Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > skirt length when over 50      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 51
skirt length when over 50 Page 3 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
Yes bD I remember the micro mini. We would say someone wearing something that short, that "they had to shave so it wouldn't show".
 NuMeNow
Msg: 52
view profile
History
skirt length when over 50
Posted: 1/31/2012 3:43:36 PM
As long as it is appropriate for the event/situation/workplace..etc., then the hemline should not be an issue...even over the age of 50. I personally would not wear a mini skirt...but that’s me. Most of my dresses/skirts are between 1-2 inches above the knee and I don’t think this is likely to change anytime soon.

I really don’t thing age/size is as much of an issue as the appropriateness of the outfit.

I’ve seen plus size women, of all ages, in short skirts/dresses – business/c0cktail type outfits, who carry them well. Their outfits are made out of fabrics that do not cling but rather compliment. I’ve also seen 20/30 somethings that are in great shape, however have chosen to wear tight mini’s in a professional work environment...not the best wardrobe choice. However, if they were out with friends or clubbing...not a problem.
 pja44
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/31/2012 6:04:46 PM
i think if a person no matter what their size is comfortable in their own skin and happy with how they look it shouldn't matter to anyone else what they wear.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/31/2012 10:18:17 PM
A woman over 50 wearing a short skirt is no different than a woman over 50 wearing long hair IMO. If you have nice legs ( and a body to go with it ) or nice hair then why not. I don't get why when people reach a certain age that they feel they have to look a certain way just to satisfy thier peers - probably women who cannot pull off that look.

Ain't nobody gonna tell me that Pep doesen't look great in that short dress.
 Prettyfox54
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/1/2012 1:05:45 AM
conservative fashion rule of thumb, no more than 3" above the knee regardless of great legs at any age. respect yourself.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/1/2012 1:37:04 PM

Some people THINK a lot of makeup after 50 is not attractive or appropriate.
If I could wear a lot of eye make up I might do it myself at night some .
I can't. It looks vulgar on me.

conservative fashion rule of thumb

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That make up is certainly is not conservative looking if that is your goal.
But you look fine in it.

I don't get the big deal.

It's the avenue of where you are and how you carry yourself that makes something inappropriate verses appropriate.

Short dresses/skirts
Dance parties or just dinner somewhere semi relaxed yes, your sons graduation from Princeton or BFs office party........ NO. JMO of course.

Live and let live.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/1/2012 1:58:48 PM
Don't fall into the trap of dressing like your daughter.

Given the statistics on childhood/abolescent obesity (I was stunned to see an ad posted on a Philadelphia subway last month replete with a dire statistic & message along the lines of "35%
of Philadelphia's children/young adults are seriously overweight.") in the US, I would certainly hope that none of us 45+ adults would wear clothing similar to that worn many of these young adults. Again: in matters of garb, it's more about whether/not the "shoes" fit a lady to her most comfortable & personal advantage. A 16 year old student carrying 50 extra pounds up the stairway to her next class who has chosen to don a skirt hanging 2 inches beneath her lower buttocks is inappropriately dressed for any venue, let alone a school hallway --- notwithstanding the fishnet stockings covering her legs. On the other hand? There are 45+ women with legs to match their model looks who might present a smashing presence in such attire at a New Year's Eve party --- provided they stand up all evening:)
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/1/2012 2:51:27 PM
A woman over 50 wearing a short skirt is no different than a woman over 50 wearing long hair IMO. If you have nice legs ( and a body to go with it ) or nice hair then why not. I don't get why when people reach a certain age that they feel they have to look a certain way just to satisfy thier peers - probably women who cannot pull off that look.

Ain't nobody gonna tell me that Pep doesen't look great in that short dress.

I absolutely agree, Paddy---and yes, Pep does look stunning in that short dress.

conservative fashion rule of thumb, no more than 3" above the knee regardless of great legs at any age. respect yourself.

Funny---I would think a woman who eats in moderation and exercises to stay in shape is respecting herself much more than a woman who hides her legs behind conservative, i.e. matronly-looking clothing, because she has allowed herself to get out-of-shape and doesn't feel self-confident enough to show them off.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/1/2012 2:59:21 PM
Any length that a woman has the legs for.

Think Tina Turner.

Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/1/2012 3:00:20 PM

Don't fall into the trap of dressing like your daughter. Hands give away your age.

Older women usually look quite classy in darker pastel colors.

I don't have a daughter, so I guess that is not applicable to me.

Old women should wear dark pastels? Dang, someone forgot to give me the old ladies' book again. I wear colors that appeal to me; I will not be hemmed in by what other think are appropriate for women of any age.

If I followed societal "rules" and the mob mentality, I would have short hair.

A 16 year old student carrying 50 extra pounds up the stairway to her next class who has chosen to don a skirt hanging 2 inches beneath her lower buttocks is inappropriately dressed for any venue, let alone a school hallway --- notwithstanding the fishnet stockings covering her legs.

The WORST piece of apparel that I see on young women are the low rise pants. They make even barely overweight women and thin women who are out of shape (with protruding abdomens) look pregnant . Women like them, however, because they can wear a smaller size--it's the same reason why men with huge bellies wear their pants barely above their scrotum. But as my apparel is my choice, those pants are their choice.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/1/2012 4:12:41 PM
Gwendolyn2010 wrote:

The WORST piece of apparel that I see on young women are the low rise pants. They make even barely overweight women and thin women who are out of shape (with protruding abdomens) look pregnant . Women like them, however, because they can wear a smaller size--it's the same reason why men with huge bellies wear their pants barely above their scrotum. But as my apparel is my choice, those pants are their choice.

In the mid 70s there was a popular style of women's twill pants that were high rise and had a upside down 'U' seam on the back of them. I don't remember the brand or what the style was called, but they were so much more 'sexy' than the hip hugger look, if you had the body shape to wear them. And yes, muffin top doesn't look good on either sex.

Men or women just say no to (but) crack.
 zookie57
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/1/2012 5:01:02 PM

Any length that a woman has the legs for.

Think Tina Turner

Yes, Tina does put all the rest to shame......& at 70 plus!
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/1/2012 5:55:32 PM
@ prettyfox- you have such flawless skin & pretty eyes, you could wear an old fashioned nun's habit to your ankles & look great...I would love to know what you do to have such great skin (aside from drinking alot of water) sorry if i went off topic a little bit

I would hope that we would behave like a sisterhood & uplift eachother...we were/are all daughters, sisters, mothers, grandmothers, aunts, etc.

How about we think of ourselves as a bouquet of flowers, each one different, unique & pretty???

I second this. I am thankful and slightly amazed at how many women in these forums feel that bond of sisterhood. We should work together rather than cause divisiveness and try to compete because of the way that we look--it ain't a competition, and no one "wins."
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/1/2012 7:59:38 PM
I have to wonder if some of these women who have rules about skirt length and hair length also have a rule about how much cleavage a woman over 50 should be showing! Is there a rule for how many inches above the nipples must be covered?
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2012 9:43:19 PM
^ Ha! You're just trying to get more cleavage shots now.
 abelian
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/1/2012 10:06:56 PM

So, disregarding fashion changes that raise/lower hemlines every year, how high is acceptable in a woman just past 50?

I'd say age isn't the criteria here.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/1/2012 10:58:24 PM

I have to wonder if some of these women who have rules about skirt length and hair length also have a rule about how much cleavage a woman over 50 should be showing! Is there a rule for how many inches above the nipples must be covered?

...I was just flipping through the rule book on cleavage and it says at least an inch above the nipple would be acceptable, any less would be "showing off"

...mae
 Prettyfox54
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/2/2012 2:07:28 AM
I see nothing unagreeable here at all besides negativity, and was curious why you even posted commentary.

Absolutely, we all have a certain look and we gather what glamour resources with which we feel comfortable given both work and social requirements and environments.

Frankly, I don't wear any make-up at all most days and I feel just as good with it or without it. I see it as fun when there is time.

In the real everyday world, I am a paradox as if I am getting into a camper headed for the hills or ready to get on a showroom floor given my profession.

I was in the design industry for years, residentially and commerically and it was a necessity to sport all styles according to diversity of clientele.

It is very possible to re-invent oneself on a daily basis given their living.

It is unkind to tell me that I look inappropriate. I would not choose these words. The reason I would not choose your words is because it is so simply to say "why are you made up if so conservative?"

You do not know me. I simply responded to a woman on forum who wanted an opinion. So, why yours?

Why have a brazen attitude? Look at what I posted to this other woman who was nasty with words if you wish on this post. If not, never mind.

I think you are perfect just the way you are and hope you do too!

lovelysky63
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/2/2012 5:07:28 AM
Confident make women look nice and smart..
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/2/2012 6:34:41 AM

Given that she's got pretty good legs from what the men say.

Go for it.

Dang, someone forgot to give me the old ladies' book again. I wear colors that appeal to me; I will not be hemmed in by what other think are appropriate for women of any age.

If I followed societal "rules" and the mob mentality, I would have short hair.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Missed that one too.
I can't and won't wear pastels as I am to pale..Plus I love vivid deep jewel tones!!!

If I could grow my hair long like Hal and Gwen I would..I look like the sea hag below the shoulders.LOL

It is unkind to tell me that I look inappropriate.

^^^^^^^^^^^If you are accusing me..Please show me where I said that.

1 ....... I said you look fine but not conservative.

That make up is certainly is not conservative looking if that is your goal.
But you look fine in it.

^^^^^^^^^^^There ya go.

2........You said conservative is what is appropriate at any age and this thread is about for over 50 and you mentioned SELF RESPECT as a dig to women that will wear a short skirt IMO. So if you didn't mean it take it back.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

^^^^^^^^^^
I respect myself A LOT,but enjoy variety in fashion.
First rule is no rules except at work and some social engagements/places.

Frankly, I don't wear any make-up at all most days and I feel just as good with it or without it. I see it as fun when there is time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The same way I feel about short skirts or wearing a fedora or military jacket with a dress.
I won't adhere to other peoples rules, like to have fun with clothes and don't run around in a short skirt every day..

I see nothing unagreeable here at all besides negativity

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Excepting possibly one post where a woman suggest others are jealous of her..I haven't seen much here but opinions.

ShoreLife I have seen many a thicker woman look great in a short skirt, In fact my neibor is an average size woman with legs to DIE for and I am constantly telling her she needs to show some leg...It doesnt mean you cant carry it off at all.

The WORST piece of apparel that I see on young women are the low rise pants.

^^^^^Thats the wrong style for many..It has to hit just right.

I like them myself but do have to get longer shirts with my long waist/torso.
I also like the very high waisted ones that hits the ribs but not what we knew as the "mom jean" in the eighties.

OP You should know what looks good on you.
Also if you continuously get comments on things or colors that flatter you then you are doing something right.

I take comments in consideration from women as well as men and it seems they both have the same opinion in most cases.

I also have had to buy petite clothes in dresses for a good fit and even at 5'7 that can put it a tad short.
Some work and some dont.

Also hear "no black after 50" and while to much near the face can age or wash out some, others wear it well or add an accent with color near the face.
CLEAVAGE........LOL
I won't go there think its been" covered".
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/2/2012 8:19:25 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you have to realize that your legs even for an 16-18 yr old ARE EXCEPTIONAL, so you are exceptional when it comes to the rules for short skirts OVER 50(if anyone does have a rule)

I think most people in here would agree for casual warm weather, comfort is a must regardless of whether we have the legs of a 16 yr old model or not...but for business/office wear, most would tend to be more conservative...

all women have their beautiful points/features, plus their inner beauty as well. maybe the best dress code is to accent our best features as well as let the inner beauty shine????

If I were pep, i'd get some hot pants too & in the winter wear them w/ colored textured tights & boots
 DrummingNut
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/2/2012 8:40:03 AM
Know what?
I honestly don't care what fashion 'rules' there may be out there simply due to me being 60.
I leave that for the Others that want to be into it. Doesn't faze me what they think/do.
LOL, look at my profile.. does it seem like I care about that kind of stuff?

Now, I think it's great that Others are into it.. whatever floats their boat, ya know?
I'm happy to see anyone doing something they're happy with.. and I assume they're happy.

I had an aquaintance .. woman around my age with short hair.. ask me why "at your age" I have such long hair.
I asked "are you happy with your short hair?" "Yes", she replied.

"Oh I'm so glad you're happy! I'm happy with my hair too!"

And THAT is what I LIKE.. being happy.
So I confidently go on out into the world dressed in my "t-shirt" style of 'fashion'.. and be happy.

Even back when I was working... when I was fostering special-needs children..
all the tons of times I had to go to court meetings, talk to (judgemenal)social workers, go to continual schooling for myself, meet with the children's physical therapists, meet with their psyciatrists, talk to many doctors, advocate for them before a judge, go to their school meetings, go before the School Board, in other words put on my "professional face"...
I went armed with a fresh shower & hair wash, knowledge and confidence...
and how did I dress?
A jean-style long skirt instead of my jean pants was my only "okay, shit, I'll do this much".

And I got listened to, I got very respectfully heard, I got awards, I got written up in the paper (dressed as I always do! haha), I was invited to speak at gatherings (dressed as I always do), and I actually could go on.

If anyone thought "she's not 'dressed up'".. they soon learned that it DIDN'T MATTER.

I shared a little bit of my belief with all those people... that style of dress really SHOULDN'T matter.
 rhonda333
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/2/2012 9:10:29 AM
well I can certainly appreciate the comments so many women have made about dressing for comfort, and not using makeup, or wearing heels. This is certainly natural beauty at its best and we all admire that. But the fact is, many of us women do dress in a way that attracts men's eyes- and that means dresses and skirts, heels and hose, and at least some makeup. There is also the requirements of the job- in my case a fairly strict requirement that women will always be conservatively dressed with no cleavage and knee length skirts. So anyway, I love the diversity that women can show in their personal appearance.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/2/2012 11:19:08 AM
^Diversity in dress styles is GOOD and fun and interesting.
It's a shame, though, that there ARE 'rules', (or even just expectations), in place and diversity takes a kick.
 zookie57
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/2/2012 3:11:54 PM

Good point sky in the ones who know themselves without the constant beating of their drum......lol
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > skirt length when over 50