Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Picelli
Msg: 214
Hidden meanings behind giftsPage 9 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
This thread has me thinking... not necessarily a good thing by the way.

Sometimes gifts are... impersonal. They are the other person telling their mate what they think their mate should want and desire - in an attempt to change that person to their way of thinking. "You should want this because it is better than what you have, so, I'm buying it for you. Now, you can throw away what you have since you won't need it anymore."

For example, let's say your 45 years old, you still use the original set of dishes you bought when you were 19. These dishes represent your first step out on your own, they represent your individuality and a part of your life. Sure, they're dinged up, but, their emotionally important. Then, your mate comes along and buys you new stuff because "it's better than what you have." Now you are in a spot where you have to "discuss" with your mate because he told you to just throw part of your past away - it hurts.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 215
Hidden meanings behind gifts
Posted: 12/31/2011 8:58:31 PM

Sure, they're dinged up, but, their emotionally important. Then, your mate comes along and buys you new stuff because "it's better than what you have." Now you are in a spot where you have to "discuss" with your mate because he told you to just throw part of your past away - it hurts.

And this is an example of someone CREATING a hidden meaning to a gift, which I think happens more than anything.

OyVay...
Msg: 216
Posted: 12/31/2011 9:15:27 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Capitano!

Like all things, we seem to want what we can't have. She wants more, he wants the status quo. In the end, she will have to start over with someone more inline with her thinking!

Hidden meaning? No just a desire to tread water!
 aremeself
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 10:05:35 PM
gotta be some more, better, hidden reasons to chuck another relationship, eh?
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 11:33:16 PM
So....you folks think a "Jenny Craig" gift certificate might not have been a good idea?...I was wondering why her number was changed to unlisted.
Msg: 219
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:37:57 AM
Meh! I should of given my ex a box of preparation H that christmas.After all according to everyone it's the thought that counts right??? He does have hemorrhoids after all and we should all be thankful for "ANYTHING" our mates give us no matter how lame,thoughtless and unwanted.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 220
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:47:53 AM
If I GIFT or GET the Joy Of Sex...........maybe.
The Joy of cooking.
Dummies guide to dating/wooing a woman.

How To Keep A Man .........Should I go on?
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 221
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:30:50 PM

Now you are in a spot where you have to "discuss" with your mate because he told you to just throw part of your past away - it hurts.

That would make for a great discussion

I'm not sure any man would stick to his guns in that instance. I know I wouldnt. The new plates take back shelf, or go back. <--No problem.
 Maleman999
Msg: 222
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:08:02 PM

Now you are in a spot where you have to "discuss" with your mate because he told you to just throw part of your past away - it hurts.

Too bad you didn't mention to her that if she felt a need to replace anything you have, she should buy you a brand new Mercedes sports coupe to replace you car. If you had better communication, you might cruising around town in a fancy sports car. lol.
 good_catch77
Msg: 223
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:03:42 PM
There is a commercial on the radio, yeah I've still got a normal radio, from Sears I think. Where the announcer is talking to a woman whom her husband bought a snow blower...she says in a real sarcastic voice. Yeah its "cute"...then they say the after Christmas sale...then the announcer says "wait let me speak to your husband I heard you got him a blender". Really funny commercial tbh. Made me think of this thread too.

The OP has given some more information in support of the woman now. I still think she's ungrateful and rude for the way she acted for the gift. It's not like she had to pay for it. It was a gift, even though it makes me wonder since he's done this before that he didn't do it on purpose, esp doing the extra "effort" so that he can brag to friends how much 'work" he put into this to get this. Working in retail I've heard these stories from customers a few times about stuff like this... I of course act impressed every time...but more often than not I've heard the story a 100 times and it sounds the same...no matter who's telling it...
 spicytomatoesauce
Msg: 224
Posted: 1/1/2012 6:32:05 PM
What a shallow person she is, he sounds like a man who listens and bought what she said she needed. And I can't find a man half that considerate, go figure
 Serindipity_14
Msg: 225
Posted: 1/7/2012 7:47:56 AM
I AGREE 100% W YOUR ANSWER ON THIS... MEN ARE VERY PRACTICAL.. THEY DONT OVER THINK THINGS LIKE WOMAN.. IF SHE WANTED LINGERIE SHE SHOULD HAVE SAID SO... ALL HE HEARD WAS HER ****ING ABOUT NEEDING NEW POTS AND PANS AND THOUGHT THAT WOULD MAKE HER HAPPY!....
Msg: 227
Posted: 1/21/2012 9:23:34 AM
^^^^ Lol! So that's why he bought that stuff.
 Paderic
Msg: 228
Posted: 1/21/2012 9:31:44 AM
Actually, Drestin, your friend and her ex both sound like self absorbed pieces of work. It's kind of a shame they broke up, they are now free to inflict misery on two other unsuspecting people.
 jeffm10456
Msg: 229
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 9:35:21 AM
I being a divorced man agree with AuroraDiem completely !!!!
There are Extremely Few men who understand what a woman means when she is hinting at something, much less when she doesnt even hint
 OOhMeeOhhMy
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 9:43:58 AM
she didn't like the "gifts" anyway and complained about them.... I say give them back.... she is just keeping them out of spite.... or maybe she will really return them.....
 ChillinChill
Msg: 233
Posted: 1/21/2012 10:18:30 AM
My ex husband once gave me a toilet seat for mothers day. Had the kids wrap it up and everything. If not for the children, I could've killed him with it.
 bhri
Msg: 234
Posted: 1/21/2012 10:33:12 AM
These gifts are hers to do with as she pleases. It does not matter if she liked them or not. If he meant to keep them, he should not have given them as gifts and bought them at a different time (and not given to her as a gift).
Msg: 235
Posted: 1/21/2012 10:46:29 AM

My ex husband once gave me a toilet seat for mothers day. Had the kids wrap it up and everything. If not for the children, I could've killed him with it.

It must of been one heck of a toilet seat.Heated and padded maybe?
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 236
Posted: 1/21/2012 11:38:32 AM

I wish I have a BF like your best friend's BF who gave nice practical things, unlike my late husband he gave me gifts from Frederick's that I can't show of to my friends, like teeny bitsy see through panties & bras.

^^^^^^^^^

Oh nilli you crack me up..send me pics..I bet you are something.

I gained about 12 pounds one year while in a LTR and got a treadmill...Like I didn't know my azz was fat from having to use pliers to get my zipper up?

No HIDDEN meaning in that at all.

I would have preferred and not taken "offense" at nice walking shoes or a monthly order of swanns chicken breasts..

Poor guys can't win can they?
 forums1
Msg: 237
Posted: 1/21/2012 12:26:22 PM

I gained about 12 pounds one year while in a LTR and got a treadmill...Like I didn't know my azz was fat from having to use pliers to get my zipper up?

No HIDDEN meaning in that at all.

Ouch! Ok... that one I couldn't see, unless, like the OP's woman, she was complaining about how *she* didn't like the fact she'd gained weight (which of course I'd be telling her she was beautiful no matter what ) and said she *wanted* to get a treadmill and start exercising more. And even then, I'd probably just get her a gift certificate towards buying one she liked (or something else from that store).

Seriously though, how many of us *don't* listen to friends/family/partners who mention things that they'd 'really like', and make a 'mental note' of it as something that might make a good gift later? I for one would rather get something 'useful' than some trinket that will either sit on a shelf collecting dust or get used once in the next 20 years.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 238
Posted: 1/25/2012 2:57:24 AM
ur friend..instead of communicating to you..needs to communicate with HIM!! She should keep her mouth shut about pots & pans, and a grill...and casually mention the other things..(perfume,jewelry, etc....)
We not freckin' mind readers!!!
 apurfectmeow
Msg: 239
Posted: 1/25/2012 3:05:42 AM
A gift is a gift even if a hand written note.
It is the thought that counts and Im one to cherish them all.
Love being the greatest of these~
 aremeself
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2012 11:34:31 PM
I like getting smiles, them's nice gifts!
 PureSentiment
Msg: 241
Posted: 2/4/2012 2:41:11 PM
Yeh... my ex bough me "his" favourite perfume for Christmas and was mad when I was offended and didn't like it. Apparently... everybody else but me liked it!!! LOL NEXT!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >