Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Meet Me - profiles read before saying Yes/No??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ctguitarguy
Msg: 19
Meet Me - profiles read before saying Yes/No??Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Its lame, they are people that have little chance of a date and need volume rather than quality. And yes also agree, if I did write them there was very little communication.
I think that feature is simply for POF to sell more ads on the site, LOL!
 smothy
Msg: 21
Meet Me - profiles read before saying Yes/No??
Posted: 12/31/2011 6:51:18 PM
If i receive a meet me email i check out the sender if interested i then see if they have looked at my profile.If they haven,t will ask what about me that interests them.
Ive also received reply s asking wt... i am talking about as they have not sent the message.go figure
 DivineBovine
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:59:53 AM

they have not sent the message

but they DON'T send the message.

most people don't understand how Meet Me works and that's because NOWHERE on the page does it say "if you click Yes, this person will get an email telling them that you want to meet them".

it's pretty dishonest on the part of PoF, but Big Fish has ignored all the suggestions and complaints made on several threads in the suggestion forum.

people go to Meet Me and look at pics and think to themselves "yeah, that looks like someone i'd probably like to meet" and click Yes thinking it will save them to some special section that they could go back to, not that the system is sending that person an email.

even worse, Maybe counts as Yes...

jeep1127girl
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/1/2012 8:32:21 AM
I get so many..wanting to meet me..I dont think they ever read my profile..
I go and read their profiles and we have nothing in common.
I hate it when they ask me question that are clearly stated in my profile, if they took the time to read it they would know.
 _allen_
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:34:29 PM
If there isn't an actually email from said person who "wants to meet me", I usually delete those "Meet Me" emails.

This feature of POF is nothing more than a form of window shopping without the intent on buying or the equivalent of visiting Amazon.com and adding an item(s) to their "Wish List" with no intent on buying.
 SeaCatcher
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:41:35 PM
Why use the Meet Me feature without checking the profiles? Would be a waste of time and getting the other person's hopes up and then deflating them isn't friendly.
 BrookfieldGentlemanTom
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/8/2012 12:57:15 PM
here's what i don't like about the Meet Me feature for women who want to meet me:

the women USUALLY LIVE VERY FAR AWAY.

they are all in one age range - 55to 65 and my profile range is ANY AGE.

when I go on the Meet Me feature to see women it's the same. women from far away all in the 55 to 65 year old range.

so i don't use it at all.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2012 1:08:14 PM
I DESPISE this feature...

I'd say about 95% of the emails I get from this are guys who haven't read my profile. To me that is a lack of interest in me as a human being..and a lack of desire or ability to start a conversation... and I have no time for that.
 BrookfieldGentlemanTom
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/8/2012 1:15:46 PM
i read your profile ravenstar^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you wrote:

If you think the twin towers were brought down by Iraqi flight students with box cutters - keep moving.

who do YOU THINK brought them down?
 egowitch
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/8/2012 3:12:36 PM
I SO don't like this feature ! People are reacting to a photo , and I don't think they're aware that the person in the photo is notified when you click "yes", or "maybe".

Very occasionally, I've emailed someone. But these "meet me" folks rarely email me. If someone really wants to meet me, but can't take the time to say something , I am quite uninspired to hunt them down.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/8/2012 9:20:04 PM
When I joined a week or two ago, I was overwhelmed with all the women in my area that I thought I might want to ask out for coffees so I started to select the ones I intended to contact and put them in my favourites to make it easier to find them again.

It didn't take long to slog through them and get rid of those who weren't interested or responding. That might be why guys are adding favs?

The Meet Me feature is something I thought was supposed to help POF select people to put at the top of your Matches screen? I didn't realize that it was sending out bot-messages to people. I have been treating it as a Hot or Not thing and nothing more. I've never checked a profile of someone I saw on Meet Me.

There is one peculiar woman who added me as a fav but doesn't respond to messages?

Maybe she has a booger eating fetish and just likes to look at my pics over and over again...lol

Why on earth should I care who she selects as a favourite? It's not like it costs me anything.

Rather than Meet Me sending me profile pics, I'd rather get updates on people who match my interests. That is why I have taken to clicking the links on interesting profiles so I can see the other users who have listed that same interest on theirs.

