Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 2
The One that Got AwayPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I gave up the couldas,wouldas,shouldas longggggg time ago. Learn from my mistakes,,,yep. Look back and wish,,,,nope. Though there is the odd evening that one of my past lovers does pop into my imagination while I am,,,,ummmmm,thinking. Yeah,,,thinking.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 5:04:29 PM
So far, all of mine have been more along the lines of "boy, I'll never go for THAT line of crud again!"

All of the ones who got away, that I might have wanted in my life, all got away clean. Some married other guys I knew, some married other gals I knew (lots of bi's and gay women in DC), most just moved beyond the event horizon. But then I can be a bit on the picky side.
 laskoboo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 5:13:15 PM
none of that here of "the one that got away"...
I was mature for my age, an old soul from a young age... if anything I was the one
who got away !
I dumped lots of men, and never regreted any of it, because I knew they were not for me. No regrets.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 5
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 5:22:11 PM
Honestly, at this point in my life; no.

Anyone that I dated/had a relationship that didn't work out -it was for a very good reason...

It feels good to not have any past longing weighing on my heart
 Debisusanne
Msg: 6
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 5:40:46 PM
Yes.. there was "the one" that got away..

I dumped him over his commitment issues..I did not want to be with someone who didnt love me as much as I him. He had made it clear that we were together till it wasnt fun anymore.. THAT made it not fun for me..

He is single now.. and has hit on me.. contacts me on facebook .. and i think back with fond memories on our good times. But i wont go back there again.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 7
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 5:47:55 PM
No, I can honestly say that hasn't been a man in my life that I still long for or compare his qualities to other men. In fact, all the men I've known throughout my life come up very short when compared to the man in my life now. None of them come close to being the man he is. I think of all the others as stepping stones and learning blocks that brought me to this man and enabled me to truly appreciate all his wonderful qualities. This man I would be devastated to lose.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 9
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 6:33:14 PM
My answer is no.

And MissGrayious1 ... I love that answer.
 five-marie
Msg: 11
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 6:58:58 PM
Not one man, not one quality. I miss different things about each of my ex's.
 coyotefeller
Msg: 12
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 7:53:28 PM

then I get on the phone with a good friend who gives me a mental
smack upside the head and reminds me what a jerk he was in the end.

When you have no sense it's always good to have a friend who does ! lol
 qualityl
Msg: 14
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 8:54:26 PM
I totally agree with you espressoshot. I think that people come into your life for a reason. Life lessons or Destiny, not sure? I really think that god put them in your path of life to either learn a lesson, fall in love, or maybe a past life experience. But you must have needed and wanted to spend time with this partner. You might have even prayed for the perfect man. Is there a perfect man?
I believe people get scared in relationships if you start developing feelings. Some people give up to soon and just jump back in the big game of dating. In my dating experiences, I seem to protect my heart and need to take things slow. I guess I am very picky. To really get to know a man, and then begin to trust him. Then I can be the best partner and understand that we are only on this earth for a limited time. Best to enjoy life why you can! Has anyone ever felt that they might have known this person in a past life?
 qualityl
Msg: 16
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 10:08:29 PM
I agree, the world of dating is big. Being in love is not finding a perfect person, but finding an imperfect person perfect!

Remember: One who knows one's own heart knows the equivalent of every wise saying. Maffers stated "Never return or longed for one that I broke up with". Every person heals in a different way. Sometimes breaking up makes you realize how much you miss him, or how quick you do not want to get into another one.
 smokincigars
Msg: 17
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/19/2012 10:48:25 PM
I can think of one or two that got away, one that I left and shouldn't, and one I never had but probably could have. I remember them all fondly, and wouldn't mind finding them again.

