Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Do you Believe in the 6 Date Rule...?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aintnodeal
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Do you Believe in the 6 Date Rule...?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
CAUTION!!! If you break a dating rule, you may be penalized and have your balls deflated, or be left with nothing but a Hail-Mary to save your date.
 Like2dance
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Do you Believe in the 6 Date Rule...?
Posted: 2/18/2017 12:00:32 PM
For me it is more like a 6 minute rule; sometimes it is a 6 second rule.
 gtomustang
Msg: 132
Posted: 2/18/2017 3:52:37 PM
h0w does the six date rule work with the sex date rule that you two are horizontal by date three? No wonder so many people post about not understanding the hottie they slept with. I think people should just drunk when they date, and throw out the rules.

oh wait, they seem to do that already.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 133
Posted: 2/19/2017 7:46:48 AM
Dating rules are ridiculous.

Go by your gut instincts, and judgment. If you have neither, you shouldn't be dating O_o

You shouldn't put textbook time frames in your mind, as dating isn't textbook. People are different.

However, if you can't figure out whether you like someone or not after spending a few hours with them? Yikes.
 MadameBoisseau
Msg: 134
Posted: 2/19/2017 5:48:07 PM
Studies in europe have been done that show most men know by end of date one whether they want to be an item, where the average woman takes six dates. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2026636/Half-men-know-Miss-Right-date--women-need-six.html

(Personally, these people talking about sex by the third date seem pretty far out there to me. Im not going to risk an std or pregnancy for some guy i only met three times. Wtf?!?! Your country is so sex focused its crazy to me!)
 gtomustang
Msg: 135
Posted: 2/19/2017 6:08:56 PM
I thought it was our Puritan values towards sex (esp. political sex scandals) versus our focus on what we don't feel comfortable having (talking about birth control) that made us weird.
 Maria11418
Msg: 136
Posted: 2/19/2017 8:26:58 PM

Dating rules are ridiculous.

Go by your gut instincts, and judgment. If you have neither, you shouldn't be dating O_o

You shouldn't put textbook time frames in your mind, as dating isn't textbook. People are different.

However, if you can't figure out whether you like someone or not after spending a few hours with them? Yikes.

Agreed! Except for safety and common sense rules.
 LLBean990
Msg: 137
Posted: 2/20/2017 8:32:36 AM
[not a bad approach, unless someone egregiously doesn't have what you're looking for. dunno if i'd give it a month's test drive, tho. three dates tops./]

I agree with Christ, the guru of POF forums. ha ha I met a guy who I thought I would not like....but after seeing him on and off over six months, he began to grow on me...and become more attractive. I was not attracted at first like BOOM! But later the BOOM happened. So with that being said, take your time. Hang out....get to know each other....ya never know.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 138
Posted: 2/20/2017 11:58:41 AM

Except for safety and common sense rules.

You'd like to hope good sound judgment, would factor those things into things, naturally.
Then again, I've heard of one night stand POF pregnancies, so mentioning it -- you may be onto something.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2017 9:14:44 PM

Usually I would say it takes about EIGHT to TEN DATES (two months) for the talks to pop-up.

2 months to see if they're Date-Worthy? Yikes. :) Personally, I think it's closer to a 3-date rule, counting quick mini-dates as "half dates". But YMMV. Not about being serious but about whether they're worth Dating or not. Which sure, doesn't (necessarily) make you an Item at that point, no. As far as being an item, or to be set into "casual cruise control" instead, or parting ways -- I would say probably about a month's worth if you've seen each other enough and communicated enough. Again, YMMV on that, depending on how close it is to common operating procedure (as opposed to starting out distant at right first due to circumstances).

would hope it doesn't take 8-10 dates for something else to "pop-up".

"She's a Man, Baby!"

Why do some marriages last eight to ten years (or longer), before one of them decides they made a mistake in choosing a marriage partner?

Usually it's because they married young, from what I've observed. But generally speaking, I think it's many times the result of being in love with "settling down" as their focal point, where the husband/wife to be is more like an "Insert Person Here". Overlooking issues or potential troubles, thinking that couples go thru rough times, aren't perfect, blah blah, and the goal is to settle down... and then they realize "Oh sh!t, this wasn't a good idea was it?" as things build up over time and there's no more infants or toddlers to take care of.

This is almost the extreme opposite of the "instant chemistry or no second date" rule. Once in a while, it might take up to 6 dates to realize that someone is or isn't a match. But 2-4 dates is more common for me.

Yeah, I agree. It's almost always going to be half the time of "6 date rule" that you get a good sense of it -- with someone you had a decent 1st date with. I'm not a fan of the "instant chemistry" aka "no butterflies, no unzipping my fly" rule. Said person's going to be running on Superstition. I've met a gal for the FIRST time *2* times, months apart. 1st time was bad (IRL), the 2nd time was an online date where we didn't recognize each other, but I did of her. It was great, we hit it off (I never told her it was me even though we dated for a while). Obviously a 1st meet can crash & burn -- don't get me wrong. But riding off Merely a "feeling" one's having thru psychic intuitive powers? Not a good idea. One may be right more often than wrong, but they're throwing the baby out with the bathwater if that's all they're going on.

Personally, these people talking about sex by the third date seem pretty far out there to me. Im not going to risk an std or pregnancy for some guy i only met three times. Wtf?!?!

Exactly. You want to risk an STD or pregnancy after the 6 date. Sheesh, these 3-date rule people -- what are they thinking? ;)
 NoxzemaWA
Msg: 140
Posted: 2/23/2017 6:24:23 PM
putting too much emphasis on dating "rules", many of which are antiquated not all that great in execution, is a surefire way to set yourself up for disappointment.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Do you Believe in the 6 Date Rule...?