Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > I think most single moms are so hot.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 32
I think most single moms are so hot.Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
@ 31 and above. Ms. Mustard: I apologize. I'm a smart azz @ times. Ad nauseum. Correct. I agree. I know what I look for in a woman. Pretty much an individual choice. Agreed. I get p/o'd when folks refer to kids as baggage. But, that is an abbr. of you stage name. Let's try to be somewhat mellow with this thread eh? Who cares how a kid gets here? Birth under any circumstance is a gift.
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 33
I think most single moms are so hot.
Posted: 1/15/2012 7:42:09 PM
Why, thank you!

(Not technically as single Mom i suppose, but i will take the compliment ;) )

As for Moms being desperate & all that, ummmm...lol...no, not really.
never felt desperate for anyone, never settled for anyone below what i wanted, nor "grateful" to the men who have deigned to be in my life, only mutual appreciation on both sides.
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/15/2012 7:43:48 PM

Because she is constantly being exposed to the Creator's most wonderful
gift. The warmth of a child.

Fully agreed. I dont know what i did to be so greatly blessed, but i am sure glad i was chosen to recieve the beautful gift of a childs warmth & love.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/15/2012 8:30:27 PM
^^^^^ Much healthier than last night at this time. I was almost getting ready to play the theme from the Twilight Zone again.
 dadwithteens
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/15/2012 11:07:32 PM
They say women marry their fathers...
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/16/2012 6:36:53 AM
@ nr. 37 @ DAD w/ teens: How true. Kind of makes you wonder question the background of some posters/profilers eh? I can't tell you how many times I have sat here wondering "Wonder what her dad was like" or worse yet "was there a dad"? Times are changing though; more DADS are getting custody or at least joint. More DADS are taking active roles. More than ever before stay at home DADS are encouraged by positive social mores. Not right yet; but getting there. Makes me think of my x Father-in-Law. I don't feel to bad about that. Thanks again,DAD.
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/16/2012 6:41:48 AM
@ msg 40: Correction: Mustardmoon not Mustardmom. Hmmmm. Freudian?
 5150Rivergirl
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/16/2012 10:41:02 AM

One thing about a great single mom who juggles kids, career, meals, laundry,soccer, etc etc is their BS detector is a finally tuned machine....bring your A game!

RIPTIDE59
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/16/2012 12:37:40 PM
@ nr 46 If you would please, go to Over 45; Older women w/ young kids; msg nr.33
I would love to respond to this beautiful woman. But even I was at a loss for words.
Very humbling . Count your blessings.
 ontario_woman
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2012 1:54:59 PM
My daughter is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

She is NOT baggage!

While I empathize with men who may not feel ready to take on a ready-made family, I resent the implication of some in this thread that being a mother somehow makes me something less.

Everyone has their preferences. Some men prefer women who don't have children and some men prefer women who do have children. Having children does not make me inferior, it just makes me a different flavour than childless women.

Personally, I prefer single fathers. I find that I have far more in common with them.

Not only do I, as a single mother, find the assertions of some people that single parents are inferior offensive, but I also am offended as someone who took on the raising of someone else's children when I myself was a young, childless woman.

I spent 8 years raising my stepkids. In my heart, they will always be my oldest children. My relationship with their father was a nightmare, but for my stepkids, I will gladly go through it all again. I know that some of you in the "single parents are undesirable scum" may find it hard to believe, but it is possible to love children that are not biologically yours as your own children and to gain immense pleasure from it.
 susang909
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/16/2012 2:02:28 PM
They say women marry their fathers... Now HUNK! I have to disagree with you on that. You dont look nothing like my dad. lol
 rese1985
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/16/2012 5:09:05 PM
I want to thank everybody for the positive and mature post on this topic. I got 700 views, now thats amazing. I'm proud to be a single parent and all of yall seem to be also. Good luck with the new year and may this year be the best year.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/16/2012 5:16:35 PM
Now that is hilarious!

You started this thread to get views on your profile...
 rese1985
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/16/2012 5:22:22 PM
No I started this for people to view the topic and have a conversation. Most topics don't get as many views or replies. I like reading peoples thoughts. Please don't take messages out of context.
 greatwoman73
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/16/2012 5:30:31 PM
I will 2cd that us single mamas work very hard!!!
 RIPTIDE59
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/16/2012 9:17:21 PM
@msg 52 Hey, whatever your intentions. Congrats on the hits. Even if we were stroked.
It was pretty positive. I was sincere. Think most folks were. Best of all, got to interact with more POF whack jobs. LOL x 2!!!! LMAO!!!!
 rese1985
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/16/2012 10:11:47 PM
I agree with you and hopefully this forum continues without anymore negative. Its all about people posting their thoughts on the topic not what I say that was taking out of context.
 dad2stay
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/18/2012 7:35:30 AM
gaianotvenus

You are aware that there are just as many crappy mothers out there as there are crappy dads right?

And no, NO parent should be shamed into being a parent. If they want to be a parent then kudos to them but if not then isn't it best not to have them around than to risk hurting the kids or having them neglected?
 ontario_woman
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 7:49:04 AM

You are aware that there are just as many crappy mothers out there as there are crappy dads right?

