Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How can I reduce sugar cravings?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 26
view profile
History
How can I reduce sugar cravings?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
You just need to change your lifestyle. It takes time and doesn't happen overnight. I really don't eat much sugar now. I usually water. I take coffee with skim milk. I make oatmeal with only raisins and oatmeal no additional sugar or salt altho I know there is sugar in raisins. Since my mother had a heart condition and died I rarely use salt either unless it's already in the food. Make exercise part of your life as well as watch what you eat.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 27
How can I reduce sugar cravings?
Posted: 1/7/2012 3:26:36 AM
Skim milk is NOT healthier that whole milk .

Fat reduces sugar cravings.

We need fat.

1. Our bodies cannot digest the protein as well or absorb the calcium from milk without the fat.

2. Vitamins A and D are also fat-soluble. So you can't absorb them from milk when all the fat has been skimmed off. (This makes fortified skim milk the biggest sham of all -- you can pump fat-free milk full of a year's supply of vitamins A and D, but the body can't access them).

3. Milk fat contains glycosphingolipids, types of fats linked to immune system health and cell metabolism.

4. Low-fat and fat-free diets do not help prevent heart disease, and science has now revealed that the link between saturated fat (long villainized as a cause of heart disease) and heart disease is tenuous at best.
SUGAR and processed foods do.

5 The world's healthiest foods are whole foods -- foods that have not been processed. Why? The nutrients in whole foods have a natural synergy with one another -- that is, they work best in and are most beneficial to the body when they are taken together (not when they are isolated in, say, beta-carotene supplements of Vitamin C capsules). So when you pull some or all of the fat out of milk, you throw its nutritional profile out of whack. Basically, you discard all of the health benefits when you discard the fat.

6 And last but definitely not least: healthy dietary fat will NOT make you fat. We've been taught for years that dietary fat is the root of all evil. But we need healthy fat in our diet for proper body composition and long-term weight maintenance. The key factor here is knowing the difference between good fats and bad fats.

7 Altered food is not good for you.
Some fat free or low fat is OK if you replace that fat with another fat.
Flax oil or nuts for example.

Added sugar is the enemy,dangerous artificial sweeteners are even worse and often added to low, non fat products.

Some information quoted from Laine Bergeson
 Tah,
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/7/2012 3:56:05 AM
as said stop the sugar and then stop the carbs after about 3 pm...it aint easy and it gets worse before it gets better
 BettyMcFattttyPants
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/7/2012 8:23:33 AM
^^You're not kidding.

I generally use no or very little dairy, but I did switch to Soy milk to use in cereal.

Petunia gave me some good recommendations for vitamins & supplements so I will see how that works out.

Best of luck to the other dieters!

Here's to a healthy, happy New Year !!
 satx78218
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2012 11:26:19 AM
"Soy milk to use in cereal."

zero for two. Keep swingin' :)

cereal IS sugar (carbs).

"whole grains" is as big of a BigFarma/USDA marketing scam as is "low fat" anything.

If you want milk-like liquid to wet your carbs, liquify almonds, pecans, walnuts, which will elminate the phytoestrogen/GMO soy and provide healthy fats, protein, bulk, and satiety longer than, eww!, soy milk.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/7/2012 11:55:17 AM
Or buy almond milk? I use whipping cream for almost everything. Straight in coffee/tea, watered down for making 'hot chocolate' (sweetened with erythritol or stevia, or both).
 ToThySelf
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/7/2012 3:50:33 PM
I used to believe that you should eliminate all sugar from your diet routine. I would binge on the exact candy that I craved. I went to a nutritionist that told me the reas on I did this was because I wasn't allowing myself to have it in reasonable quantities. I thought there was no way. I had "retrain" my thinking and it was yes way! When I have a sugar craving it gets satisfied and doesn't get out of control. The key is control. I never understood the comparing heroin to sugar. Heroin is an illegal unacceptable drug that causes all types of long term effects. If you eat a chocolate bar while driving you won't hear sirens and be pulled over and arrested. If you are diabetic then there are complications. The majority of people can have sugar in moderate quantities without any lasting effects. I just don't get it.
 SunDevil_in_SC
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/7/2012 4:52:27 PM
OP, you might want to check out the following link:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/13-ways-to-fight-sugar-cravings

ToThyself: The OP noted in the original post that she tried doing portion control, but to no avail ... she always gives in. I only note that since that is why the rest of us have been suggesting to get it out of the house altogether.

