Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 statemachine500
Msg: 4
What does a serious relationship mean to you?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
What you said.It's a monagamous commitment which will continue until...
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 6
What does a serious relationship mean to you?
Posted: 1/19/2012 6:36:01 PM
I think that a serious relationship means a lifetime commitment.
 coyotefeller
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/19/2012 7:31:12 PM
Everybody agrees whether you know it or not !
Now who will be the first or the last to admit they
love the other !??
Quit playing games !
 ForumsCreeper
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 8:09:59 PM
It is what he said.
 WesternRose
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 9:26:58 PM
what he said....I don't sleep with my male friends whom I can count on my first two fingers of my right hand. When I say serious relationship I mean just that. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I know what it is. I've experienced it before and knew happiness as I never did earlier in my life. Today my life is full but I miss not having that special someone in my life. Friends are to be treasured but someone with whom you can spend the rest of your life together with is phenomenal. IMHO it is the icing on the cake.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2012 11:26:16 AM
OP: From what I read in your opening post, the two of you are actually in agreement. You define serious relationship the same way. Where you are at odds, isn't in the definition, it's in the context. You were taking a broader viewpoint, to include both romantic and non-romantic relationships, while your friend was exclusively applying the terminology to dating.
 Nathanwg
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 9:23:01 PM
I believe that a "serious relationship" is one in which the two people involved are content to be together indefinately.
 goldenheart31
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 10:19:17 PM
So many people responded to this that a serious relationship is one intent on marriage. So if it doesn't extend to marriage, is the relationship then not serious?

I consider a serious relationship to be one in which you and your partner open yourself physically and emotionally to the other person. A relationship that has a profound effect on your life. The length of time you're together and the end goal are irrelevant (though that may just be because marriage means little to me). You can have a serious relationship in high school even though it doesn't end in marriage.

When you're in a serious relationship, you are fully committed to it. It's not like a casual relationship. You plan long term, whether marriage is in the discussion or not. But I think it's more based on mutual understanding than it is on a clearly defined end goal.
 qualityl
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/21/2012 10:37:55 PM
Serious means you are taking your love relation to another level. One man and one woman. Get engaged and plan to tie the knot. Congratulation. ! Hope you are not marrying the guy I like. Lol
 qualityl
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/23/2012 4:16:44 PM
Not to old, you are totally correct! Enjoyed reading it and hope it helps me in the dating drama.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/23/2012 5:12:42 PM

So many people responded to this that a serious relationship is one intent on marriage. So if it doesn't extend to marriage, is the relationship then not serious?

I consider a serious relationship to be one in which you and your partner open yourself physically and emotionally to the other person. A relationship that has a profound effect on your life. The length of time you're together and the end goal are irrelevant (though that may just be because marriage means little to me). You can have a serious relationship in high school even though it doesn't end in marriage.

When you're in a serious relationship, you are fully committed to it. It's not like a casual relationship. You plan long term, whether marriage is in the discussion or not. But I think it's more based on mutual understanding than it is on a clearly defined end goal.

Yep, I'll go with this. To me it means a level of commitment in the here and now. You don't have to be getting married, plan to live together or anything else specifically traditional to be serious.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 52
Posted: 2/27/2012 4:13:09 PM
It is defined by the two people that are involved in it, PERIOD. If you're in a relationship or you think you are (giggle), then you have to talk to your partner and make sure you define on your parameters and have mutual agreement. It's as simple as that. What anyone else thinks or does has no bearing and you shouldn't care about it.
 FootzbeulChris
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2012 4:48:07 PM
That's basically what forms a relationship, "Connection".
But here comes the magic word, "Serious"...
 Walts
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/27/2012 6:23:34 PM
Some of you should go look up the definiton of "relationship" and then, while you're flipping thru the pages, look up "serious".

Seriously.

Now, my definiton of a serious relationship would be a partnership between two people that have mutually decided,at one time, that they would "work" on becoming a ying and a yang,hopefully for longer than the next 24 hours. The only promise I ask is that their is an "effort" there, which includes "true" communication, the ability to have a little "fight" in ya when those bumpy roads come, and the backbone needed to tell me when and if that "fight" in ya is gone. That's it.

In other words, treat me like you would expect to be treated, and lets enjoy the ride.
 lionheart101364
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2012 6:30:05 PM
Someone who commits to a relationship and is thinking long-term
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >