Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 liswil
Msg: 148
 newhereto
Msg: 152
Inbox subject lines all say View Message
Posted: 1/22/2012 6:36:55 AM
While not 100% of the comments have been negative, the overwhelming majority of the comments have been negative.

I'm sure that this site is now a pretty low priority for Big Fish. After all, it has been almost a week and the system seems to be getting worse, not better and he hasn't commented in this thread since Jan 14th. Seems to have lost interest in our concerns.

Last I heard he was making $10 million a year. You would think he could put these kinds of changes before a focus group before dumping them on the users. Yea, I know, it's a free service. Don't complain. But that 10 mil only keeps coming in if the users keep clicking pages.
 ccjust4fun
Msg: 154
NEW Inbox Format - POST ALL ISSUES HERE (including email blocking issues)
Posted: 1/22/2012 12:11:17 PM
Has POF became a pay sight? I can't get my inbox, search due to a box blocking them....
 distinctive
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Inbox subject lines all say view message
Posted: 1/22/2012 4:21:38 PM
Remember the primary motto of Engineers..

"If it aint broke, dont fix it!!"

,or is thart the secondary motto.. I think the primary motto is..
"if it aint broke, then drink beer".. but you get the message..
It wasnt broken to begoin with!!
 j-m-f
Msg: 156
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:43:30 PM
Definitely agree Miss Allison they need to at least leave the subject for POF Events. They just blend in with the other messages.
 spicynsweet2
Msg: 157
Posted: 1/27/2012 12:11:25 PM
yes, the subject line need to be there. As a party host, many of the people receiving the mass emails do not "read" them. They send you an email telling you they are straight. I have replied telling them to change their email settings as mass emails are sent to all ages over 21 and all GENDERS. Even if you reply and explain this politely, the reply again, they never read the message!!!
SO WHERE DID THE BLOCK button dissapear to? This is also a much needed feature as a party host.

I hope everyone find their own special fish, the one they cannot live without.
Huggz, Jo
 Turandot01
Msg: 159
Posted: 1/28/2012 4:06:12 AM
I want to block a user from sending me messages.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2012 8:05:56 AM
Well, we now can send messages from profile pages again. That's progress. And photos are appearing beside the messages, too, and our profiles have all our public photos again. Anyone know if deleted messages are still visible? (I never delete any.)

If we're not getting message titles back, at least PLEASE change "View Message" to "View MessageS" - or something better, like "View Correspondence."

Why no labels on the To/From and Date fields? And why has Date suddenly been moved INTO the first line of text?

WHY IS THE MESSAGE COMPOSITION BOX SO SMALL??? Some of us actually look at our messages to see if they make sense instead of just streaming our consciousness. Scrolling a tiny window between Cut and Paste actions is a pain, particularly when seeing both donor and graft contexts still make sense.

Okay, I hate threaded messages. The code for non-threaded messages already exists. If the message database is compatible with either scheme, why not let the user pick their preference? Remember - we ALREADY had the ability to show only messages from one user at a time. There are times when I'd get tired of switching from Sent to Inbox - so I just left two tabs or windows open.

For me, a big improvement would be the ability to see EVERYONE's message to and from me in the same listing. But I'd still want separate message viewing; Previous/Next buttons would speed things a bit, too.

Within a "correspondence," have a sort button or arrow to change direction. It's easy; one user flag (or a temporary one on the page) and one comparison selection in the display algorithm. For me, I think it's more natural to read in the same direction WITHIN messages and BETWEEN messages.

For those who complain about scrolling: use the END key or just grab the scroll bar and pull. Better yet, why not just have the HTML load the page but show the bottom of it? The HTML allows the page's focus, for example, to be moved to any part of the page... such as the blocking box at the bottom, or an invisible tag.

Lots of mail sites allow users to keep the old format when they change to a new one. I keep with the old one on two sites because the new formats are broken into frames that don't let me copy and save the whole message at once. Since PoF doesn't keep messages past 30 days, I always copy and save into a local text file, and since last fall that's meant first selecting and copying the address/title/date block, then the body of the message. AND inserting a blank line between them. More than double the work, and a chance to get addressing attached to the wrong message!

ED BEAR

Veteran of 43 years of programming and online communications - plenty of time to get to know what works for me!

Remember when we had emoticons, too?
 kasandroid
Msg: 164
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:52:56 PM
Playing Nancy Drew and following the CLUES has never been easier and more time efficient, thanks BigFish :)

On a downer note, the having to scroll past all the messages to get to new message, blows and doesn't make it easier for those with carpal tunnel, or tenditinis or thumbinitis, so maybe please change that before people get more crippled?

Oh and the headlines kept things exciting, since well most profiles are so damn dull.............................just saying.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 165
Posted: 2/5/2012 9:01:35 PM
I understand this now.

It saves creating a new message every time someone adds to the email ... smart.

As for the scrolling down, I'm still not fond of it.

Sure you don't miss the messages if you haven't read the previous one, but the amount of time to scroll is a pain.

Can't you reverse the order and put the newest one on top?

Please.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Everything's scrambled!
Posted: 2/6/2012 9:41:10 AM
Again, the scrolling's no big deal - just use the END key or pull the scroll bar down in a single motion.
ED BEAR
 Vidad
Msg: 168
Party Invitations Are MESSED UP!!!
Posted: 2/8/2012 6:19:31 AM
I love POF and host parties locally for members. It is an amazing thing to see people meet and connect! Unfortunately my party announcement this month is not being understood! I am getting emails from people saying that I am stupidly sending out an announcement for a party LAST MONTH! Since they see last months email first they think that is the announcement and just don't scroll down to see the current party announcement. I can see every party host getting very frustrated and wondering why bother? If POF does not correct the issue the parties will not be successful. Parties help build the popularity of POF and bring in new members so I really don't understand why this isn't corrected quickly. HELP!!!

Also... when I get a profanity filled reply from some guy because he doesn't understand it is an invitation and not a come-on, I block them - or at least I would if the block button was still there! Again, HELP PLEASE!!!
 TallinKC
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Inbox subject lines all say "view message"
Posted: 2/9/2012 1:59:39 PM
Hey Big Fish... can you add the actual message subject title back onto the inbox page? (http://www.pof.com/inbox.aspx)

Currently the only way I can see a subject is when i use the mobile app. That's a big time disappointment. It's not even displayed in the actual message summary view either. I start alot of my emails off with a question in the subject line and another answer or question in the body. People are probably wondering what the hell I'm talking about. I didn't pay for that kind of service when I upgraded. Moderators, please bump this

Also, since I brought up the messaging on the mobile app, I use the Android app and its almost impossible to use b/c there's no word wrap in it. If i go fix typos I really struggle getting back to the end of the line.

Thanks
 Ed Bear
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Conversation Threads
Posted: 2/15/2012 2:28:58 AM
We're all used to reading things top to bottom. Anyone not notice that's how we read messages here in the forums?

Still, there's no reason not to allow the user to select a reading direction.
ED BEAR
 DivineBovine
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Conversation Threads
Posted: 2/19/2012 5:07:10 PM
it SUCKS ROCKS!

look, today i got an email from someone who organizes local parties.

the first part of the message was for a party that was already done!

quit it already people!

it's STUPID!!!!

if i wanted to see my entire history with someone, there was a way before - just got back to it for pity's sake!

*sheesh*
 01iPi0
Msg: 178
Posted: 2/20/2012 6:07:46 AM
As a developer myself, the best (and only real) reason I can think of to get rid of the titles, is to get around the issue of having to chose which title to use when combining threads between the same people, where different messages in the same 'thread' have different titles.

BigFish,

Would it not be possible to just restore the original setup with titles, and when summarising the thread, pick the most recent topic title used for the thread by either party?
 barbaralou
Msg: 179
event
Posted: 2/21/2012 3:46:38 AM
Good morning, I was wondering if when you put an event on your page, can you put an image? If so, could you tell me how to do this? I'm gtting ready to put the event for St Patricks and I would like to put a pot of gold and coins. Is this allowed?
Thank you
Barbara
 djevox
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2012 3:47:53 PM
Where's the admin's comment on this issue? Seems right now like they don't care.

I can still add a subject title in the android app, but not on the desktop. The only caveat to that is I can't search by user name on the mobile app.

Hope they get this resolved soon.

The only comments by Admin (singular, as there is only one who controls site functionality) is provided by way of links in the first post.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2012 5:21:11 AM
Well, more changes tot he system and more problems arising...

I'd been using the SEND MESSAGE link on profile pages rather than replying, which at least allowed ME to see message titles from the SENT MESSAGE page, but the title field has vanished from that.

Naturally, I noticed my generic default GREETINGS! and figured it would be a work-around... no such luck; that option's vanished from MAIL SETTINGS too.

AND about a quarter of the images I see no longer work as links to the profile pages. In search listings, those with no image link also have no functioning VIEW PROFILE link.

Sure looks like BigFish is determined to remove titles from messages, even if it's taking him a long time to root them all out. Can't understand why... there's a clear place to put them in every message, and it's trivial code to show them with the message.

ED BEAR

testing_1-2-3-4
Msg: 182
no subject = no responses
Posted: 2/23/2012 12:42:29 AM
[second time i had to write this, ff crashed, arg!!]

If there are misunderstandings in here, please forgive me. This is the way I see it with the information available to me:

BRING BACK THE SUBJECT LINE & INCLUDE IT IN THE ALERTS:

My understanding is that without a custom subject line, there is absolutely no way to distinguish a given message from the 50 to 100 spam messages woman receives upon setting up an account on POF within day 1 to 2. The sheer number of spam messages, coupled with only a generic notification to the email account, virtually assures 'POF Burnout' of older, less active accounts. She read hundreds of messages saying the same thing, indicating the poster never read her profile and indicating a scammer of some kind, or simply someone with absolutely no creative ability what-so-ever: depressing and disappointing for a woman looking for any advantage to having 'put herself' online.

It naturally creates quite a bit of stress to unnaturally try to squeeze one's organic self into a non-organic representation. This plus the responses being mechanical, and over-whelming, assures that when she gets a real, interested male profile response, she would have stopped using POF or at least, not check the messages often, having no way to distinguish the alerts in her inbox.

Going the WRONG WAY: not only cease discontinuation of Subject/Topic lines, but also include the Subject line in the email alerts. This way she can distinguish.
 windfeet
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2012 11:06:13 AM
As of today, the default subject line (which can no longer be changed by the user) is still being displayed with messages sent via browser GUI. Android app sends default subject of 'Hi'.

This seems like an issue affecting a large majority of users. Is the grand high site developer addressing this? From a user's perspective, it sure doesn't seem like it.

Maybe have threaded messaging tested and running before eliminating legacy functions?!?!
 Ed Bear
Msg: 185
view profile
History
why am i not able to go to my inbox for messages
Posted: 3/1/2012 5:04:30 PM
Now that's an idea I've long wanted - have the e-mail notifications carry th subject line!

Of course, first we have to HAVE a subject line...

Perhaps Markus (the guy who does almost everything on the site by himself) is too busy because of the dead-soldier-picture lawsuit (photo continued to be shown, causing family grief). Give him a bit of time.
ED BEAR
 317Legend
Msg: 188
NEW Inbox Format - POST ALL ISSUES HERE (incl. subject lines & blocking issues)
Posted: 4/22/2012 10:27:52 AM
y when i view profiles now of ( woman ) guys show up at the top now, and never did before ? wtf
 Lucky60073
Msg: 191
NEW Inbox Format - POST ALL ISSUES HERE (incl. subject lines & blocking issues)
Posted: 5/3/2012 10:26:46 PM
I cant access my inbox whats up? says Im unauthorized.. what the hell!!
 PRCasper27
Msg: 192
Posted: 2/12/2013 1:19:14 AM
So It's been close to a year now, since they stopped allowing us to add a subject to our messages.........I wanted to know if they would ever consider adding that option back, since so many POF'ers seem to want it back.........any feedback to this question/addition?............
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >