Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Do you Believe in the 6 Date Rule...?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 The Black wolf
Msg: 26
Do you Believe in the 6 Date Rule...?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
it's common sensethere is sex with just lust no feeling and theres making love with love n
and passion so if any one says o ok have sex 3days from now it's like making a appointment wich sounds to me pretty sick but to each is own but any case making love from the heart pure ammotion that what's special but sex is not planed it comes natural way it should be uninspected 6date rule who invented that rule omg.
 adora71
Msg: 27
Do you Believe in the 6 Date Rule...?
Posted: 1/31/2012 9:35:46 PM
First of all, two dates is fine to decide if there is potential, IMO. But, if you are looking for a LTR, I think you need to see the person in a few environments--during the day, with some friends, doing activities, etc. 3 or 4 well-planned dates and some good talks on the phone should give you a pretty clear idea.

For me, having sex is important, and I would wait as long as it took to feel sure the guy is not just looking to get laid (one of these players I hear so much about, but don`t think I`ve ever actually gone out with). My problem is that as soon as I have sex (if it is good), I stop being able to see anything bad in the person for quite a long time. My rosy glasses get put on and my judgement gets put away with my clothes.

If sex is avoided for too long, though, the anticipation of it overshadows all the interactions that you have. I often wish I could better separate emotional and physical intimacy.
 0ldhag
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/1/2012 9:17:24 AM
This kinda sounds like a movie I watched recently...

"I hate valentines"
 udonotmatter
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/1/2012 11:53:22 AM

I recently read you should give someone you have met 6 dates before you make a judgement on if you are a match or not...Do you Believe in the 6 Date Rule...?

I think it depends.
I could see this rule as worth something if you spent more than 2 weeks talking online, or if you are the type that sits and texts and chats on the phone all day and all night.
It gives the "Relationship" time to settle down and set up better norms and boundaries when trying to make the transition between online fantasy and reality.
Kind of like how high school dating works, where you are around them a lot before going on a "real" date.

Or basically, it's a rule for internet dating and high school children.
I would not use that rule for real life adult dating.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/1/2012 4:17:02 PM
There's a six date rule????

Sex has to be when???

I haven't even had a first date yet.....unless you count my teens and a few meets over the years. My LTRs, and that's all I have ever had, have always been friends I knew fairly well, first ... except the first.... and he's the reason why I don't get involved with strangers and never will.

I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO DATE. Still, I have NO intention of following prescribed rules or dating dogma. Gonna go with my instinct and gut feelings and logical assessments and all that, and if it serves me up as victim or loses the love of my life or hides the needle in a stack of needles, so be it.
 zookie57
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/1/2012 4:23:33 PM
ps, maybe the op is just asking about the 6 " rule! lol
 Mr_Nationwide
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/1/2012 5:55:45 PM
How long well I have to a date a girl who attends to church?
 onlydateIF
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/1/2012 9:42:17 PM
my heart is ruled by quality of my experience spending time with a person, not a mathematical formula
 csm92
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/1/2012 10:11:36 PM
I or the other person usually uses the 1 date rule.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/1/2012 11:46:19 PM
I have now decided to try the Date 2 atleast! haha but yes 6 dates omg thats an investment for sure and too long to drag it out if your on the fence from beginning :)

If your goal is relationship-or-bust, then it certainly doesn't take 6 dates to determine if there isn't something there -- that's Common Sense.

IMO, first you find out if they're "datable" -- meaning whether they're worth being the guy you're "Dating". Dating means that you'll be going out with them on an on-going basis, have fun, you're an item but not solidified (yet?) as a solid bf/gf. Whether they're "datable" usually takes just a few dates -- weeded out on the 1st, potentially verified for the better on the 2nd, solidified on the 3rd... and you continue on toward then into the Dating zone. Basically, you don't "give it a chance" for date 6 on whether they're "datable". By that time, you are, and it's weird if you are, but still trying to figure out if they're worth it on that level, ya know?

While you Are dating, you see/feel/explore whether they're Relationship worthy. You're an item, but an established bf/gf? For the long-term? You should already have a decent probability that they are... but the Dating phase, IMO, is a feeler for that establishment. You'll be sexually engaged, it's a given you'll see each other again without any thoughts of "plans", are exclusive, but at the same time, you're still learning about them on some relatively basic levels as far as how their life meshes or would mesh with yours thru experience.
 genuinegirly10
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/2/2012 12:03:27 AM
WoW that sure is a detailed breakdown of timeline! Keep in mind everyone I Didn't write the article just read it :o) I think following your gut and using common sense is best for sure in choosing a good match. I have never used these forums until this post so its a new world to me. Supporting eachother is hopefully the goal here and not tear eachother down. With some of these rants I've seen posted. Yikes! I'm someone on Pof genuinely to find a great guy and get off the dating site, Still hopeful! great post and view thxs.!
 BeeRad82
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/2/2012 1:31:46 AM
Six dates?!

The next six are on you, friend.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/2/2012 11:02:50 AM
You can generally get a feel for the 'fit' and 'finish' of the person you're meeting within the first thirty seconds of meeting them. 'First impressions', you know. The actual meeting may last well beyond that initial 'gut reaction' moment, but when it's over, you know whether you want to be in their company a second time. In my experience, if the initial meetup doesn't contain some form of a 'click!' or 'spark', second and subsequent datings won't improve anything, and what generally happens is a falling-off in contact frequency, finding or inventing reasons 'why' you aren't available, hoping the phone call isn't them, etc etc ... If there's no 'magic' in the initial meetup, it's best to chuck it with a polite 'Thanks, but no' ...

SIX dates ... ? Surely you jest ...
 TheresAnAppForMe
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/2/2012 3:59:54 PM
that's a bunch of crap. 6 date rule?

if you don't know if you are into that person by date 3 then you've got problems.
 ro1970
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/2/2012 5:17:26 PM
6 date rule??? Heck I can't even get past a meet and greet.
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2012 5:27:45 PM
"6 date rule??? Heck I can't even get past a meet and greet."

Haha

Take it one step further and say some meets and greets never happen because of cold feet.
 forums_gal
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/2/2012 8:57:25 PM
Six dates may be too many. But I have read the article. I think there are some good points in the article. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss someone simply because there weren't major fireworks on a first date / meeting. If a person was at least somewhat attractive and there weren't any obvious dealbreakers, then I would go out on at least 1-2 more dates.

Sometimes there isn't instant fireworks on a first date / meeting because one or both people may be a little bit nervous or shy. Or because 2 people are still virtually strangers at that point. Sometimes a connection does gradually develop over time as 2 people get to know each other better.
 Colemin8r
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2012 6:42:36 PM
Goodness me, another dating rule.

I couldn't find it in my manual: http://tinyurl.com/8a8zeq8

That's like saying I'll go to a particular coffee shop six times to find out if I should keep buying my coffee there. If, after the first four times the service is awful and keep getting overcharged, would anyone hang around for attempts five and six? Similarly, if the service and price were exceptional by the third time, would attempts four though six be necessary?
 juliancannon1990
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/11/2012 6:55:15 PM
ehh i haven't had a date in soo long i do not even know the rules anymore smh
 Brazilian35
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/12/2012 12:10:29 PM
What about if you feel confortable at the first time?
 SC67
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/12/2012 4:02:44 PM
6 dates is way too many for me if I'm not really interested. I don't think it's fair to the guy if I'm still on the fence.
 Misohoni
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/12/2012 8:01:40 PM
Never heard that rule before, but it sounds like a decent guideline as opposed to a rule. It truly shouldn't take longer than that to figure it out. I can decide on one date.
 Maleman999
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/12/2012 8:31:59 PM
Do you mean six dates with each other or a total of six dates to rule out the other five candidates?
 therdtymesachrm
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/12/2012 10:25:40 PM
I think I will just get the Dating for Dummies book. I am sure there must be some rules to follow in there!
 Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2012 10:34:22 PM
What's this whole 3 dates = sex rule? That's just unnerving.
I mean, I LOVE sex, but I just can't throw it out there so soon. Yikes. Also, I have a rule for both of us to get tested before we get between the sheets.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Do you Believe in the 6 Date Rule...?