Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "MA'AM"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ForumFilly
Msg: 34
MA'AMPage 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

In l.a. ma'am = bytch

Having lived in L.A. for 32 years, I heartily disagree. Now in Pacoima, San Fernando and East LA, and South Central LA, that could be the case due to the demographics but in most of L.A., ma'am is NOT a derogatory term.

And NOTHING sounds sexier than a man with a lovely southern accent calling a woman 'Ma'am'. Talk about a turn-on!!! **** Whea evah is ma fan!****
 vlad dracul
Msg: 35
view profile
History
MA'AM
Posted: 1/15/2012 1:38:45 PM
oh dear lol

all you precious lassies would hate it here in scotland then.

up until your early 20's older folk are addressed as missus and mister

as in 'you needin a hand wi that missus/mister?'

then after that im afraid it becomes hen and mate

as in 'you needin a hand wi that hen?

or 'you awright mate?'

i remember once up town holding the door open for a lassie, i said
'there you go hen' holding the door open for her to walk in first

'im not a chicken and i can open the door myself' was the reply

so i barged in front of her and shut the door in her face after saying 'fvck you then hen'

stupid trout that she was
 ForumFilly
Msg: 36
MA'AM
Posted: 1/15/2012 2:52:44 PM
^^^^^^^^^ Now I wouldn't mind being called a Lass or Lassie. My Aussie boyfriend calls me his 'Wacky Sheila'! But I don't think I'd be too enthused with being called a hen either. There must be another term that is slightly more appropriate in Scotland, isn't there?? I'd stick with the Missus, in that case!
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 37
MA'AM
Posted: 1/15/2012 4:44:01 PM
Jeez ma'am doesnt sound bad now that I hear "hen" really a tough old bird lol (I think Sean Connery is the only one that could pull that off here )
 Thee_Stranger
Msg: 38
MA'AM
Posted: 1/15/2012 7:10:57 PM
Simple.
Ma'am is proper and formal, and disregards whether you are married or not.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 39
view profile
History
MA'AM
Posted: 1/16/2012 5:11:53 AM
for all you lassies out in pof land heres a wee page of scots words
used to describe women and men

http://www.rampantscotland.com/parliamo/blparliamo_men.htm

read and be amazed that people who speak like this made up a good portion
of the founding father of america

gaun yirsel hen
 femaleconnection
Msg: 40
MA'AM
Posted: 1/16/2012 11:57:35 AM
I dont mind ma'am at all.

It only catches me off guard when it forces me to recall that I aint no 20 something anymore, however, I am logical enough to realise I really aint a 20 something anymore and I dont sweat this fact. I will never understand why any term of respect can be a bad thing. Id prefer to be called ma'am over the many, many other words Ive heard for an older woman these days.

I think women getting all up in arms over a term like this makes us all look like uptight biatches who will never be pleased no matter how hard others try.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 41
MA'AM
Posted: 1/16/2012 12:20:36 PM
Uh...Ma'am...I think you're being a bit hypercritical. How was the young man supposed to determine your status? He didn't know you, and yet he tried to be courteous and respectful. If you have ever worked in the customer service field, you would know that it isn't the easiest arena to ply a trade. Sorry that his comment gave you pause to reflect.>

So I ordered my sandwich & asked him about his choice of ma'am VS Miss, & how old he was...he told me that he says "ma'am" to everyone & even apologized. I said i was not offended in the least, but very curious.
I am glad to have cause to reflect. I have a brain & I use it ;0)
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 42
view profile
History
MA'AM
Posted: 1/16/2012 12:30:36 PM
I like Ma'am.

I actually get kind of ticked off if I'm out with a man and he gets called Sir and I get called Miss.

Ma'am is the female equivalent of Sir, and if you're going to call my guy Sir, you better call me Ma'am.

The other day a cute young guy who was hitting on me called me Ma'am, and I thought that was kind of amusing.
 trinity818
Msg: 43
MA'AM
Posted: 1/16/2012 3:45:22 PM
At least Ma'am is respectful. It really gripes me when a 20 something year old calls me Hon.

I've supervised in tech support/customer service for over 20 years. I trained my staff to appropriately address the customer as Sir or Ma'am.

It is especially important when you are in a position of attempting to instruct them on what to do. It's meant as a term of respect.
 raxarsr
Msg: 44
view profile
History
MA'AM
Posted: 1/16/2012 10:14:49 PM
,ma'am is the female equivelent of sir............nothing else
 DameWrite
Msg: 45
view profile
History
MA'AM
Posted: 1/27/2012 4:07:01 PM
If the person saying ma'am is in the hospitality business, in the military or from a different culture, I'm fine with it. If they're from my neck of the woods, it makes me think I said something too forcefully and they are mocking me with their answer i.e." Yes, ma'am!" Still waiting for the ma'am because I'm getting older, but I'll be fine with that.
 trinity818
Msg: 46
MA'AM
Posted: 1/28/2012 7:13:49 AM

Guys go from young man to sir.
First you state this...which seems to be a fair comparison. Sir is also a term of respect.

Then you go on to state this...
Men need to be referred to as young man or old geezer to comprehend the full scope of the matter

Are you comparing "old geezer" to "maam"? Do you really find "maam" to be that disrespectful, or did I misunderstand your point? I'm genuinely confused by your statement.
 HaloKitty
Msg: 47
view profile
History
MA'AM
Posted: 1/28/2012 2:44:47 PM
I get called "ma'am" and I'm 26. It does make me feel old :( but I'm not really insulted when someone says it. I'd prefer Miss, but I guess in the end, it doesn't really matter lol
 Padawan61
Msg: 48
view profile
History
MA'AM
Posted: 2/23/2012 8:45:45 PM
so if u r a male, what would your criteria be for using ma'am or miss?

Is this the companion thread to ... "Is it just me or does the term 'girl' seem odd 'at our age'??"

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14971274.aspx

If I was that young man, I would've said: "Hello woman, can I help you?" ... because it seems that you women get bent-out-of-shape over the most inconsequential of titles. And "woman" is what many of the female crowd over on that thread prefers to be called.
 red_fir
Msg: 49
MA'AM
Posted: 2/23/2012 10:56:05 PM
I call Ma'am frequently. Frankly its respectful. Few things in the world are more infuriating than someone assuming familiarity, (the old saw about familiarity breeds contempt is true (even worse gratuitous familiarity is a display of contempt before they even know you!)).

I would far prefer to be "Mister" "Sir" or "hey buddy" than have some fool I wouldn't offer a beer to, assume to call me by my given name in a false show of commonality.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 50
MA'AM
Posted: 2/24/2012 6:14:39 PM
LOL- Now I kid w/ the staff there, they all know POF but they don't do the forums...I told them about the forums & that I started this thread...we always have a good laugh about something on the days I get a sandwich there.

I don't find ma'am offensive, but my curious mind likes to know...and I got several answers here...as well as from sandwich shop staff...
 RERE1026
Msg: 51
view profile
History
MA'AM
Posted: 2/25/2012 8:57:51 AM
Ma'am or ladies are fine with me........hate being called "you guys".
 theforumfiend
Msg: 52
MA'AM
Posted: 2/25/2012 9:43:09 AM
Customer service reps have the damned if you do damned if you don't thing going against them. They are supposed to be polite and "sir" or "ma'am" are polite and respectful. Sincerely I prefer ma'am to Mrs because I'm not Mrs Anyone, but I am female.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > "MA'AM"