Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > In the wrong place to find the right man      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 91
In the wrong place to find the right manPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I've lived in cities, suburbs, small towns and the country. I have enjoyed aspects of all of them. In 1988 I moved from a very large city to a small town in the middle of nowhere - after I got over the "culture shock", I met my husband, who was a native of the area. I never expected to meet someone like him because I assumed he was just a hillbilly redneck. But he was sooooooo much more than that, and thank God I was open-minded enough to find out!

The OP might be long gone but if she keeps her mind open to the possibilities of the area to where she has relocated, she may find that it really is what she had hoped for. It's not going to be perfect just because she thinks it ought to be so. She may need to adjust her expectations in order to make it work for her.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 92
In the wrong place to find the right man
Posted: 3/4/2012 1:22:59 PM

The OP might be long gone but if she keeps her mind open to the possibilities of the area to where she has relocated, she may find that it really is what she had hoped for. It's not going to be perfect just because she thinks it ought to be so. She may need to adjust her expectations in order to make it work for her.

Nice post, Vixen!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2012 3:47:56 PM
The OP didn't move from a 'dirty' city'. She moved from metropolitan Vancouver, BC which is consistently rated by the UN as the most liveable city in the world.

Among my positions in life has been assignments in National Parks. . I lived 'in the sticks' on 3 occassions. It was fine for a few years but it only makes me appreciate living in the 'positive feeling' of a Canadian urban setting. I like access the cultural amenities, social groups, etc. I enjoy hiking and backpacking but then returning to 'civilization'. A hike in mountains one Saturday...then dinner theatre the next. Out birdwatching one evening but then the next attending a university lecture....etc.

I like the access to fresh fruits and vegetables....access to medical facilities...access to libraries...browsing a thrift store...eating at a veggie restaurant...

A rural or 'remote' lifestyle was once appealing but I prefer to dabble in it rather than live it.

As for 'the people'. Depends. Some rural areas & small towns are made up of 'locals' (I can't take them!)...others largely made up of outsiders....usually more interesting, worldly. National Park towns, thankfully, tended to be the latter.
 ro1970
Msg: 94
Posted: 3/4/2012 3:52:54 PM
As I have skimmed this thread, I'll say I'd better make sure I look into all the options BEFORE moving!
 Ready_Real
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/4/2012 4:35:08 PM
Every place has its charm:)
 rickinpx
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2012 12:09:35 AM
It all what you are used too. The idea of man you had growing up. I t has been quite the opposite for me. I have lived in large metropolitan areas for the last 15 years. While there are alot of beautiful women, it seems like I don't get the connection. Now I am moving back to a town of 30,000.
 TreeinForrest
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/10/2012 3:42:20 AM
You are correct in your assumption. It has been proven statistically, that age, geographic location, sex (females take longer to meet men and re-settle down) have a big impact on the selection process for women to re-settle down.

So if you are in a rural area your chances are less and less for meeting someone compatible.
Bearing in mind men are usually re-settled down within 6 months to 2 years and women take anywhere from 5 to 7 years to re-settle down the stats are about 10 to 1 for every single man out there. So mens chances are far greater than a womans in re-establishing himself faster than a women and the time frame to literally get in and get out is shorter.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2012 8:23:15 AM
How can a man's chance of settling down be 10 to 1 unless 90% men are all gay and are settling down with other guys? They are settling down with a woman.
 rockhounds
Msg: 99
To find the right man
Posted: 3/11/2012 1:11:27 AM
I read most of the suggestions and I think "911 Love" pretty much ID's the problem and how to solve it. I actually moved to New Zealand and have a composite of both worlds. Good Luck
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/7/2012 9:45:19 PM
I have the same problem living in rural Michigan - lots of rednecked hunters, etc. my business is here and all I deal with is families and children. People always say you'll find someone when you're not looking. When I'm not looking I'm sitting in my pajamas in 40 acres of woods.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > In the wrong place to find the right man