Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 23
Girlfriend's not sudden but slowly progressing depression.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
OP - i mistakenly and naively married a girl that suffered with chronic depression and generalized anxiety, insomnia, etc...

it is and can be a lifelong illness.

you cannot save her.

she will likely forever be the victim and so forth.

you probably, for your own good - outta get outta this situation/relationship...

it won't bode well for you in the long haul until she gets well ...

if ever.
 SeaCatcher
Msg: 24
Girlfriend's not sudden but slowly progressing depression.
Posted: 12/26/2011 11:24:36 PM
Now's the time to encourage your girlfriend to see a counselor and a careers coach. An English major in university can lead to any number of professions. She could go into the media, publishing, journalism, clerical work, teaching (at all levels), technical writing, etc. All of which utilize her existing skills and knowledge. First though, she needs to speak with a psychologist/counselor and sort out her lack of self esteem issues.
 cutiecaliente
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/27/2011 1:02:30 AM
rush her to the doctor's....
the doctor will recommend anti depressants...and a good therapist
there is a waiting list(3 months)?
then she will start going to a therapist
with therapy and positive attitude
when you get a mental illness...it is due to becoming g a teenager
the hormones are working overtime

she will be okay
it is sad when a young female is going through so much
i have faced obstacles and i am okay
she will do fine
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:28:19 AM
Mental illness are rampant in my maternal side, and if your girlfriend has been feeling this way since she was 12, she truly needs professional help. Her depression extends beyond the menial jobs and that she is an English major, but is most likely due to chemical or other imbalances.

You cannot help her. She is not going to be bucked up by pep talks or assurances that things are going to work out in the end. Her suicidal impulses are both cries for help and attention.

If she fails to seek help and you stay with her, get ready for a rocky life. Yes, she can climb out of the abyss without professional help, but the odds are that she will not. Clinical depression is not something that is easily shaken, and it can make life not only a living hell for her, but for everyone who loves her.

An aside note--as a former English major and now English teacher, choosing a profession isn't always about money: it is also about job satisfaction. I don't like to do math either, but it doesn't depress me. I would rather work in a career that I love than make twice as much money doing something that is not satisfying to me. However, I make enough money to live comfortably. Don't try to influence her to change her major--it might add to her feeling of not being able to do anything right.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/27/2011 9:27:43 AM
but we can't go crying depression every time something doesn't go our way.

WHAT!?

SOMEONE STEP UP THE ADVERTISING; PUSH MORE PILLS!!

Clearly someone still isnt on the pill train!

WEE HAVE A NON BELIEVER>

YOU, sir or madam, need therapy ASAP
And pills.....three of em......four times a day.

How dare you state that attitude and personal choices can change someones frame of mind, and state of happiness

WE ALL KNOW THAT ONLY A BOATLOAD OF PILLS AND A 125.00/HR THERAPIST CAN DO THAT!!
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/27/2011 9:28:43 AM
Mental illness are rampant in my maternal side

I agree; women are nuts.

lotustemple
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/27/2011 9:45:16 AM

It took a few years, but my life is finally my own and my depression is a thing of the past. I realize in some cases for some people it truly is a chemical imbalance, but I hear so many stories of "depression" because of this or that and ya know what, so many of them are complete baloney. Yea life is tough sometimes, but we can't go crying depression every time something doesn't go our way. Learn to deal with it, and life's challenges, and you will be better off in the long run. The power of positive thinking and a good attitude and a healthy lifestyle, along with having good people in your life makes a world of difference. It did for me.

How refreshing!!
 gingerchick30
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/27/2011 9:47:13 AM
I agree, you need to encourage your girlfriend to get professional help if she is telling you she is having thoughts of suicide. You can't help her all by yourself and you don't want to find out too late that she wasn't too much of a coward to go through with it.

Be there for her, but get her help!
 bottleguy
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/27/2011 11:43:42 AM
psychiatrists will do exactly what she fears: give her pills and keep her doped up. They are nothing more than legal drug dealers. Have her see a therapist. Mine was worthless, but I'm sure some of them are very helpful.
 getanet
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/27/2011 11:56:46 AM
She's afraid therapy will "change" her? Isn't that the point? Is she happy NOW?
Not sure I appreciate the immediate calls for medication many have proposed, but help of some sort is certainly in order. Doctors are not "God" and can't MAKE anyone take anything.

Rest of your life with her? Easy there. One step at a time. Start with getting her some help. Tell her you don't know how to fix this and she should see someone who can.
Maybe if she sees value in therapy she could change her major?
 kevination
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/27/2011 12:06:06 PM
sounds like shes got "i wanna be somebody" syndrome. it is not your responsibility to fulfill someones dreams. thats their responsibility. out of curiosity, how is her relationship with her father? if its bad or rocky, run far far away.

"Your mind became weak, and Hulkamania became boring."

-Ultimate Warrior to THEN bad guy "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan ;p
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >