Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abmccray
Msg: 80
view profile
History
The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?Page 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

That's AWESOME...........if the girl I am dating is going to get glamour shot prepared, and make sure we're always in a flattering light; and at the perfect angle (every time we date)

My mom has a word for that.....it's called "fake"

I like how, in some people's worlds in this thread, it's either a "bathroom shot" or a "glamour shot" (I'm guessing they're referring to those Walmart studio photos you see a lot of middle aged women post on here?) Nothing in between. No outdoor photos with natural, directional lighting, no indoor photos with a flat flash, no action shots of activity. Just a choice of one of two things.

What's it like living in a world with one of two options? Sounds boring.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 81
The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?
Posted: 9/25/2012 4:01:49 PM
Dude; I was answering a post about glamour shots. Therefore, when we are discussing glamour shots, it is just the glamour shots we're discussing.

;)

I tend to not go all A.D.D. in conversation.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 82
Posted: 9/25/2012 4:21:19 PM
"Dude; I was answering a post about glamour shots. Therefore, when we are discussing glamour shots, it is just the glamour shots we're discussing."

I had a glamor shots sitting done. Mine were different from any I'd seen, they actually LOOKED like me....haha. And at the time they were done for reasons OTHER than to use on a dating site.

You know you're still by buddy, and I've seen other pics you've done and I think you're great and have a lot to offer. I don't see anything wrong with having a pic that accurately resembles what you look like, but also say that it should be flattering. There was a time I used the glamor shots, along with others on a profile, and never, ever had someone who met me indicate I looked different face to face. The comment I usually got was that I looked umm...how can I say this, taller and more slender. To be fair, it was almost always the short, chubby guys....ahh..well good for a chuckle.
 abmccray
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2012 7:53:23 AM
Dude; I was answering a post about glamour shots. Therefore, when we are discussing glamour shots, it is just the glamour shots we're discussing.

;)

I tend to not go all A.D.D. in conversation.

You quoted my post where I wasn't talking about "glamour shots" at all - so you may want to reconsider that A.D.D. thing if you can't even remember what you posted and what you were responding to. ;)
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/26/2012 2:56:54 PM
It's not just bathroom pics that are considered 'bad' - it's any posed shot that looks artificial. Bathroom pics get the bad rep, but so do duckfaces, car seat shots and the 'Myspace' elevated above-the-head shot. Even the most beautiful modeling professional portfolio pics get 'annoying' when they don't change out ANY pictures after six months or more.

The people out there that actually insist IN their profile that you are 'out' for doing such-an-such with your photos are pretty much vain people that think too highly of themselves anyway. I've seen profiles listing all kinds of things that 'gross them out', and yet they are doing about half of them in their OWN pics. Your minimum 'requirements' should be to have a face photo, a full body shot, and something showing you being active and having fun - after that, you can show whatever your want - just keep changing/updating the album about every 2 months or so to avoid getting 'stale'.

You could make a 'shopping list' for bad pics a mile long and go into great detail the reasons why people don't like them, but if you're a handsome enough devil, they ain't gonna care what shower curtain is behind you or what dead animal you are holding. Just remember, you have no way to control WHO is attracted to you. Just stay away from the nudity and semi-nude stuff that can get you kicked off the site.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 85
Posted: 9/26/2012 5:59:46 PM
Also, it shows a lack of effort that you'd post a lousy bathroom pic when you could take ten minutes and have a friend shoot some decent shots.

Ya; cause my boys and I have taking each others pics as our main priority when playing, just one notch above painting each others toes.

and something showing you being active and having fun

Usually not standing still for pics when being active and having fun.

We actually DO be active when outdoors; unlike the "take a picture that LOOKS like you're being active" crowd.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/26/2012 6:29:33 PM
SweetLilGTP- Bathroom mirror pics say one of two things (or both, lol).
1. I can't figure out any other way to take a photo of myself.
2. I don't have even ONE friend that I can ask to take a photo of me.
Not the way to get people interested!
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 87
Posted: 9/26/2012 7:22:26 PM
1. I can't figure out any other way to take a photo of myself.
2. I don't have even ONE friend that I can ask to take a photo of me.

Well; I'll tell ya Bama: anyone who assumes those two things first are way too familiar with a) really stupid people, like "really" stupid or b) Superloners.

I guess I'm just not familiar with either of those realities
 abmccray
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2012 5:04:22 AM
We actually DO be active when outdoors; unlike the "take a picture that LOOKS like you're being active" crowd.

I've got "active" pictures of me actually playing football, baseball, mountain climbing, etc. that I could use if I wanted to show that, so it just sounds like you aren't really that "active" since SOMEONE is normally around taking pictures at those kinds of activities. You're seriously talking about people "taking a picture that looks like they're active" when you have a serious "dating" profile with a picture with a self timed camera sitting on the table as you pose awkwardly against a wall?

When you take a picture with a reflection showing the camera (and lack of other person taking the picture), you see stuff like that.

Also, it's not a good idea to take mirror photos with a strong light source behind your head, as it makes your face a shadow. I'm not sure why you think showing off yourself as a silhouette will help you get dates.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 89
Posted: 9/27/2012 11:06:32 AM

with a self timed camera sitting on the table as you pose awkwardly against a wall?

Ya; that one was taken after a night of partying.

I thought I should take some pics.

I see your point though; I'll make sure to try and remember to snap some pics during m next excursion.

Does it count if I have pics of canoe trips, and ski excursions, that do not focus on me; but focus on the surroundings?

I'm not sure why you think showing off yourself as a silhouette will help you get dates.

Perhaps you could take the extra leap of effort and look two pics down (in either direction) for the most ridiculously clear pic ever?

P.s. That shadowy pic shows my body. (or should we do "date marked" nudes; so as to be 100% scientifically correct for our prospective dates?)
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 90
Posted: 9/27/2012 11:11:47 AM
I like your playing basketball pic btw.

A poorly attended, local dive bar, halloween party, angry face shot is always the shizzle.

;)

The Government housing shot's a good one though; it shows the actual build. (people like seeing the real build of someone)

And ya; your ad is awesome, especially the part where you discuss grammar while utilizing terrible grammar in the same sentence.

That's a great pun guy. (slick)

I like how you decided to roll with it; through, essentially, every sentence thereafter.

Typically, if someone wishes to be active with me; they should accept the offer to go do something active. That's just sort of how I see it. I guess I'm more the "do it" type, then the "talk it" type. I could always show active pics; but never offer to do them, you know, with her.

I prefer to just jump into it right away.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/27/2012 12:17:22 PM
I'm on my way to watch my nephew play highschool football.

I'll try to make sure to get a pic of me driving there, and in the bleachers, and one showing the field; so as to show that I do things.

Typically; I just "do" things, but I'll try n get some better proof (pics) then just, you know, doing them.

It's just soo bad cos Men think that's what women want and we don't!!! It proves you can't photograph yourself in a normal pose, cos you're surely not always in the bathroom. Really need t stop - I would definitely not contact anyone who had that in their profile!!!

R u refer ing 2 bath rum shotz?

*shrugs*

None of mine are bathroom pics; but still...

Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/27/2012 2:56:10 PM
Like I said, one could make a long list of photo types that are bad for profiles, and at the risk of hijacking this thread in a different direction I'd like to point out one that I've seen a LOT of women do.

It's a very good idea to have one good close headshot of your face -- but JUST one. I see sooooooo many ladies using up 5-6 or even 7 of their 8 allotted photos with face pics.

I don't know if guys need to point this out, but ALL the little subtle differences between each head shot --
1) Your hairstyle being slightly different - your bangs being 'just so'
2) You are wearing a black top instead of a blue one, when all that's in the pic is your collar
3) You have different earrings on
4) Your backgrounds are slightly different
5) You have colored contact lenses so your eyes are a different color
-- guys NEVER notice that stuff. Or really care. Those kinds of subtle things is what WOMEN notice and take note of all the time. If you want to impress your girlfriends with your different 'looks', show them the whole album of face pics.

If you want to impress a GUY with all your different 'looks' online, then what you want to do is show ONE face pic, and CHANGE it out for ANOTHER face pic every few days. THAT is how guys will notice your different looks.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 93
Posted: 9/27/2012 7:14:57 PM

Like I said, one could make a long list of photo types that are bad for profiles, and at the risk of hijacking this thread in a different direction

Go ahead guy; the productivity of the thread was gone months ago.

