Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Revenge an eye for an eye?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 126
Revenge an eye for an eye?Page 6 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I dont know if you would consider this revenge but my 1st ex husband is just an out right horrible person. I shaved the chocolate exlax into his ice cream, rubbed his toothbrush in the toilet, took the hard part of the end of the shoe lace off and frayed the edges and took the lace out a few notches (took him at least 15 minutes threw his shoe against the wall a few times) spit in his coffee, put rubbing alcohol on the bowl of his bong I cant really remember all of em. But ya 25 years later and hes getting out of prison in March ...
 Viper1E
Msg: 127
Revenge an eye for an eye?
Posted: 1/5/2012 12:48:07 PM

An interesting statement for sure... but there are many scenarios and people which prove the opposite of this.. So what explains that?

What explains the people that survive jumping off the Golden Gate bridge?

What explains the mothers that lift buses off their children when they're pinned underneath after an accident?

Who the frack knows? Some people are just stronger than other people.

That in and of itself, doesn't make the weaker people less than human.
 ponygt
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2012 8:20:09 PM

Revenge is revenge.Just because it is allowed under the law does not make it any less revenge.
Re-read what was posted. And keep reading. Eventually you'll understand my point. In fact, I even specifically stated the topic of discussion was in regards to an individual taking revenge against another for something that 'other' did to them. An example was given to show justice as revenge within our court system. Two TOTALLY different things. But again, keep reading, you'll eventually get it.

Ok so karma is going to get you if you do bad things? So what about all of the horrible things that happen to people who never did a thing to deserve these bad things.If karma is responsible for getting you when you do bad things,then what the heck is going on there?

Think about it.

AND, again, re-read what was posted. Are you one of those 'skimmer-readers' that really doesn't try to comprehend the point that is being verbalized? Did I, or did I not just say a difference of opinion doesn't make one right over the other? Your non-belief of Karma has no bearing on what I stated. BUT, I will answer your question.....Your question is flawed. How? because what you might consider as 'never did anything to deserve it' doesnt' mean they never did. It's your perception that they didn't. And if you are going to use the example of rape, or abuse, or child abuse, or life threatening illness, I will not even respond. For several reasons.
 larissan04
Msg: 129
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:05:50 PM
blondedevil

i had to laugh about your fat cat farting in your ex's face. when i was going through a divorce, one of my cats apparently jumped up on my husbands bed (he had had an "overnight" guest, apparently) and took a very runny, smelly, disgusting poop. she had never done this before. i think she knew.

cheers to the pets that carry out acts of revenge so we dont' have to!
 Archangel_07
Msg: 130
Posted: 1/6/2012 3:27:36 AM
Halcyon Skies & Larissan,
Lmao that's cold X-D. I used to get angry about my ex's but never went as far a doing vindictive things to them. I just cut them off and move on with my life. It's much easier that way.
 Revilors
Msg: 131
Posted: 1/6/2012 7:35:13 AM

cheers to the pets that carry out acts of revenge so we dont' have to!

We could arguably consider that karma. Unless stool softener and training was willfully applied.
 Julietsdestiny
Msg: 132
Posted: 1/6/2012 8:07:54 AM
imacipher (Msg 116).....You have summed it up for me or rather Willian Shakespear has.....That's great advice and something to live by!
 Viper1E
Msg: 133
Posted: 1/6/2012 8:42:49 AM
Recent events ... have caused me to perhaps re-evaluate some of my views on the subject. I'm coming to believe the best way, may be to be per-emptive, and simply Not Care.

Just stop caring about anyone, then you remove access to your heart and feelings, and that removes their power to hurt you.

If you never hurt, you never have a need for revenge/justice. You use them for what they can offer, as they're using you, and keep your feelings in the next room, or city.

Then you'll be safe.
 Capn_America
Msg: 134
Posted: 1/6/2012 8:45:31 AM
Just stop caring about anyone, then you remove access to your heart and feelings, and that removes their power to hurt you.

That`s actually the worst road in the world. Trust me, I know. I was going there. Not caring, removing yourself...turns you bitter and angry at the world. Don`t, friendly advice lol. I actually still do that if a girlfriend turns on me sometimes, or cheats on me. I'm not a complicated guy, I tell any new girlfriend that I get into a LTR with that I got 2 rules; don't lie to me, and don't cheat on me. All the rest is negociable. Yet, about 6-7 relationships latter, not one has been able to abide those two rules. I was becoming abitter mess and closing myself. I'm working on it, but it's self destructive and not wanted really.
 part deux
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2012 8:49:10 AM
Not taking things personally works better than not caring.
 larissan04
Msg: 136
Posted: 1/6/2012 9:16:15 AM
capnamerica~

"That`s actually the worst road in the world. Trust me, I know. I was going there. Not caring, removing yourself...turns you bitter and angry at the world. Don`t, friendly advice lol. I actually still do that if a girlfriend turns on me sometimes, or cheats on me. I'm not a complicated guy, I tell any new girlfriend that I get into a LTR with that I got 2 rules; don't lie to me, and don't cheat on me. All the rest is negociable. Yet, about 6-7 relationships latter, not one has been able to abide those two rules. I was becoming abitter mess and closing myself. I'm working on it, but it's self destructive and not wanted really."

you are so right about maintaining the ability to feel. sure, getting hurt, duped, lied to, cheated on, etc. really hurts. the thing is, if you shut yourself off from being able to feel pain then you shut yourself off from being able to feel pleasure as well. also, not being able to feel empathy or care about people is one of the characteristics of a sociopath, or the anti social personality. one of the other characteristics is promiscuity and infidelity. so yes, cheating is anti social behavior. period. end of story.

anytime you give your heart to someone you take a risk, and one has to take responsibility for that choice. sure, i have been very hurt, cheated on, lied to, etc., but that doesn't mean that i have to stick around for a second serving of pain. one has to forgive, too, to enable one to move on and heal. i have forgiven every person that has wronged me in some way. that doesn't mean they will ever be a part of my life, and it doesn't mean that i leave myself open to being their victim in the future, but it does mean that what they have done can no longer impact me in anyway. forgiveness has helped me achieve that blissful state of indifference, which i actually believe is the opposite of love.

i think this the best revenge. when you truly are indifferent towards a person that has wronged you, but you feel no hatred or ill will towards them, then you've healed and moved on. and even though you might not be around to see karma kick in, just know that people who harm others and take no responsibility are really doing more damage to themselves. no person can feel good about him or herself by going through life lying , cheating, and harming others - unless, of course, they are one of the anti social personality types.
 Viper1E
Msg: 137
Posted: 1/6/2012 9:21:29 AM
if you shut yourself off from being able to feel pain then you shut yourself off from being able to feel pleasure as well. also, not being able to feel empathy or care about people is one of the characteristics of a sociopath, or the anti social personality. one of the other characteristics is promiscuity and infidelity. so yes, cheating is anti social behavior. period. end of story.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Spock from Start Trek. Just go Vulcan, get rid of emotion, and address the rest of my life with nothing but logic.

No emotion =no pain.
 cooldog65
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2012 9:28:09 AM
^^^^^ Watch Star Trek episode "Amok Time". Spock shows plenty of emotion, due to a biological urge/madness. I would rethink on going Spock. I'll take the intellect, but Kirk got the women.
 Capn_America
Msg: 139
Posted: 1/6/2012 9:54:36 AM

^^^^^ Watch Star Trek episode "Amok Time". Spock shows plenty of emotion, due to a biological urge/madness. I would rethink on going Spock. I'll take the intellect, but Kirk got the women.

LMAO Notice the silence in the room from the ladies after a Star Trek statement
But yeah, Spock, as an example, was Vulcan. He was following the path of Kohlinar, which is the will by the Vulcans to completely purge yourself of emotions, in order to devote yourself to a higher form of logic, to try and attain the levels of Surak. YET...even Spock ended up realising that you really cannot LIVE without emotions, and embraced his human heritage. So its not a very good example. A good example would be the Terminator; would any ladies jump the Terminator here? Is the guy happy? Of course not (and before anyone responds, I mean the CHARACTER Terminator, not Arnold when he was 25 full of muscles and sexy ) and he never will be. Because the switch is off. You feel nothing, no pleasure, pain, nothing. What's the point of living?

And I want to be Captain Kirk lol. I want to throws myself sideways in the air and knock three guys out like HE DOES!
 ladyc4
Msg: 140
Posted: 1/6/2012 10:18:02 AM
Without reading the entire thread( the title just kind of grabbed my attention,LOL)-I really have never been in a scenario where I felt a need or an interest in vengeance. I'm lazy, I'll let karma deal with it.
However

and these day's would have just put her stuff in a bag and given the bag to my ex to give to her

I'd have probably put the EX in the bag-its' amazing what you can cram into one of those "contractor size" trash bags,and don't worry, I'd have put some ventilation holes in it (no not with a firearm,of course not) as well as her things, and given it all to her. I might even have put a big red bow on it!

Seriously, OT, I can't recall any relationship situations/scenarios where I've felt an interest in wreaking vengeance, and quite frankly I find it appalling when I hear of serious vandalism being done in the name of relationship revenge.
Cindy O
 apurfectmeow
Msg: 141
Posted: 1/6/2012 10:21:42 AM
I think it takes more self respect and confidence to walk away without being vindictive.
It says a lot about the true values of an individual from the inside out.
The package after all isnt what it may always seem and may be misinterpreted often.
Strong personal core beliefs do not sway. Life itself teaches way too many lessons as it is. I certainly have never been spared and developed a charitable, helpful, compassionate side despite a life full of tragic tribulations. I never once believed in revenge as an answer to anything

Theres some really mean people on this site. This thread shows a lot of true colors out here in forum land.
 Viper1E
Msg: 142
Posted: 1/6/2012 10:56:47 AM
I had a friend once. He was my best friend, we both loved to golf and do tech stuff together. I used to talk about the ex with him a lot. And he talked about his wife a lot. And when things went south in his marriage, and she wronged him, it turns out he didn't believe in revenge either.

He drove about a mile from his home, sat under a tree, stuck his shotgun in his mouth, and pulled the trigger. That was one year ago last November

Maybe he was on to something..
 Capn_America
Msg: 143
Posted: 1/6/2012 11:08:18 AM

He drove about a mile from his home, sat under a tree, stuck his shotgun in his mouth, and pulled the trigger. That was one year ago last November

Nope. I dont want to pass judgement if he was your best friend, but for me, that was a cowardly act to do. Granted, he got out, but look what he did; he hurt probably his ex (god, I hope he didn`t have kids....) he hurt his family, and he hurt his best friend...if he would have been thinking about any of you, he wouldnt have done it. He could just have easily not have believed in revenge, yet not do the immensely stupid thing of plugging himself. Hey, at the very least, go out with a bang, go alone with a shotgun inside a drug dealer lair and buckshot the lot of them!
That is never a solution, but part of a problem. Assisted suicide for sick or infirm people is one thing, but offing onself..... he probably had much deeper issues than his mariage.
I had some problems of my own. I wont go into details here, but...you think about it. But then you realise that your really gone create a lot more problems, break a lot more people, than you will by judge trudging on. Death is never funny,neither is suicide. He should have known better, is what I mean.
Better he would have grabbed eggs and thrown them at his exs house, or set fire to her lawn LOL. He would have felt INSTANTLY better
 Viper1E
Msg: 144
Posted: 1/6/2012 11:23:53 AM
but look what he did; he hurt probably his ex (god, I hope he didn`t have kids....)

Actually 5 kids. His oldest (9) is my Goddaughter and there were two sets of twins 4 and 2.

He was only gone 8 months before she (and she was his current, not his ex) had moved someone (probably the one she wronged him with) into the house HE built. I think the last time I'll ever go there again was this last Christmas, when I went to deliver Xmas presents to the kids.

The place just doesn't feel the same anymore. But she would probably say "Better him than me.."
 apurfectmeow
Msg: 145
Posted: 1/6/2012 11:34:27 AM
My late fiance was terminally ill and did the same thing with a rifle.
Was it anyone's fault? No one put a fire arm up against their heads. That choice was their own. Now everyone left to remember them has to remember that. Suicide is a planned act years in the making. All she is doing is moving on with her life. Dont fault her for that. Their marriage was over long before she faulted him.

Revenge is never the answer regardless of what other people choose to do.
 Nevadamedic
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2012 11:45:47 AM
I don't at all. Like the old saying goes............

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves.
 imacipher
Msg: 147
Posted: 1/6/2012 11:57:32 AM
When in doubt; I leave questions that deal with human response-to philosophers, poets, writers, thinkers, & visionaries. Hey there's nothing "inhuman" in exacting a suitable REVENGE for wrongs done to you. I will never draw, "First Blood"; but when some SOB decides it's time to lay, "something" on me that I don't deserve; well, that's fair game. Yea, I'll live better & be, a happier camper knowing that I got-that SOB, right where it hurts them the most. And, I'm very patient ; I'll wait years if there is a need to. Just like the heartless bit*h rant:
" We are anonymous
We are legion.
We do not forgive
We do not forget.
Expect us..."
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 148
Posted: 1/6/2012 1:45:06 PM

I think it takes more self respect and confidence to walk away without being vindictive.

So you must think all the good guys in movies who have been screwed over, getting revenge are lacking in self-respect? I think some forms of raw knee-jerk reaction out of raw emotion are, sure... but giving someone a taste of their own medicine, if the opportunity presents itself, is a good thing overall -- it makes the other person think twice about doing harm to others. Many times the opportunity won't present itself but someone needs to react and do the closest thing to it, or if it does present itself, their emotions get the best of them.

I think if one takes a few steps back, counts to 10 (or 1000), and an opportunity presents itself to truly show the other person they did wrong or that there are consequences, without breaking any law, they should do it. Not doing so and the person getting away with it and letting off scott-free only encourages them that it's okay or doesn't let them realize that what they do is truly bad... but sometimes, ya gotta let that go and not substitute it with bad revenge and have the courage to move on.
 larissan04
Msg: 149
Posted: 1/6/2012 2:23:43 PM
imacipher~

"When in doubt; I leave questions that deal with human response-to philosophers, poets, writers, thinkers, & visionaries. Hey there's nothing "inhuman" in exacting a suitable REVENGE for wrongs done to you. I will never draw, "First Blood"; but when some SOB decides it's time to lay, "something" on me that I don't deserve; well, that's fair game."

i understand the sentiment, and i think there are ways to set things right, or enact justice in situations without being vindictive. for example, finding out your husband is cheating on you and cutting up his clothes really serves no purpose. however, letting it be known that he is cheating on you, thereby placing him in a position of public scrutiny is another. trust me, family, friends, colleagues, peers often don't look too kindly upon people that are cheaters. is placing someone's dirty deeds directly in the sunlight vindictive? i don't think so. look, part of being a grown up is owning what you do and owning the impact of your actions upon others.

" Yea, I'll live better & be, a happier camper knowing that I got-that SOB, right where it hurts them the most. And, I'm very patient ; I'll wait years if there is a need to.'"

again, i understand the sentiment, but is it really worth the energy? is it really balancing the scales?

" Just like the heartless bit*h rant:
" We are anonymous
We are legion.
We do not forgive
We do not forget.
Expect us..."

oh jeez...quoting anarchists? yawn.
Msg: 150
Posted: 1/6/2012 4:55:54 PM
And if you are going to use the example of rape, or abuse, or child abuse, or life threatening illness, I will not even respond. For several reasons.

You're not going to respond because you have no response to give because it is a rock solid argument against this foolish belief in karma and you know it.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Revenge an eye for an eye?