Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The "One that Got Away"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whisky_River
Msg: 43
The One that Got AwayPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Choices with No Regrets!!

That's how I look at it...any choices I made were done at the time with great thought behind it...not just on a whim.
 playfulpete
Msg: 44
The One that Got Away
Posted: 5/17/2012 3:15:39 PM
Ahhh yes.When we were not together,she was the only one i thought about,got along very well together.Wish i had been much wiser then,
 VTECturbo
Msg: 45
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 5/17/2012 3:24:23 PM
There is one, and I compare everyone to her. That's partly why I can't be in a relationship. Nobody compares.
 playfulpete
Msg: 46
The One that Got Away
Posted: 5/17/2012 3:32:14 PM
You are so right VTECturbo,she was one for me and i let her get away.I guess life goes on.
 CJinCentralPa
Msg: 47
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 5/17/2012 4:06:18 PM
For me it was "the one who blew it"...sad part is it was a perfect storm of issues on her part that could have been avoided. She is a good person but she let her problems get the best of her. Some things cannot be forgiven. (and I am a majorly forgiving guy)

I do think of her from time to time because we are still friends and make each other laugh and I hope the next woman I develop a relationship with has the good qualities she has.
 organicquestionmark
Msg: 48
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 5/17/2012 4:20:11 PM
I try not to dwell on the one that......didn't "get" away......but that I "gave" away.

It was many years ago and due to my lack of self-knowledge and understanding of my "issues" (unknown to me at the time)........I ended a sincerely TRUE love relationship.

We stayed in touch for many years but once he got re-married, we stopped all contact......as it should be.

Do I regret it?

DaYum! "Regret" is a big word.............I guess, if I'm honest about it? Yes. I regret that I hurt someone so dear who had no idea what the heck was going on (though neither did I at the time).

He re-married and I'm assuming is happy. I'm sure he is! He was (is) a happy man! And his wife is damn lucky to have him (as I'm sure he is to have her).

Wish I'd seen myself in that light at the time...........
 larissan04
Msg: 49
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/24/2012 9:54:56 PM
oh yes, there was one man that seems to be the measure by which all others are judged. he seemed perfect for me in every conceivable way, but of course, things did not work out. truth be told, he just did not feel the same way about me, and even though he strung me a long quite brutally for quite a while, i eventually had enough of him. still, sometimes i can't help but wonder to myself, "what would it have been like?" but since i do not believe in unrequited love, i push such thoughts out of my head and get busy doing whatever it is i am doing. you simply can not let regrets, or the things that could have and should have been get in the way of living life in the present. my attitude is that i have fallen in love before, and i will again. there is no need to wallow in the lost opportunities and "what ifs."
 GarnerGirl71
Msg: 50
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/24/2012 10:38:33 PM
I don't have any one particular man that I can say "THAT is what I want!" But I do have traits and characteristics from each man I dated seriously that I would like to see in a future relationship. This guy used to play his guitar and sing Johnny Cash songs to me, this one could make me laugh until I cried, this one we would lie in bed and talk all night long, and this one could fix anything if he set his mind to it.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 51
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/25/2012 6:21:44 AM
I have no one from the past that I feel that way about.

I did learn a lot from each (some more than others) but I have no desire to repeat, nor regrets that I left.

I'm exactly where I need to be right now and life is pretty darn good. My focus right now is on appreciating the guy I'm with so I have no regrets in the future.
 hahahahahaaaa
Msg: 52
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/25/2012 12:15:38 PM
I think there were several moments in my life that I had thought "he's the one that got away," only to find someone else who exceeded the past guy that I dated. But as I'm getting older, the choice of men are dwindling and I'm sure maybe one day I will have more of those "one that got away" moments. In the end, dating can be explained by economics. If I'm desperate and the men available to me are limited, I'm sure I will regret some of the guys that slipped through my fingers in the past. However, if I have plenty of choices and am not desperate, I'm sure I would feel very differently.
 pfif
Msg: 53
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/25/2012 7:58:44 PM
Only two childhood sweethearts come to mind. I'd have to think
about this some more.

Heh, I bumped into one about a decade ago, and without a thought,
I embraced her dearly, just for a half second. She took it well. I'm
sure she was astonished.

The other one I unfortunately bumped into when I'd had too much
to drink, in my mid 20's. I probably told her way too much. Complex
matter, that. Again, I think she was just surprised to hear it.
 FastReb
Msg: 54
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/27/2012 8:42:33 PM
Yeah, there is one. Twenty years ago, we were both recently divorced and I was recently out of the Army. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize that due to her divorce, she needed more attention and affirmation that she was an amazing woman than I was giving her. I know she later remarried and I heard they had a daughter. I moved on, remarried and had children too. However, usually about the time of year that we met, I sometimes have a few fleeting moments where I think of what might have been or where she is now, then I get on with life.
 mcwr
Msg: 55
The One that Got Away
Posted: 7/28/2012 8:28:07 AM
Not really. But there were girls I should have dated that were interested. I can't say that they were "the one", because I didn't know them.
 Bratty_to_the_core
Msg: 56
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/22/2013 8:30:54 PM
I look at life this way, that every man I interact helps me to understand what I need in a healthy relationship. One man helped me discover the depth of my passion, to finally understand my sexual side and restore my faith in men Another man showed me what it mean to be cherished ... the little things that got to me that were important .... how a true gentleman treats a lady. There have been those that have shown me true affection, caring and been nuturing. There have been others whose minds were so intriguing and we had long conversations.

It is through these men that I have a healthy understand of the type of man that I need as a companion. They set the minimum standard that I judge all men who want to spend time with me. Nowadays, it enables me to avoid the takers, the guys who a gal is just a piece of meat to use me without caring.

I've had a few that "got away" however it was because of geographically circumstances and our work locations & type.
They still email and there is mutual adoration, caring and friendship.

I have to thank these men who shared themselves with me, who provided examples of a "good" man, great lover and being a gentlemen.

I'd rather be single than be with someone who doesn't treat me properly as a person, woman & lover.
 Seeing_Stars
Msg: 57
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/22/2013 11:21:24 PM
There are a few guys who I still think about and wonder where they're at and how they're doing... There's one that I wouldn't mind reconnecting with. The problem is of course, what's in the past, should stay in the past. If enough time has passed, any kind of reunion seems unlikely. Time makes people forget. However, it is difficult to not want those qualities of the ex in your current relationship, especially if there are still feelings there. It is a setup for failure but a lot of times, is difficult to control.
 cookie22222
Msg: 58
view profile
History
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/23/2013 12:34:17 PM
The old high school sweetheart, that's kinda universal isn't it?
There was another one a few years ago, I still get occasional one line emails -how are you? Time and place...but it's nice to know it was real, isn't it?
 Lucky...13
Msg: 59
The One that Got Away
Posted: 1/23/2013 12:56:00 PM
Put a classified out under "Missed Connections"
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > The "One that Got Away"