it used specific Greek terms to describe and quantify different types of loves, so where the heck are you getting this "magic" from?
 Aries_328
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/2/2012 8:20:34 AM
The Bible doesn't say it's anything magical; in fact, it used specific Greek terms to describe and quantify different types of loves, so where the heck are you getting this "magic" from?

I never said anything about definitions from the bible. If you don't understand what I am referring to by saying love is magical than I really don't have a way to teach you modern western culture.
 dwsgirl
Msg: 188
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/2/2012 2:23:18 PM
well, In my opinion...and Just a matter of my personal preferance, I would want to know if someone was an atheist right off the bat. Why? Because if I am looking for someone to grow with in many different areas, it would, for me, also include, growing together as a couple in a "spriritual" way. So, this would matter to me.
 _shakti_
Msg: 189
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 12:48:38 AM

I think the reason you've ended up feeling mocked is that you probably believe in a great many things which haven't been explained in scientific terms, and since many atheists tend to require scientific evidence, it becomes hard for them to accept a logically built up structure of beliefs, when the foundations of those beliefs are unsound. - From that point of view, would you agree that your beliefs can be seen as delusional?
If my beliefs appear delusional to someone, why would they want to date me? It's not like I hide who I am and what I think/believe in that respect.

And seriously, why would a lack of agreement automatically equate to mockery? Rather telling logic there...
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 190
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 1:55:19 AM
I agree with that ~ I don't think that feeling someone's beliefs are delusional would made for a good relationship.

If someone has strong beliefs, which are an important part of their life, then being with someone whose beliefs conflicted would not be a great match
 pipedreams1111
Msg: 191
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 3:22:20 AM
I don't think it matters whether or not I date someone that calls themselves an Atheist, I could respond by saying I am a plumber. What ever they are going to say about their religion is not going to have an effect on me just like my believing in god is not going to have an effect on them. If it does I guess that's their problem.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 192
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 4:29:15 AM
i cannot date anyone who believes in, and worships the god of the christian bible. here is an example why.

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

there are plenty of such lines in the bible that talk about killing people for stupid nonsense like this. if people actually followed the crap in the bible to the letter, everyone would be dead by now. it has also been my experience that the people who claim to be of certain faiths that are supposed to believe in this bible have never actually read it. as an atheist, i usually know more about it than they do.

if you want to believe in that sort of thing, go right ahead. im just not going to try and have any sort of meaningful relationship with such a woman.
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 193
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/3/2012 2:01:30 PM

I have more concerns with God NEEDING to be worshipped.... That's the part I have the most trouble with....

When someone makes demands like, "Where's your proof?", that's what I find annoying. I'm not here to answer anyone's demands. If I don't agree with someone's beliefs then I certainly don't make demands of them. Why would I? They're entitled. Whether I agree or disagree isn't their concern and I wouldn't expect anyone to have concerns about what I believe
 Maleman999
Msg: 194
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 2:36:06 PM

The only time I wanna hear about god in my relationship.........is when my partner fuks me like he owns me

Suddenly I feel all religious and tingly inside. Where can we meet up to get more of that god feeling? lol
 _shakti_
Msg: 195
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 6:45:50 PM
SSM:
Your religious beliefs do not define everything about you. They do not dictate if you are good company, they do not dictate if you are pretty, they do not dictate your sense of humour, your religious beliefs are NOT normally the single largest criterion for a guy who is trying to figure out if he wants to date you.

A lack of agreement doesn't automatically equate to mockery. A lack of agreement opens up the possibility of mockery, and the larger the disagreement, the larger the possibility.

Is it easier to mock someone who follows Zen Buddhism, or someone who has based their religion on flying moon cows that ride pink unicorns to go and visit Tom Cruise for the universe's sexual olympics, and who decide who runs the illuminati based on who has smallest schlong? - If you're anything like me, you're more likely to mock the people believing in the more outlandish and ridiculous things - like flying moon cows that ride unicorns!!!
To be honest, I just thought it strange that you were telling me why I felt mocked.. I mean, really? And now you've gone to great lengths to explain your reasoning. Interesting.

I don't typically mock people for what they believe, though I will admit that some beliefs are easier to accept than others. It's easy to figure that one out though, the beliefs closest to mine are easier to accept. We all have our own bias after all. What intrigues me the most is often what seems to underlie the beliefs (or lack thereof).

As for disagreement, in many ways I prefer it. Without exposing myself to the differing views of others, I wouldn't have grown quite as much as I have and I wouldn't trade that for anything.
 RedneckSavant
Msg: 196
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 8:04:52 PM
God created Us, for Us, to create Him.
 _shakti_
Msg: 197
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 8:11:07 PM
^^ Kinda like the Wizard of Oz :)
 RedneckSavant
Msg: 198
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 9:44:14 PM
We created God, for Him, to create Us.
 _shakti_
Msg: 199
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/4/2012 9:47:34 PM
Either way it's a dialectic relationship, kinda cool :)
 grumpy69169
Msg: 200
Atheism and Dating
Posted: 8/5/2012 4:37:56 PM
Whether you are an atheist or not most people will scream and holler "Oh God I am coming"
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Atheism and Dating