Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 robin-hood
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Make me one of your Favorites but never send me an email.Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Jenny

I'm in agreement. When you favor someone, at least in my case, its a quality, writing, or something of merit I like. My last favorite was a young horse trainer less than 1/2 my age.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Make me one of your Favorites but never send me an email.
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:24:21 PM
Sometimes I'm tempted to save profiles of men who wear old, frayed, too short,shorts who also like to fit some sort of bragging in about how they think they can date much younger women.
 foxonatrain
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:26:18 PM
men who wear old, frayed, too short,shorts

That image will unfortunately haunt me for a while.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:39:29 PM
This site needs to include some laughs ;)
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/12/2012 10:23:38 PM
i see it as a way to bookmark people to get back at later with an witty email
 fineattitude
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:32:20 PM
Thank you, Jenny! I laughed shockingly loud and long at that ^!
 melodyof_k
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/27/2012 12:55:38 PM
I used to favorite people for many reasons.
first....if they are my forum friends or fav people just to write to.
second reason was if something in their profile was something I liked...a poem, a great joke...
anything I might really like and want to refer back to one day.

these days I usually favorite someone if I wish them to look at my profile and write to me first as I dont like making first contacts too often except to people here in the forums.
Most of you forum regualars are my favs. (not that I have a fav list anymore...but maybe i will start again..I only have i think 2 people on it now)
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2012 1:23:10 PM
You're welcomed fineattitude :) I love real LOLs !
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/18/2012 12:14:00 PM
You should also note that there are times where the system will say "message sent" but not actually send the message. This has been a sticky point with me, and the site adminstrator has admitted that the system LIES to users as a way to manage spam. There are other threads addressing this problem. (http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts3133546.aspx)

Personally, I only favorite people who I have attempted to send a message to (whether or not it has actually gone through).

The only way to confirm that a message was actually sent is if it shows up in your sent mailbox. Relying on the "contact history" isn't any good either -- as I have seen cases where a message was in the sent mailbox but the person's profile never got added to the contact history.

Basically, the web site is broken and the admin won't admit his errors and/or has intentionally broken it.

There may also be people who use the favorites list as a bookmark, intending to come back and contact someone, but they never do. What I'm saying is that maybe they did try, but the message didn't go through, and I'm not talking about messages blocked by filters.
 AirForceSP
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/22/2012 2:09:37 PM
Simply an ice breaker because no other feature exists to flirt/wink/wave women constantly complain about short messages and then say they are weirded out if you favorite them without talking to them first.....I have never read a man being creeped out by unattractive women fav'ing them....its happens to everyone as we all have our preferences....but women seem to ask for novels, elect to not respond to those novels and then complain when men default to "Hi" as an ice breaker because their profile says "dont fav me without talking to me first".....

Given the time it takes to craft a witty, thoughtful heartfelt message....the least someone could do is respond with a no thanks....I understand men here flip and say mean things when rejected (stupid guys anyway) but you can easily block those guys after sending the no thanks in the first place....just saying

Best of luck to everyone
 serenadegod
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 9:40:58 PM
Yes it is but I am new and did just that.Guilty.
Profiling is a bit bizarre for a newby.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/23/2012 9:25:11 AM
Adding you as favorit don't really mean much. It just that they think your profile is a little more intresting then most other people. The intrest could be anything. From how funny you look in the pic (they wanted to show there friends) to maybe you posted something intresting. There was some intrest about something in your profile. If they realy wanted to talk to you or get to know you. They would have send you a message.
If they just looked at your profile and moved on. For me that means they have no intrest in your profile what so ever. Same as sending you a NOT intrested email.. No reason to over analyze what people think... Follow what people actions are..
 comesandgoes
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/24/2012 1:09:22 AM
i get a few "meet me" email alerts, and i've tried sending a message to about 3 or 4 of them, and only one has replied.. it's kind of strange to me, maybe it's due to misclicking?

i just got one today from a girl with "caucasian only" ... kind of strange to me because i'm caucasian without the "cauc."
 paintroses
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2012 5:05:38 AM
I can see adding someone to favorites so that its easier to find later....but I have to admit, 90% of those adding me to favorites do not send a hello later. I dont get the reasoning behind it. Maybe its like TAG YOUR IT?
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/25/2012 10:55:53 AM
RE; #76 - See my prior post at #71: There are instances where a message is sent, and the system even says so, but no message is actually transmitted. PoF intentionally LIES about this. About half of these are due to the spam filter.

For example: Suppose the message was, "Let's meet at the river bank." Because it has the word "bank" in it (even though it doesn't refer to a place where money is kept in this context), it's considered spam and the system will lie to you by saying "message sent" when in fact it was not. I have found that once such a mistake is made, the system will silently discard future messages to that same recipient without notice. PoF's admin won't admit that it does this.

I can't speak for others, but I only favorite people whom I have messaged (whether or not it went through) and make a point of disclosing that in my profile.

So, if you wonder why someone who has favorited you has not sent a message, maybe they tried and PoF lied to him/her about the message being sent - and is silently dropping all future attempts.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/27/2012 11:42:19 AM
You don't get it. Maybe he has tried to message you and it failed to go through because it was "spammy" when it really wasn't.
 Rain587
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/20/2012 11:22:11 AM
I've been guilty of this as well. I receive emails so and so wants to meet me so I put on my favorites meaning to message them later but then get side tracked. Since I'm here mostly for the forums right now I tend to forget to search or check back.

I have messaged a few that put me as a favorite only to get no reply or a vague "hi".

The part that stumps me is the man that messages me and I'm the opposite of what his profile says he wants or he's extremely active wanting someone the same and I'm not (I'm not lazy just not into extreme sports.) I usually feel they are taking second or third best until what they want comes along. It's not a self-esteem issue. It's a question of why if their profile states their woman "must......"
 justdeb1111
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/30/2012 10:24:39 PM
yeah. Boggles my mind too. I have 54 who say they want to meet me since I joined the site and 18 place me as a favorite.

Have had one message me who placed me as a favorite, we sent emails back and forth and I really liked him. Then he apparently noticed I was looking for some sort of a relationship though he was out of state and told me that he wasn't looking. Last I heard of him.

As to the ones who wanted to meet me. One messaged me. Nice enough guy but we didn't appear compatible from his profile.

I don't understand this stuff either. Maybe the gal who posted that they were testing the water and didn't want to deal with rejection was right. I've added 3 as favorites though--mostly just cuz I REALLY like looking at their profile pics :))))))))
 Rain587
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/31/2012 8:09:30 AM
I remove them off my favorites whether I put them or they do if no reply or the conversation never evolves past "hi how are you?" on his part. I'll comment on a mutual interest and ask a question and yet the reply is, "how are you today?" I finally tell them good luck searching.

I have several wanting me to call. I know I can block my number, however, I have an iPhone that drains the battery and after so many charges I have to take it in to replace. I want to see if I even want to talk on the phone with someone. I'll know how he answers on here.

My profile has I'm taking a breather right now. I'm not searching and yet I'm receiving more emails and being put as a favorite then when I was actively looking. Some are upset I don't want to meet right now. Tells me they really don't read profiles or it becomes a challenge.
 Brodigy
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/31/2012 8:18:24 AM
I added a woman to my faves years ago, she responded and we ended up in a relationship.

Since then that has NEVER worked ...

From this I have concluded that most women , as in 99%, will not respond simply because you added her to your faves.

I still do it and I still buy lottery tickets, LOL

Why do I do it you ask ?

I simply got tired of sending msgs and getting no response. I have resigned myself to the realization that if I ever do meet anyone it will be out there.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/4/2012 6:41:37 PM

....but I have to admit, 90% of those adding me to favorites do not send a hello later. I dont get the reasoning behind it. Maybe its like TAG YOUR IT?

Yes. It gets a lot of people to look at my profile.
 James44P
Msg: 73
Posted: 11/13/2012 11:38:13 PM
If I see people on my favorites, I try to contact most of them unless they have a really scary profile. I just say thanks; I guess some just want photos, or bookmarkings on someone; It's kind of strange to me too.
 Liv2luvU
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/14/2012 8:30:43 AM
Does it always boil down to that? There are cases where your partner wanted the exact opposite and just used you for everything else......
Show ALL Forums  > California  >