And OP, I hope that the prior paragraph did not come across as mean ... actually, that is one of the things that I do respect about you in this endeavor: you have a realistic appraisal of the situation. Ninety percent of the time, I think that is the biggest hurdle to clear.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/8/2012 7:12:36 AM
ToThyself: The OP noted in the original post that she tried doing portion control, but to no avail ... she always gives in. I only note that since that is why the rest of us have been suggesting to get it out of the house altogether.

I went through the same thing. If you don't constantly keep on top of it and you just give up then you will train yourself to give up and not reap the benefits. If you are hungry then it is impossible to fight indulging in sugar. If you are not hungry then chances are you will be able to eat in a controlled manner. Never let yourself get too hungry - you won't win. It doesn't happen overnight. A small portioned out bag won't break anyone. It is a vigilant learning practice. If I didn't do this myself I wouldn't have suggested it. I have an Italian ice when I crave sugar. Not everything I eat is because "it is healthy". Sometimes you just want a quick treat! It is also pre-portion controlled.

I rarely eat candy anymore (except the holidays) and not because it is a "bad" food. Its just like anything else once you have permission to have it it loses its luster. I have been the most successful when I don't label foods as "good" or "bad" - just less nutritional value than others. Incidentally, with all of the baking, candy, eating out I did over the holidays I was 2 lbs below what I was at Thanksgiving. I think I know what I am talking about.

I agree with Arwen - when you give up something entirely you feel deprived.
 SunDevil_in_SC
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/8/2012 8:47:07 AM
tothyself: I do agree with you about avoiding "being hungry." I don't think anyone has been noting that. However, in response to this:

A small portioned out bag won't break anyone. It is a vigilant learning practice. If I didn't do this myself I wouldn't have suggested it. I have an Italian ice when I crave sugar. Not everything I eat is because "it is healthy". Sometimes you just want a quick treat! It is also pre-portion controlled.

This is what the OP put in her original post:

I have tried to do portion control (i.e. ok one block of chocolate as opposed to 7) but then I get disgusted for cheating and end up becoming derailed.

I do agree with you that portion control *can* work ... in fact, they noted it in the link I provided. In fact, as the link notes, there is not one way of doing it, and much of it depends on the individual. However, I don't recommend it in a scenario where it is proven that one will cheat, for the reason that the OP noted. Otherwise, all that is going to happen is that the person is going to eat the week's worth of supply on a Sunday afternoon.

Note that most people haven't been saying, "Don't eat sweets," ... what they have been saying is ,"Don't have sweets in the house." When you are prone to cheat, the best way to combat that is to make the effort of getting sweets harder.

It is also why we are stating to try to have fruits and nuts in the house as well. Yes, she noted that it didn't work prior ... but that is no surprise when you have sweets in the house and you possess a sweet tooth. Of course, with all three in the house, when hungry (and prone to cheat), you're going to grab the sweets. Now let's throw in the condition that in order to get the sweets, they'll have to get into the car, drive two miles, get out of the car, find the sweet, go to the cash register to pay for it, and then drive home ... or the other choice is to have fruit or nuts. Now, under that scenario fruits and nuts become more appealing. So, will they beat sweets all of the time? Nah. However, it should cut down on the number of incidents, which is the whole purpose.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/8/2012 10:05:57 AM
You only feel deprived when you can't have something for a period of time. I'm wheat and corn intolerant- that means I'm 'deprived' of a alot of things. Made me want more for a time- until I understood that it just is NOT healthy for me to have it.

Sugar isn't healthy for most of us. Have you noticed the increase of diabetes? Diabetes is not caused by being over weight, excess weight and diabetes are caused by the same problem- elevated levels of insulin, which is a fat storage hormone. Sugar and carbs are what jack up the insulin level. There's no dietary need for sugar (or grains) so it's a matter of training your brain to realise that they're not good for you, so why crave them? Sure- I might indulge once in a while (too much over the holidays), but just craving something sweet doesn't mean I'm going to have it. My body doesn't need it, so the craving isn't rational, and doesn't need to be filled.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/8/2012 10:06:07 AM
SunDevil in SC - are you the forum's puppet? If you don't like what I post then skip it. I posted what worked for me. I didn't "google". Everyone has their own opinion. I disagree that sugar gives you diabetes but I don't have the time to go to the mat on that one. Carry on ... too many "google" doctorates on this thread.

I miss Scott, that weight trainer lady and that Frank person that cut and pasted everyone's quotes in these forums ... glad to see Satx is still around. These people were able to back up their claims with tried and true experience.

Aries_328
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2012 12:03:27 PM

I disagree that sugar gives you diabetes but I don't have the time to go to the mat on that one.

I understand that you wouldn't want to get into a debate about your opinion on that. But, would it be possible to post a link to something that. I beleive the refrence to the over abundance of sugar in everyday diets is what is linked as being a cause for type 2 diabetes only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM The Dr in this video attributes it through the increased cases of obesity and diabetes in six month olds. High Fructose Corn Syrup in baby forumula... I just checked for myself and went to the similac website. They do not list any ingrediants for their products. However someone posted a picture of a label
http://naturalnews.com/images/Similac-Label-Ingredients.jpg

42.6% corn syrup solids. It really is a milk shake!
 Samuel1786
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/8/2012 12:22:34 PM
Cutting excessive sugar out of your diet is so good for you. There are too many easy things out there you can do to improve your overall health, but cutting out excess sugar is right at the top.

Stop drinking soda. Just stop. It ruins your teeth and is full of excess calories. Drink water instead. After a few days, you'll notice that you're always peeing clear-ish, you're getting less headaches, and you feel much healthier.

With that out of the way, it becomes much easier to start exercising. Hell, I'd go out on a limb and guess that a very large percentage of Americans are suffering from Dehydration every day and don't even know it.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/8/2012 1:53:08 PM
This one is for you Aries ... http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: No, it does not. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories, whether from sugar or from fat, can contribute to weight gain. If you have a history of diabetes in your family, eating a healthy meal plan and regular exercise are recommended to manage your weight.

SunDevil_in_SC
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/8/2012 3:01:43 PM

SunDevil in SC - are you the forum's puppet? If you don't like what I post then skip it. I posted what worked for me. I didn't "google". Everyone has their own opinion. I disagree that sugar gives you diabetes but I don't have the time to go to the mat on that one. Carry on ... too many "google" doctorates on this thread.

First, I never got into the diabetes thing and questioning that. The only thing I was questioning was what was keeping sweets in the house, for the reason why I noted in my prior response.

And frankly the only reason why I put up there the WebMD link was for the OP: this thread has given about a half a dozen responses on how to address it, and I just wanted to give the OP reasoning to why they all could be valid. Sometimes it is nice to get a perspective from someone besides message board posters, and it is up to the OP to what she whether she wants to use the information or not.

I miss Scott, that weight trainer lady and that Frank person that cut and pasted everyone's quotes in these forums ... glad to see Satx is still around. These people were able to back up their claims with tried and true experience.

And I can too. I noted as such in my first response to this thread. But, you see, this is the killer of it all: just because something worked on you and me doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to work on the OP. She's going to have to find her own path.

Now as to nutritionist's response to keeping sugar in the house, I would be more than welcome to hear from them if they think that keeping sweets in the house is a good idea for someone who noted that they've cheated with sweets in the past when they have dieted. Frankly, my last response was just to go into the rationale as to why others were recommending keeping sweets out of the house. My apologies to any offense that you took to it.
 SunDevil_in_SC
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/8/2012 3:19:03 PM
OP: Sorry for the double-post, but I thought it would be better to split my response to you into another message. There is one thing that is in agreement here: I am no nutritionist. All I can give is my own experience as well something that I found for your situation that was up your alley. Besides it sounds like you are getting some good advice off to the side, which is very reassuring to know.

Beyond that, from what you posted in your original post, I don't think it is a good idea if you had sweets in your house. Note that I don't really consider this "your" weakness ... admittedly, it is one of the reasons why I only keep specific foods in my house. I just know that *most* of the time, I can have willpower ... but even with the off chances where I give in, I know how discouraging it can be. Frankly, the disappointment in myself giving in was often the reasons why I had fallen off of diets in the past - even though I was good 95% of the time, I would just beat myself up for the 5% that I wasn't. I just don't want to fall into the same trap.

Now I have just changed the "willpower" point to the grocery store per se ... admittedly, there are times when I walk by sweets aisle wanting to get something - but for me it just seems easier to draw the battle line there than having that "willpower" point within my house.

Keep us posted on your progress.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/8/2012 3:20:53 PM
Ok, I see the disconnect. I never said that I buy candy on a regular basis. It usually comes in the form of gifts or if I get a craving which isn't very often. I'll run to CVS and get Necco's Malted Milk Balls. I'll never give them up! I'm sorry that I did not add that. I don't keep it in the house because I really don't eat that much. I used to not keep it in the house because I was afraid I would eat too much. Call me neurotic! Yes, my nutritionist was the one that told me there is no such thing as cheating. If you keep it away from you it becomes a snowball effect.

The diabetes debate wasn't for you. I agree that what works for one does not necessarily work for another. My nutritionist told me she'll eat maybe a piece of chocolate here and there but doesn't really crave it.

I apologize too that I was not clear.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/8/2012 4:35:03 PM
I am a food addict.. and portion control does not work for me.

and at this time of year.. ive had soooo many goodies that my cravings are out of control.

so, I am in the same boat as you right now.

To cut my cravings.. i will go low carb for 3 days.. eggs will be my number one protein source. Just seems when i eat lots of meat, eggs and low glycemic veggies.. my cravings go away... In fact.. when i go into ketosis.. i feel nauseous

But.. i cant stick with low carb because i go brain dead.. lol.. Feels like walking with my boots stuck in the mud. My blood sugar just goes too low.

So after 3 days.. i switch up to a healthy diet.. with fruits and milk and all the other stuff we should eat.. but in a low glycemic way.

But.. like you i will fall off the wagon.. I just accept that. I am wheat intolerant.. and have IBS.. its like the more i try to control.. the more i wanna misbehave. I am so out of control right now too.. My way of reigning myself is to join a Diet Challenge.

My strength is in competition.. I may not be "fat enuff" to win.. but.. i shall try.. lol
 statemachine500
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/8/2012 6:39:15 PM

Ok, I see the disconnect. I never said that I buy candy on a regular basis. It usually comes in the form of gifts or if I get a craving which isn't very often. I'll run to CVS and get Necco's Malted Milk Balls. I'll never give them up! I'm sorry that I did not add that. I don't keep it in the house because I really don't eat that much. I used to not keep it in the house because I was afraid I would eat too much. Call me neurotic! Yes, my nutritionist was the one that told me there is no such thing as cheating. If you keep it away from you it becomes a snowball effect.

The diabetes debate wasn't for you. I agree that what works for one does not necessarily work for another. My nutritionist told me she'll eat maybe a piece of chocolate here and there but doesn't really crave it.

I apologize too that I was not clear.

You are full of it and are doing a huge disservice to those trying to get their diets under control.

And I agree with Aries about going to the mat .....but you really should explain this position.

Have you considered that big biz might not like this realization that sweets and excess carbs are the enemy?
 Belle Requin
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/8/2012 7:01:08 PM
I'm fully aware that lots of *ignorant* health professionals simply say excess calories, and not excess sugar causes diabetes. However, any endocrinologist will tell you that it's the sugar (and carbs) that cause insulin spikes. 'Eating too much' does not cause an insulin spike in the same manner. Insulin is the fat storage hormone. And the body not properly using it's insulin (insulin resistance) is not caused by 'excess calories'. The body doesn't recognize a calorie, and in fact processes fats, carbs, and protein differently. It's basic physiology/biochemistry.

My mother is a diabetic. (As are two of her sisters, my grandmother, and great grandmother- oh, I've got the genetics for it). When she has been hospitalized for an infection in her blood, the hospital served her mashed potatoes, breaded chicken fingers and corn, with a cookie for dessert, and told her the meal was prepared for the 'nutritional needs of a diabetic'. I was ready to strangle the nutritionist. My mother got sicker while eating hospital food, and only turned around after I drove in from 8 hours away, and made her low carb food- chicken salad, mini quiche, nut bread, and some sugar free (sweetened with xylitol) strained yogurt with added protein. What do you know- when her blood sugar was lower, her infection went away. (Bacteria feeds on sugar- they gave her food that raised her blood sugar).

