Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > In the wrong place to find the right man      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FloridaLady46
Msg: 76
In the wrong place to find the right manPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
This post reminded me of a movie from the 80's called "Doc Hollywood". Michael Keaton played a plastic surgeon who moved to the country. He was much happier with the slower pace of country life in the end. Does anyone else remember that one?
 nativerock
Msg: 77
In the wrong place to find the right man
Posted: 1/18/2012 2:29:06 PM

You will find it hard for a new man to want to share the care of 100 animals if they accept being tied to a B&B. Did you do your research before moving there?

Since she wanted this lifestyle I am thinking she is more likely to find the right gent there than anywhere else.. Most men that live in nature love animals although am less sure about the bed and breakfast there is not a whole lot to do out there so that might be just fine as well..

I am one that believes in similar lifestyles can make a relationship great..

nativerock
 summer333
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/18/2012 4:43:40 PM
Geeeez, where did you move to, Deliverance country??????
 cajun29
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/18/2012 5:22:17 PM
I have lived on the farm all my life. It always amazes me the people that move next to a hog farm then complain about the smell. The op needs to remember that some off those "uneducated" people run million dollar companies called farms and are a lot smarter than her.
 deere rancher
Msg: 80
Posted: 1/18/2012 5:52:56 PM
Wouldn't give up the deer ranch for anything ...guess it just comes down to your priorities
 kailania
Msg: 81
Posted: 1/20/2012 5:15:09 PM
OP: i loved your post and read it outloud to my 23 yr old daughter as we laughed.
she had thought you were talking about our own town. lol

ok...OP....just get used to those good old red necked, truck lovin, 4x4byin, huntin, beer guzzlin, county music lovin, tv watchin, sexy country mountain men.

ya never know who you might meet and you might be quite surprised at how much the tv can educate a man.

(this is in jest not meaning to offend anyone or any of my neighbors)
 amaryllus123
Msg: 82
Posted: 1/20/2012 9:41:54 PM
Oh, yes, what a great idea! Move back to the City where nobody makes time for anybody else.
Where homelessness and filth abound, where passersby would watch you be attacked and do nothing, where all that 'culture' is so expensive as to be prohibitive (and usually not worth experiencing) and where everyone is so damned afraid of each other that they hide in cowardice behind their POF profile and computer screen!
I live in a major west coast city (U.S.) and all I see on POF in my city are men who think they are perfect who are looking for the 'perfect' woman, meaning perfect body and high income. These are the same men who, 20 years ago, passed me up because I was low income and did not want to have kids. Now they are saddled with ex-wives and children and a gut , oh, but I'm still child-free and so happy! Oh, but, hey these guys are 'cultured'. What does that mean anyways? I've run into just as many redneck city boys in SF as any country redneck, city boys are just over-confident and less honest.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/21/2012 8:00:21 PM
This post reminded me of a movie from the 80's called "Doc Hollywood". Michael Keaton played a plastic surgeon who moved to the country. He was much happier with the slower pace of country life in the end. Does anyone else remember that one?

That was Michael J. Fox. They filmed much of that movie in a small town named Micanopy, Florida, which is just about 30 minutes from where I live.

OP - This thread reminds me of the movie "Overboard". Goldie hawn fell off of her multi-million dollar yacht, had amnesia, and was taken into the home of a bachelor who was raising a few kids. The town was Elk Snout, I think...

She hated everything about the man, the home, and the kids at first. She later had a change of heart and fell in love, loved being a "mommy" to the kids, etc...
 whitebirch
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/22/2012 1:52:41 PM

This sounds like a sitcom where the Trailer Park Boys meet the Beverly Hillbillies.

well i'm beyond the 75-mile marker by a little bit, mr. weatherman

had tried to send this, but was sent back to my inbox sheepishly.

what i had tried to send:
[i wonder if this won't go, as i may be over 75 miles. i'd just remembered to look in the forums, where i posted a couple times a week or two (or three) ago. i saw your remark about trailer park boys meeting beverly hillbillies & thought it was funny to see someone mention tpb here. that's something i recently found on netflix & have been watching all i can. really funny!]

*sorry for hijacking the thread momentarily! *
 nick0lass
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/25/2012 12:05:54 AM
In a word... HOPE. To elaborate a bit. No, this isn't the wrong place. That being said it isn't the only place either. It seems to me that it is a hard road to travel anyway.

Personally I'm:
too nice
too guarded
too open
too sexual
too prudish
too bald
have too much hair
articulate so I must be gay
not articulate enough so I must be angry

The list goes on... People are picky before even deciding to meet. Out of the blue when you are paying off a parking ticket before the deadline and you hear "You actually pay those" You look up in disgust and your gaze lands on a playful, brilliant smile. A conversation might ensue and the fella will convince you to have a quick dinner. He'll pay of course because he feels bad about his earlier comment. The guards go down and you might actually have a mutual liking for one another.

One thing is for sure though and this is from a guy's perspective... Okay my perspective.
If you give me the cold shoulder before you know me. How can you possibly know if I'm the right guy or not?

Don't fret, it'll happen, probably when you least expect it.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/25/2012 1:04:44 AM
To the OP...it sounds like you have a lot on your plate so maybe dating needs to take a back burner until after your B & B is established. You might meet a nice single man guest.
 robin-hood
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2012 2:38:28 AM
Well I'm guessing at least 1/2 of those animals are chickens with a bed & breakfast business. If one is financially set, then affording someone to mind the store a week at a time shouldn't be that difficult.

But some in Montana would thing if your closet neighbor was less than a mile away your a city slicker.
 damsel19
Msg: 88
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:03:37 PM
You are not in your right milieu. I would not bother with men I dont fancy, cant have a conversation with and are unhygienic. Wouldnt even go out with them. Sorry.

I guess you will just have to realise you wont find Mr Right where you are right now but then again with a bed and breakfast, who knows who may come along. Plenty of us live without a man because we wont settle and you should not, either.

You may meet someone more suitable online but I kind of doubt it and they would have to be living in your neck of the woods.

damsel19
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/3/2012 10:08:45 PM
Wrandy
Are you with someone since four years ago that you mentioned? Being a non smoker and a light drinker is a big plus I concede. Getting dates is one thing, having an ongoing relationship is another.

You may live in an area where there is a scarcity of decent available men but usually you guys are struggling to find attractive women on here.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2012 11:12:59 PM
It is easy to be in the "right" place to do some things that you like, but in the "wrong" place to find the "right" man. I'm there with ya!
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/4/2012 12:58:36 PM
I've lived in cities, suburbs, small towns and the country. I have enjoyed aspects of all of them. In 1988 I moved from a very large city to a small town in the middle of nowhere - after I got over the "culture shock", I met my husband, who was a native of the area. I never expected to meet someone like him because I assumed he was just a hillbilly redneck. But he was sooooooo much more than that, and thank God I was open-minded enough to find out!

The OP might be long gone but if she keeps her mind open to the possibilities of the area to where she has relocated, she may find that it really is what she had hoped for. It's not going to be perfect just because she thinks it ought to be so. She may need to adjust her expectations in order to make it work for her.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/4/2012 1:22:59 PM

The OP might be long gone but if she keeps her mind open to the possibilities of the area to where she has relocated, she may find that it really is what she had hoped for. It's not going to be perfect just because she thinks it ought to be so. She may need to adjust her expectations in order to make it work for her.

Nice post, Vixen!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2012 3:47:56 PM
The OP didn't move from a 'dirty' city'. She moved from metropolitan Vancouver, BC which is consistently rated by the UN as the most liveable city in the world.

Among my positions in life has been assignments in National Parks. . I lived 'in the sticks' on 3 occassions. It was fine for a few years but it only makes me appreciate living in the 'positive feeling' of a Canadian urban setting. I like access the cultural amenities, social groups, etc. I enjoy hiking and backpacking but then returning to 'civilization'. A hike in mountains one Saturday...then dinner theatre the next. Out birdwatching one evening but then the next attending a university lecture....etc.

I like the access to fresh fruits and vegetables....access to medical facilities...access to libraries...browsing a thrift store...eating at a veggie restaurant...

A rural or 'remote' lifestyle was once appealing but I prefer to dabble in it rather than live it.

As for 'the people'. Depends. Some rural areas & small towns are made up of 'locals' (I can't take them!)...others largely made up of outsiders....usually more interesting, worldly. National Park towns, thankfully, tended to be the latter.
 ro1970
Msg: 94
Posted: 3/4/2012 3:52:54 PM
As I have skimmed this thread, I'll say I'd better make sure I look into all the options BEFORE moving!
 Ready_Real
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/4/2012 4:35:08 PM
Every place has its charm:)
 rickinpx
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2012 12:09:35 AM
It all what you are used too. The idea of man you had growing up. I t has been quite the opposite for me. I have lived in large metropolitan areas for the last 15 years. While there are alot of beautiful women, it seems like I don't get the connection. Now I am moving back to a town of 30,000.
 TreeinForrest
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/10/2012 3:42:20 AM
You are correct in your assumption. It has been proven statistically, that age, geographic location, sex (females take longer to meet men and re-settle down) have a big impact on the selection process for women to re-settle down.

So if you are in a rural area your chances are less and less for meeting someone compatible.
Bearing in mind men are usually re-settled down within 6 months to 2 years and women take anywhere from 5 to 7 years to re-settle down the stats are about 10 to 1 for every single man out there. So mens chances are far greater than a womans in re-establishing himself faster than a women and the time frame to literally get in and get out is shorter.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2012 8:23:15 AM
How can a man's chance of settling down be 10 to 1 unless 90% men are all gay and are settling down with other guys? They are settling down with a woman.
 rockhounds
Msg: 99
To find the right man
Posted: 3/11/2012 1:11:27 AM
I read most of the suggestions and I think "911 Love" pretty much ID's the problem and how to solve it. I actually moved to New Zealand and have a composite of both worlds. Good Luck
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:45:19 PM
I have the same problem living in rural Michigan - lots of rednecked hunters, etc. my business is here and all I deal with is families and children. People always say you'll find someone when you're not looking. When I'm not looking I'm sitting in my pajamas in 40 acres of woods.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > In the wrong place to find the right man