Agreed. Bad parents come in both genders although the trend of bashing single mothers while idolizing single fathers leads me to believe that many people fail to recognize that bad parenting is a character issue, not a gender issue.

And no, NO parent should be shamed into being a parent. If they want to be a parent then kudos to them but if not then isn't it best not to have them around than to risk hurting the kids or having them neglected?

While I agree that it is not in the best interests of the child to force someone to be involved in their life that obviously wants nothing to do with them, I don't feel that they should be absolved of their responsibilities. It goes without saying that the absent parent should at least contribute financially to the upbringing of their children, but I think that a degree of social shame should also be in effect for not being more involved with their children.

It should NOT be acceptable to walk away from your children.
 dad2stay
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/18/2012 10:28:05 AM
People give more recognition to single dads because traditionally we are not the active parent so when a man does step up and go above and beyond what is expected it is seen as something to be recognized.

While at the same time when a woman whose traditional role is to be a good parent chooses not to be it is that much more damaging to her character as it is assumed genetically shed be the better at this role than the child's father

Now I personally see people as individuals, there are good people and bad and I do not believe one side or the other is better with exception to the fact that it is a relatively new idea for dads to be the more active parent in the rearing of there offspring so many people still do not know what they are capable of simply because their fathers did not play that role

As for support, of course the absent or less active parent should help to raise the child be it physically or financially that's just a given in any conversation pertaining to single parents.

In California the ONLY way for either parent to be absolved of their financial and physical duties as a parent is for someone else to take their legal place (adoption) California wants every child to have 2 financially obligated parents
 ontario_woman
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 10:44:21 AM
Dad2stay: I agree that much of the differences between how single fathers and single mothers are viewed primarily stems from the fact that up until recently, mothers were the primary caregivers of children. Single mothers face the same challenges as single fathers and it's unfair that single fathers get recognition for their sacrifices while single mothers get dumped on as evidenced in these forums.

Parental roles are changing. Although women still perform the bulk of childcare duties, fathers are becoming more involved and many of them are assuming the role of the primary caregiver. I believe that these changing roles benefit everyone. Children and fathers enjoy a closer relationship and mothers get some much needed help. (I'm using an example of two responsible parents)
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 11:25:47 AM

Single mothers face the same challenges as single fathers and it's unfair that single fathers get recognition for their sacrifices while single mothers get dumped on as evidenced in these forums.

Hold on just a minute.......it isn't all rosy for men on this side of the fence. Even though we may be stepping up to the parenting plate, men by far are still treated worse when it comes to family law and things like paying child support. Many of us that are good parents to our kids still have to support ex wives financially even though we have joint or shared custody of our kids........

From a legal point of view, men have a loooong way to go before we see any equality in terms of parenting, never mind getting recognition for our sacrifices as good parents despite these handicaps.......
 ontario_woman
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 11:45:57 AM

it isn't all rosy for men on this side of the fence.

I never said it was.

men by far are still treated worse when it comes to family law and things like paying child support. Many of us that are good parents to our kids still have to support ex wives financially

That wasn't my experience. The laws are gender neutral and most judges are men. When I went to family court, my ex had the exact same rights that I did and the same chance to obtain custody. For reasons I won't go into here, he didn't obtain custody.

As for child support, my experience has been different. Non-custodial mothers have to pay child support too as they should IMHO. Both parents should contribute to the financial support of their children.

In my situation, my ex hasn't paid a dime in child support for years and the authorities have all but given up on getting it from him. There were some pretty difficult financial times where I was struggling to put food on my daughter's plate and provide for her. Even a little bit of help would have made a huge difference. So much for the courts siding with the mothers.

As for supporting the ex-spouse. Spousal support is usually awarded when there is a significant difference in income. This can go both ways. I know several women who have to pay spousal support to their exes. One of them was severely abused by her ex. Cops were called and charges were laid, but she still had to pay support.
 CaliTabitha
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/21/2012 1:30:15 PM
Very true; we are more appreciative, good hearting and loving! I wish more men noticed that!!! We tend to be goal orientated as we have to be independent. What guy wants to date a single Mum (I'm British, so it's Mummy!), who has no job or goals. And why as a single Mum would you not want that for yourself?

But, still waiting to find 'that' guy who appreciates these things.;)
 Cherrybomb01
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/22/2012 4:32:03 AM
Thanks for the positive comments, and I am a single mom with a good head on my shoulders, who has her dating cycle on pause for now, cause my children are much more important to me than a man at this point. Its hard to find an honest, cool, trustworthy strong caring gentleman that wont run away just cause of the fact that you have kids. And that doesnt try to put himself in front of your kids. If theres such a man, I would like to meet him. Lol...no offense to the men in here that here that posted comments in here. Again its nice to know that theres men out there that respect the fact & have respect for woman that have kids from a previous relationship. And that can take kids that arent their own under their wing and treat them the way they should be treated. Awesome job guys!
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > I think most single moms are so hot.