Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > When a gal says, "how do i know you're not a serial killer or rapist?"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MikeWM
Msg: 26
view profile
History
When a gal says, how do i know you're not a serial killer or rapist?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Maybe its only said by women with a "dark" side

And theyre hoping you will say

"Dont be silly, I'm just a REALLY perverted serial sex offender, now hold this jar of peanut butter while I grab the table tennis bat"

GoldinSFla
Msg: 27
view profile
History
When a gal says, how do i know you're not a serial killer or rapist?
Posted: 12/29/2011 7:38:32 PM
I never use that term, but its not because I haven't thought about it. There's just no point in asking it. A killer isn't going to tell you he's a killer. Well at least not until he has you chained up in his basement.
But one guy that I recently corresponded with asked if for our first meeting we could grab some coolers and go hang out on his boat. If we'd been dating for a while that would have been a nice suggestion, but I'd never so much as layed eyes on this person! So, no I didn't ask if he might be a serial killer and I didn't ask, but I still couldn't believe he thought I would not only be alone with him, but would be alone with him out on the open ocean!
 Randy1401
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/29/2011 7:55:04 PM
I answer "of course not, that one time doesn't make it a serial anything!"
 Maleman999
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/30/2011 6:50:26 AM
ladywyatt:

Then if he says anything negative back...he is done...no meeting.

So it's a one way street. You can insult people and say anything you want, but you only want cheerful, happy responses. You're definitely not dating material.

I'm not looking for a truthfull answer...just the attitude. Bad attitude, your loss and I live longer.

So you accept lies with a good attitude? Do lies make you live longer? If you're so paranoid and jaded, why are you on a dating site?
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/30/2011 9:46:56 AM
I have an official membership card in the NON -serial killer & rapist's union

proves unequivocally that I am NOT one of those!
 OOhMeeOhhMy
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 9:52:38 AM
it is amusing the number of men who find a statement like that insulting and unstable... I am fine with that... the funny thing is... there have been times where I have even said when asked to go to someones home... how do you know I am not some crazy psycho stalker who you wouldn't want to have your address...... it is all about making light of a situation....

I would say out of maybe 10 men that I set up a meet with..... at least 2 of them try to make that meet at their home..... now I know they are probably NOT crazy killers... but where is the comfort level meeting someone in their home.... and really how poorly prepared are you in the dating world if your home for a meet is all you have to offer....

if you are getting that statement when you are asking to meet at a restaurant or starbucks..... that could be confusing.... but anyplace deserted or personal.... should be questioned......
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 10:05:00 AM
May I remind the sexist woman bashers on here and sum up a few things:

1. This this thread was started by a man who claims to be in law enforcement. Right!
2. Most women don’t go around asking "how do i know you're not a serial killer or rapist?"
3. If they do, it’s a rhetorical question and is meant to make a statement, not a question.
4. If they do, apparently someone gave them a reason to make this comment or back down.
5. Often it is also intended to be humorous and trying to make light of a situation.
6. And for your information, we are not vulnerable women, okay?

ladywyatt, and others who took the time to speak up. I’m totally with you.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/30/2011 10:13:29 AM

Respond by saying: "How do I know you're not a psycho c*nt?/Lorena Bobbitt?"

IF I ever said that to a man (and if I do it's in response to having my balls busted about where or how I want to meet) and he says this to me - it actually proves my point as another reason why we should meet in a public place and take our own cars. I'd agree with him, he should be cautious as well. It's not insulting - he should wonder if I am dangerous as well.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 10:46:43 AM
I've only heard this question once, and my answer was, "well, just call me when you are suicidal and horny".
 MyScreennameRox
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/30/2011 5:30:16 PM
Perhaps a little clarification is in order. My thread was meant in jest.  A number of people in here caught that. Others didn't.  Oh well. :D In any event I enjoyed the discourse that followed, even the opinions that differed from my own. Some people, however, displayed emotional, knee-jerk reactions in the form of ad hominem attacks on posters whose opinions differed from their own, but...that says more about them than it does anyone or anything else.

While I was dating (on another site, not here) I went on about 50+ dates over the course of a year until I met my current S/O. Of all the girls I've corresponded with, only a few made that remark. In each of the two or three instances, it was in response to an invite for coffee or lunch. I don't invite gals to my place right away (any guy that does is obviously looking only to get laid) or to any place that isn't public until trust has been established and we are serious.

I do think it's a ridiculous thing to say, so I poke fun at it-much as on my profile I poke fun at other silly things I see on girls' profiles, like "don't message me if you're a creep or a psycho" or "I love to have fun," etc. Making fun of such a thing does not mean I'm mocking any woman's feelings, etc.

I have no problem with anyone's opinions expressed on this issue (or any issue discussed on POF), no matter how much they differ from mine. If anyone dislikes anything I've posted about-whether meant in jest or not-guess what? All I will say is oh well. Not sorry.

I think everything that can be said in here, has been said. With that, I'm finished here. Have a nice weekend. :D
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 7:37:29 PM
My thread was meant in jest. A number of people in here caught that. Others didn't.
Everyone caught it, but not everyone caught that it was out of context.

Of all the girls I've corresponded with, only a few made that remark. In each of the two or three instances, it was in response to an invite for coffee or lunch.

I have a hard time believing a woman would make such a remark to an invite for coffee/lunch. Surely this is not the whole story.

I thought most of the responses, especially the ones who challenged the jest, were extremely intellectual and analytic. Very educational thread. We collected some excellent observations. Thank you, OP.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 11:24:04 PM
You just need to understand their concerns and put their mind at ease. Nothing does it better than proof from your peers.

After four defence attorneys, a mis trail and an undisclosed amount of cash....the jury said I wasn't.
 cooldog65
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:49:26 AM
Since I live in the same area as several serial killers and rapists...most notably Ted Bundy and Gary Ridgeway (Green River killer, approximately 50 victims (mostly prostitutes and runaways)), my answer would be "You don't". Then I'll give her an Austin Powers grin followed by the Dr. Evil laugh. The mortified look on her face would be priceless.
 MyScreennameRox
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:20:26 PM
Wow, this is still going.

Cooldog, since you're so knowledgeable, here's a trivia question for you:

Who was the black serial killer? ::):
 illstuntz
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:23:35 PM
I tell them that I used to be, but I have been clean for almost 6 months!

cooldog65
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 10:52:27 PM
@ MyScreennameRox: The only black serial killer I can come up with is Wayne Williams (Atlanta, GA around 1980).
 cooldog65
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2012 8:18:42 AM
^^^^^ I forgot about those two. First murder occurred in my hometown. Must be the gloomy weather here in Western Washington state. Thanks for triggering my memory.
 BrianL77
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:06:20 AM
Say that you are not their ex boyfriend
 flipflopsbikinitops
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:14:51 AM
I find this very funny. It is the firts line on my profile. I seen it once on a show about dating and how online dating has taken off. The fact reads like this.

The number one that thing worries women about meeting a man on line is: is he a serial killer.
The number one that thing a worries men about meetting a woman on line is: is she gonna be fat.

Now where they got these facts Im not sure. But I thought it was funny and I have found thats what most women ask me when I talk about metting men online. My reply to them is you can meet serial killer anywhere. Ive probably met one already but knowing men I was probably too fat for him anyway. You just have to take it in stride and not take everyting so seriously. MEN or WOMEN.

Hey its been a great Ice breaker for me and I have laughed with alot of men over this.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/2/2012 10:20:15 AM
Maybe they mean it in a joking kind of way, but it doesn't come across the way they intended it to. It's like a joke that is told terribly wrong & it falls flat, & the other person doesn't get it. There is always a risk of being physically harmed that women take when meeting from an on line site. Would a serial killer or rapist give them a heads up & say, yes, I am, still want to meet?
 Canubetrue
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2012 3:04:00 PM
It's not idiotic an any man can say this has no clue of how men can overpower any woman....I think any woman may express this to see how they may react to the question and if this guy can say this, this might be trouble and he has no feelings of a womans safety. This would be a red flag to me. I can't agree more.
 weirdotool
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:28:20 AM
I wouldn't blame them if the "first date" the guy is suggesting is at his residence. Short of that though, I agree that it is inappropriate.
 morefunwith2
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 10:00:37 AM
I still am amazed after all these years at the complete lack of common sense displayed by some woman on here. Just the other day I get a message and she wants to exchange email addresses. Her email is her full name @ service provider. A quick search and I now have her phone number and address. If I had been a rapist or serial killer she would have been another statistic.
 cooldog65
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 10:08:54 AM
I suppose if I get asked this question I could offer up a google search, background check, fingerprints, blood sample, retina scan, TSA exam with x-ray, full cavity search (be gentle and I will turn my head and cough), and imbedded microchip (in the near future)...
 KatWing123
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:20:51 PM
Not gonna lie...it's a little creepy that so many of you are aware of all of the details of past serial killers! Great job guys! LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > When a gal says, "how do i know you're not a serial killer or rapist?"