Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yates02514
Msg: 70
Dating sites good or bad for dating self esteem?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I think online dating in my 30's is depressing. I only try to go after the attractive ones though
 kj521
Msg: 71
Dating sites good or bad for dating self esteem?
Posted: 9/19/2015 9:07:34 AM
Mr. Yates?

I 'm just wondering if you see a connection between these two statements. :)

"I think online dating in my 30's is depressing."

And.....

" I only try to go after the attractive ones though"
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2015 5:39:50 AM
yates

you are only 32 and you find it all depressing. Wait until you are 52 but hopefully by then you wont need a dating site like this. Why would you not go for those you find attractive??? No brainer.
 1_35M
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/18/2015 11:21:25 AM
My self esteem has gone to an all time low due to dating sites. It shows you how many people are in your area and looking. Then there is no communication for 5 years. It makes you wonder what is wrong right?
 Paladin2015
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/18/2015 12:42:04 PM
Nah dating sites are a blast once you get used to the fact you arent getting any dates .... some people on the forums are hilarious.....talking to smart witty pretty women?...what could be wrong with that?

Oh yeah.....they are always a thousand miles away.... : /
 sealady111
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/18/2015 5:03:21 PM
^^^ As are the smart, witty handsome men.
 yates02514
Msg: 76
Posted: 10/26/2015 2:02:38 PM
I guess I should have put I don't get a lot of replies from the attractive women that I choose
 siisaa
Msg: 77
Posted: 6/22/2018 11:51:04 PM
If a website derails your self-esteem, your self-esteem wasn't that intact to begin with. I could see how continual online rejection could erode a person's self-worth but in those cases, do something else that builds your confidence instead of tearing it down. From my experience, most highly confident people who are successful at finding long-term romantic partners were not solely dependent on dating sites while single.
 MachIMustangII
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/23/2018 6:35:00 AM
poor luck at dating can hit those who feel their ability to procreate is very important--or wh0 are really looking to have kids. Ironically, most people come to dating sites after they haven't had luck elsewhere. for some, therefore, its all a self-fulfilling prophesy--they're just continuing their luck, and now putting their dating eggs into just one basket.

"most highly confident people successful at finding long term partners, were not solely depending on dating sites while single"

>>chances are, they were confident from focusing on things in their life that weren't about dating. Have a successful career, for example, and a coworker you share interests in common with might notice and be attracted, while you are too busy to try to hit on them and turn them off.
 siisaa
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/23/2018 9:23:52 AM

chances are, they were confident from focusing on things in their life that weren't about dating. Have a successful career, for example, and a coworker you share interests in common with might notice and be attracted, while you are too busy to try to hit on them and turn them off.

Exactly. They were confident from setting goals and accomplishing them, and just meeting a partner while they going through their day-to-day.

From the 17-page "short man prejudice" thread, it reminds me of a guy I know who is 5'3"...MAYBE 5'4". Anyway, he has no problem getting a girlfriend. He owns a bar, pizza parlor, his own home and a few pieces of property on the outlying islands of the Puget Sound. My ex and I used to frequent his bar regularly and this man came across as very confident, articulate, personable & cool-as-hell. When my mom, dad and cousin visited me from SoCal, I brought them to this bar and they all liked him too. He had no shortage of attractive women around, especially owning a popular bar in downtown Seattle. And so what if he was short? He was out grinding, owning businesses/property, setting goals & accomplishing them, which raises confidence and in turn, made him an attractive prospect to real-life women. Online, he'd most likely just get ignored.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2018 9:32:37 AM
I find it very "Hit/Miss" usually a miss. Good thing I like my own company, lol
 ssm508
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2018 9:49:17 AM

Depends. It can be bad for self esteem if you are thin-skinned or have very high expectations.

Exactly. Having high expectations is often setting up yourself for failing to meet said expectations and frustration.
 JGL209
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2018 7:05:15 PM
I've got some action and even a short lived ( 6 month) relationship from this site. So if anything it pumps up my self esteem. I just basically think I wont find the one on here. It's more difficult to seal the deal than it is to talk to people. I'm a friendly person so I'll talk to almost anyone unless they are mean to me. I got use to getting rejected on here it makes me think a lot of people on here are just here to kill time and not seriously looking for someone.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >