Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > online dating: pay sites vs free sites      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ohenryx
Msg: 23
view profile
History
online dating: pay sites vs free sitesPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

bLondeDeviL:
she's onto something...
AND this really was a friend, I swear on all of my cat's lives...she said alot of the men in AFF have profiles in the regular sites as well...and they had their pics up in AFF too I mean their face

Yeah, right, now tell me the one about the tooth fairy..... (smile)

Actually, I have accounts on several sexually oriented sites just for the express purpose of identifying those women who have profiles here and there. Almost never a face picture, but believe it or not, they tend to use exactly the same nom de plume.
 Solitairesway
Msg: 24
view profile
History
online dating: pay sites vs free sites
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:58:55 PM
I have been on several dating sites throughout the years & have mostly great responses & dates. I do enjoy being on POF, but don't puit more into the situations, than what they are worth. I do enjoy the forums & find them extremely insightful. Can't exactly remember if I have dated anyone positive off of this site, but I am okay with that. It's not as though I am not dating @ all. Just seem to becoming more selective, (as usual) when it comes to picking someone for a long term situation.
I have definitely learned alot through my experiences of online dating. I enjoy reading others profiles & views on subjects. So it is not a complete waste of my time. I think that we are all hesitant on what it is we are seeking @ times, when someone we think has a genuine interest in us. I definitely do.

infennario
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:26:33 PM

Almost never a face picture, but believe it or not, they tend to use exactly the same nom de plume.

So there ya go! You figure out standards and intelligence in fell swoop.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:22:20 PM

Almost never a face picture, but believe it or not, they tend to use exactly the same nom de plume.

well if there is one w/ my name there I hope she has great t!ts & a$$
 CallmeKen
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:34:33 AM
Msg 4:

since they don't allow gay people or separated people (and who knows who else) amongst them, that means that they limit the guys to BEING religious types

Religious people can't separate? Athiests can't get married at the courthouse? I'm Catholic; my ex-wife has remarried. Am I supposed to gather the village and have her stoned to death?

Anywho, the OP has peaked my scientific interest. (She blinded me with science!) I will join M*tch and stay here. I'll see which site gives me more dates. Since I'm an average-looking guy, I would expect that a pay site would give me more dates. My theory is that women are more likely to give me a chance if they're paying a subscription fee. Women on the free sites might be more likely to wait for that "perfect" guy, since waiting for them is free.

I'll let you know the results.
 stovo82
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/23/2012 8:30:20 AM
females being the commodity in high demand but limited supply have it much easier on dating sites than males.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/23/2012 11:35:37 AM
I was on Match, it was a waste of money. I paid for 1 month, for $20 to try it. When I wanted to renew, that was my renewal price. I wasn't going to pay that every month. I didn't know that when I signed up, I thought they would be more flexible. They wouldn't give me the option to purchase 3 or 6 months, at a cheaper rate, so they lost me as a customer. I also had ppl from work passing me in the hallways & letting me know they saw me on there, great.
I've never been on EHarmoney but I know you have no choice, they pick for you. I don't like that, as they don't know who I'm going to be attracted to physically.
If I meet someone on here, fantastic, but I'm not counting on it. I made a good female friend on here & I'm going to travel to Calif next year to meet her.
I go on a dating site, I don't get 1 date from it, but I make a new friend. And that's ok.
 That_girl*
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/23/2012 12:36:37 PM
Personally i see no difference whether it be a paid site or free site,,whether it be a social site for dating friendships relationships hookups or just sex or all in 1..

all the same types of people will be on there..you will still have the married/attached liars an cheaters,,they seem to be taking over all the sites its like a growing infestation

there will still be the types looking for any random hole to put their penis in AND even if there is an option for hookup or encounter still most of the women want some kind of conversation an respect first an fore most,,most arent going to be like ok heres my address come over climb on top do your business an leave..and you dam sure wont even get away with that at a strip club or with a high class prostitute you still have to show some kind of respect to the lady before anything goes down..so i dont know why some guys think that oh look heres my penis give me sex now>> will win them the game..FAIL..

anyhow an then there will be the violent hostile types pretending to be a nice guy an the ones who are just looking for a free ride the ones who just got out of jail/prison or still in jail/prison looking for "luv" an then the overly religious types who think that 1 puff off a cigarette an drink of wine along with saying the word holy s hit and you are forever doomed to the gates of hell and the ones who think a woman should be seen but not heard or is it both not seen an not heard only when needed.

an the ones who are just there to be there an the then the few who are actually looking for a mate a match a date a woman a real relationship to find a wife or girlfriend..

but good luck finding thoses types because you have to go on mystical magical dangerous journeys threw all the rest of the traps an hidden mazes an swamps of frogs an gators an snakes until maybe you find 1 or even 2 of the rare ones who are actually for real..

so all in all like ive heard a few posters say you can either stay on free sites an get lied to for free or end up spending money just to get lied too anyways..an i personally dont want to pay just to have somebody lie to me an take me down a dead road of regret an worry when i can get all that fun stuff for free in this awesome package deal of this thing they call life..
 brisco414
Msg: 31
Posted: 9/23/2012 12:40:28 PM
I've seen the same people here that are also Match. This is free. I have entertained the idea of trying Spark but just don't want to fork over the money, probably not any different.
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/23/2012 12:54:19 PM
I've tried many paid and unpaid sites and Craygslist (quickly stayed away from that!) and I've seen many of the same people on all the same sites. I've also seen some creeps from Craygslist on EHarmoney, which supposedly is for more "serious" singles looking for a real realstionship.

There is no "real relationship" site out there. The players, dregs, users and liars populate every single site, as long as there is a chance they can get laid.

I've even read about highly paid matchmakers setting women up with men who were bottom feeders.

There is no quality control anywhere.
 abmccray
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2012 7:29:18 AM
I've got lots of good dates, some relationships and friends off of Match over the years. OKC, I've had some; not as many as Match, however. Wouldn't even really consider using this site for dating.

While there are "shared users" between the three, the shared users between this site and Match, for instance, tend to be the people who don't want to pay for Match but still want to do online dating, which typically balances out to "people with less disposable income." For women, that's often a lot of single moms with dead end jobs, which I'm not interested in. Most of the women I've gone out with on Match haven't even heard of this site, meaning that match (and Eharmony) do better at advertising amongst professionals.
 jblack2000
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/24/2012 5:40:18 PM
Match (and O K Cupid somewhat) cater to a different demographic than POF

you're a hardcore atheist/agnostic, OkC is right for you

if you're very religious, a pay site such as Eharmony/Christian Mingle may be right for you

POF has a low barrier to entry, and more people you can contact than those other sites combined.

However, it is quanity over quality
 Lionesse19
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/24/2012 6:10:30 PM
procolharem

Many women know that separated men are often just not getting it at home, living largely separate lives for financial reasons etc and live under the one roof. I think that they are using an excuse not to see you, is all.
 atlas_stone
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/24/2012 2:53:30 PM
I actually know friends who got married off match.
None that I know of from here.
 marilynh77
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/24/2012 9:36:07 PM
Wow! I'm so new to online dating it's interesting.
I met more nice men on pof than Match.com, except for one idiot. Should have known better for he was far in the country and was "seperated". Never will I date a man that is seperated or got divorce recently for they aren't ready to date or in the idiot's case, he was a cheater, lier and control freak.
I happened to like pof and men on this site are pretty cool.
 Truth556
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/24/2012 10:36:09 PM
Match is full of snobby money grubbers
 Iamhereonthissite
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/25/2012 6:45:48 AM

I've seen many of the same people on all the same sites

Same here, and I've emailed those people, only to not get a response. Chances are they'll be single forever, unless they leave the site and try other off-line venues.
 NVcollegeguy
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/25/2012 6:18:22 PM
It seems like the pay sites are more effective, I've at least got dates on match.com on this site you're lucky to get a conversation that last 4 messages.
 GeekyCrazyButCool
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/26/2012 12:08:45 AM
Nothing beats free because at the end of the day you haven't lost anything at all :)
 RiversMeeting83
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/26/2012 3:28:00 AM
I think no matter which site you are on there are people of all warps of life with different expectations and motives. You just need to be careful and weed out those without genuine intentions which isn't easy.
 Acehonestlady
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2012 7:05:20 AM
I have used 6 or 7 sites. Match I find to be the best. Thankfully I have not had the experience on Match that you have. I have not come by one man that wanted me to see his webcam on there but have lots on here and a few on another free site.

I am maybe lucky in that I see paying as seeing my glass half full rather than half empty. (sorry for cliché, hate it but it is useful here). This is maybe as I had been 2 dating sites before I found out there are free ones. I then tried the free ones and found them so bad that I repaid on Match when given an offer. The first site I was on and paid for in order to send tow fit men messages was a sugar daddie type that I looked at for a laugh. I didn’t like the men even if I was looking to be taken out. Match (as well as having twats) has lots of decent men that are happy to offer me what I want but without them being bottomholes.

Perhaps I would feel differently if I was looking for Mr Right but that is not what I am looking for.

I am currently paying £6.50 a month for 6 months on Match(a deal as I have been on and off for a while). There are losers on there than can afford to pay but I either put them off with my profile or I ignore them. I have met a lot of nice men on Match even if not all romantically. The free websites are awful. I have met one nice man on here but only as a friend of his Transvestite self. The other 3 from here that I met were chavs (as many on here appear to be). Most I will never meet as they are simply not worth the time.
Pay sites keep a lot of uncultured chavs away so for those of us that want to avoid chavs a pay site helps somewhat if not completely.

Guardian Soulmates has lots of intelligent sounding men (and women but) as I am not paying I cannot reply to them other than via the set responses. I put a clue in my profile to lead them here. That site seems to show only ‘very’ attractive women on it’s front page example photos so my ‘reasonably’ attractive gets lost! I get very few men though look at my page on there so it is not worth my paying for even if it seems to have a higher proportion of intelligent sounding men that Match and far, far higher than the freebies.

I use different sites for different reasons. This site is Not for meeting it’s existing members!! This is for forums and as a place for men I have poached from pay-sites I am not paying on to message me so I can reply to them!

There are bottomholes with money and decent men that cannot afford, or don’t want to pay. But Pay sites do cut out a lot of the work, at least that has been my experience apart from the sugardaddie type.

Good luck in your search.
 OutMind
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/26/2012 7:17:23 AM
In the past I had better results with Match, because since the woman had to pay, they took it more seriously. I only use POF for the forums. Yet the funny thing is that a while back I texted ONE girl here. One. She responded about two weeks later. We set up a date, and had to postpone it. Then we had our date. It went well, even though she told me last night that she didn't think that I was going to ask her out again. We are still going out. So it turned out that the keeper was the one from POF. Go figure.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/26/2012 1:56:20 PM
I've never tried a pay site. The only other site I've tried is OKC. I prefer OKC for meeting people and POF for the forums. I really like that OKC has questions for people to answer, and you can choose how you'd prefer your mate to answer and give it a level of importance so that it can try to come up with a "Match %" and "Enemy %". Surely people can lie on those questions, but my experience has been that they have helped me out a LOT since many of those questions are very important to me. I've even seen a couple of people on both POF and OKC, whom I'd been somewhat interested in when seen on POF, but then read their answers to a few of those questions on OKC and realized they were definitely wrong, wrong, wrong for me.
 grove_22
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/26/2012 7:36:27 PM
I don't think any dating site is perfect. You can find flakes, jerks, liars, cheaters etc on any dating site. Having said that, I have been on both Match and POF. I had more success on Match in terms of getting emails and dates.
 sexandthepof
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2012 10:23:58 PM
LOL... GeekyCrazyButCool is so right.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > online dating: pay sites vs free sites