Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > skirt length when over 50      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pixidancer
Msg: 351
skirt length when over 50 Page 15 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
I am on the opposite end-VERY short. I look ridiculous in long skirts. I go by "do I look like I'm trying to wear teen stuff (in a short skirt), or does this make me look dumpy (in a long one)". In a three quarter mirror do I like what I see? Now for jeans or leggings-I go to the children's , or Junior's departments because petite clothing doesn't run small enough. I have to be very careful there as I might look like I'm in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane", mode. Do what YOU like, never dress for what others think. Try to be age appropriate (try and not dress like you are 12 or 17). But, just because we are older though does not mean we have to have blue hair and Grandma Moses clothes. Dress your own style- period and forget what you look like and enjoy life ;)
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 352
skirt length when over 50
Posted: 2/24/2013 12:06:55 AM
Women should wear what they are comfortable with--bottom line (no pun intended) --

And I do. I've been dressing and undressing this body for many years and I've learned what does and does not look good on me.

I tend to shy away from long skirts for many reasons...body type is number one. When I look at myself in the mirror it kinda feels like I am a little girl playing dress-up in my mother's clothes...lol

The only longer skirt I wear may be a pencil skirt which I think look cool worn just below the knee with boots. Perfect for fall and winter.
Warmer weather...it's skirts and dresses...I love the cool silkiness brushing against my skin, very sensual. Makes me feel sexy and feminine. *grins*

...mae
 Freudian
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2013 1:14:15 PM

H3LL guys look at Goldie Hawn...She still looks good in anything she wears, and she is in her mid 60s

Have you actually seen her in real life. You have to wonder how many of the images we see of her have been touched up and how many houses you could buy with what she has spent in plastic surgury.

Actually, I have. This is not name-dropping, simply the fact that she lives on the same end of town I do; she's in the ritsy part, up on the side of a mountain, in a beautiful house that can barely be seen from the road. She sometimes shops at an Albertson's I go to when they have meat on sale.

In the instances I've seen her, she looked perfectly normal for her age. She wasn't the destroyed image you can find on google and she wasn't the exceptionally beautiful woman she seems to be in the movies. Not unattractive, not movie star, just a normal lady pushing a shopping cart and squeezing the fruit.
 rhonda333
Msg: 354
Posted: 2/25/2013 5:51:56 AM
so, where was her skirt?
 Freudian
Msg: 355
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2013 11:50:17 AM
Probably at home in her closet. Every time I saw her she was dressed in shorts that came down to just above the knee. She either had a tucked in button up blouse or a baggy tee shirt that hung just below the waist. She looked nice.
 daffie
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:09:02 PM
i happily have my own style, always have...
which doesn't include short, short dresses and skirts...only because i don't possess a stunning set of pins.

some of us have more "fashion sense" than others. a fact which doesn't dismiss the ones who don't measure up as non-entitys. all women should dress how they like...and let the wowsers and control freaks among us wallow in their smug self importance.
 Deepseaceecee
Msg: 357
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:24:42 PM
I think a skirt two inches above the knee is is fine if the legs are good. It is the way you wear it and what you wear it with that completes the look. You know what they say, if the legs are on display then the cleavage is not. For good taste and vice versa.
 Deepseaceecee
Msg: 358
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:26:31 PM
Freudian, did she?? sounds pretty unsexy and unfashionable to me. You must have been in love. lol...
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 359
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:28:40 PM
I look best in those BoHo hippie skirts that r longer, w/ a fitted top showing some skin at the collarbone/breasts...my azz got smaller & flatter from 9 mos. of vegetarianism! But I till have them meaty thighs ;0P
 Freudian
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 8:50:44 PM

Freudian, did she?? sounds pretty unsexy and unfashionable to me. You must have been in love. lol...

Admittedly, I had a crush on her back in the Laugh-In days. She was so dipsy and cute on that show. Maybe I am seeing her through rose colored sunglasses (blue blockers y'know).
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 361
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2013 7:50:00 AM
I agree...Peppermint...long and sleek is cool... as for me, .I'd rather look "dowdy" than "slutty"....although it's the skirt and the personality that make the outfit...,
 ROHgirlzz
Msg: 362
Posted: 3/8/2013 8:21:08 AM
How about over 60? lol. But that's the conundrum isn't it? Not to look like you are 'trying too hard' to look younger. I like to keep up with current fashion and follow what women in my age range are wearing through magazines .. I even check out what Barbara Walters is wearing on the View. Lol. I try to stay within the perimeters of good taste when it comes to fashion . However, I think if you are basically a conservative person anyway, you won't go wrong with your choices. Other than that, why can't we just enjoy who we are and make the most of our femininity. Fashion is fun.

If a woman is chastised or judged because she is over 50 or 60 and wearing a skirt that is 1" above the knee .. and otherwise looks very nice. Please. I think maybe envy could be playing a part on the problem with the nay-sayer. Also in cold weather months the dark tights and stockings look super great under the dress or skirt. I, personally, say NO minis on older women. That kind of speaks for itself.
 ROHgirlzz
Msg: 363
Posted: 3/8/2013 8:23:22 AM
Giggles: I agree, and couldn't have said it better !
 ForumFiona
Msg: 364
Posted: 3/8/2013 8:33:06 AM

Btw, I tend to long lectures/diatribes. Here's my assessment:
I agree with Fedz's repeated assurances that women, in this secular society can, within limits of lawful dress codes, dress as they damn well please. But they "should" be willing to accept some responsibility for it's effect on others. For instance, if you waltz into a classy restaurant where Fedz (I think I can safely speak for him) and I and our respective dates are enjoying a fine meal, with your hemline up to your navel, you should expect to receive disgusted looks from us.

Btw, this is where I stopped reading and it didn't take me long eh. No woman with a modicum of style sense or intelligence wears her "hemline up to your navel" or the like unless you and fedz have been hanging out at your local wallmart too much? Yeah, someone I want fashion advice from LMFAO....
 ROHgirlzz
Msg: 365
Posted: 3/8/2013 8:37:38 AM
Last summer I went to an outdoor grill party at a family member's house. A large mix of people. Some I didn't know. My sister encouraged me to wear a white jean summer skirt (sort of an A-line look) that skimmed the middle of my knee regarding length. I was lightly tanned and I wore flat sandals and a navy summer 3/4 length sleeve conservative top..not particulary form fitting at all. Only accessories were hoop earrings. After I got ready I showed her and she applauded how good it looked. Then I sat down and the skirt of course came up about another inch .. I decided not to wear it because I just didn't want to look "like I was trying too hard". I bought it in the ladies dept..Liz Claiborne..so I figured it was for all ladies. I mean they really don't have an "old lady section" anywhere .. THANK YOU GOD! And to be frank, I simply wouldn't go there anyway. Not gonna do it !

Bottom line, my sister insisted I wear it .. it looked fine when I sat down .. I started to feel comfortable .. and wore it to the party. I must admit I 'stood up' most of the time. .. but when I sat my legs were tightly together like the proper older woman I am, and all was well. The point is: I did look good in it .. but we are so conditioned that even a simple skirt that skims the knees can make you spend too much time pondering whether or not to wear it. But I am so glad I did ..there were other women in their 50s and 60s who wore about an inch shorter sundresses. I felt great actually!

Just use common sense then go with it !
 larissan04
Msg: 366
Posted: 3/10/2013 7:36:06 PM
i say if a woman has great legs then she should flaunt em! i've seen women that are in their 60s and 70s with pretty good gams, and i say good for them! most of us are not blessed with great legs, but if you are, they are certainly nothing to be ashamed of. if you got it, flaunt it!
 KuumbaSankofa
Msg: 367
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2013 8:42:03 AM
Hmm...I was just thinking about my legs, for I never knew that I had what some men consider 'nice' legs until I joined POF and started to get comments about my legs from men!

1) Some years ago, my children's dad said to me after I'd donned a mini-skirt, "You are too old to wear that! You aren't leaving out of the door looking like that!" We were no longer dating at that point, and I promptly said, "Thanks, daddy"...and then I left out!!

2) As I became 'older', I also became somewhat self-conscious about wearing shorter skirts/shorts. Perhaps I had my boys' dad's words in my head. However, the longer I lived in Florida and noted the 'minimal' clothing due to the weather and beach environment, I became more comfortable-at my age-with wearing shorts and skirts. Why, I even have on shorts in a few images on my POF page that are shorter than I wore when I was a younger woman! (Yet, I often wonder if I'd wear such shorter clothing in other regions, such as Philly, where I am originally from...just a different vibe!! Smile!)

3) While I do feel that there are some 'societal' notions about not wearing 'shorter' garments after a certain age, I think it depends upon what one's legs 'look' like. Yet, even with nice gams, still be careful of the 'haters!' Smile! Recently, a few cousins and aunts came to Florida to handle business. I met with them, and I had on shorts; it was 91 degrees, and the shorts were comfortable to drive in. Did my relatives comment on my increased body tone from recently joining a gym for the first time? Nope? They told me that I was 'too old' to wear those shorts and that I should burn them!! They said my legs were fat, etc. Really? Not according to POF men. So...guess what...I will 'dust those haters off' and wear my shorts and skirts when the occasion is 'appropriate' to do so!

Have a great day! Kelly
 rgooden
Msg: 368
Posted: 3/12/2013 1:37:23 PM
I love skirts!!!!! If you feel good wearing it and it makes you feel a little sexier.....then go for it baby.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:39:52 PM
Who are women dressing for on a date? Me or ? What are you waiting for in life? A woman has 99% of her time to dress for others. I want my gal to look super hot and flaunt it for me when we're together. There's.s a sexual excitement about being out for the evening with a woman who knows how to exploit the fine line between classiness and slutiness.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 370
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:51:29 PM
^^^
I don't recall the opening post mentioning anything about skirt length on a date.

But do go on with your self absorption.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 371
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2013 6:22:26 PM
^^^^^

Hint...This is a DATING site. Unfortunately many on it forget that the goal is to maximize trying to understand and attract the opposite sex. It's not to get a gold star from Martha Stewart or the folks at Good Housekeeping. Some Woman ignore their inate seductiveness and have some need to act OLD. They then wonder why guys are then interested in younger women.
 Fleuron
Msg: 372
Posted: 3/13/2013 9:48:45 AM

Hint...This is a DATING site. Unfortunately many on it forget that the goal is to maximize trying to understand and attract the opposite sex.

That’s not “the goal” for everybody.

It's not to get a gold star from Martha Stewart or the folks at Good Housekeeping. Some Woman ignore their inate seductiveness and have some need to act OLD. They then wonder why guys are then interested in younger women.

The arrogance of that statement is absolutely hilarious. Maybe SOME men need to realize that the earth does NOT revolve around the male gender, and males are NOT at the center of our universe.

Maybe some men hesitate to make any kind of move before considering what women would think of it…..? I dunno.

Sometimes women do what WE want to do, without giving a flip what any man has to say or think about it.
 Freudian
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2013 12:05:19 PM

The arrogance of that statement is absolutely hilarious. Maybe SOME men need to realize that the earth does NOT revolve around the male gender, and males are NOT at the center of our universe.

Ah man, all this time I've been getting it wrong.
 Freudian
Msg: 374
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 9:05:09 PM
fedzbureau, I just gotta ask. I looked at your history of posts and all of them are commenting about how women over 50 dress, or the length of their hair. There was even a huge pause between 2008 and late 2012 where you were apparently absent or the threads you posted on were deleted. This is with a profile that says nothing without a picture for reference so you are striking out anonymously from the shadows (so to speak). It also seems a bit strange for a professed 47 year old to be insulting to women beyond his age about how they look.

With a record of posts that are consistently insulting to a significant portion of the women on this site, what the heck are you doing here? Shouldn't you be off somewhere with your thessarus trying to attract something in the 40 year old range?

Few educated, successful, experienced, savvy, and mature men would really disagree with this, if fully pressed.

I disagree.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 375
Posted: 3/22/2013 10:35:59 PM

Shouldn't you be off somewhere with your thessarus trying to attract something in the 40 year old range?

Hitting the gym and posting photos would work better than a thesaurus.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > skirt length when over 50