If you have an interest in something uncommon, it's a great way to find others who share your interest in that thing and also gives you an amazing ice-breaker to open up a conversation.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/8/2012 10:45:13 PM
^^^^^ @ love riding: I think it's a good feature. You are a GREAT case in point. You're a very HOT woman. You're right the feature is based entirely on the physical. You're also right; you're in damn good shape. KUDOS. Very impressive. If your picture popped up on my screen; I would immediately check out your profile. Unfortunately, we're not into the same stuff. I have no interest whatsoever in motorcycling. It seems huge in your life. Cool. But not for me. I have become very selective in e-mailing. This feature has helped me with that. If I'm attracted, I chk. out the profile. If thats cool. I press yes. Think. Then message. It makes me think. No impulsivity. These "favorites" are kept on hold until I think of hopefully an interesting message. Sometime I may change my mind. I find the favorite section too invasive because of the time thing. I don't want to check up on anyone and for sure resent anyone wanting to know the last time I was on line. Pretty stalkerish I think.
 lobo65
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2012 8:12:21 PM
I get a few here and there, but it's usually by women who look old enough to be my mom.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/9/2012 8:35:28 PM
what's baffling about ""MEET ME ...???""

when I've done it..

if the girl looks HOT..

yes

if not

no

its not like I've studied every single profile of women on the meet me feature.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/10/2012 9:06:30 PM
What????
We are supposed to really read yall's profiles?
Do we gotta?
geez.....and yall ladies....make em so loooong......
.....and booooooring.

Can't we just click yes to your smiling picture and be done with it?
I mean we're guys,
and just got more important stuff to do.
 Mistybreeze201
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/11/2012 1:59:09 AM
What I hate is when you go see the profile of someone that said they wanted to meet you, send a message to them, and they then tell you they are not interested. Why would they click yes if they didnt want to meet you...stupid if u ask me.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/11/2012 7:59:26 AM
^^^^Misty, this happens to me too. A lot. Maybe, after reading the profile; some miniscule dealbreaker was detected. Also, given the background of some of these folks; they probably meant "no"" and said "yes". I could see where navigating their way through yes, no and maybe would be a huge task for some using free dating sites.
 DMV_Living
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:34:18 AM
I had a gal email earlier this week saying to me thanks for contacting her through the "Meet Me" and proceeded with an opening email. Sounds good but I don't use "Meet Me" at all to contact the ladies. I'll just use email.

I went back to check to make sure I didn't accidently click on her profile but my Meet Me section is completely empty. That tells me POF does play around with this. Interesting thing is that I use the Meet Me for the women who want to actually meet me. It could be that I'm contacting them thinking they've used Meet Me but never have.

Oh well. It's working so no complaints.
 corriedale
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/12/2012 11:51:15 AM
I ignore the "meet me" button.... feels like a dog whistle and besides I state on my profile not to do it and please send an email instead. ...obviously they didn't read my whole profile so how can they be truly interested,,,,, right?l
 neckbird07
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2012 3:36:52 PM
To those of you complaining about being in someone's favorites column, and not writing to you. That's the point!! You put someone in your favorites so you can write to them at a later date!!! As for the meet me feature, no I don't check the profile,, that also is the point. Physically attractiveness is high in importantance. You worry about the profile if they respond back, that way if you do get a response, you know there's a better chance that you are not typing for nothing. I have better things to do with my time, as this site is secondary and sporatic for me when it comes to dating.
 whurrareyou
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/12/2012 5:24:02 PM
I agree- there are MANY people on this website I can take one look at and know that I will not be dating him and I don't need to read his profile to make that decision. Vain as it may be, looks ARE important. If you aren't attracted to someone then you're wasting your time from the very start. A lot of us don't have a lot of time to spend on this website. I like the feature- hopefully it keeps those I've clicked "NO" on out of my future matches. That said, I won't put a photo up either. I don't WANT to be inundated with messages from men I would never date.... I'll share it with those who I think I might want to date but other than that, no way.

friendshipcomesfirst
Msg: 42
To accept the things I can not change..?..
Posted: 3/12/2012 11:40:38 PM
The Meet Me feature is actually supposed to help POF with the "your matches" section... the more you use it, the more accurate the matches (supposedly). Yes, I use the feature, yes I ALWAYS read the profile first... no I do not e-mail every single guy I say yes to... I'm not small, and if their profile doesn't clarify if they like curvy women, I tend to hit yes thus "throwing the ball in their court"... Some, I do e-mail at the same time... Depends on how interested I am, and what information they shared...

BTW- I HATE when a guy says "looking for a beautiful woman" Beauty is relative! Why can't they say what beautiful looks like??
 tlcme1964
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:28:49 AM
Apparently you have your answer so why ask?

Of coarse it's all based on looks initially. Hardly anyone reads a profile prior to contacting anyway, regardless how much BS people sling & say they do, especially using the "MEET ME" feature. We're all guilty of it to some degree or another anyhow & its naive to think otherwise..

If we meet someone while we're out & about, OFFLINE, the initial attraction is based on looks & looks alone. Doesn't mean you have to follow up with those who don't meet your criteria on here though.

POF will email the heck out of me & for any reason, so I changed my settings to get none.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Meet Me - profiles read before saying Yes/No??