Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Beards??? What is going on?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutMind
Msg: 376
Beards??? What is going on?Page 16 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

Unlike a posting above, my guy would shave to please me. We like to smooch.

Awesome, so then you know what to look for and enjoy.
 Ainen
Msg: 377
Beards??? What is going on?
Posted: 3/7/2014 5:26:04 PM
I grew my biggest beard ever this winter. Like the wooly bear caterpillar and other creatures, my beard indicated a harsh winter. Also grew a mullet (cut my hair to nearly shaven last week). Looked like a werewolf or a Wookiee. My workplace is bone chilling cold, getting below 40 F at times this winter. Comfort is most important to me.

Now I look like a Red Sox player from the 2013 postseason (they went all season without shaving). Am probably trimming the beard this weekend.

A recent news item said hipsters spend thousands for fake beards (transplants).

The ideal girl for me prefers facial hair, but is OK with me keeping it short to stay cool in the summer.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 378
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2014 5:45:52 AM

Your argument is weak

^^^^^^Wasn't an argument.
My point is, that he is attractive to you or he isn't.
Hot or not. Facial hair groomed would not be a deal breaker on the right guy for anyone serious imo.

Any of those men and many more would look good with or sans facial hair.
Turn down a great guy over a soul patch? Not.
Not many like a beard that can wrap around their head that I know of.
Whose talking Duck Dynasty guys anyway?

Most men cannot pull off the Tom Selleck thick mustache to me.Looks to YMCA, but again the man inside is the key.
It still would not be a deal breaker unless my face got chapped.
Negotiations of sorts could be in order.

Women can bash facial hair and its OK., But let a man even suggest a woman change HER hair. OMG WAR!!
How dare they?Superficial b@stards. "They don't love me for me,I'm an object"..
To funny.
Then we bash their shoes and clothes, but let them suggest high heels if you don't like them or a dress on occasion.
Again we yell......superficial.

Make a list of your "won't tolerates" on the profile and make it easy for them.

Once a first date didn't happen because she insisted I shave off the beard first. Better to know that sort of thing right up front. I'm happy with it, which makes me happy with myself and more appealing to anyone I might be with.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She was an idiot.
Just chip off the ice before kissing.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 379
Posted: 3/9/2014 11:29:32 AM
As I noted before, I like men with facial hair and without. If he has facial hair, I like it short trimmed, nothing bushy.
If I am not bushy down there, I am looking for a man who is not bushy up there......or down below. :) You see, I am a huge fan of kissing and if the guy has too much facial bush, then it's probably not going to work. Plus, I have fairly sensitive skin and after a make-out session, my lips and chin area can be chafed and red. Not that I am complaining, but I chalk it up to facial hair....luckily, I just need a few hours to regroup. :) And don't suggest I get lip balm, I already own stock in the stuff.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2014 1:08:57 PM

If a women is expected to shave her legs, private parts and armpits or any other place where any kind of hair is, then a man, who doesn't have to shave anywhere, should at least shave his face. That is downright laziness.

No woman I'd be interested in is "expected" by me to shave anywhere. I'm not turned off by hair growing where hair wants to grow. If she chooses to shave that's fine by me too, but certainly not a deal breaker either way.

And yes, laziness might be somewhat accurate for me. Mostly I just don't want to put a lot of time into grooming that could be better spent elsewhere. I stay clean and sufficiently groomed that I won't embarrass anyone. Working in the outdoor industry the dress code is casual, but when I've had other roles that involved meeting with CEO's and elected officials I've cleaned up well enough not to detract from my ability to be effective.

It's interesting how many people feel obliged to groom to certain standards as if they can't express their personal tastes without negatively impacting their ability to do their job. Yet I've known powerful women in important jobs who didn't wear makeup or shave their legs, and comparable men who sported scraggly beards, didn't wear socks, or wore the same suit day after day.

We all have our tastes and there's nothing wrong with that. It makes most sense to me to dress and groom however makes us feel best about ourselves, and we'll attract those who are attracted to us at our most comfortable.

She was an idiot.
Just chip off the ice before kissing

Yes, she was. Or at least a bad fit for me.
And that ice sloughed off quickly as soon as I got inside. That pic was taken on a week long back country ski adventure with my last girlfriend. We ultimately weren't compatible, but my beard was never included in her list of complaints.
On the other hand a second date this winter that never got to a third DID comment about not liking to kiss a hairy face. I understand. I don't like to kiss lipstick. Hopefully we all find what we like eventually.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 381
Posted: 3/10/2014 2:48:11 AM
Actually, Beards are ok--what I don't get is so many men sporting sunglasses. Hello? We want to see your eyes!
 OutMind
Msg: 382
Posted: 3/10/2014 8:14:51 AM

If I am not bushy down there, I am looking for a man who is not bushy up there......or down below. :) You see, I am a huge fan of kissing and if the guy has too much facial bush, then it's probably not going to work.

Oh my god. What a great visual I got out of your post. Hmmm. Now I am hungry, for kissing that is.

What some women do not realize is this. That short trimmed beard tends to be softer than the five o-clock shadow, that is pure sand paper. I remember a kissing session back when I only had a mustache and she would be all red.

So how much is the stock going for?
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 383
Posted: 3/10/2014 6:28:51 PM

What some women do not realize is this. That short trimmed beard tends to be softer than the five o-clock shadow, that is pure sand paper

^^^I totally get it. But, it can depend on how hot/heavy the face to face interaction gets, which may determine how much lip balm is needed afterward. The best stuff out there is Sugar/Lip Therapy treatment (lip balm stick) from the Fresh line at Sephora or Nordstrom. It's very expensive, about $25 but works the best out of everything I have ever tried. Will have to check my stock docs.....LOL
 razors_edge55
Msg: 384
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2014 1:56:19 PM
this reminds me what my dad would tell me , " why are you cultivating something on your face that grows wild on your a$$, Oh he had a way,,,
sorry what's a stock doc ?
 Nimowaw77
Msg: 385
Posted: 3/14/2014 4:08:30 PM
I don't know OP, what's it to you if a guy wants to grow a long scraggly beard? If you don't find this attractive on men don't date men who have them. Simple as that.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 386
Posted: 3/15/2014 10:08:00 AM
I like to fully shave ever 3 to 4 days. This way I avoid a lot of neck acne..lol. If I shave everyday then for some reason I get more acne then usual.
 thundercatny
Msg: 387
Posted: 3/16/2014 7:41:42 AM
I sometimes get more attention with a beard, so i tend to grow it out sometimes. Thats pretty much the only reason why i do it. Maybe thats why some men do it? Some women like it and they grow it in.
 ICantDoBackflipsAnyway
Msg: 388
Posted: 4/27/2014 6:59:05 AM
There was a recent study about this phenomenon...
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27023992

So essentially beards come in trends, like any other kind of fashion. More men grow beards, women start liking them. When celebrities do this, it adds fuel to beard love. There eventually reaches a critical point where it stops becoming novel, and then beard love goes on the decline.

More or less, you're all just slaves to trends. Culture dictates what you find attractive.

Also, when women say "grow a beard, and then we'll talk", that's kind of like a guy saying "grow some tits, and then we'll talk". Only one slogan is on t shirts and the other would just be downright offensive.
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 389
Posted: 5/3/2014 6:58:19 PM

then a man, who doesn't have to shave anywhere, should at least shave his face. That is downright laziness.

I shave my tongue every day

Now THAT is funny! Laughed out loud!
I trim and shave in/off beards every day at work. (I am a Barber).
And I am not fond of the swamp man scene at all.
But I do what I can/must to keep America beautiful.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 390
Posted: 5/4/2014 7:31:08 PM
It looks like the 2-day growth is all the rage. It can be attractive, but one enthusiastic kisser with this 2-day growth left my chin bruised and purple for days.
 KYYSS
Msg: 391
Posted: 5/5/2014 1:18:41 PM
I wonder about how men feel about women and their gigantic, plastic, talon-like nails with bits of glitter and diamonds glued on them?
 AddHomonym
Msg: 392
Posted: 5/5/2014 7:45:02 PM
Did somebody say "scraggly beard"?

First thing is we are all mammals. I don't care what your "opinion" of this fact is, it is a fact. Mammals have hair. If you want to have a conversation about weird and crazy, let's talk about scraping razor blades across your flesh in a neurotic and desperately hopeless attempt to remove something that will naturally grow back again. That is weird.

Next thing is, I'm not growing my beard for you or anyone else. I'm growing my beard for me. I believe it feels right and natural and I like the way I look. The guys out there who are desperately trying to win your approval are the ones with little bits of bloody toilet paper stuck to their faces, going into spas to have some industrial wax-job done to them...lol You can have them.

Why are men growing out their beards? Maybe because they are curious to know what it feels like to be a man? Maybe they think there might be something more to life than being an accessory for some diva? Bearding may be trendy right now but men have carried their beards with pride long before this and they won't go away when you decide it's no longer "in". I think that is why some women hate beards as much as they do - it has nothing to do with you. It's a guy thing, you wouldn't understand.

Personally, for the first time in my life, I don't have a boss or a love interest nagging me to shave my beard off. One day, it occurred to me that I have never even seen what ME looks like. All I have ever known is what other people thought I should look like. I'm interested in finding out, so I stopped cutting my hair. It's an amazing process and I'm enjoying it.

I've never told a woman to shave or what to do with her body and I don't have time for women who try to tell me what to do with mine. In fact, I actively avoid such people. I understand that some people don't like my beard and they are free to cross the street when they see me coming. I'm hoping I can meet one of those rare and precious ones who actually appreciates a nice beard. I know they exist but they are probably happily married to their happily bearded husbands.

From where I'm sitting, there is nothing more natural or manly than a man with a beard. Rather than worrying about why so many men are growing beards, you might want to ask yourself why you have a problem with it?
 moraima
Msg: 393
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2014 8:05:24 PM
`` Rather than worrying about why so many men are growing beards, you might want to ask yourself why you have a problem with it```

Let`s see..............

It makes me shudder when you try to get close to me. (thinking of the food and drink still trapped in it unless you shampoo it after every meal or drink.)

It made me give up even thinking about kissing a man with facial hair years ago.

My torn up face just told me no more, decades ago!

Have at growing facial hair. Just don`t ask me to get near you. (And don`t get so annoyed when I won`t go out on a date with you because of your facial hair.)
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 394
Posted: 5/5/2014 10:02:40 PM

Why are men growing out their beards? Maybe because they are curious to know what it feels like to be a man?

And then they realize that it was the greatest choice they ever made. I had just the goatee for years, I don't think I'm ever going back.

But yeah, girls, who cares why guys want a beard? Some do it because it's cool, and some even pay a lot of money for hair implants to try to be cool. Some girls can't stand the feeling of any beard, some girls love it.

But the common trend you're going to see is that most men with a beard aren't doing it because it's the trend, they're doing it because they just like it. It's just like how you wake up and decide what clothes to wear. We decided we want a beard. We really couldn't care less if it impresses a girl, it's how we want to look, with or without a girl.
 Tollini
Msg: 395
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2014 6:55:57 PM
I love beards. mmm
 mountinmann
Msg: 396
Posted: 5/9/2014 11:31:27 PM
The scruffy homeless look is hip in Los Angeles.

I think it's disgusting, so I generally stay clean shaven.

But then again, I don't take selfies all day either.
 easterparadehat
Msg: 397
Posted: 5/11/2014 10:55:32 AM
Get use to the fact that many women don't like lower facial hair on a man. If a woman likes the Grizzly Adam's look then that is who you'll get. The problem is when men are clean shaven when they first start dating a woman and then they turn around and get the beard look once they finally have the relationship they want.
 Danielbamabama
Msg: 398
Posted: 5/15/2014 3:34:32 PM
girls like hairy man
 Taurus0420
Msg: 399
Posted: 5/24/2014 9:48:58 AM
Actually I could not grow a beard during my 30 years in the Air Force plus 4 before that for ROTC, etc. My girlfriend (my profile is hidden, not looking, but will post a success story once engaged officially) has family members that grow a beard every winter. So I suggested I would to see how she likes it. She gave me a Wahl trimmer for Christmas which I use every week to keep my beard to 3/8 inch. She prefers the beard because it is soft versus the 5 o'clock shadow which is sandpaper on her face. Now that the weather is warmer I asked if I should lose it. She said no way! She thinks it is sexy and distinguished. Three of her friends think it looks hot as well, but she knows couple friends who dislike beards. It is a matter of personal preference. I dated women before my girlfriend that insisted on a certain height, no fat guys, no bald guys, etc. and then had posted pics that were 15 years old. In person they were much heavier and one even had a mullet, lol. So I think people need to keep things in perspective. Be polite even if you do not find the person attractive. I used to thank ladies for reading my profile and contacting me, even if I did not think they were a good match and even had a couple contact me from 350 miles away that wanted to meet for coffee. Long drive for a cup or two. A key thing to consider in every situation, is even if you do not connect with the person, they could be a friend or family member of someone you do meet later, so no sense in creating a hostile situation when one does not need to. You can politely tell someone that you do not feel there is a spark, but you wish them well in finding the right person. Insults only create hard feelings.
 Nimowaw77
Msg: 400
Posted: 5/27/2014 2:15:45 PM
To all the women who posted that men should care what women think, you should understand that men or just like you . Just as women dress for themselves and style their hair for themselves, some men grow facial hair for themselves. But if your going to insist that your partner has to look a certain way for you, then you better make sure you look a certain way for him- not cutting your hair, for example.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Beards??? What is going on?