S'all yours.
 Maleman999
Msg: 94
Posted: 9/27/2012 7:30:06 PM

Even if you do look stunning in the picture. My friend did it and he was like "WTF??? look at my ab's!!!" but i said "dude, there's toilets in the background.."

Is the seat up or down? That makes a difference, especially if it isn't flushed yet.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/2/2012 10:24:24 PM
SweetLilGTP- Well, excuse me for giving an answer that you asked for but didn't want to hear.
Make up your own answer, maybe then it will be right.
 abmccray
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 1:37:00 PM
You also think Myspace angles and pushing your boobs up and together purposely are awesome (and then get confused to why your profile indicates sex).

At least your bathroom pics are different since they're a public bathroom, apparently, which is, uh, interesting...
 ItsZodiac
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 2:42:55 PM
There are Timer apps now for smart phones. Use them!

Bathroom pics (+ the cliché angled shots, shirts-off-to-show-abs, and duck lips/kissy face) are played out!! One thing people look for are creativity and you in your best light. If you have 8 photos, all in the same bathroom with different outfits, I'm not impressed. At ALL! Switch it up!

- Go outside (natural lighting is much better).
- Have someone else take the photo from your waist up.
- Use the Timer App and also free Photo apps to clean up your pics
- Smile! Puckering up your lips make you look like an idiot. You're not kissing me so why do it? And who takes a pic of themselves in mid-kiss anyway?
- Try different back drops. Want sexy? Dress in lingerie and get on your bed and take a sexy pic. Spittle on the mirror and lens flare-reflections are not sexy.

Get some originality and maybe you'll stand out from the other 2 million with the same old, dry, plastic poses.
 djmem
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2012 8:16:13 PM
I agree with this post. Pictures of fish, kids, boats, cars etc... the shirtless pictures are the worst. A bathroom shot is fine if it is current and spontaneous.
Posted: 10/12/2012 5:56:03 PM
At first these didn't bother me. Then I started seeing every girl do the self-taken pic with a smartphone in front of a mirror/bathroom mirror. I'd say roughly 70% of women's profiles that I've seen in my age group in my area (20-30) have at least one. I also noticed many of these women had almost the same profile style, verbatim: screaming, "No drama, no games, no bs, no X, Y, and Z, keep it real, I can't believe I have to do this, this site should be renamed plenty of fat, old, ugly, bald, creeps, etc." Some of them wouldn't even bother to write anything, and just fill up the space with gibberish and symbols. I don't know what guys do, because I don't look through men's profiles, but I'm guessing it's something similar. You get the picture (pun intended).

It made me realize something. The self taken bathroom mirror pic says one thing, and one thing only:
"I AM DOING THE BARE MINIMUM EFFORT TO GET WHATEVER MATERIAL GAIN IT IS (sex, money, attention, etc.) THAT I WANT FROM THE OPPOSITE SEX. THAT IS ALL."

It says that you don't care about anything but means to an end, and you're doing this because you have to, not because you want to.
 DomG79
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/12/2012 7:36:24 PM
The lighting is good, and there are mirrors. The pics with poop are funny, but inappropriate.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 101
Posted: 10/21/2012 6:33:01 PM
aww shucks

:)

Thank you.

The listing also spells out "you are a temple", quite obviously, though that philosophy's taken a beating of late

usernonymous
Msg: 102
Posted: 11/5/2012 5:57:04 PM
The funny thing is that the photo I get the most compliments on, from this site is my profile pic.....which is a bathroom mirror pic.

It's all about presentation. I notice that many people on POF just don't care about how they present themselves, whether it is looking awful (or even scowling) in their picture, a rant filled profile about "no drama" and not talking positively about themselves or thinking showing kids or cats will attract many guys or gals(it doesn't, we want to know more about YOU, not your pets and not your kids...not yet).
 kali2008
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2012 7:18:31 PM
people are going to complain no matter what you do. simple as that.Not everyone wants people to know they are putting themselves out on dating sites so they take the best pic they can of themselves. At least they are current and not hiding behind their harley or pet. Just saying someone is always going to complain
 corblimeygovnor
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/23/2012 5:50:26 AM
yes hate the bathrrom pics almost as much as the smooshie face ones.

:)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > The bathroom mirror pic; why so bad?