Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > skirt length when over 50      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whistlinatwork
Msg: 76
skirt length when over 50 Page 4 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
I'm tall too and been working my legs out at least six hours per week for the past six months and otherwise dropping the pounds (went vegan). I just bought a pretty sun dress 3-4 inches above my knees that fits well. I plan to wear it casually. Screw 'em.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 77
skirt length when over 50
Posted: 2/2/2012 7:05:17 PM

constant beating of their drum......lol

Oh ha ha.
You made a joke. At someone else's expense.
Aren't you just soooo clever.
 cooldog65
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2012 5:44:08 PM
^^^^^ I see why you have shades on. Oh the trauma!
 ConnCat
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 9:00:04 AM

Black is a sign of DEATH.

Not necessarily true, Larrytwa. Where I've spent my entire adult life, New York, black is considered sexy and appropriate at night, and is the go-to color for most women, young and old, for any occasion.
 jerryd63
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/4/2012 10:32:53 AM
it should be about a woman's preference in her skirt length ... some woman want to be noticed and will wear shorter skirts ... it really is the individual that makes that choice, who has to deal with whatever public or private criticism she may get ... but if she is comfortable with what she wears, it truly is her decision!!! as a man it doesn't matter to me as long as my woman is comfy ...
 Ms Cheevious
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 1:16:22 PM

So, disregarding fashion changes that raise/lower hemlines every year, how high is acceptable in a woman just past 50? Given that she's got pretty good legs from what the men say.

Depends on your target audience.

If you are doing it for YOU..then why ask us? Anything YOU think acceptable...is acceptable.

If you are baiting your hook, pay attention to the opinions of the caliber of fish you are seeking.

This has always bothered me because I'm tall, and skirt lengths are cut for a woman 4 or 5 inches shorter than me - makes everything I wear above the knee.

Nope, plenty of places sell clothes tailored to the taller figure - some even SPECIALIZE in clothes for tall (and ultra tall) women.

A good rule of thumb (if you are tall)..... the higher the hemline, the closer to your thigh the dress or skirt should fit. The lower hemlines are for the more "swingy" styles.

We are the same age and height. Remember how close fitting our 'barely there' micro mini's were? They HAD to be..else we'd be showin off the goods - especially when struttin in our 4-5" platforms! (insert zorro snap here)

...I was just flipping through the rule book on cleavage and it says at least an inch above the nipple would be acceptable, any less would be "showing off"

Reminds me of a Golden Girls episode.

Blanch said she was going to sit in a long, hot, steamy bath...the water just covering the top of her perky bosom.

Sophia shot back , "You are only going to sit in an inch of water??"

Used to love to wear long flowing 'hippie' skirts

Those are still amongst my faves.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 2:23:20 PM
Ya know, what strikes me through all this discussion is that it seems to me that there is more diversity in clothing worn today than perhaps ever before in history. Rather than a single style or skirt length dominating it seems to me that women (and men) can pull off whatever style they like best with less criticism than ever before, even if there are still a few holdovers who want to associate a certain age with certain fashion choices.

Of course we also have a higher percentage of over 50 folk staying fit than we have in the past too. This summer my 90 year old aunt will be honored with a special award for STILL competing in long distance running events and as often as not winning her age group. Her two daughters, both over 60, compete in marathons and triathalons.

Most women, in my experience, know full well what styles work best for them. And whatever that may be, any woman who likes what she sees in the mirror is all the more attractive for the confidence she exudes.

I love a good set of legs, but enjoy the look of a full length dress or skirt as well. Mostly I enjoy being in the company of women who FEEL attractive, so ladies, please do dress as you wish!

This, of course, from the guy who's been known this time of year to go out wearing socks with his Birkenstocks - clearly a fashion expert!
 flgirl7007
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/4/2012 6:10:35 PM
I think it depends more on the occasion. If work and above the knees, not more than a couple of inches with dark hose. For going out you can go shorter if you have good legs...why not? Once you get to be over 50 don't care what others think!!!!
 daffie
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2012 2:43:06 AM
if you have been blessed with great legs...
or as i like to say, have inherited good genes...
along with most importantly a sense of style?...

show 'em off to your advantage at every chance you get!...
 Darkbutcomely
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/5/2012 5:56:42 PM
But I still have great legs. CAN I please wear them another couple of years??? please I no longer have flat abs and my arms are all soft and giggly. BUT my legs still look good so I am wearing them.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 86
Posted: 2/5/2012 6:09:35 PM
^^^^ you have your arms fully exposed even though you are not proud of them ( they look fine to me ) why would you want to cover up your legs it you think they are one of your best assets.
 Darkbutcomely
Msg: 87
Posted: 2/5/2012 6:15:55 PM
Oh no I use to have great arms. Michelle Obama had nothing on my arms. Not any more. I am more likely to wear something that covers them. BUT I still have great legs. Just got a mini but no where to wear it YET. I am going to rock my mini and I am well over 35.
 Darkbutcomely
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:25:22 PM
I have seen 22 years who should NOT be wearing a mini skirt. If you have great legs wear the skirt regardless of your age. If you do NOT have great legs THEN by all means do not force the rest of the world to look at them. and that is all I have to say about that.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/5/2012 7:43:24 PM
Personaly I love to see a woman showing off her legs and body in a short dress or skirt, short shorts, spandex or even bikini if she has the legs and body to pull it off regardless of her age. Same could be said for a guy walking around in a pair of shorts and no shirt... having a body or body parts that the majority would rather not see could happen in your teens or it could be delayed until fairly late in life.

Its all about being realistic about how you look and knowing when it's time to dress more conservatively.
 CaliforniaDreamer57
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/17/2012 8:14:50 AM
Rather than worry about a "fashion statement" first and foremost be comfortable in your own skin. If yo like the way it fits and like the way it feels go for it. If not, why bother? Save your self time and money. Go with Skirts and cute tops. I have a similar problem but from the um top angle. What fits over "the girls" is way too big on the lower regions. Mix and match. Best thing going.
 nativerock
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/17/2012 8:35:17 AM
Well I am the big 60 and wear my skirts about 3 inches above my knee..The reason for that is not my wonderful legs which are not bad, but my height.. I am not very tall and find that skirt length works best on me..
 Janet_Always
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/17/2012 5:41:27 PM
I have long legs for my height plus I'm tall -- so lots of things are kind of short compared to other people that wear the same styles.

I don't care. It's comfortable for me. As long as everything's covered, it's fine.
 aussiesealady
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/17/2012 6:58:14 PM
OH DEAR.

Should I comment considering I have a photo on here in a micro miniskirt / tutu, fishnets and 5 inch heels.

In real life I think a longer skirt with a split is sexier on a more mature woman.
A little bit of mystery is a wonderful thing :)

However on a beach, sailing etc a long skirt and high heels get in the way.

oops just realised that I also have a photo with leggings and an even shorter micro top/ skirt. But I am completely covered brom ankle to elbow to neck.
 malinhead
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:17:24 PM
As long as you feel comfortable and aren't constantly worried about showing too much then you are fine .You are tall and slim with nice legs,show them off!!
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:31:05 PM
At age 58, I wear short, flippy dresses all summer long. For years I wore long skirts with the erroneous belief that it made me look taller.

"You have beautiful legs," a male friend remarked, "Why do you wear long skirts?" He had a point. So I started buying shorter skirts. At 5'5" tall I weigh 110 lbs. I've always had skinny legs and finally appreciate it.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:40:22 PM

I have a photo on here in a micro miniskirt / tutu, fishnets and 5 inch heels

LET'S DO THE TIMEWARP AGAIN!
 ninjaeleven
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 8:01:42 PM
A couple inches above the knees I would think.
 J_bird61
Msg: 98
Posted: 7/17/2012 9:23:32 PM
I vote for 1 to 3 inches above the knee for the highest hemline at 50. And I also will add it depends on the shape of your legs, good shape 3" bad shape 1". 3 inches sounds like alot but if you actually measure, it isn't.
 aussiesealady
Msg: 99
Posted: 7/17/2012 10:21:07 PM
Rocky Horror rules!!!!! One can get away with almost anything whilst on stage.

I do draw the line at muffin tops.

Shorter skirst and good legs are easy.

Showing the love handles is not a good look in anyones eyes.

Long legs unite!!!

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
 vanityfair55
Msg: 100
Posted: 7/18/2012 4:41:56 AM
I say if you've got the legs why not! I have those skinny bird legs so never liked the way short dresses looked on me.
LOVE Rocky Horror!!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > skirt length when over 50