Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Memory Functioning      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CressB
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Mandela EffectPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
lol

He wasn't a bible basher? he was a christian, who was upset about perceived "changes" to the bible. And surprisingly damned rational/open-minded for a christian. You need to pay better attention.
 gingerosity
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/12/2016 5:30:36 AM
Is it more likely that the survey was measuring people's overconfidence in the accuracy of their memory or some kind of warp in the fabric of space-time? The data was interesting but the speculations weren't. I stopped watching about halfway through when he got to the testimonials.

The example questions were not particularly useful in getting beyond the obvious explanation. Things like the magic mirror vs mirror mirror quote are easily explained by a bit of mishearing, misquoting and paraphrasing over many decades.
http://www.tv.com/shows/bewitched/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-25073/
It gets publicised in a few influential places like that and then that's how people remember it - probably accurately for 9 out of 10 times they have heard it. The one time they heard it the "right" way they may be put down to mishearing it since they've heard it the other way the previous nine times.

Likewise "build it and they will come" has been used a lot in business contexts (google if you disbelieve). It makes no sense in that context to say "build it and he will come" because it is referring to a multitude of customers. So people remember hearing it bandied about like that and respond to the question accurately that that is what they remember. They are just mistaken about the source of the certain memory.

Such overconfidence in the accuracy of our memories is well known in the courts - even the most confident eye-witnesses can be dead wrong. It seems to me to be similar - perhaps even neurologically related - to our overconfidence in the depth of our understanding, which I think we have discussed previously. http://www.yale.edu/cogdevlab/aarticles/IOED%20proofs.pdf%201.pdf

Why have we evolved so that we naturally assume that we are great in such cognitive areas that we actually suck at? Perhaps we already know. In fact, I'm almost certain of it.
 CressB
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/12/2016 4:03:18 PM
This one is pretty fun/interesting. Well a little more than interesting to me:

https://youtu.be/oMwacCZUAy4
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/12/2016 4:33:39 PM
Most people's memories are scaringly impressionable and plastic. We can be deceived and manipulated if we're not very vigilant. I observe it happen quite often with others in day to day real life. When that's combined with a situation wherein it's a 'them' outnumbering solitary me, when it comes down to it, they just end up thinking I'm wacko. It's quite entertaining. In a sad way.
 CressB
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/12/2016 4:57:21 PM
Hay, drink what do you remember? (be honest now - don't use the web to cheat if you don't know)

"That's not a knife. That's a knife."

"That's not a knife. This is a knife."

Don't know that one. Don't cheat. I'll give you another one. I literally have like a 100 more we can use - only been searching for two days too.
 kidreason29
Msg: 31
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/12/2016 9:55:57 PM
memories can become distorted overtime due to overlapping similarities between two separate events.
all input goes through perception before being stored as data,

should be the primary variables to consider
 kidreason29
Msg: 32
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/12/2016 10:25:24 PM
what bothers me...what is with the misconception that we have difficulty multitasking. we multitask all the time without being aware of it, otherwise you are separating self into conscious and unconscious
 CressB
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/13/2016 1:04:55 AM
Whoa! Just got into this whole mandela thing 3 days ago now. 2 days ago I watched a clip from the movie Apollo 13 and it was a mandela effect, the line was "Huston we've had a problem" when I watched it then, and the line people were remembering it as is "Huston we have a problem". I was just on Reddit and somebody posted that the line has now returned to its original version, so I go to YouTube and looked it up again and sure as sh!t it is back to "Huston we have a problem". WTF!

So, guess I confabulated my original confabulation?

link to movie clip @ 1:15

https://youtu.be/kAmsi05P9Uw

Reddit page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/52hqzp/mandela_we_have_a_problem/?st=it16a7d3&sh=13ae259d

Astronauts on NASA auto still say "Huston we've had a problem" though:

https://youtu.be/MBxefAwlyts

hopefully it stays like this long enough for you guys to look at it.
 CressB
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/13/2016 2:36:48 AM
{edit^^^ should say audio not auto.
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/13/2016 4:25:47 AM
cress...knife...Heck, I dunno which I'd say is the correct wording. At the moment we're concentrating on a very minor change in wording within a sentence or cliché/meme. But I'm more interested, or at least equally interested, in when this happens in other ways other than remembered words or in a bigger way.

A misremembered wording CAN be very consequential though. In here, I'm always talking about the power of tweaked linguistics even when minor. I occasionally find myself thinking that when I say something to someone, they hear their interpretation of what I said instead of what I said. And then their memory of my wording changes to fit what they decided that I was saying. All within a span of 60 seconds of a conversation. And I don't mean those instances of vernacular or grammatical differences either. But obviously they weren't really listening to what I was really saying and were operating according to other things going on in their head having to do with predispositions or biases or presumptions, etc. It's such a trip. It's similar to when you ask a customer service dumbass a question, and they spill out a prepared/rehearsed answer to a question that you didn't ask...they have this top 10 list of Q/A in their heads and assume that you're asking one of them and don't actually listen to what you're saying. You end up repeating your question about 5 times, and all you get is them thinking that you're trying to be difficult.

You'd think, though, that this couldn't happen so much in text-based forums, btw, when it's all there for people to look over again and recheck themselves. However...forgetting this forum...I mess around in another forum and I saw this happen there once so bad on a group level that it still blows my mind, after over a year. A forum where they don't play any games, and it's all on the up-and-up. And they still went over the cliff, group-style.

But anyway, about things other than wording...you ever have this experience or see it happen to another person? (I'll speak from the first-person to make it easy) - When interacting with one person, there is what I'd call a flub...barely ranking as a harmless personality "conflict" which is otherwise not due to either person's ill intentions, but just a rub (don't know how else to describe it at the moment). Then while interacting with another person, there is a rub as well...but it is of a very different nature. A wholly different category. For a very different reason. Not due to the same personality trait of mine or even the same category or type of personality trait. But in fact each case is independent and is due either to the other person's trait or just how each of our traits come together, yet is harmless and not from any kind of maliciousness. And the next thing you know...heh...because of certain social failings or insecurities in the average person...it has come up in casual conversation between the other two people and they've become convinced that they shared the same experience with you and decided that you have a certain personality trait. And then they begin interacting with you according to this updated perception of you...but it's really weird, because of course it's wholly incorrect in the first place and you can't understand where the heck they're coming from. And I'm not talking about when people kinda-sorta do this on purpose because they're scheming or have ill-intent...that's a bit easier to understand I guess...but I mean those times when they really are susceptible to doing this innocently and not out of any spite.

Eeenteresting...
 CressB
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/13/2016 4:43:36 AM
drink:

Dude, not trying to be rude or anything, but did you read my latest post about Apollo 13? WTF! Been doing some more research into this specific mandela effect since it's recent flip-flop back to the original version (Apollo 13). Apparently this thing has been flip-flopping back and forth for months now. look it up on YouTube. And I personally witnessed this flip-flop tonight. This thing is blowing my mind!

{edit>>> it may sound ludicrous (it even sounds ludicrous to me) but I sh!t you not it's true.
 CressB
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/13/2016 5:20:39 AM
Man do we ever have a problem.

https://youtu.be/xMyXqS9Ngfg
 CressB
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/13/2016 5:47:43 AM
Hilarious LMAO:

https://youtu.be/5CTq9pIuxdg
 funchesf
Msg: 39
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 10:05:30 AM

Posted By: CressB
"That's not a knife. That's a knife."

"That's not a knife. This is a knife."

perhaps because people were confusing the two movies Crocodile Dundee with Crocodile Dundee 2

In Crocodile Dundee ...Dundee stated "That's not a knife...this is a knife
In Crocodile Dundee 2 ...in the subway scene, one of the minions of those that held Dundee's wife Sue hostage stated "now that's a knife"
 CressB
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 10:46:29 AM
^^^

In Crocodile Dundee ...Dundee stated "That's not a knife...this is a knife

Wrong! From Crocodile Dundee (first movie - begins at 0:21):

https://youtu.be/WWl8EbNN8NM

You guys really should look into this stuff instead of just making assumptions. Something Very interesting is going on here!
 CressB
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 11:11:37 AM
This one is so awesome!

https://youtu.be/IsLkP-dq93A
 kidreason29
Msg: 42
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 12:43:46 PM
meh, the Mandela effect ... I see nothing extraordinary here. Just a simple confusion people catch onto. All the conspiracy theories are funny to read though, thanks. Dejavu has some better theories and implications of mind/memory/etc imo, and at least this one has a strange feeling to go with it.

For the post above, it always ended better with 'of the world' anyway. That's how I would sing it, it just ends better.

Nothing to see here folks move along
 funchesf
Msg: 43
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 1:53:28 PM

Wrong! From Crocodile Dundee (first movie - begins at 0:21):

it's wrong because I didn't watch a video but used recall and your examples ..which is why just because a group of people get words wrong doesn't necessarily point to the existence of a parallel world but mostly to the brain subconsciously rearranging or substituting words that fit or sound better

You guys really should look into this stuff instead of just making assumptions.

perhaps it would be better if you explain and debated The Mandela Effect without using youtube links which are a distraction
 CressB
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 2:12:11 PM
^^^

Yes, now researching the the details of a phenomenon is a distraction. That's just Brilliant. What is the point of debating the subject with you when all you want to do is make poorly founded assumptions about the mater, based on a lack of knowledge about the subject. What do you have to offer other than ignorance.

