Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 35brock
Msg: 95
What is the worst way you were ever dumped?Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I was dating a woman for 6 months and she did the disappearing act. I think the disappearing act is rude and/or cowardly when it was after a few dates. It's worse when you were in a relationship.

Unless someone is in an abusive relationship, I think the breakup should be done face to face or at least by phone. Ending it by text or email is fine when it was after a few dates.
 floral2
Msg: 96
What is the worst way you were ever dumped?
Posted: 10/3/2013 6:37:07 AM
This was before the internet and cell phones become popular. He gave me a letter and walked away. When I read the letter, it said he was breaking up with me. Like another poster mentioned, I would have been okay with this if we had went out only a few times. But since we were in a relationship, he should have the guts to tell me face to face.
 35brock
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/3/2013 6:58:53 AM
This happened to one of my friends. His girlfriend had one of her friends tell him that she was breaking up with him.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/3/2013 8:38:35 AM

I think the disappearing act is rude and/or cowardly when it was after a few dates. It's worse when you were in a relationship.

I think it's not only worse, but it's conceptually different which is why it's worse. It's almost like comparing apples & oranges.

If you've been on 1-3 dates, you're not datING (yet?). It's still up in the air. It's rude to just disappear, unless both parties can read after that 3rd date that both feel that there's nothing going. Usually playing the "busy" card is enough for the other person to get the more-than-a-hint, since it's still in the pre-season phase where it's all about whether they're interested or not anyway. At least that's not just suddenly disappearing, although depending on how one's been feeling about the other, sometimes disappearing could be better there.

When you're a couple -- yeah, doing either of those things is WTF. Especially disappearing. But it's also hard to just disappear though if you're a couple. You know where each other lives, you run into their friends, where they hang out which you have also been hanging out at, etc.

But to suddenly without letting you know, move away or something -- that'd be crazy.
 35brock
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/3/2013 10:01:13 AM
If you've been on 1-3 dates, you're not datING (yet?). It's still up in the air. It's rude to just disappear, unless both parties can read after that 3rd date that both feel that there's nothing going. Usually playing the "busy" card is enough for the other person to get the more-than-a-hint, since it's still in the pre-season phase where it's all about whether they're interested or not anyway. At least that's not just suddenly disappearing, although depending on how one's been feeling about the other, sometimes disappearing could be better there.

Sometimes it is obvious that it's not going anywhere after 1-3 dates. Therefore neither person will contact the other person after a date. However some people will show clear signs right before the disappearing act. For example, some women have texted me after a date saying “I had a good time”. "You are a sweetheart”. “I am interested in going out on another date” etc. Yet when I called them to set up plans, they never returned my calls. If they changed their mind for whatever reason, that’s okay. But have some good manners and be upfront with tact. That way the other person will know and can move on sooner.
 nyceguy85
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/12/2013 12:39:19 PM
By picture via Facebook. The day after Valentines Day, she posts this pic on Facebook with her and another guy grabbing her butt as they hug. Being that one of her friends is my coworker, I asked her about it and she confirmed that the chick didnt know how to tell me so she posted the pic hoping that I would see it. It was a very calculating move too. She waited until I took her to Firebirds and she racked up $120 worth of food to dump me.
 lookinfouryoutoo
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2013 2:07:33 PM

By picture via Facebook. The day after Valentines Day, she posts this pic on Facebook with her and another guy grabbing her butt as they hug. Being that one of her friends is my coworker, I asked her about it and she confirmed that the chick didnt know how to tell me so she posted the pic hoping that I would see it. It was a very calculating move too. She waited until I took her to Firebirds and she racked up $120 worth of food to dump me.

Man, that sucks. Good thing is, she showed her character in how she ended things, and you definitely do NOT need to be involved with a woman like her.
 Xray86
Msg: 102
Posted: 10/12/2013 6:15:56 PM

How did you find out she had random sex with some stranger next week end. Was she drunk and were you following her around lol!!

Actually she told me this herself like two or three weeks after she broke up with me and wanted to be "friends." Sorry I wasn't clear on the timing of that. And that was when she was bragging about a totally different guy. That was two years ago, so I forgot why that information came out but it did.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 103
Posted: 10/12/2013 9:59:54 PM
I love you
I am just not IN LOVE with you.

Back from deployment - after 9 months of kicking ass in the desert and making life miserable for miscreant terrorist pieces of shiate.
fourteen years - meant nothing.

learned a bit
Lies and Liars - expect them - and life will never be surprising.
 forums1
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/13/2013 5:39:57 PM
One of my ex-GF's neighbors (and the real-estate agent I used when I was house shopping) wound up in the hospital for ovarian cancer (surgery)... her and her then-hubby had a cruise/vacation planned for the next week. He told her he was going to take this young hottie from work on vacation with him instead (leaving her in the hospital recovering from surgery, and to find her own way home when she was released that week). Needless to say he came home to divorce papers.
 waireh
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/13/2013 8:18:56 PM
I was dumped when I was in college. The guy I had been seeing for about two years decided to break up with me. He took me to a place we both loved (a park we frequented) and told me we should break up and left me there.
 MiaIris
Msg: 106
Posted: 10/14/2013 7:42:17 PM
Hmmm, how can I top that? Once, I was dating a young man for a while and he just stop calling me out of the blue. I was in my early twenties.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/16/2013 1:04:09 PM
Once, when I was on a crowded city bus...

Oh, sorry, I thought the question was, "What was the worst dump you've ever taken?" My bad...
 sddude
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2013 12:08:03 PM
the worst way I was dumped... I was with a girl for a couple of years, her family loved me (they always love me hehehe). One of the times we went out on one of our fun dates, she ended up dancing with a guy who was groping her under her skirt and making out with her, i come up to ask what the "hell" in a quiet nice and firm way and she told me she decided us just to be friends and proceeded to leave to a hotel with the guy, I went home alone and her mom and dad called me on my cell to know why she had not come home yet (they were on speaker phone), at the same time she called me at my house and I also placed her on speaker phone, she asked me to tell her parents that she was with me for a little bit at my house and was asleep, she told me sorry and she was at a hotel with this great new guy and that she would make it up to me, the parents and her duked it out on speaker phone.

i was soo bummed, weeks later she wanted to get back with me and was sorry , years later she still wants to go back .
Bye bye baby
 TOaks91360
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/21/2013 7:38:35 PM
She texted me that her mother was not happy that I paid alimony...
 JoeBnD
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/21/2013 9:34:36 PM

She texted me that her mother was not happy that I paid alimony...

I am sorry dude, but that made me LOL.
 juliettes7
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/22/2013 5:40:52 AM
I used to think it was over the phone, with some insults or some mollifying speech like "I'll never do better than you"/"I still am attracted to you but I don't want to date you right now".
Now "fading" looks pretty good. In fact, I'd prefer not to hash it out in person, mainly because public freak outs or bursting into tears, seems like it would make the person feel worse.
Email I wouldn't mind, if it was a bit detailed, with some possible follow ups. Maybe it's cold but isn't that the point-to disengage...
There is no nice way to disengage, but sparing pain by perhaps being available to answer questions, up to a point might be ok.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 112
Posted: 12/22/2013 12:56:36 PM
One of the times we went out on one of our fun dates, she ended up dancing with a guy who was groping her under her skirt and making out with her, i come up to ask what the "hell" in a quiet nice and firm way and she told me she decided us just to be friends and proceeded to leave to a hotel with the guy

WOW. That has to be the worst. I know you say you were with her for a couple years, but I have to believe that you guys were in a pseudo on-again-off-again situation emotionally (one-sided by her?)... like she'd still be with you because of family attachments and her own attachment, while you were emotionally chasing her most of your 'relationship', and while thinking things were good, it finally broke (in massive insensitive fashion).

Usually those horrible situations occur when a guy thinks he's going out with a girl, they kinda-sorta-are, but not really... he's fine with emotionally chasing her, her heart's not in it but likes the guy attention... the guy becomes a good "Plan B", while she can have her cake & eat it too. And finally at some point, she starts going after c0ck right in front of "her" guy because she's all out of cake. ;)

In other words, not so much a Dumping, but a crude way of nixing the elongated we're-not-Really-dating-but-we'll-see relationship between the two. It's always a lesson that just because you become good friends with some of their close friends or family members, doesn't mean it becomes more of a Relationship -- it can just be a weight for her (or him) to keep ya around when they're not that into you.

And to never spend much time at all in a "not-Really-dating-but-we'll-see" situation with someone, while you're emotionally chasing her, and her position is (allegedly) because she's not totally ready, has issues with ex, blah blah.

If you two were a real couple with no underlying exceptions or caveats -- thru and thru -- and this came out of Nowhere -- I would hardly be "quiet and nice" with her about it. Heck, even if you're in a casual dating situation.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2013 10:35:45 AM
My high school sweetheart dumped me without even telling me, we graduated from High School and went to separate colleges. We never officially broke up nor did we ever discuss it. The schools are only 45 minutes apart so it was more or less an wait and see approach. Anyway after calling her and not getting an answer from her. I look on Facebook and she's in a relationship at first I thought she meant with me(This was before the "I'm in a relationship" with feature) but I look at her pictures and she's posing with some other guy in all of them and they're kissing in one of them. For whatever reason I wasn't mad, it just confirmed it and I started to date and pursue other girls. It was 10 years ago and a lot has changed, I still make fun of her for it and she explained that we hadn't talked for awhile that she just assumed we were done and didn't mean to hurt me which she really didn't.

Another one involves Facebook.
So I've been in a relationship with this girl for nearly a year. A year of which consisted of her falsely accusing me of cheating on her with just about every female I know. Even if there was no basis for it, the female could have texted "Hey babe" to me on the phone and she would freak out and accuse me of having an affair. SHe would go behind my back and check my messages on any social network I'm on. She even accused me of doing something with an ex-GF (another girl who dumped me in an embarrassing fashion) In which to her credit the girl apparently came to my defense, told her that I was a good guy and she had nothing to worry about. Needless to say I got tired of being falsely accused and decided to call it off in which she begged me not too and swore that she could change and that she didn't understand why she felt the way she was feeling and that she really loved me. We stay together for three more weeks. One night I leave her in my room because she wants to check her online class, I go play my videogame in a separate room. She walks in the computer room, looks at me and tells me she wants to go home, shaking her head that we were done. Confused and annoyed, I take her home. During the ride, she goes off on me. Curses at me and yells "Shortcake" over and over again. Literally our convo is this.

