Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abmccray
Msg: 349
view profile
History
Beards??? What is going on?Page 14 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

I feel fortunate to live in an area where bearded men do well with women.

That's any large metropolitan area or major city since beards are popular among creatives, intellectuals, and urban professionals, and kind of signify that when paired with stylish-enough clothing.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 350
Beards??? What is going on?
Posted: 3/5/2014 7:34:27 AM
"L'm sure Johnny Depp, Ryan Gosling and Hugh Jackman are wringing their hands over this thread."

Neither one of these guys are my thing either. Sorry, I just don't like facial hair past a few stubbles. Don't like super hairy dudes (as in lots of body hair) either.
 razors_edge55
Msg: 351
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2014 1:16:14 PM
I'm happy to shave my head and face clean , if that suits you ! it's what's on the Inside that counts IMO
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 352
Posted: 3/5/2014 3:02:35 PM
There are certain men who wouldn't look the same without a beard...Boz Scaggs, Russell Crowe (sigh), and Hugh Jackman...manly, confident men all. I love the look...but only certain men can pull it off. I just know it when I see it.
 April1963
Msg: 353
Posted: 3/5/2014 4:29:15 PM
I like to see a man with a well groomed and trimmed beard!!!mmmmhmmm !!!!!!

Facial hair is very important to the cultures of the Middle East (men), the beard symbolizes virility and respect.This is the reason why many men who do not have beard take the option to do facial hair transplant.

I think this preference is the same as having the hair long or short in women.
some men think that women looks more feminine with long hair
Some men are attracted to women with long hair ONLY
Some men are attracted to women with short hair
Some men don't care if the woman has short hair or long
 April1963
Msg: 354
Posted: 3/5/2014 6:16:07 PM
^^^
For myself I prefer to be clean shaven. It really does cut down on the complaints from the cunninglus recipients

oooooh ok!!!
 Maleman999
Msg: 355
Posted: 3/5/2014 7:25:20 PM

Some men are attracted to women with short hair
Some men don't care if the woman has short hair or long

As long as the hair she has doesn't include a beard or a moustache, I'm flexible to the length of her hair.
 Ilovechristmas25
Msg: 356
Posted: 3/7/2014 5:16:07 AM
Pepper

There are way more men out there without beards than a few celebrities. Your argument is weak. Not everyone is into a Duck Dynasty look or fur on the face in any way. If a women is expected to shave her legs, private parts and armpits or any other place where any kind of hair is, then a man, who doesn't have to shave anywhere, should at least shave his face. That is downright laziness.
 ouija2013
Msg: 357
Posted: 3/7/2014 6:53:57 AM
^^^ who expects ?
I think since women can wear make up facial hair on men is a way of "changing" their appearance.
I didn't think we were speaking Duck Dynasty/ZZ Top beards!
 OutMind
Msg: 358
Posted: 3/7/2014 7:24:46 AM

then a man, who doesn't have to shave anywhere, should at least shave his face. That is downright laziness.

I shave my tongue every day.

It's not laziness, but style. I like the way I look better with a short trimmed beard. Also, back when I shaved every day, I used to get too many ingrown hairs. I have gone out with women that said they did not like beards and it never became an issue. Or women that like hairy men and love it.

In the end, it's a matter of taste. If the woman does not like a beard, then find a clean shaved guy. I would not shave just to please a woman.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 359
Posted: 3/7/2014 7:34:21 AM
@OutMind...let me include you in my list of manly, confident guys with facial hair ;)
@Darrin...like the beard better...IMHP
 Maleman999
Msg: 360
Posted: 3/7/2014 8:12:14 AM

If the woman does not like a beard, then find a clean shaved guy. I would not shave just to please a woman.

But you should at least make sure you wear the proper colored shoe laces and socks to please a woman. Otherwise, you might end up passing over the One (One what-I won't get into).
 activemelaney
Msg: 361
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2014 1:47:57 PM
I like a clean shaven look. Not attracted to facial hair. My guy is French and, if he doesn't shave, being intimate is akin to being sandpapered. Ok the second or third day he doesn't shave but not the first. After a few days he is a Neanderthal.

Not many white or black males here have facial hair.. even way less Hispanics have facial hair than a decade ago. Facial hair is much more common among Middle Easterners and other Muslims. Now when I see dark facial hair, I often think they are Muslim.

Unlike a posting above, my guy would shave to please me. We like to smooch.

Each to their own taste
 OutMind
Msg: 362
Posted: 3/7/2014 2:02:28 PM

Unlike a posting above, my guy would shave to please me. We like to smooch.

Awesome, so then you know what to look for and enjoy.
 Ainen
Msg: 363
Posted: 3/7/2014 5:26:04 PM
I grew my biggest beard ever this winter. Like the wooly bear caterpillar and other creatures, my beard indicated a harsh winter. Also grew a mullet (cut my hair to nearly shaven last week). Looked like a werewolf or a Wookiee. My workplace is bone chilling cold, getting below 40 F at times this winter. Comfort is most important to me.

Now I look like a Red Sox player from the 2013 postseason (they went all season without shaving). Am probably trimming the beard this weekend.

A recent news item said hipsters spend thousands for fake beards (transplants).

The ideal girl for me prefers facial hair, but is OK with me keeping it short to stay cool in the summer.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 364
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2014 5:45:52 AM

Your argument is weak

^^^^^^Wasn't an argument.
My point is, that he is attractive to you or he isn't.
Hot or not. Facial hair groomed would not be a deal breaker on the right guy for anyone serious imo.

Any of those men and many more would look good with or sans facial hair.
Turn down a great guy over a soul patch? Not.
Not many like a beard that can wrap around their head that I know of.
Whose talking Duck Dynasty guys anyway?

Most men cannot pull off the Tom Selleck thick mustache to me.Looks to YMCA, but again the man inside is the key.
It still would not be a deal breaker unless my face got chapped.
Negotiations of sorts could be in order.

Women can bash facial hair and its OK., But let a man even suggest a woman change HER hair. OMG WAR!!
How dare they?Superficial b@stards. "They don't love me for me,I'm an object"..
To funny.
Then we bash their shoes and clothes, but let them suggest high heels if you don't like them or a dress on occasion.
Again we yell......superficial.

Make a list of your "won't tolerates" on the profile and make it easy for them.

Once a first date didn't happen because she insisted I shave off the beard first. Better to know that sort of thing right up front. I'm happy with it, which makes me happy with myself and more appealing to anyone I might be with.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She was an idiot.
Just chip off the ice before kissing.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 365
Posted: 3/9/2014 11:29:32 AM
As I noted before, I like men with facial hair and without. If he has facial hair, I like it short trimmed, nothing bushy.
If I am not bushy down there, I am looking for a man who is not bushy up there......or down below. :) You see, I am a huge fan of kissing and if the guy has too much facial bush, then it's probably not going to work. Plus, I have fairly sensitive skin and after a make-out session, my lips and chin area can be chafed and red. Not that I am complaining, but I chalk it up to facial hair....luckily, I just need a few hours to regroup. :) And don't suggest I get lip balm, I already own stock in the stuff.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 366
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2014 1:08:57 PM

If a women is expected to shave her legs, private parts and armpits or any other place where any kind of hair is, then a man, who doesn't have to shave anywhere, should at least shave his face. That is downright laziness.

No woman I'd be interested in is "expected" by me to shave anywhere. I'm not turned off by hair growing where hair wants to grow. If she chooses to shave that's fine by me too, but certainly not a deal breaker either way.

And yes, laziness might be somewhat accurate for me. Mostly I just don't want to put a lot of time into grooming that could be better spent elsewhere. I stay clean and sufficiently groomed that I won't embarrass anyone. Working in the outdoor industry the dress code is casual, but when I've had other roles that involved meeting with CEO's and elected officials I've cleaned up well enough not to detract from my ability to be effective.

It's interesting how many people feel obliged to groom to certain standards as if they can't express their personal tastes without negatively impacting their ability to do their job. Yet I've known powerful women in important jobs who didn't wear makeup or shave their legs, and comparable men who sported scraggly beards, didn't wear socks, or wore the same suit day after day.

We all have our tastes and there's nothing wrong with that. It makes most sense to me to dress and groom however makes us feel best about ourselves, and we'll attract those who are attracted to us at our most comfortable.

She was an idiot.
Just chip off the ice before kissing

Yes, she was. Or at least a bad fit for me.
And that ice sloughed off quickly as soon as I got inside. That pic was taken on a week long back country ski adventure with my last girlfriend. We ultimately weren't compatible, but my beard was never included in her list of complaints.
On the other hand a second date this winter that never got to a third DID comment about not liking to kiss a hairy face. I understand. I don't like to kiss lipstick. Hopefully we all find what we like eventually.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 367
Posted: 3/10/2014 2:48:11 AM
Actually, Beards are ok--what I don't get is so many men sporting sunglasses. Hello? We want to see your eyes!
 OutMind
Msg: 368
Posted: 3/10/2014 8:14:51 AM

If I am not bushy down there, I am looking for a man who is not bushy up there......or down below. :) You see, I am a huge fan of kissing and if the guy has too much facial bush, then it's probably not going to work.

Oh my god. What a great visual I got out of your post. Hmmm. Now I am hungry, for kissing that is.

What some women do not realize is this. That short trimmed beard tends to be softer than the five o-clock shadow, that is pure sand paper. I remember a kissing session back when I only had a mustache and she would be all red.

So how much is the stock going for?
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 369
Posted: 3/10/2014 6:28:51 PM

What some women do not realize is this. That short trimmed beard tends to be softer than the five o-clock shadow, that is pure sand paper

^^^I totally get it. But, it can depend on how hot/heavy the face to face interaction gets, which may determine how much lip balm is needed afterward. The best stuff out there is Sugar/Lip Therapy treatment (lip balm stick) from the Fresh line at Sephora or Nordstrom. It's very expensive, about $25 but works the best out of everything I have ever tried. Will have to check my stock docs.....LOL
 razors_edge55
Msg: 370
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2014 1:56:19 PM
this reminds me what my dad would tell me , " why are you cultivating something on your face that grows wild on your a$$, Oh he had a way,,,
sorry what's a stock doc ?
 Nimowaw77
Msg: 371
Posted: 3/14/2014 4:08:30 PM
I don't know OP, what's it to you if a guy wants to grow a long scraggly beard? If you don't find this attractive on men don't date men who have them. Simple as that.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 372
Posted: 3/15/2014 10:08:00 AM
I like to fully shave ever 3 to 4 days. This way I avoid a lot of neck acne..lol. If I shave everyday then for some reason I get more acne then usual.
 thundercatny
Msg: 373
Posted: 3/16/2014 7:41:42 AM
I sometimes get more attention with a beard, so i tend to grow it out sometimes. Thats pretty much the only reason why i do it. Maybe thats why some men do it? Some women like it and they grow it in.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >