Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 52
The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
One girl was sitting on the toilet, real classy. Another had turds floating in the toilet, & there's just something creepy about taking a pic of yourself in the bathroom. I've also seen pics, & the ppl have so much junk around them, they look like they either are hoarders or they live like pigs. But poop in the toilet is the worst I've ever seen in a pic.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 53
view profile
History
The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?
Posted: 2/13/2012 7:55:17 PM

His "morning after" photo looks natural and relaxed.

"morning after?" which one is that?
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:50:12 AM

But........ why?

Everyone has their preferences. And things that they look for or avoid.

What is so bad about a bathroom miror self pic?

For many, it comes across as "lazy". You can't be bothered to take a "nice" picture, so you just take a quick shot in the mirror and post it.
Others might see it as a sign that you don't have friends. After all, is it so hard to ask a buddy to snap a couple of pictures?

What turns people off so much about these pics?

Doesn't bother me for the most part.
The ones that I don't care for, are the mirror pics that are attempting to be "seductive". Because posting such things just sort of feels like the person's being a little slutty (men or women). And the shirtless pics of course turn off women like kryptonite.
If you want to send that half-dressed, pouty picture to someone... fine. That's your choice. But when it's on your profile, it just lessens it somehow.

I've had plenty of ladies send me sexy pics once we got a connection between us. But they wouldn't post such on their profile for just anyone to see.
And they don't post basic mirror pics either, because of the reasons above. Basically, they want to show people that they have friends who can take their pictures, and that they can take the effort to have a good picture taken. Because they don't want someone to think they wouldn't put effort into things (like a relationship).
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:15:49 PM

Over time, the more you go out and get a life, the more action shots you'll have of yourself.

I'll be sure that taking pictures of ourselves is one of our main priorities next time we go skiing or snowboarding, or something else exciting (like karaoking)

I always forget to not enjoy the moment when Im in the moment.

I need to bug my friends to send them already!

I still have roles of film here from a few canoe trips. (And ya; they were 'that' long ago) I also have pics from later trips; but I take pics of others....not me.
 trh1268
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2012 7:05:01 AM
Why can't you ladies post photos of what you like to do outside like you write in your profiles so we as men know that you are not lying. By you posing in the bathroom in front of the mirror, that tells me the following:
(1) you are a homebody.
(2) you pretend to be good looking, when you can't be just yourself.
(3) showing half of your chest is attracting intimate encounters.
(4) you think your bathroom is clean and orgainized, where realisticly it's messy, dirty, and you have too much stuff.
(5) before the photo shoot, you probably cleaned up the soap scum, toothpaste scum, shaving cream and hair in the sink and on the mirrors. Then it gets dirty again after the photo shoot is done.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/18/2012 12:03:49 PM

(5) before the photo shoot, you probably cleaned up the soap scum, toothpaste scum, shaving cream and hair in the sink and on the mirrors. Then it gets dirty again after the photo shoot is done.

please tell me you change your chonis cuz with that logic they'd just be gettin dirty again... right?
 cooldog65
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2012 9:26:59 PM
^^^^^
There is one lady in my area who has all her pictures taken in a full length mirror. It does look better than the bathroom picture.
 trh1268
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2012 1:49:51 AM
YEAH - when you can see the flashing light blocking her to avoid her looks and figure.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
 IBC84
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2012 11:13:03 AM
It's all about how the photo is taken. If the guy is nearly naked, then it's a red flag he's out for only one thing. Too many shirtless photos in front of a mirror - you come across as self-absorbed. I think from my point of view - if there is one photo like that, it's fine - but there should be other candid shots on your profile showing what you are like....other than some guy that likes to stare in the mirror :)
 cooldog65
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2012 6:54:10 PM
" So any mirror but the bathroom mirror is acceptable in the dating world? Please fill me in so I will know for the future lol"

The full length mirror allowed for full body shot. No sink, counter, toiletries, etc...Even the lighting was different. That just depends on the lighting in the room.
 Paderic
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/7/2012 10:02:52 AM

An even bigger turn off is the picture that obviously has someone cut out of it...I always assume ex girlfriend and think putting pictures of you up while you were with an ex is weird!

As opposed to pasting smiley faces over the other people in the picture?

I think a lot of people should learn to use the self timer on their camera...
 grove_22
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/7/2012 7:50:46 PM
An even bigger turn off is the picture that obviously has someone cut out of it...I always assume ex girlfriend and think putting pictures of you up while you were with an ex is weird!

When I had photos up on a different dating site, most of the cropped out people were other men. When the cropped people were woman, they were usually platonic friends, relatives, or a friend's girlfriend / wife etc. The cropped out person was never an ex.

As opposed to pasting smiley faces over the other people in the picture?

Great point.
 trh1268
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2012 9:10:15 PM
I think women look better with a reaction shot sitting on top of toilet seat peeing or pooping, that would be better than posing in front of the mirror. it's breath taking
 cooldog65
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2012 9:34:21 PM
^^^^^
I would be holding my breath if there is an odorous emanation...
 cooldog65
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 11:50:37 PM
" Again wouldn't you know {for women} if your boob was hanging out or your top accidentally fell off?!?!"

I would be open to visual examination of such material. I need samples for research purposes. Working on my Phd.
 Paderic
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/18/2012 7:43:45 PM

Because it makes ME think you are boring. I want to see real life pictures. Unless they are funny and MEANT to be funny they just make people look awfully lonely, bored and boring.

Well, no picture at all doesn't exactly make them look enticing.
 vestaceres
Msg: 68
Posted: 9/19/2012 8:17:28 AM
It would take you all of ten seconds to shove everything back into the bathroom cupboards, wipe your mirrors clean and brush your toilet bowls about five minutes if you're considerably hygienic, before you snap the bathroom photos. If you can't do THAT much, really, what's the point of dating you, when you can't be bothered to exert the effort in doing this?

And, I'll say what I damn well please, thank you very much.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/19/2012 8:39:12 AM
I think I too will put up a bathroom pic...LOL

Better than no pics.

I dont get the fuss about this topic, unless the person is not dressed/covered up. I see folks doing mirror shots at the gym and in malls, it seems the same thing to me.

I HAVE wondered why people had thier phones in the can though in order to do this. I cant say I bring my phone to my bathroom, ever! But I may do this just for kicks.
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/19/2012 1:13:02 PM
To many women this is just plain creepy. Although certainly women are visual and do like to look, I think the main issue with the bathroom shot is that men really dont get that women dont need to see your skin this early into the game.

Men are much more OK with checking out women's bodies in swimsuits, etc but it can be more tricky with women. Some of us feel that revealing your naked chest and torso is too much too soon. Some men dont get this. They dont get that some of the things that trigger interest for them may be off putting for a woman.

A man loves looking at boobs, so he sends a photo of his penis to a woman assuming she is going to react with the same sort of excitement. More often than not, he is categorized as a creep and never learns/connects with women in any real way. He just keeps screwing up and making the same mistakes over and over.

Also taking a topless photo of yourself in a unromantic place like a bathroom just looks narcissistic and immature.

At this stage I am less interested in muscles and more into who you are, your integrity and sense of decency and maturity.

Displaying yourself like this for all the world to see is just a turn off for me.

As Ive said regarding online datin: Why do I have to see your penis before I even meet you? How did we get to the point where it's now OK to mail a woman you have never met a photo of your genitals or half naked body.

What I'd like to know is..does this work for any women out there? Have you actually gone out on a date after seeing a guy's naked chest or genitals and later it blossomed into a great relationship?
 bucsgirl
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/19/2012 7:54:53 PM
As a disclaimer I don't usually post to a thread already at page 7.

I did write the pinned thread on profile review forum 7 years ago and personally done thousands of profile reviews. I usually don't comment on pics, as a writer my reviews are more about content. Taking a picutre of yourself is like cutting or styling your own hair. The professionals don't do it, for a reason, it's because it doesn't represent their best. Online, your profile IS your only representation of you. Of ALL the places someone who decides to do an OBVIOUS camera phone pic, why the bathroom? The mirror is there because the bozos who DO that need the mirror so they have some idea what the pic will look like.

It doesn't seem to occur to those that do, what those viewing it may think. What I think is why is this person having to take their own pic? Forget having a friend, I've had a camera and asked a stranger if they have a sec and can take a pic, and noone ever said no. Taking your own pic says I don't have anyone else who will do me a favor and take 2 seconds to snap a cell phone pic so I have to do it myself. And because I'm taking my own pic, I need a mirror...waalaa. And yeah I said it, the self pic strongly implies there's noone else that will do you the favor to take one. Or you don't have the kahunas to ask a complete stranger. Either way, doesn't send out a good vibe. The self taken pics, for me, it sends my click past finger into spasm.
 abmccray
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2012 7:02:00 AM
There's also a (proven) subconscious association that people have with surroundings of pics. If someone takes a pic in a forest - it applies a "feel" to them, on the beach, a different one, at work, a different one, in a bar, etc. The subconscious "feel" one gets with a bathroom is not normally a "good" one.

It also shows that the person has low self esteem MOST of the time, as they aren't comfortable enough to post casual pics taken with friends (assuming they have any), and instead, have to pose absolutely perfectly, as well as "blur" their features a bit (as that's what naturally happens with a mirror photograph). It's no different than the "dramatic angle hide fat photos" or "black and white lying down/upside down" photos that a lot of women do, or the "high contrast closeup so my face is just a blob of white" photos both sexes do. You're basically saying, "I'm trying reaallllllyyyy hard to be absolutely perfect" in this picture as opposed to just using naturally posed photos that do a good job of representing you as you are, which is bad.
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/20/2012 7:10:40 AM
abmmcry, I totally agree! You can see all the tricks people do to look younger, slimmer, etc.

It's just like how the advertising agencies do it..airbrush and alter the product until it sparkles. Eventually you end up with t half truth, and every obvious evidence that you're trying way to hard.
 abmccray
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2012 9:39:37 AM

If anything, those awful bathroom photos have been the most reliable when when it comes to someone looking like her photos. Glamour shots certainly aren't a good likeness. I'd trust a bathroom photo before I'd trust anything else.

Bathroom photos are normally good for being face-on forward, which is probably why you say they look better than "glamour shots" (which are actually normally people just contorting greatly and post-editing to up the contrast) but bad for the other reasons mentioned (ie. the psychological relation to poop and pee you're creating just by photographing in one, the knowledge that you're, by default, trying to get the 'perfect picture'). And it blurs/softens your image a bit which helps to remove flaws (which is another reason people like using them). For me, I'd say "digital photos taken by friends in natural lighting" are the best as long as they aren't also contorted all over the place to hide features/flaws.

If people really want to see what someone looks like before meeting them, the best route are tagged photos on social networking sites. There have been times I've refused to go out with people after seeing those due to the difference in how they looked as compared to what they put up on dating sites.
 abmccray
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 8:09:25 AM
^^^ Photography is an art form that has been around for more than a century, and marketing theory has proven that tons of little "insignificant" details in photographs have varying psychological effects on the majority of the populace.

Just because you don't personally realize how little things like lighting/location/angle can have a HUGE effect on the presentation of the individual doesn't mean you can ignore a century's worth of research and proof that things like this do have an effect on people as a whole.

Half of the reason that one relatively decent looking guy gets contacted 10 or more times than another is that the latter has a bad choice in pictures, whereas the first has great choices. Bathroom pictures suck when talking about wholes for some of the reasons mentioned, and more (ie. the first impression that "dull lighting" has on a person).

Of course, that's the least of people's picture-taking problems; given that a large percentage of men haven't even figured out to smile in their pictures, even though most dating sites plaster that it is a good idea to do so on there right when you're posting them. All these "little" things add up to give people a gut impression of who you are, which adjusts how many people actually contact you.
 1964armymom
Msg: 76
Posted: 9/21/2012 8:17:29 AM
I have a pic up that was taken in my full length mirror, just to have a full body shot.
I have a lot of pictures out doing things but they're with family and friends. As mucoh as many posters hate the BMP, I dislike group pics up. If someone think that means i have no freinds. Whatever. I have had most men that have met say the pictures dont do me justice, but i cant see doing 'glamor shots' i just dont worry about it that much.
Many men i have met didnt look like their pics. The self done BMPs are moreaccurate.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?