Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > End of the World (2012) and POF ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Viper1E
Msg: 51
End of the World (2012) and POF ?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

"I can think of a lot of reasons to cash out and run away with your family these days to a desert island," said Davis, "but this Mayan prophesy isn't one of them."

I still see no harm in having an extra can of beans in the cupboard, and a full tank in the bird.
 Tah,
Msg: 52
End of the World (2012) and POF ?
Posted: 1/3/2012 11:57:13 PM
i would agree with the above poster
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 12:43:44 AM
Of course Christians want the world to end: it means that they all get to heaven and those who don't accept Jesus as savior are swept into hell. It is the ultimate "Neener, neener--I TOLD you so" scenario.

Real Christians do not believe in such a manner and if you have come across some that do then they are nothing more then radicals of the Christian faith that uses the Christain name in vain to promote their own ill will, because that type of sentiment doesn't align itself with the actual representation of the Christian faith itself.
 Tah,
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:00:34 AM
Real christians is such a broad term....

so many christians think that there version is the real one, in fact i don't think a christian can or does exist thinking thiers aint the real version.

forum is full of christians...
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:08:34 AM
Real christians is such a broad term....

I'm referring to those wolves in sheeps clothing that us it to try to manipulate what isn't there and use that as their base for their own ill will vs those that actually don't and follow what is actually written.
 Tah,
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:23:54 AM
if i go on ill be labelled one of those wolves you speak about....

again they all say that about the other, not even the jw's who claim exlusively and more realistcly they follow the first ways actualy do...and stil they tar other christians with the brush i speak off , hypocriticly.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:32:11 AM
There is a diff between matters of opinions vs illivised hate.
 Tah,
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:03:00 AM
there is but theres also a difference between the high moral ground and where you actualy are..
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:10:21 AM
Only in contrast.

Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:22:49 AM

Real Christians do not believe in such a manner and if you have come across some that do then they are nothing more then radicals of the Christian faith that uses the Christain name in vain to promote their own ill will, because that type of sentiment doesn't align itself with the actual representation of the Christian faith itself.

I am afraid this is off-topic and I do not wish to lead the conversation away from the thread subject, but who "gets" to define and chose who are the "real" Christians?
 Viper1E
Msg: 61
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:26:16 AM

who "gets" to define and chose who are the "real" Christians?

You didn't get the memo!

Only "real" Christians are allowed to define "real" Christians! It's a law..

It's federal actually, not just a state thing..
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:28:33 PM

I am afraid this is off-topic and I do not wish to lead the conversation away from the thread subject, but who "gets" to define and chose who are the "real" Christians?

Those that follow in which its intendend purposes are for and those that use it for their own hate onto others.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:38:16 PM

only Presbyterians and Southern baptists of course! all others are, in reality, infidels.
 daynadaze
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:50:39 PM
The Bible is full of hate and murder and stoning, etc. all in the name of god, you are going to have to be more specific about what makes one a real Christian.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/4/2012 1:51:57 PM
^^

it is christian-bashing to point that out! :) lolz..
 archer6366
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/4/2012 2:28:48 PM
I used to think of this as a joke, or a fantasy from a movie. Since new year's, I'm hearing more and more "debates" here and there; like religious nuts in this country think of this as a totally sane question if rapture is going to happen this year or not. Extent of religious ignorance and denial of science continues to surprise me.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:29:24 PM

Those that follow in which its intendend purposes are for and those that use it for their own hate onto others.

What is the "intended" purpose, and who gets to define and chose the intended purpose?

only Presbyterians and Southern baptists of course! all others are, in reality, infidels.

No way! My family (me = lone exception) are Southern Baptists, and SB all know that Presbyterians aren't real Christian--they sprinkle, not immerse!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:34:25 PM
daynadaze, you're ref the old testament not the new testament in which the christain doctrine is based on. Christians base their faith around the new testament and use the old testament only has ref to the historical documentation of the coming of jesus. Unlike the Jewish faith we don't ref the old testament as our doctrine.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:40:39 PM
What is the "intended" purpose, and who gets to define and chose the intended purpose

The intended purpose in which one follows by in which they submit themselves to that reasoning to the actual doctrine itself and not to be used for their own self righteousness cause. I will ref an example of this to the 2nd amendment in which states the right to bare arms which the intended purpose of this amendment was to bare arms against an invading force at the time the 2nd amendment as admended but some see this ref to having a right to have a gun in generel instead. That's the best exp of an explanation in which I can ref too inregards to following something in which its intended purposes is for and those that take something that's not the intended purpose and use it for their own self righeousness reasoning instead.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:14:54 PM

daynadaze, you're ref the old testament not the new testament in which the christain doctrine is based on. Christians base their faith around the new testament and use the old testament only has ref to the historical documentation of the coming of jesus. Unlike the Jewish faith we don't ref the old testament as our doctrine.

Au contraire--Paul refers to the Hebrew Scriptures to validate his teachings. Take 1 Timothy 2:11-14:
A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner

Although Christian profess to be saved through grace and not the law, they still refer to the Ten Commandments on a consistent basis.

The intended purpose in which one follows by in which they submit themselves to that reasoning to the actual doctrine itself and not to be used for their own self righteousness cause.

No offense, but you just told me that a widget is a wadget and a wadget is a widget. Not only that, but by promoting your view on this as the "correct" view and setting yourself up as an expert, you also skate very close to the self-righteousness that you deplore.

To be "Christian" means to be Christlike, and I have met no human being who truly fits this description. And I must ask, to be Christlike, does that mean that it is permissible to overturn the tables of the moneylenders?
 Viper1E
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:46:25 PM

Maybe change all our profiles to looking "Intimate Encounter," go to the beach and get washed away by a 300 foot tidal wave in some real life twisted version of "From Here To Eternity?" How a propos......LOL

You've GOT to see a movie called Supernova. Peter Fonda is an astrophysicist that discovers the planet has one week left..