There are others I remember not as fondly, and I'm glad (in a couple of cases very glad) we parted.
 ForumsCreeper
Msg: 18
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/20/2012 10:20:53 PM
Just one.
12 years later, she is still in my heart, even though its now unrealistic for either of us to persue, we still have random emails just to see how each other is doing. It may be hanging on (for either or both) but i would have it no other way.
We have a cheesy agreement, when we hit 70, we will get back together agian. Ahhh, 21 more years.
Used to be a saying out there a few years ago, it was something like, under the wire. It was a term about the one that never got out of the heart.
Does anyone remember what it is?
 Yankee again
Msg: 27
The One that Got Away
Posted: 3/7/2012 9:22:55 PM
No one can ever compare to the one that got away.... So i am greatful for some of his qualities in others.
 JohnnyJolt
Msg: 29
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 3/9/2012 11:53:06 PM
Yeah, and I keep asking myself, "What do you do when you found your soul mate but you wern't hers"

She left me close to eight years ago and I haven't been able to get serious about anyone since. I come on here every once in a while to look, but then I ask myself , "Why bother?" and leave again.

I'm now so afraid to try, because I don't want to get again.

So yeah, the one that got away will probably haunt me for a long, long time.
The One that Got Away
Posted: 3/10/2012 12:17:57 AM
Love the Kati Peri song with Diego Luna, The one that got away. I thought about it many a times. My ex-husband's brother was into me, didnt give him a change because he never spoked to me directly and back than I had issues with age, he was younger by a couple of months. And by the time I realized it, his brother and I were already seeing each other , his brother was 10 yrs older. His brother was an alcoholic which I realized a few months into our marriage. And I realized his brothers love when during one of my ex drunk episodes, his brother confronted him and told him to get himself together if he really loved me and that he stood aside because he believed I was his brothers salvation. When his brother would get drunk he would tell my to leave him and go with his brother. His brother was a kind, handy-man, funny, smart, and a romantic person. There didnt seem anything that he coudnt do. I believed he was the one that got away. Its funny he llooked a little like Diego Luna but with a more stronger body. His hair always in his face. My marriage lasted almost 3 yrs.
 jmark4
Msg: 32
The One that Got Away
Posted: 3/10/2012 1:27:08 AM
This is a great post. I did; and it was something I regret but you have to move on and not beat yourself up about it.

Things happen because of our choices; not for a reason; and sometimes we make the wrong choice.

Life goes on and we live and learn and we grow and make better choices.
 Maleman999
Msg: 36
The One that Got Away
Posted: 3/10/2012 8:27:39 AM
I don't fantasize about anyone in the past. If circumstances were different and people didn't let "The One" get away, chances are half of marriages to "The One" would still end up in divorce. Most people go into marriage thinking they are marrying "The One". After a while, about half of those with "The One" becomes "The Mistake". A lot of people like to fantasize about people from their past because they are not happy with themselves in the present. It's best to fix the present instead of dreaming of what could've been way back when or trying to relive the past. The past is best left in the past.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 37
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 3/10/2012 8:46:02 AM
All of my ex's I would not go back to.
I still hear about one of them every now and then and it just reinforces the fact that I did dodge a bullet...
She wasn't evil or anything, it's just that she now leads a life way different from my own. We would have been miserable and she was wise to break up with me. She is married happily now. I don't regret our time together.
 GarnerGirl71
Msg: 42
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/24/2012 10:38:33 PM
I don't have any one particular man that I can say "THAT is what I want!" But I do have traits and characteristics from each man I dated seriously that I would like to see in a future relationship. This guy used to play his guitar and sing Johnny Cash songs to me, this one could make me laugh until I cried, this one we would lie in bed and talk all night long, and this one could fix anything if he set his mind to it.
 FastReb
Msg: 45
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/27/2012 8:42:33 PM
Yeah, there is one. Twenty years ago, we were both recently divorced and I was recently out of the Army. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize that due to her divorce, she needed more attention and affirmation that she was an amazing woman than I was giving her. I know she later remarried and I heard they had a daughter. I moved on, remarried and had children too. However, usually about the time of year that we met, I sometimes have a few fleeting moments where I think of what might have been or where she is now, then I get on with life.
 mcwr
Msg: 46
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/28/2012 8:28:07 AM
Not really. But there were girls I should have dated that were interested. I can't say that they were "the one", because I didn't know them.
 cookie22222
Msg: 49
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/23/2013 12:34:17 PM
The old high school sweetheart, that's kinda universal isn't it?
There was another one a few years ago, I still get occasional one line emails -how are you? Time and place...but it's nice to know it was real, isn't it?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >