Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lexti
Msg: 321
Beards??? What is going on?Page 10 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

If you liked a guy but he didn't like your hair style or colour, would you change it for him?

I probably would. Who doesn't wanna be appealing to their partner?
 aanarchist
Msg: 322
Beards??? What is going on?
Posted: 11/23/2013 10:24:26 AM
So let's say I like a short goatee beard and stubble on the sides, almost like a pirate one might say. Good or bad?
 Lexti
Msg: 323
Posted: 11/23/2013 11:07:51 AM

So let's say I like a short goatee beard and stubble on the sides, almost like a pirate one might say. Good or bad?

Eh...not keen on the goatee beards. I think full even stubble type beards are sexy. The flavor savor? That little single isolated patch some men grow under their bottom lip? Yech...
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 325
Posted: 11/23/2013 2:46:19 PM

If you liked a guy but he didn't like your hair style or colour, would you change it for him?

I think you have to try making out with a guy with a beard to see where some of the ladies are coming from. Some women are going to find it raunchy and manly. Other women are going to find it gross and uncomfortable. Beards don't just effect your appearance, they also effect how a comfortable a woman is when she's being intimate with you. Hair style/color isn't really on par with a beard.

I'm firmly in the no-beard category, but I've been known to keep my mouth shut when a guy gets a bit of a shadow. It's not my preference, but I view the acceptance of a shadow as my way of compromising.

I'm open to straightening my hair if a guy asks or I note he has a "thing" for it. I had a boyfriend that had a noticeable "thing" for Lara Croft. He wasn't creepy about it, just had a few figurines and owned all of the games...so I dressed up as her out of the blue. I'll admit it was pretty cool to wear a thigh holster. *lol*

Now, would I be ok with straightening my hair as the NORM for a guy? Absolutely not. Then again, I'm fine with being alone rather than straightening my hair on a regular basis. I think guys with beards should do the same. Keep the beard if you love it and find a girl who loves it too. If you can't find a girl who loves it too, then choose...Accept your choice (aka don't complain) and keep looking, or shave it off and see if that helps. Never change unless you're ok with doing so.
 aanarchist
Msg: 326
Posted: 11/23/2013 3:21:05 PM
Wow what a great girlfriend to indulge his fantasies to such an extent. Hopefully my future lady dresses up as tifa from ff7 now and then for me haha.
 the_biggavell
Msg: 327
Posted: 11/27/2013 6:59:00 PM
Why is nobody telling op to shut her face?
Like f- what you like... a dude has to already sum up his entire existence for you, just for you to be interested. Guys do all the beard trimming, styles for one purpose, looking good to get the P for shallow biddys. Those same guys dont know women like men for other things.... any woman will take a dude with a beard if his skills ( the other things they like) are on a level she loves.

There is no way im looking at a girl with a facial hair she hasnt shaved... because men like woman as objects of desire... we gotta desire you, physically.. and ladies, you do what you must to make that happen. Thats your game.

So fellas, grow your beard if you want. Girls will love you and it anyways, if your game is on point.

In the looks department, women just arent like guys, no matter what they tell you. No guys is loving a woman with a beard. The reverse can be true though.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 328
Posted: 11/27/2013 9:20:48 PM
I work both ways....I find some men are attractive with facial hair, some without. It all depends. I am not that into the traditional beard as I prefer facial hair trimmed short. I do like the look where a guy has a mustache attached to a very trimmed beard going down by the laugh lines and meeting together in middle, but part of the chin area is exposed. And facial hair is not outward on the cheeks....Oh man, I am probably not explaining this correctly and not sure if there is a name for it...but I like it just as long as it is somewhat soft.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 329
Posted: 11/27/2013 9:30:16 PM
^^^
drivingharmony2...are you thinking of "goatee" in your mind?
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 330
Posted: 11/27/2013 9:41:33 PM
^^^^Isn't the goatee just the facial hair on the chin, but not the sides leading up to the mustache area? Maybe, it's a
BIG goatee.....you have BABY goatee and BIG goatee???
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 331
Posted: 11/28/2013 12:07:30 AM
No... A Goatee is hair on the chin only without a Mustache...
When you add a Mustache to a Goatee, it's a Van Dyke.......

Lots of people get this wrong........
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 332
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2013 5:40:46 AM
Blame the hottie on Duck Dynasty.
It's the whole picture.
Some look great with a beard and some don't.
Some have soft beards and some don't.
Some take care of the hygiene/grooming with beards and some don't.

Love the soul patch and goatee myself on the right face/man.
Then others have that close cut "almost beard" ( 5 o clock shadow) that has the "haven't shaved in a day or two look" Oh my my

In a study at Northumbria University women rated pictures of men with light stubble as the most sexually attractive,and the ideal romantic/sexual partner. Women scored full beards highest in masculinity, full beards were the least attractive "looking".