Her: SHORTCAKE, SHORTCAKE, SHORTCAKE!
Me: What are you talking about?
Her: SHORTCAKE, SHORTCAKE, I F*CKING SAW IT.
Me: What? Are you f*cking hungry?
Her: I saw the e-mail on Facebook.
Me: What message on Facebook, what the hell are you talking about?
Her (Sobbing): Why do you do this to me? I KNEW, I COULDN'T TRUST YOU.
Me: I'm sorry for whatever I did, I don't know! I don't know what I did.
Her: YOU LIED TO ME AND TOLD ME YOU WERE SICK AND YOU WERE STUDYING! BUT YOU WENT OUT WITH HER, WITH THAT B*TCH.

Needless to say after I awhile when I realize that she betrayed my trust again, I lose my temper and we curse each other out. I even pulled over and we switch seats so that she can drive because I was getting pretty emotional. Her response is that once I calmed down I would realize that she was right.

I go back home and out of curiosity, I check my FB messages, I don't see any messages from this mysterious "Shortcake" chick. I click on page two and I see the message. The girl's nickname is "shortbread" and it's in the middle of her name. Me and this girl a total of two times and she later would reject me in a pretty embarrassing way. So while there was a message, the message was over an year old in fact, 3 months before I met my ex. I looked at it and actually laughed. The message itself is relatively harmless. She's in a modeling troupe that was throwing an 80's party at the college she was going to. It's an all-girls college so she wanted to me to bring some male friends and then me and her could hang out later.

I called her and let her know that she was stupid and the message was from before we met. She wanted to get back together but I told her no. She would try multiple times over the next two years but I stood my ground.
 forums48380
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/26/2013 7:50:45 PM
The worst way was slowly, over weeks.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/27/2013 12:07:19 PM

(doria0819) Arlo troutman
I had to check your age as that was so juvenile a comment I couldnt believe it.

My sparkling and bubbly conversation is not everyone's cuppa, admittedly.

A middle aged man, really???

I'm not 48; I'm 29 with 19 years of experience...

The girls will be hot after you....not.....

Eh, I can't complain...
 patzeej
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2014 9:39:37 AM
Same here...spoke on line several times a day, emailed, and spoke on the phone several times...got along really well....went out on a date a week later... Date was fine...again...got along, conversation flowed...dinner went well. Said he was going on vacation the next week, and could he text, email or call me.. I said sure. When I got home, sent him a message thanking him for dinner, that I was happy to have met him and would look forward to hearing from him again. The next morning, got up and read emails, and got on this site. Checked to see if anything from him. I was dumbfounded...none of the message we had been sending back and forth were there. No proof of our contact. So, being the curious type and not understanding what happened...did the name search. Tried to msg him...and there it was. The jerk had blocked me... not sure why... I guess the thing that gets me is...why no explanation...and how do you force an explanation from someone who has blocked you. It is another lesson learned for me...a perfect gentleman...can be a butthead too...
 rftv1020
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/11/2014 4:58:59 PM
(1) girlfriend: Tried to run over me in a parking lot.

(2) girlfriend: Tried to push me down a flight of stairs.

(3) girlfriend: Came home and all my crap was thrown in the front yard.

(4) Fiance: By e-mail while I was having lunch with my boss and co-workers. Then blocked my e-mail and cell.

lmao pick one. Fecal Happens
 south_city
Msg: 118
Posted: 7/12/2014 9:42:54 AM
One woman did disappearing act. Suddenly stopped returning my calls.
Another woman changed her relationship status on Facebook back to single. The previous day we had talked on the phone. She could have told me then. I found out about the Facebook profile update from a mutual acquaintance.
 TigerNamedtony1222
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2014 1:52:20 PM
My last ex. We dated for 4 years and we had a lot of ups and down, but there was good times. Her parents loved me. It was May 2013 and i was at a buddy's house and i see she checked in to a coffee shop 7 miles away. I'm not jealous, but for her to drive out that far to have coffee is strange. I texted her what was up and she said having coffee. I said with who. She said does it matter? I said no i was just wondering. She let it hit the fan. She replied back she was having coffee with a friend who felt the same way about marriage that she did. Marriage was like a death trap and you spend the rest of your life with someone you really cant stand and have stupid children that prevent you from ever living a good life. I was stunned. I said i dont get it. She replied how i didnt pay her rent ( which i did, I gave her $ monthly), how i took advantage of her parents generosity ( they paid for dinner, and i even offered to pay the dad said no i got it). Basically told me i could stay but only as a roomate. That night i got my stuff out her house and left. Two weeks later she had a new man and 6 months later shes engaged.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >