Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How can I reduce sugar cravings?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 statemachine500
Msg: 51
How can I reduce sugar cravings?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
If I mistakenly get sugar in my coffee at a drive thru it tastes terrible to me now.
 statemachine500
Msg: 52
How can I reduce sugar cravings?
Posted: 1/11/2012 6:06:24 PM
{quote] OP, there is some good and not-so-good advice here, but when I read your post about your vegetarian son staying with you I about had a stroke. You are denying yourself excellent sources of protein and fat from real food so as not to offend him? In the process I can guarantee you are making your sugar cravings worse. You don't have to shove steak down his throat, but you should certainly be free to eat what is healthy for you.

As for what is healthy (and I am a reformed sugar/grain addict) I strongly recommend you look into the Paleolithic diet. As many have said here, grains and sugar make your cravings worse and the cycle continues. Protein and fat are good for you. Humans need them to function at their best. You don't have to make huge changes all at once. Start with eating protein and fat at each meal. Slowly increase the vegetables and slowly decrease breads and sugary sweets. And, if you possibly can, exercise. Depending on how sedentary you are, this may simply mean walking. At some point you could perhaps do something more intense, my personal favourite being CrossFit.

I got my best results from doing a strict 30-day trial of grain, processed sugar and dairy free, from which I was able to figure out that all of my fibromyalgia symptoms were diet-related and that I am a much stronger and happier person when I don't eat all that processed junk. I now use some dairy, some sugar, but rarely grain and I am in the best shape of my life. I have neve felt better. It was hard for about two weeks, but well worth it. Please believe me that your cravings will stop if you stop the cycle.

Paleo is natural.Glad you feel so much better.Hopefully some will listen.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/19/2012 10:06:29 PM
Hi Op, the reason I got off of sugar is because I was educating myself about candida overgrowth at the same time a dear friend was dx'd w/ Cancer. I resolved to learn as much as I could about cancer, and she was equally committed. One of the most important things we found out was that cancer absolutely thrives on sugar. In fact, when she'd go in, before her chemo treatments she told me they would have candy for her to eat because the sugar would cause the cancer cells to open more to the chemo. In any case, I decided sugar was poison with her life hanging in the balance the way that it was. We kicked it together. We replaced it with natural low glycemic sweeteners, Stevia, Xylitol and lo huan (spelling?) being the top three. I prefer xylitol, it's good against tooth decay and tastes the closest to sugar in my opinion. If I buy premade baked goods, I get them fruit juice sweetened. I avoid high fructose corn syrup as much as sugar (it's hepatotoxic). There is no way I would ever use aspartame, sweet and low, equal or any of thise excitotoxin crap sweeteners. Anyways, maybe realizing the connection bw cancer and sugar might help. Also, there is a book called king sugar about the plantation economy and slave trade around sugar that also might help motivate you to kick it to the curb. Good luck OP
edit-also change cow's milk to rice milk, sweetened w/ brown rice syrub, bc lactose in the milk is a sugar and works on the brains receptors thus will keep you craving sugar
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2013 2:22:50 AM
Eliminate sugar in all forms and foods that turn to sugar for 3 weeks.
Not even a whittle of brown rice syrup/rice/all grains.

Your taste will change back to what it was meant to be.

Sugar is killing us .

Just because people look average to fit does not mean healthy.
Slim/average people are damaging organs with the wrong/ bad foods.SUGARs

Sugar/foods that act as sugars takes a devastating toll on your health. Sugar consumption ( in many forms) from my research is the largest factor regarding obesity, inflammation and disease in America

The burden of sugar metabolism falls on your liver, where excess sugar is quickly converted into fat, which explains the weight gain and abdominal obesity so rampant.
SUGAR is the primary cause of non-alcoholic fatty liver and elevates uric acid, which raises your blood pressure, stresses your kidneys, and leads to the chronic inflammation that is at the cause of most chronic diseases metabolically speaking.

Sugar is acidic/inflammatory to your body and is aging us from the inside out.
 oldie_but_hottie
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2013 9:25:26 AM
Sugar/sweet cravings can also be symptom of being hypoglycemic, i.e. your body blood sugar level is too low and it tells you to replenish glucose. This is a symptom of unmanaged diabetes along with your rapid changes of weight. I suggest you go to your doctor and have a fasting glucose test and maybe even an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) to make sure your cravings are just that and not something more serious.
 ChocolateSugarRush
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/29/2013 9:36:26 PM
Op about two to three years ago I was over 200 bls. I'm 148 now. Don't go cold turkey on the sweets you're just going to set yourself up for failure. Instead of eating three or four cookies eat one. Once a week. Most sweets give me heartburn but I still eat them in moderation. Frankly, most of the food I eat gives me heartburn and gas. That stuff hurt so I get turned off from eating sometimes. Anyway, the key is moderation and doing some dancing. Dancing help you forget that you're exercising. I get a good sweat in about three times a week. You don't have to rush to get your weight off either. To hell with what people say.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2013 3:44:58 AM
Found fruit to handle sugar lows very well.

Cold turkey worked for me and many others.

When you continue to have a nibble every day it takes much longer.
I agree dancing ( moving) is great for cravings and even just music/painting , aromatherapy and meditation/yoga makes you release the " feel good" chemicals in your brain.

I was over 200 bls. I'm 148 now.

I was about that then went to 125 in 11 months w no exercise other than walking and kept if off 12/13 years even lost 7 more last 13 months not meaning to from exercise and backing off some dairy ( cheese) and no more "OMG I get little Debbies" because its Saturday anymore. I just dont get the thrill of it anymore.

Feeling good in your body/about your body and being able to move is so much more rewarding than a temp high from sugar that needs to be HIT again in 2/3 hours

But I have been the addict, I still cant keep a tub of ice-ream or cake in the freezer.
I wont

Never want to or will go back there again.

First to OP..It s not your fault, its an addiction.
But you do need to be the one to fix it.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2013 12:55:49 PM
Sugar cravings is an addiction or you wouldn't crave it in almost every single case.

Some drugs do affect sugar cravings/blood sugar balance and even have caused diabetes( lipitor and zyprexa to name 2) and there are a few other reasons, even low serotonin/stress but the main cause is addiction.

Sugar isn't a scapegoat as it is poising our country and it IS mainly due to sugar/foods that act like sugar on our metabolism.

I don't think wallowing in self pity saying "Its not my fault" was what I said and certainly not what I meant.
No more than an alcoholic/other addiction, they have to want to stop.

I stopped but can't be arrogant and think it's not more difficult for others.
 statemachine500
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/30/2013 6:38:53 PM

One piece of chocolate isn't going to damage you

Ruins your insulin sensitivity.Insulin sensitivity must be improved for you to succeed.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2013 1:43:37 AM

Mainly, because we associate it in our brains with being rewarded.

^^^^^That is addiction
Calories are not created equal, calories from a can of sugary soda are not the same as those that come from eating a bag of almonds. That's because "sugar calories" affect the body differently.

The brain is programmed to become dependent on sugar, wanting more and more of it over time. That excess sugar can lead to diabetes, obesity, heart disease and a host of other illnesses inc cancer

Can you really back up the statement that sugar is a poison?

Not a poison like DEET or flea control chemically but poisonous to our health non the less on our bodies/to our health.
Could be slow acting for some or damage quickly depending.

I enjoyed a lot of Lustigs way of putting it for the layman and you can read his book.

Companies sneak it in deli meats and canned veggies, dressings to make us want their brand over another

Most peoples fav condiments/ deli meat/breads will have more sugar in most cases .

Ill stop on Lustig for now and give another great example

Why Sugar Is Toxic To The Body

In 1957, Dr. William Coda Martin tried to answer the question: When is a food a food and when is it a poison? His working definition of "poison" was: "Medically: Any substance applied to the body, ingested or developed within the body, which causes or may cause disease.

Physically: Any substance which inhibits the activity of a catalyst which is a minor substance, chemical or enzyme that activates a reaction."1 The dictionary gives an even broader definition for "poison": "to exert a harmful influence on, or to pervert".

Refined Sugar

Dr. Martin classified refined sugar as a poison because it has been depleted of its life forces, vitamins and minerals. "What is left consists of pure, refined carbohydrates. The body cannot utilize this refined starch and carbohydrate unless the depleted proteins, vitamins and minerals are present. Nature supplies these elements in each plant in quantities sufficient to metabolize the carbohydrate in that particular plant. There is no excess for other added carbohydrates. Incomplete carbohydrate metabolism results in the formation of 'toxic metabolite' such as pyruvic acid and abnormal sugars containing five carbon atoms. Pyruvic acid accumulates in the brain and nervous system and the abnormal sugars in the red blood cells.

These toxic metabolites interfere with the respiration of the cells. They cannot get sufficient oxygen to survive and function normally. In time, some of the cells die. This interferes with the function of a part of the body and is the beginning of degenerative disease."2

Refined sugar is lethal when ingested by humans because it provides only that which nutritionists describe as "empty" or "naked" calories. It lacks the natural minerals which are present in the sugar beet or cane.

>>>>>>>>In addition, sugar is worse than nothing because it drains and leaches the body of precious vitamins and minerals through the demand its digestion, detoxification and elimination makes upon one's entire system. So essential is balance to our bodies that we have many ways to provide against the sudden shock of a heavy intake of sugar. Minerals such as sodium (from salt), potassium and magnesium (from vegetables), and calcium (from the bones) are mobilized and used in chemical transmutation; neutral acids are produced which attempt to return the acid-alkaline balance factor of the blood to a more normal state.

Sugar taken every day produces a continuously>> overacidic condition, and more and more minerals are required from deep in the body in the attempt to rectify the imbalance. Finally, in order to protect the blood, so much calcium is taken from the bones and teeth that decay and general weakening begin.

Excess sugar eventually affects EVERY organ in the body. Initially, it is stored in the liver in the form of glucose (glycogen). Since the liver's capacity is limited, a daily intake of refined sugar (above the required amount of natural sugar) soon makes the liver expand like a balloon. When the liver is filled to its maximum capacity, the excess glycogen is returned to the blood in the form of fatty acids. These are taken to every part of the body and stored in the most inactive areas: the belly, the buttocks, the breasts and the thighs.

When these comparatively harmless places are completely filled, fatty acids are then distributed among active organs, such as the heart and kidneys. These begin to slow down; finally their tissues degenerate and turn to fat.

The whole body is affected by their reduced ability, and abnormal blood pressure is created. The parasympathetic nervous system is affected; and organs governed by it, such as the small brain, become inactive or paralyzed. (Normal brain function is rarely thought of as being as biologic as digestion.)

The circulatory and lymphatic systems are invaded, and the quality of the red corpuscles starts to change. An overabundance of white cells occurs, and the creation of tissue becomes slower. Our body's tolerance and immunizing power becomes more limited, so we cannot respond properly to extreme attacks, whether they be cold, heat, mosquitoes or microbes.

Excessive sugar has a strong mal-effect on the functioning of the brain. The key to orderly brain function is glutamic acid, a vital compound found in many vegetables. The B vitamins play a major role in dividing glutamic acid into antagonistic-complementary compounds which produce a "proceed" or "control" response in the brain. B vitamins are also manufactured by symbiotic bacteria which live in our intestines. When refined sugar is taken daily, these bacteria wither and die, and our stock of B vitamins gets very low. Too much sugar makes one sleepy; our ability to calculate and remember is lost.

Other recommended reading The sugar blues
The blood sugar solution
Fat chance
Acid/Alkaline
Your health your choice

Poison:A substance that, when introduced into or absorbed by a living organism, causes death or INJURY.

Toxin:A poisonous substance

I never meant to imply YOU were arrogant as I was referring to myself esp using the term I . I WAS somewhat arrogant at times.
" I did it and if you can't then blah blah"

Oh, and... I've seen people withdrawing from heroin. Nobody is going to convince me that denying oneself a cupcake is on par with going through opioid withdrawal

We aren't talking one cupcake a month here, we are talking about continuous consumption that equals often or continuous cravings some more extreme than others

I was sick in bed 2 weeks coming off all sugar/diet sodas and processed foods all at the same time.
You weren't there and I was very ill.
No I didn't have a seizure but was it is akin to kicking other addictions.

I did not say opiates, but other than seizures or a heart stopping I doubt I could have been much more ill than I was.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/31/2013 9:08:13 AM

Over-consumption of sugar leads to many diseases, but over-consumption of everything is bad.

True, as gluttony , over eating, even healthy food is not good in excess. Glucose [sugar] is what give the body energy to function. But not needed in excess.

But I believe if somebody wants to succeed, they'll find the way, and if they want to fail, they'll find an excuse. It's all in the mind.

Yes, sometimes that what it takes and for some,or they succumb to their addictions & excuses in why they continue their dangerous lifestyles.
imo, for many of those those parents who keep pushing & rewarding their children with constant treats,etc they unknowingly were passing on this dangerous tradition. Lets hope in future generations this also will change for the better in health with knowledge.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2013 12:36:10 PM

, for many of those those parents who keep pushing & rewarding their children with constant treats,etc they unknowingly were passing on this dangerous tradition. Lets hope in future generations this also will change for the better in health with knowledge

^^^^^^^

I think we all agree that's where it has to start.
In the home with nutritionally educated parents.

I remember Nestlies quik ( sp?) ALL the time when I was really young and Pops bringing home wax coke bottles full of sugar water and pixie sticks for me to find in his coat pockets until mom told him I was getting a pudge.

Boy, does that ages me!!!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2013 3:31:53 AM
^^^^^^
Enjoy discussions with you also very much and understand the time issues myself.
Thanks

The links are about high fructose corn syrup not being as "bad as people want us to believe" and not sugar cravings or dangers of sugar addictions/sugar causing diseases.
(The second I could read and the first I cant receive the sound on but is also about HFCS)

Hmmmm, Is the corn industry up to something? Aren't they making money from alternate fuel these days?

I won't vilify HFCS anymore than white/brown sugar as far as disease or addictions but many will sit and debate it all day long.

Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 4:08:29 AM
^^^^^^^^^^Hello goodnames!!

Have read the first link so far ( Dr Attia)
And second to last and enjoyed the reads

Very interesting/informative but I guess I view toxic as a term a bit differently.

He ( Attia) does state very interesting points but he is reasonable about sugar consumption by stating
"(I eat no more than about 5 gm of sugar per day)"

People that crave sugar (and many do) starting with that "bad breakfast" If they have breakfast at all consume much more and they don't count what they don't know/recognize as sugar .

The last on calories I liked he stated the question is worded wrong" Do calories matter? SHOULD BE
"What is the impact of the calories I consume on my body’s ability to store fat versus burn fat?”

Glad you have come in the thread goodnames!!!

Have had a recent client * sugar/sugar acting addictions* issues that has a lot of difficulties with understanding about ( what calories count the most/getting enough( so no starvation).

She only half applied my program I spent days with her on the last consult.
I really got on her yesterday and just asked.
"If you were undergoing treatment for cancer with chemo would you only do half?"

I am at a loss sometimes with how to word things with her and now have her on a semi Atkins quick start. Gave her the amount to eat of what and how often to eat counting only the cals ( she gets THAT word) is sugar calories ( fruit/starch and her limit for 2 weeks.

At 155 and 5'1 she needs more than 600-800 a day total and as its very hard to calculate exacting cals. I got enough info to see she is in "starvation mode" so far.( IMO)

She went over what she ate for 3 days with me and instead of 80 % or more of her food/fuel coming from protein/good fats/some trans fats and green /low glycemic veggies.
2o% or less from black /red beans and fruits as directed

I found her calorie consumption close to starving ( breakfast snack and lunch so far that day totaled aprox 270 and half is sugar calories/starch calories from a bit of fruit and beans.( again a calculated approximation)

Note: She works out every morning.3 days on 1/4 an apple

The other days she never went over ( again hard to calculate) but I approximate 600-800 calories and not even half was protein and fats

Her protein for breakfast and lunch on ave was 1 egg and a skinless chicken "strip"( very little chicken) Maybe 130 cals for both and cauliflower.
She at least did a bit of coconut oil,which we had to melt add cocoa powder and a bit of stevia then freeze to make it taste like a treat.
The rest was a bit of fruit and beans

Ill read all the links after my class today and possibly show her this afternoon and add some I like as she will not read a book.( TIME ISSUES)
Shes not ignorant as she has a masters degree and a retired teacher.

So I fault MY explanations as half of the problem no matter how hard I have tried.
Even drew a plate and what should be on it for each meal and what ideal portions of what should be on each one and snacks.

I may have to move in a few days it seems.

I'm not great at googling and sure dont want her to.She will stumble upon "coffee bean extract type" things like she did last time.

We have another consult late today and I will supervise ( watch) her prepare dinner in her home and see what she prepares.
Then go from there AGAIN.
SIGHS
 satx78218
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 8:42:06 AM
How does a normal person, not Attia, know one consumes 0.17637 ounces of sugar/day?

Attia's site looks great, but I'm so jaded and whipsawed by nutritional and medical "info" where"this is good/bad" today becomes "this is bad/good" in a few months.

What is beyond discussion and doubt is that BigFood/BigAg/BigChem/FDA/USDA have totally corrupted USA's food system, just as BigPharma and similar ilk have totally corrupted the medical profession.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/2/2013 5:32:53 PM

I remember Nestles quik ( sp?) ALL the time when I was really young and Pops bringing home wax coke bottles full of sugar water and pixie sticks for me to find in his coat pockets until mom told him I was getting a pudge.

Boy, does that ages me!!!

But as least now it made you think that there might be something more then getting all that wax between your teeth. ^^^^
My father worked at Williamson Candy Company which made the "OH Henry Candy Bar", talk about treats then...

Yet we were all skinny then regardless as kids. As mom did not ever serve us anything with fat on it as in:[meat,chicken pork, etc] or did not deep fry anything in the house when she cooked. We did have sugar in the house for treats occasionally, but our activity burned it all off for energy.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 6:03:22 PM

My father worked at Williamson Candy Company which made the "OH Henry Candy Bar", talk about treats then...

Oh boy I can imagine. OH HENRY ( Hank Aaron right?) Yes and the Zero bar.
That was weird looking but still good to me as a kid.
 satx78218
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2013 11:50:40 AM
report this week: non diabetics with high glucose at elevated risk for Alzheimers

How can sugar hurt me? Let me count ways.

Sugar sickens and kills more people than marijuana

( Does the DEA monitor POF to give leads to your local SWAT monsters? )
 or_current_resident
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/8/2013 4:23:02 PM

Sugar sickens and kills more people than marijuana

But won't using Mary jane instead ,will give you the muchies[aka sugar] to eat even more? lol You guys are a hoot!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2013 5:39:42 PM
Who has died from just reg old marijuana not laced with something?
Just curious, not being an ass

I will say I do think sugar kills more Americans than cigs. BUT NOT defending cigs here..OK?

http://olsonnd.com/what-kills-more-people-sugar-or-cigarettes/

I know everyone loves a link
 bamagrl68
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/10/2013 12:58:57 PM
bettymcfattypants- Your first step should be to see your doctor for a physical and blood tests.
You could be a type 2 diabetic and not know it.
They can find out what your cholesterol levels are and find things that may explain your symptoms and weight issues.
Are you depressed? I'm not just being nosy, depression causes sugar cravings. Consider asking your doctor for a trial period on an antidepressant.
Also, you have to be proactive and educate yourself on the sugar content of ALL foods, the more sugar you eat, the more you crave. Some fruits are very high in natural sugar content. Do an online search, there are lots of resources for answers.
Last, if you know you can't resist surgery foods, don't have them in your home. I lost ten pounds just by giving up soda.
I don't buy foods that I can't resist.
I wish I could tell you there's some magic pill or diet, but there is no such thing.
The only way to lose weight is to learn portion control and to exercise. That is the secret to loose weight and keep it off.
You may never be thin and that's ok, the key is to get to a healthy weight for you, you will look and feel better.
I've been there, done it, I lost 25 pounds in the last year, you can do it too. Good luck :)
 statemachine500
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/10/2013 6:40:49 PM
^^^^^Plain and simple.Good for you losing that weight,
 bamagrl68
Msg: 73
Posted: 8/15/2013 5:24:24 PM
statemachine500- Thank You! It was hard, let me tell you. I swear my metabolism left when I hit my 30's. The wake up call for me was when I went to the doctor and saw a number on the scale that I hadn't seen even when I was big and pregnant. I was having headaches, my blood pressure was too high.
I just put on the brakes and said , no more.
I started with giving up the soda, after that I put reasonable portions on my plate and took a sip of water after every bite of food, I take my time eating and stop when I'm full. I do not eat after 8pm. My apartment has a pool and I swim as often as I can.
The really amazing thing: the more I loose, the more I'm motivated to keep going. Last doctors visit, I had lost four more pounds. Yeah me :D
 statemachine500
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/15/2013 7:26:24 PM
Slow and steady wins the race.I swam every day in the summer as a youth for hours,lived on an island for about five years.Loved the backstroke.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2013 3:25:19 AM
Bama keep t up.

Getting back in shape or in shape in your 40s is very important.

Your metabolism and cravings will change for the better.Many start with one thing then another instead of cold turkey going off all thats not good for your particular issues.

It wasn't my way.(I guess I had it worse as far as the addiction) back in 2000 ish

No small portions even because it just triggered another then another craving for more.

I can say now I can have a piece of key lime pie a couple of times a month IF I want it. Since my body is so used to NO key lime pie it can make me feel sick..if its to much using a reg recipe.

I found many recipes that use no flour, condensed milk ect ( reg flour) sugar or trans fats that I enjoy more than I ever enjoyed the unhealthy versions..

Good for you!!!

There's a great brownie/choc cake and even a "faux dark chocolate candy" recipe .Almond/coconut flour for the brownies/cake and coconut oil/stevia/unsweet dark cocoa powder..Its nice to have it cut into little squares with afternoon decaf.No guilt at all and sometimes I add cayenne or ginger
Freeze/refrig and it lasts longer.

I never could drink water between bites or with meals as it took the taste of the food out of my mouth , but if that helps you keep it up.
Lime/lemon water and teas are great also with no sugar.
A small apple or serving of fruit before a meal helps me also keep the blood sugar regulated .
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How can I reduce sugar cravings?