Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does one fare better with a paid membership here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Aura1shine
Msg: 65
Does one fare better with a paid membership here?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Match has description of desired his/her date qualities that reduce much of the guessing but again there is no intention there like POF. So, it is gain some and loose in each dating site features.
 VB_Mermaid1974
Msg: 66
Does one fare better with a paid membership here?
Posted: 5/19/2012 8:58:53 PM
No it does not make a difference. I will not pay again.
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/21/2012 6:07:58 AM
Several people have stated they avoid the paid members. No one stated they look for the paid members. One blogger wrote that the paid membership can be hidden. If the payers have an issue with being identified as a paid member and are hiding their membership then you know being a paid membership has no advantage.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/21/2012 8:02:12 AM
I sure as hell wouldn't pay for this site, and don't understand why anyone would. But that doesn't mean I am going to discriminate against those who do. (unlike the paranoid "red flag!!" lunatics this site seems to be plagued with)
 edgedreality
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/21/2012 8:12:40 AM

I don't know but I do know that I can be ignored for free. Free is good.
 compt77
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2012 5:27:30 PM
POF claims "Number of people viewing your profile triples. " however this is not true. Before upgrade I could see who viewed me, but not time and date. Still there were more than 5 new views per day. After paying for the upgrade, maybe one or two views per day.

These are just views. Not related to content

So, "Number of people viewing your profile triples. " implies the system will provide some measure of priority of display to your profile, however the facts prove this is not true.
Another benefit "Ultra Match" -- wholly less than useless. Apparently just a gimmick. Maybe meant to be funny or ???

I paid thinking it would increase the visibility of the profile. Since I am at a disadvantage I figure 1 of 1000 women viewing the profile might be interested so I needed to get the numbers up, however paying only made my profile less visible. I removed any "badge" but it is possible some members may find a paid member to be less desirable to view.

Bottom line - don't waste your money on something that will lessen your chances
 thedude3030
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/10/2013 10:10:14 AM
Paid Membership is not worth it. If you want to see some of your messages get unread and deleted, ouch! then go for it. As for writing all about yourself, that is pointless, most people will simply look at your pic and decide if they want to reply or not.
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 72
Posted: 10/15/2013 5:27:46 PM
Paid membership is only worth it if all others on the site are paying. Most aren't...so your paying dues is being met with ambivalence by the hordes of people who aren't. I'm not going to advertise other sites here...but if everyone isn't forced to pay then there isn't any clear advantage to paying for a dating site. As I see it.
 genie270
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/15/2013 5:54:41 PM
There's no point to paid membership here. The gender ratio will still remain skewed and men will still get a bunch of emails read/deleted, unread/deleted or worse, profile blocked. I don't know why men would pay for this site. Or anyone for that matter. I mean, you still have access to the basic features and really that's all you need, if you ask me.
 chill78
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/16/2013 2:29:19 PM
No. A free member can still do all of the necessary things. Create a profile, look at other profiles, email other people, have up to 8 photos etc.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2013 3:36:31 PM
I've been on other paid sites and the same guys are on them too, so I'm not paying. It's interesting, I'm now on another free site (Marcus advertises heavily on that one...thought that was interesting since he claims it's "free.") and mostly the same guys are on there, however, they have what POF used to have...little point gifts, you can see if they read your message, forum postings on your profile, but their forums are kinda strange. But now they're starting to charge for "upgrades"...maybe going the way of POF? Who knows; we'll see.
 seafoodandeatit
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2013 3:54:31 PM
Why would you?
MODs NEVER reply if you have a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have emailed 4 or 5 times and NEVER get a reply!
so you pay good money and have a problem , good luck with that! lol
 thedude3030
Msg: 77
Posted: 10/20/2013 7:10:54 PM
right I was a total dumbass to pay for the site lol, does not help at all only makes it works imo... That has to be the worst feature why would I want to see if any of my emails were unread and deleted I mean ouch lol. So many more guys than girls on these sites anyway.
 nyceguy85
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/21/2013 6:01:08 AM
Only a fool would pay for membership to a dating website where less than half the women actually respond to personal messages.
 chill78
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/21/2013 7:14:51 AM
I've been on other paid sites and the same guys are on them too, so I'm not paying.

I have been on Match and POF at the same time. However I was more active on Match since I was paying for it. I'm sure some other people that were on POF and a paid dating site at the same time were doing the same thing.
 soo-girl
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/21/2013 11:51:39 AM

Hmmmmmmmm.....i was under the impression my profile is hidden for personal reasons, however i have noticed that you can only hide your profile if you are an upgraded member?

I think if your profile was hidden prior to the change, it will still be hidden. Mine has been hidden forever. I checked it in edit mode and the message that I need to 'click here' to unhide my profile is still there (along with the new message that you now need to upgrade to use the hidden feature), so I assume my profile is still in hiding.
 forumfella
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/21/2013 3:03:00 PM
Paid for the upgrade last go-round on here, was curious whether emails were being read, only to find out they were unread AND deleted, what a kick to the stomache, after that I quit emailing others long messages, and no more paid upgrades for this fella.
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/28/2013 9:53:19 PM
My profile got sent to someone and I had it hidden. So I paid the stupid money they want now to keep it hidden.
 ohenryx
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2013 12:56:39 PM
I have not read every single message in this thread. I did read page 1, 4 and 5. So pardon me if this has already been mentioned, and I simply missed it.

The number one advantage to a paid membership is the ability to see if you have already sent a message to a woman. Right there on her profile page, down at the bottom, is a box that says:

View Our Interaction

Last Online
10/29/2013 8:36 AM

Last Viewed You
10/28/2013 2:43 AM

Last Message
Have they messaged you? Not yet
Have you messaged them? Not yet

Favorites
Are they in your favorites? Not yet
Have they added you as a favorite? Not yet

Date Feedback
Have they left you date feedback? Not yet
Have you left date feedback? Not yet

Meet Me
Wants to Meet You: Not yet
You Want to Meet: Not yet

This one box, added to the bottom of every profile you view, is worth the cost of a paid membership.
 rosewood_girl
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/3/2013 1:48:21 AM
This place is a joke. With the span of less than two months, I had one guy leave me at a restarunt. He just took off. Said he needed to get his cigarettes and never came back. He left me with the bill. Which was stealing. Then tried to call me later saying he thought I was very pretty, but his friend was in the hospital and didn't know how to tell me. Then I went on a date with another guy. I really liked him, and it seemed like he liked me too. I left him a comment on his facebook, and he took me off. Apaprently he had a girlfriend and didn't want her finding out about me. Yeah, why pay extra for scum?
 Ainen
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/3/2013 5:06:33 AM
Ohenry, you can get most of that info for free. Contact history lets you see who you messaged first, who messaged you first, and the first contact days.

If you're not sure you already wrote someone, you can limit the age range to that person's age.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/3/2013 8:54:30 AM

msg108: Apparently he had a girlfriend and didn't want her finding out about me. Yeah, why pay extra for scum?

Seriously, girl, you won’t fare better with the paid services here if you’re fishing with the wrong bait.

Get a profile review, get a fresh start and you might change your luck…

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingForum94.aspx
 Maycontainbeer
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/3/2013 8:25:38 PM
I don't think the paid sites are any better.
 localRenoite12
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/3/2013 11:56:56 PM
Not here but sites based on subscriptions tend to be more serious. People are on there to find relationships and not for a popularity contest to see how much their inbox fills up.
 Archiver
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/4/2013 9:08:19 AM
I see fewer scammers on POF than on Cupid and Match. I do like the benefits of a paid or upgraded membership, but it is certainly not essential.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Does one fare better with a paid membership here?