He empties his accounts, hires a plane, spends the last week on an island beach with a beautiful blond. Just as everything blows up, manages to time it to be in the middle of an orgasm with said blond!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:50:59 PM
Gwen that was in ref to women in ministry

There are many “objections” to this view of women in ministry. A common one is that Paul restricts women from teaching because in the first century, women were typically uneducated. However, 1 Timothy 2:11-14 nowhere mentions educational status. If education were a qualification for ministry, the majority of Jesus' disciples would not have been qualified. A second common objection is that Paul only restricted the women of Ephesus from teaching (1 Timothy was written to Timothy, who was the pastor of the church in Ephesus). The city of Ephesus was known for its temple to Artemis, a false Greek/Roman goddess. Women were the authority in the worship of Artemis. However, the book of 1 Timothy nowhere mentions Artemis, nor does Paul mention Artemis worship as a reason for the restrictions in 1 Timothy 2:11-12.

A third common objection is that Paul is only referring to husbands and wives, not men and women in general. The Greek words in the passage could refer to husbands and wives; however, the basic meaning of the words refers to men and women. Further, the same Greek words are used in verses 8-10. Are only husbands to lift up holy hands in prayer without anger and disputing (verse 8)? Are only wives to dress modestly, have good deeds, and worship God (verses 9-10)? Of course not. Verses 8-10 clearly refer to all men and women, not only husbands and wives. There is nothing in the context that would indicate a switch to husbands and wives in verses 11-14.

Yet another frequent objection to this interpretation of women in ministry is in relation to women who held positions of leadership in the Bible, specifically Miriam, Deborah, and Huldah in the Old Testament. This objection fails to note some significant factors. First, Deborah was the only female judge among 13 male judges. Huldah was the only female prophet among dozens of male prophets mentioned in the Bible. Miriam's only connection to leadership was being the sister of Moses and Aaron. The two most prominent women in the times of the Kings were Athaliah and Jezebel—hardly examples of godly female leadership. Most significantly, though, the authority of women in the Old Testament is not relevant to the issue. The book of 1 Timothy and the other Pastoral Epistles present a new paradigm for the church—the body of Christ—and that paradigm involves the authority structure for the church, not for the nation of Israel or any other Old Testament entity.

I think you are misunderstanding. there is no widget or wadget as you would like to call it but instead following what's written and not using it out of contents to promote your self rightousess cause by manipulating something that isn't there as your base of reasoning. Again i use the 2nd amendment as a prime example. I am not trying to portray myself as an expert but instead citing what i learnt. I'm not portarying myself as self rightouses, because i am imperfect. You asked the diff i explained it, that is all.

Because man is imperfect. No one is born perfect so there for no one is perfect.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/4/2012 8:04:14 PM
No one is born perfect so there for no one is perfect.

So true, but for some crazy reason other people judge people based on this and will even deny them fundamental rights that are afforded to others, just because some people could not understand that no one is born perfect so there for no one is perfect.

It is like, because there might be more of them, they assume they they are perfect and anyone that is not like them, must be imperfect.

Not a very nice group of people if you ask me.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/4/2012 8:26:23 PM
Steelcity, nice cut and paste job from this site: http://www.gotquestions.org/women-pastors.html

You need to cite people whom you steal from or it is considered plagiarism. And if I had wanted a trite answer from a website, I would have Googled it.

Gwen that was in ref to women in ministry

I KNOW to what it referred--I also know what you know because I attended a Christian church for many years. There is nothing you can tell me that I haven't already heard or read; it is all rhetoric. I wouldn't have needed to do a copy and paste job.

However, you did miss my point. Paul says that "because of Eve" women should not teach and should be subservient to their husbands (and men in general, despite your protestations). It is on an OLD TESTAMENT story that Paul validates his decree.

As I also said, Christians consistently refer to the Ten Commandments; if the Hebrew Scriptures had NO bearing on Christianity, then they would be ignored.

Paul also says in Romans 15:4:
For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.

The writings from the past are the Hebrew Scriptures, aka the Old Testament. If they had NO bearing on Christianity, then Paul would have said, "Hey, ignore those old books--they are useless."

I am not trying to portray myself as an expert but instead citing what i learnt.

But you are portraying yourself as an expert: you have debunked everything that does not agree with your beliefs.

You asked the diff i explained it, that is all.

My point in my last post was that you explained nothing. You still haven't.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 9:10:38 PM
Gwen i wasn't trying to portray it as my own. If that was your assumption then i'm sorry. I thought i had quoted it as i normally do quote all my sources, but when i edited my subject line to add more, the quotes got messed up as they changed to this ,< > instead of [ ] that and i forgot to retag the line itself after i deleted it.

Those are ref to the old testament, but again that was ref to women in ministry as the last post explained the reasons behind it.

Yes in order to understand the forth coming of the new testament one must learn its beginings and where its history took place. You can't cite the new without correlating it to the old it would be like reading a half of book and starting in the middle.

I'm sorry but it's you protraying me as the expert that i'm not. But i will say this i'm not an expert on the bible, If i was an expert then i would be able to cite the bible off key word for world in its scriptures in which i clearly can't. So i hope we can put that to rest.

I did explain it, i cited what i meant with an exp, but if you still feel that way then there is nothing more i can do.

It's clear you have your position on faith as i do mine and you and i will have our diff regardless. we can discuss this until we are blue in the face, but your views are diff then mine, but no harm done. I still respect your opinion regardless if i feel otherwise about it. I understand that faith is not for everyone and everyone has a right to express their beleifs and non beliefs about the subject.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > End of the World (2012) and POF ?