My mother was diabetic by the time she was 30. I'm 30, with perfectly healthy blood sugars- despite easily being 30lbs overweight, and being that size for the last 6 years. I'm sure the ADA will say you still need 60% of your cals from carbs, but keep them 'complex carbs' (which any blood glucose monitor will show, increase your insulin slowly, but for a longer time, so you don't have a spike, you have a prolonged elevated blood glucose level, which for a myriad of reasons, isn't healthy either). My mother never got better following 'conventional' diabetes treatment. So permit me not to trust it, no matter what drivel you find online.
 ToThySelf
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/9/2012 4:41:47 AM
I was asked for a link and I provided it.

I was asked what worked for me and I provided it.

Now you want to attack me because there is a difference of opinion? I didn't attack anyone and let them own their opinion.

Hijacking a thread to jump on a bandwagon is pathetic.

yendor70
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/9/2012 12:17:02 PM
Belle Requin,
I recently read a book about carbohydrate addiction that basically agrees with what you have stated. I've had strong sugar cravings and like the authors noted willpower diets alone will never work long term because it is a brain chemistry problem. High carbohydrate foods and sugars trigger excess amounts of insulin too quickly from the pancreas and then the blood sugar gets pulled out of the blood too quickly. When the blood sugar drops so quickly, lethargy and cravings to eat more sugars occur within around 2 hours keeping the cycle going. When we are young our bodies are still developing and the muscles and organs will usually accept the increased levels of insulin. As we age though the body typically needs less and so insulin resistance begins. When the insulin is denied moving blood sugars into the bodies muscles,etc. it tries to release more insulin at first to overcome the bodies resistance. Ultimately it ends up storing the excess blood sugar as tryglyceride fats in the liver and storing fat cells. If a person gains too much weight the fat cells will even reject the extra insulin at a certain point and the blood sugar stays in the blood stream leading to all kinds of health problems.
Also the authors noted that when there is too much insulin in the blood it inhibits the natural fat burner glucagon which is normally in the pancreas as well.

The authors of this book have a program where they advise you to eat 2 carb reducing meals per day (basically high protein and lots of vegetables,etc.) and one reward meal per day ( your choice of breakfast, lunch or dinner). Your reward meal can have sugar but you have to divide your plate equally in thirds between a vegetable such as salad, carb-reducing food such as protein, and then your carb or sugar item of choice. If you are still hungry after eating the one plate you can go back for seconds or more but you must keep the ratio similar each time. Therefore you just can't go back and get another slice of cake only haha. You have to get the protein and salad as well. You also have to eat your reward meal within one hour (something to do with metabolism I think).

For me personally my cravings for sweets go down significantly when I eat more proteins and lower carb foods so I think their logic makes sense.
 BettyMcFattttyPants
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/9/2012 12:46:18 PM
satx78218--I thought soy milk was supposed to be good for women?
I know cereal has carbs & sugar, but
1. I can't do Atkins while my vegetarian son is staying with me. Just respecting his views. Once he moves to NY next month, tho, I am soo cooking myself a steak.
2. It's boring Special-K. I thought that cereal was fairly healthy? Normally I would be eating a bowl of Fruity Pebbles.

SunDevil_in_SC--Thanks for posting that link from WebMD about reducing sugar cravings. It's a site I've never even visited before. You're a doll & no, that other post or your post didn't offend me. Actually. No posts offend me lol

ToThySelf--No, Sundevil isn't my puppet, but we did both stay home at NYE with our cats, so maybe he is just being nice :P . He appeared to just be debating you. I appreciate your input. I didn't want to just Google everything-I wanted actual peoples' personal experiences, wisdom, and recomendations. I wish I had your willpower regarding the eating sweets in moderation. I have tried that, as mentioned before. Maybe some day that will work for, once I get the sugar jones off my back.

I appreciate everyones' posts in here, even if I haven't named you each personally. It helps me see I am not alone, and that so many of you are also trying or have succeeded in maintaining a healthy lifestyle & weight.

I really admire those of you who have just always maintained a healthy body. I curse myself for having gotten into this delema, but with all of the advice and ancedotes that have been posted in this thread, I'd be a fool not to take advantage of it.

I may post monthly tallies on my profile as the weight comes off. I hope those of you who are also battling the bulge continue to do well.

Thanks again!

DL0607
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/9/2012 11:31:21 PM
The longer you go without eating sugar, the less you want it. That's not to say it's easy at first but after I stopped eating sugary stuff for about 2 months...I didn't crave it anymore and its rarely tempting to me.

Just give it time.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How can I reduce sugar cravings?