They are men, facial hair is normal and gives off a sexual scent women are attracted to also.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 333
Posted: 11/28/2013 12:27:28 PM
I hate shaving - it irritates the skin; so I do it the night before, and when I wake up - I have perpetual 5 oclock shadow - not trying to impersonate Don Johnson (though the ferrari would be nice)
the scruff aint for you. it's because I hate to shave.
 Steenius
Msg: 334
Posted: 1/29/2014 9:31:07 PM
I've had a beard since high school. Usually close to my face, past few years I've been growing it out for the winter bc its cold as F in nyc. Plus it hides my double chin. And I get way more compliments when it's big and caveman like it is right now. So eat one OP
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 335
Posted: 1/30/2014 1:47:08 AM

Beards are ugly. Period end of argument.

Ilovechristmas25....Opposites attract, ----> Steenius. lol
 Ownerofdogs
Msg: 336
Posted: 1/30/2014 3:59:56 AM
I don't know why they are popular, I don't care either. As a man, all I can speak for is my own personal experience having grown one and I found they are a total b*tch to maintain. They itch enough to drive me crazy, they stink, and anything that got near it would tangle in it. Wash it multiple times a day and it still didn't change a thing. As an added bonus, eating was a tricky issue with the mustache. Over all, I didn't like the feel, the smell, or the look. I'm certain there's a woman out there who wants to date a guy who looks like a member of the Oakridge boys but frankly I don't wanna be that man. Just the memory still makes my face itch.

This thread, it makes me wish there was a train wreck emoticon I could use.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 337
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2014 5:24:44 AM

As my 15 year old would say..."Judge Much?"
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 338
Posted: 1/30/2014 6:55:28 AM
Some people look good with facial hair (if well kept), and some don't. It's one of those enhancers that is tricky to measure. I prefer no facial hair, but only because I'm thinking of other places their face may be in the course of getting to know each other. As long as they are aware that such (if not used properly) can scratch surfaces in a rough way, and they can engineer their way around it, its A-okay.

I understand the mechanism behind stubble as I also shave (not my face though) so I'm not expecting that any man have 0 stubble ever, just be aware that you have it. Moisturizing goes a long way in between shaves, and so does smelling really good, lol.

On another note, I don't believe long beards look good on anyone, or that weird-looking line of hair (chin curtain or rap industry standard) tracing the jawline (especially on people who are more on the heavier side or have a round face):

The ones I find tasteful of the bunch:
Hollywoodian
Van Dyke
Old Dutch
Handlebar and Goatee
Short Boxed Beard
Goatee
Anchor
Copstash standard
handle bar
 TOaks91360
Msg: 339
Posted: 1/30/2014 7:12:24 AM
For some of those guys, looking in the mirror is the closest they'll ever get seeing a putty cat
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 340
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2014 10:30:49 AM
^^^^Or they may be a competitor in beard growing.
Yes...it really is a contested thing.
 OutMind
Msg: 341
Posted: 1/30/2014 1:46:44 PM

Interestingly enough I went out with some women that even put on their profile that they did not like facial hair.

Yet other ladies absolutely love it. So, to each their own.
 DameWrite
Msg: 342
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2014 2:49:37 PM
Didn't you hear? there's a revolution going on! Blame hockey, blame Movember, blame Fridays, blame the women who like beards and the men who accommodate them, blame Johnny, blame the hippy's!

Procter and Gamble and others are losing a lot money because of slumping razor sales so it can't be all bad!

I like beards.

edit: blame the ridiculous price of razors!
 atebungles
Msg: 343
Posted: 2/1/2014 10:36:48 PM
What's wrong with beards???
I was thinking not so long ago about growing the mutton chops!!!!
Might be an improvement??? hahha!!!
 that_ol_lady
Msg: 344
Posted: 2/2/2014 3:29:28 PM
Personally the whole duck dynasty an home less Charles manson look is terrible get rid of it an clean that wolf p ussy up....

On the other hand I think a nicely trimmed up mustache an go tee looks really good as long as its kept up..i also been noticing more of the go tee mustache combo combined with a very thin out line of the beard around the lower jaw of the chin..now that I think is sexy as f uck..
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 345
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2014 3:18:26 PM

As long as they are aware that such (if not used properly) can scratch surfaces in a rough way, and they can engineer their way around it, its A-okay.

Yup, got that covered. Different men have different beard characteristics, but from feedback over the years I think I've figured out not only the appropriate length, but also best grooming strategy to preclude an "ouch" when there should be an "oh.....ah......"

I first grew my beard at the request of my then girlfriend, many, many years ago. I've only shaved it off twice since. Both times I was told I looked younger without it, but since the face I was looking at WAS older than the last time I saw it, my reaction was the opposite. So in each case I immediately started growing it back and we had six more weeks of winter.

Some women like it, some not. Once a first date didn't happen because she insisted I shave off the beard first. Better to know that sort of thing right up front. I'm happy with it, which makes me happy with myself and more appealing to anyone I might be with.

Mine looks horrible if I let it grow very long, so I stick with an "8" mm beard trimmer setting and mow it at least once a week. I figure it's much like the glamour look some women prefer and others exchew. It lets prospects know what to expect and we can all go from there.
 Darrin_SM
Msg: 346
Posted: 3/4/2014 9:07:46 PM
I feel fortunate to live in an area where bearded men do well with women. Most of the married men I know have beards.

I honestly prefer having a beard to not having one. Though, I felt obliged to add a photo of myself with the beard shaved off, since women kept saying they'd like to see what I looked like without it.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >