Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > When you give your phone number do you expect calls or texts?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 31
When you give your phone number do you expect calls or texts?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I actually got really upset with someone recently who decided to text me instead of call. Maybe I should expect that most people think it's ok and I should clarify when I give someone my number NOT to text me. But then I told the guy to please stop texting me, and he texted me again to tell me to go on IM (I don't even use IM, and that's another chicken-$hit way of communication when you have the person's number). I just hate, hate, hate when someone tries to have a conversation with me over text. There's not much more frustrating to me than holding a text conversation.
 wcratz2012
Msg: 32
When you give your phone number do you expect calls or texts?
Posted: 1/13/2013 4:39:01 PM
I'd have to say if you ever get to date.
 stylinsue
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/7/2013 7:03:32 PM
I had a date about 3 weeks ago that went great, but prior to meeting we had only ONE eight min phone call ,cause I initaied it and we txted pretty much the whole time...... soooo we have our date.. great ... sooo now im expecting a phone call cause the ice is now broken , right? wrong. he continues to txt me... he did txt md right after the date in my way home to say lets do this again and I said that would be great.

now the next day, no call the day after no call.. just txt txt txt.. which Is fine during the day , but he should be making at least one call if he is really excited about me.

sooo I decide that to stop answering his txts as often as I was and mayb he will get the hit to dial the phone!!! nope..... so a week later I see him online I write him and say good luck and he never CALLED so I guess you're not interested. soooo he immediately TXTS me and says " I've been txting you all week, I don't understand your email?"

NO KIDDING!!!! lol... so I said in a txt back... " can I ask you something?, do you think a txt is the same thing as a phone call"? he never responded.................. and that was that.

moral of the story............... if the guy is really excited about you, he is making the call, he is making a plan to see you again. If the guy wants to hide behind a txt, he is often hiding some thing else!!!!
 abmccray
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2013 7:49:03 AM

moral of the story............... if the guy is really excited about you, he is making the call, he is making a plan to see you again. If the guy wants to hide behind a txt, he is often hiding some thing else!!!!

No, this is not true. And it's probably why the guy stopped talking to you - because you seemed imbalanced to him.

Phone calls, letters, telegrams, emails, IMing, and video chatting are all stopgaps to actually seeing the person in person, or different ways of long range communication. The goal is to SEE the person, and how you choose to communicate in the meantime changes with the times. Texting is becoming the "preference" in this age because it's more convenient and less intrusive than a phone call (and quicker, in many ways). So, for instance, with a phone call, you have to wait for both parties to be home and take out a chunk of their time to sit and idly talk - with texting, you can respond during breaks at work, while out and about, etc. at your convenience.

If the goal is actually seeing each other and conversation, the in-betweener way of checking up on the person doesn't really tell you anything, it's just personal preference. It's not "hiding" in any manner to text by default, any more than it was "hiding" to write letters or use email or the phone.
 CyclistWill77
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 11:10:23 AM
Texting is rude and impractical. I can't stand texting. I don't even respond to text messages if someone sends them to me. They go directly to the trash. If I wish to communicate with someone, I want to talk to them. Besides, it takes far less effort to call a phone # and talk with someone than it does to try and text a person. In my book a text message show just how little you care.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2013 1:35:04 PM
I expect a phone call too. If I wanted to read text I would continue e-mail. I don't text ever and say so. It's never been a problem for me with men whom I am attracted to. The only time I would reactivate my text plan is either if I needed it for my job (which I don't) or if I was in a serious, committed relationship, or a relationship that's heading that way.

I know some people get annoyed by it because it seems old school but I get annoyed too when I am pressured into a communication method that I don't find useful. I don't even like phone conversations that much. I prefer face to face. A lot! But between text and phone I would prefer phone/email to discuss important things or to set up a meeting. I think for many people today not having the option to text is an issue of control.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2013 12:43:55 AM
cajun
and if you do not like chatting texting and im ing and emailing um why are you on a dating web site to meet people. Not being rude by any means but that kind of is a conflict.

Did you not read OP’s original post? He asked to meet her but then proceeded to text messaging. She was very clear why she is on a dating site. She is here to date! I don’t get it either why people look for text buddies on a dating site. I think this type of conflict is a blessing because it shows they do not want the same thing.
 14everBlessed2
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/20/2013 8:16:40 AM
I agree with HappySingleSpirit,
I prefer email and then a meet but if I do give out my phone # , I expect a phone call, not a text. I also let the person know I don't text. I have a landline and a answering machine. My cell phone for emergencies , long distance (and meet confirmations) is a dinosaur trac phone that doesn't even have that text feature , nor a camera/recording device. I used to work in a secure area, so wasn't permitted. Never have felt the need to upgrade to a form of communication I find distracting and a little discourteous at times.
 Maleman999
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/10/2014 7:36:41 AM

Msg 79: However sometimes texting is more convenient. Such as when I'm busy at work or with other things. Or when I'm in a loud area and won't be able to hear the other things.

Do you have a job where your boss doesn't care if you're chit chatting on the phone or sending non-work related texts? At any place I worked, conducting personal business on company time was frowned upon and could lead to disciplinary action if it persists. The excuse that it just takes seconds or a minute to type up and send a text doesn't draw any sympathy from bosses. Reading texts, typing up and sending texts-playing text tag multiple times does add up to a fair chunk of time.

Msg 83: "Sometimes texting is safer. Some people have called me and woken me up 3 hours before I was supposed to be up and boy has it left me angry. I'd rather text you for a bit then ask you when the best time to call you would be."

How is that related to whether they call or text, and safety issues? What's dangerous about your phone? If you don't want to be contacted within a certain time frame, tell people that-if they don't already know.
 Maleman999
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/10/2014 8:33:06 AM
Actually AfroRocker, there is even a simpler solution to getting untimely calls. Turn off your phone when you're sleeping. Problem solved. Besides, doesn't your phone ring anyways when you get a text? So getting a text or phone call will wake you up. Leaving your phone on at all times is like sitting in a bath tub full of water and wondering why you're getting wet.
 cooldog65
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2014 8:41:09 AM

Some people have called me and woken me up 3 hours before I was supposed to be up and boy has it left me angry.

I shut off my phone when I go to sleep. Otherwise, every alert from my e-mail and apps would constantly disrupt me. I could silence my phone, but shutting it off is my preference.

I simply don't have the patience for texting. By the third exchange I'm ready for a call. It's just too slow for me.
 south_city
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/10/2014 10:07:53 AM

Do you have a job where your boss doesn't care if you're chit chatting on the phone or sending non-work related texts? At any place I worked, conducting personal business on company time was frowned upon and could lead to disciplinary action if it persists. The excuse that it just takes seconds or a minute to type up and send a text doesn't draw any sympathy from bosses. Reading texts, typing up and sending texts-playing text tag multiple times does add up to a fair chunk of time.

Texting in moderation is not a problem at my job. I don't have long text conversations at work. It's usually a "How are you?" or a quick question about something.

In general, I'm not a huge phone person. I don't mind having a 15 minute phone conversation with someone. But I don't like having long phone conversations. Unless we are talking about something that is important.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2014 10:00:09 PM

Some people have called me and woken me up 3 hours before I was supposed to be up and boy has it left me angry.

I shut off my phone when I go to sleep. Otherwise, every alert from my e-mail and apps would constantly disrupt me. I could silence my phone, but shutting it off is my preference.

iOS 7 (perhaps earlier versions as well) has a solution for this: Do Not Disturb mode which is an option in the setting page. once activated only those callers denominated as 'favorites' can get through [although, if they make two back to back calls w/in 3 minutes that can override the Do Not Disturb setting - but only if permitted but another switch in settings].
I like it: I have is set to automatically go into Do Not Disturb mode from 11PM to 6AM each night - just before lights out until I head to the pool. Convenient!

--- There is probably something similar in android, though I wouldn't know.

TK
 Maleman999
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/11/2014 9:26:02 AM

I like it: I have is set to automatically go into Do Not Disturb mode from 11PM to 6AM each night...

The technological feature I use is to let people know that I sleep at night, so unless it's an actual emergency where someone is on their death bed in the hospital, I'm not to be disturbed with phone calls in the middle of the night. It sounds like you need to ditch those friends who have trouble comprehending this concept.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > When you give your phone number do you expect calls or texts?