When I asked drink to reply to that remark that you did, I asked for the selection of one of two answers. What YOU gave me was a poorly formed, unresearched, hypothesis based in obvious ignorance, designed to validate your obvious predetermine bias to the subject.

As of right now you have nothing of substance to offer in a debate on the subject.
 CressB
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 2:26:40 PM
Surprised that nobody has taken a shot at me yet for my post in MSG 36.

{edit>>>

This video is five minutes and 33 seconds. I would like to see some rational explanations for this. And remember I have personally experienced the exact same thing this guy is explaining. Does anybody have something intelligent to say about this?

https://youtu.be/IeeKC8qUpRo
 funchesf
Msg: 46
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 3:17:14 PM

Yes, now researching the the details of a phenomenon is a distraction

posting YouTube and Wikipedia links is not researching ...it's the same as the "Mandela Effect" but is called "The Google Cut and Paste Effect" a phenomenon that occurs in threads where people place links as a substitute for thinking and original thought

What do you have to offer other than ignorance.

actually I'm producing a Sci-fi series that dabbles into a similar concept based on my theory that everyone exist or have at one time existed in two separate realities, one reality when one is conscious or awake and another reality when one is asleep or have died in which either reality can effect the beliefs and behavior in the other

for the series I've written scripts pertaining to parallel worlds created 3D props of parallel worlds even uploaded on my profile page a 3d version of myself in a parallel world that can be viewed until it gets deleted .......is this sufficient enough for you?

As of right now you have nothing of substance to offer in a debate on the subject.

I guess that means that I have to post youtube or widipedia links

What YOU gave me was a poorly formed, unresearched, hypothesis based in obvious ignorance, designed to validate your obvious predetermine bias to the subject.

Temper Temper ....I've also created a website, produced over 100 youtube videos, facebook page, twitter page (with links upon POF mail request) all dedicated to some form of parallel worlds-ism ..so ...er....perhaps I am bias

I wasn't trying to start any trouble or upset you....I was asking the same questions that the characters in the series or someone rational would ask ...shame on me ...so I will now leave this thread and perhaps leap into a parallel world with a similar Mandela Effect thread
 CressB
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 3:46:52 PM

posting YouTube and Wikipedia links is not researching ...it's the same as the "Mandela Effect" but is called "The Google Cut and Paste Effect" a phenomenon that occurs in threads where people place links as a substitute for thinking and original thought

Dude, you are always so absurd. The entire phenomenon has to do with people's personal experiences, and attempting to determine whether or not those experiences are valid or not. Currently these experiences are being delivered to the public via YouTube and other on line source (FYI, I haven't quoted Wiki in this thread). IT IS THE ENTIRE SUBJECT. WITHOUT IT THERE IS NO SUBJECT.

This whole subject is the sheer number of people having these experiences, and other's claims that the phenomenon is on going (i.e. things are still changing and these changes can be physically observed).

So tell me then, how is it that the debate can go anywhere at all, with you stern restriction on all of the relevant subject material?

Dude don't come at me with this kind of ridiculous nonsense anymore. I won't respond if you do so again. Get you head out of you @$$ man.
 kidreason29
Msg: 48
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 6:44:18 PM

Dude, you are always so absurd. The entire phenomenon has to do with people's personal experiences, and attempting to determine whether or not those experiences are valid or not. Currently these experiences are being delivered to the public via YouTube and other on line source (FYI, I haven't quoted Wiki in this thread). IT IS THE ENTIRE SUBJECT. WITHOUT IT THERE IS NO SUBJECT.

This whole subject is the sheer number of people having these experiences, and other's claims that the phenomenon is on going (i.e. things are still changing and these changes can be physically observed).

So tell me then, how is it that the debate can go anywhere at all, with you stern restriction on all of the relevant subject material?

Dude don't come at me with this kind of ridiculous nonsense anymore. I won't respond if you do so again. Get you head out of you @$$ man.

PASS DAT SHEEESH MAHN... mmm thanks, here it is:

Was is all is, is. Everything is a was otherwise it would of never had been an is, unless something is capable of being in time for the smallest unit of time and then disappearing instantaneously after. (sounds like nothing is capable of this, see my laws of "nothing and everything") No one lives completely now with the is, everything comes in from the past, due to the speed of light, otherwise everything would already be done, it would of always been an was because it would of happened instantaneously, nothing would of been there to observe it as is.

THEREFORE, there is no IS, only WAS, because nothing can see anything as IS.
 CressB
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 7:07:20 PM
^^^ *facedesk*

Its like trying to teach a couple of monkeys how to use the internet with you two = no intelligent discourse remotely possible.
 kidreason29
Msg: 50
Mandela Effect
Posted: 9/14/2016 10:39:20 PM
Forrest Gump - "Life is like a box of chocolate"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJh59vZ8ccc

anyone else want some sheesh?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Memory Functioning