Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curlygrl
Msg: 4
I'm more than than just *insert physical feature here*Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I'm still waiting for my tiits to show up so I'm gonna go
With - stop looking at my brain.

Guys just stare at me. Nothing in paticular. They just stare.

Hmmm,...

I only stare if he is good looking and there have been some fattie
Good looking guys too. Sorry. I like me some meat.

When I find a guy over 45 with abs again I will tell you but this
Late in the game- if he loves me, its all good.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
I'm more than than just *insert physical feature here*
Posted: 1/20/2012 11:35:58 AM
What you are referring to as a question, isn't a question. It's a challenge. The woman who throws that out, is demanding that the guy attend to her face and eyes, and not be distracted by everything else.

In my experience, there's so much more behind it than JUST trying to draw the guy's attention northward. There's political content and history to it, personal history, and often interpersonal power manipulation involved. That's for discussion in another thread.

As to can the challenge be reversed, and used to demand to be appreciated IN SPITE of one's NEGATIVE attributes, the answer is obviously no. When you have NEGATIVE attributes, people are usually AVOIDING looking at them. Therefore, to try to challenge them to look at what you think are your best features instead, requires first that you interrupt them from heading the other direction, which doesn't fly, in interpersonal relations. It's rude, and borders on social kidnapping.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/20/2012 2:18:52 PM
^^^
Who says the shallow must be fair.
If they were, they wouldn't be shallow now would they?

Also...it is bad form to complain when the hotties think you are less than hot.
The cure is to just email a different sort.
 DameWrite
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2012 2:31:24 PM
I'm more uplifting than gravity states.
 Dale_777
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2012 7:24:35 PM
Iv'e never had a girl say that to me. Maybe it's the look you have on your face when your looking.... :P LOL
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/20/2012 7:35:21 PM
As for the converse, a man saying, "I am more than my gut"--that might be so, but his gut can interfere with, um, physical closeness. If a man complains that breasts interfere in the same sense, there's probably something wrong--but not with the breasts.

Aren't obese people saying the same thing?

And I am sure that Joseph Merrick felt, and demonstrated, that he was more than his looks.

if a woman is showcasing HER body in her profile, you can pretty much figure if you have ANY discrepancies with yours - you're nixed...lol

You might figure this, but not all men do. Some men think that women whom they find attractive should somehow see them just for their “niceness” or other non-physical attributes. They hope that the woman is not shallow though the men in question are shallow.

daynadaze
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2012 8:23:20 PM
Most people, no matter if they are hot or not, want to be more than a product to someone.
 part deux
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/21/2012 7:33:59 PM
Staring at a person is rude. I would just walk away.
 statemachine500
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/21/2012 8:04:53 PM

I think its just rude to stare at anyones body part. It shows such a lack of respect for the person. I think the man has every right to say the same

Us guys can handle that np.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/21/2012 8:19:14 PM

Us guys can handle that np.

I really want to know: how often do women really stare at men's body parts?

Men?
 Nathanwg
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2012 9:28:31 PM
I am more then just a big nose on a big head.

In all seriousness, it does seem like most people have that defining feature that everyone else identifies them by.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/22/2012 8:43:41 AM

Gwendolyn....often! And then I start think...hmmm...mmmmm. I know, I'm awful! I will try to live with myself. On the flip side, I have big boobs and a big booty....I know men stare at it and if it attracts one enough to talk to me so be it. He's not going to be attracted to my brain in a crowded room, nor I to his. So we stare, fantasize and think ...hmmmm....do I? don't I? I wonder....

I stare but I try to be subtle about it. rofl

Thank you, ladies!

The whole "staring" business can be tricky. I can be sitting in a restaurant or in line at a store and turn around to see a man just . . . staring at me. Sometimes, they are not so subtle.

If I stare at a man, I want him to notice.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/23/2012 6:49:31 AM

So, the short answer to Gwedolyn's question is: Yes! I look!

:)

Next question--men, how OFTEN do you know women are looking?
 Larrytwa
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2012 2:01:09 PM
The proverbial question of beauty and heart.

Well Mr. OP, I feel your pain, I actually asked the ? why flash the girls, if you wish us to see your heart.

It the way we are hard wired. Men, come on we all like to see beauty, maybe lips, eyes, boobs, legs, cute feet, high heels, ect.... whatever we ARE visual creatures. Be honest with me. If you (MR. OP), and I were having a couple of drinks we may not agree to what each other interest are, but we both agree we like women a certain way, and that normally a little dressed, sexy, and NOT TALKING. LOL

Now, Mr. OP, the first time she say tell me what color do you feel, what do you really think. Yea, baby I am connected to you right now a tad green with shade of purple, or wow I like to see you in a bustier, and high heels talking naughty to me and spanking her for suggesting you to get in touch with your emotions. (Ladies this paragraph was man to man comment ONLY)!!!

Hmm, Women and men are WIRED differantly and thus what is good for the gander WILL never work for the Goose.

and back to
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/23/2012 2:11:01 PM
Can a guy say, 'I'm more than just a guy with a few extra pounds!'? 'Quit looking at my gut, my eyes are up here!'?

In your profile review thread, in message 20, you stated you'd gained 14 pounds in your face---so why would you want women to look up there, anyway?

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14959391.aspx
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/23/2012 2:36:26 PM

But my original query was more along the lines of a woman expressing a desire to be looked at as more than her *positive* features, and a man expressing the same desire to be viewed as more than a *negative* attribute(let's say a FEW extra pounds)...

And I wonder why the double standard.

I don't think there is a double standard--I attempted to point this out before, but perhaps I failed.

People who "lack" in any area want desirable members of the opposite sex to overlook their shortcomings. You used the example of the man with a large belly, but what about a woman with a flat chest? The obese of both sexes? What if a 350 pound woman said, "Stop staring at my triple double chins, my eyes are up here"?
 MikeWM
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2012 4:09:39 PM
Theres only one think worse than a woman saying you shouldnt look at her tits and thats when the polic pass the message on whilst confiscating your telescope
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/23/2012 6:16:27 PM

Weight ages a person.

It can. However, it can also disguise wrinkles on faces.

When we are taking about online dating disqualifiers - I think women are a bit more unforgiving. They don't want liars, cheats, or players...but they won't even get to know if a guy isn't one of those things - if all they are looking at is a picture. Why even have a written profile? Pictures are all that matters....prove me wrong.

BS, some men will only contact ugly or obese women when they have been rejected by the attractive women. Saying that ALL women will only meet men who are liars, cheaters, and players doesn't even deserve a rebuttal.

let's see, I have had a pic up about a week, 80 percent of my responses have been from men telling me I am ugly or asking me if I used to be a man.

I understand that people can be cruel and in some cases, I understand why they are cruel. Other times, I shake my head at the crass and unfeeling behavior.
 statemachine500
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/23/2012 6:42:25 PM

Next question--men, how OFTEN do you know women are looking?

Older women aren't afraid to let you know they are looking.More often in the summer.
 statemachine500
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/23/2012 6:45:18 PM

^^ let's see, I have had a pic up about a week, 80 percent of my responses have been from men telling me I am ugly or asking me if I used to be a man. 20 percent have been men telling me I am cute and they wished that I did not live so far away from them, as my profile was also intriquing. Do the Math.

Surely this must be teenagers insulting you?
 statemachine500
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/23/2012 7:27:05 PM

Saying that ALL women will only meet men who are liars, cheaters, and players doesn't even deserve a rebuttal.

I never said that! What I said was women claim to be tired of liars, cheats, and players. But they don't take the time to get to know a guy to see if he is or isn't any of those things - they go strictly by looks on a profile picture. So what women are REALLY saying is they are tired of GREAT looking guys who are liars, cheats, and players....and my question is: Why bother writing a profile? If a woman isn't getting past your picture, yet claims she's tired of those negative qualities, why bother? Seems like women are more than happy to wait the 3 or 4 months it takes for the true colors to come out as long as the guy is hot. Then scream bloody murder, adding another disqualifier to her profile....rinse and repeat.

Reminds me of a conversation between a friend of mine and a lady ranting about the behavior of another man,branding him as a jerk.After some queries about who this guy was,and a description from the both of us....he says,oh...so he's a good looking jerk?
 MikeWM
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2012 9:40:10 AM
When someone does what was described in the initial post a LOT I reckon theyre deliberately overeacting to disguise intent

Meaning that if they tend to accentuate a particular body part to get attention and it either gets the attention of someone they dont like, gets them attention when theyre otherwise distracted or they just want to disguise the fact they ARE infact trying to use it to get noticed by doing the "stop looking at my xyz" or "my eyes are up here" type thing

Otherwise you would actually be oggling some pretty retarded simpletons if they were either genuinely shocked or self conscious that someone WAS paying attention to there overtly accentuated body part really and should really have a care assistant to dress and then chaperone them for a night out to avoid such an innocent oversight happening again
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >