Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is This Planet A Success?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 26
Is This Planet A Success?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Would you recommend others come to this world?

If they were the little green men I guess they could be accommodated. Darth Vader types not so much.
 veevee
Msg: 27
Is This Planet A Success?
Posted: 2/3/2012 12:52:05 PM
Yes - because of this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_QRrDReegw
 gingerosity
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 1:47:57 AM
No it isn't a success.

It is... and that is enough. It is matter - a collection of stardust. It has has no control over what it becomes.

The concept of success may have an application for us, because by conscious thought we can change at least something of who we are in the future. If by our thoughts and actions we become who we desire to become, then we have succeeded in achieving our aim. A planet cannot succeed because it has no thought and no power to act towards change from the course already set.
 apurfectmeow
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/6/2012 6:02:30 AM
Yes its a success; we have:

Sex
Grey Goose
and Chocolate

I can reach any life goal with a combination of the above.
Chocolate Grey Goose martini's while having sex- hmmm...

(oh man I didnt and had to look it up as usual)
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 2:09:44 PM
This planet is approx. 4 billion years old... many life forms on it have come and gone.. and it's pretty risk free to say that many more will do the same...

The sun has.. idk.. 10 billion years I think before it goes to red giant phase then shrinks to a dwarf... frying then freezing this little ball of iron, nickel and carbon.. but it will still orbit the little dwarf sun as a planet I believe.

It's doing fine... it's being a planet

how would it fail as a planet? not coalescing in the first place would count, being hit by a large enough cosmic body that it was ripped apart.... I can't really think of any other way it could fail.

However if you mean by the standards of the intergalactic coalition of solar systems.. idk, the jury is still out on that one

;)
 kailania
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/8/2012 6:16:13 PM

Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, "Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?"...God said, "I did do something. I made you

so what is "you" or we, supposed to do to help those less fortunate?
we dont have the medical technology to heal cripples or those born with
severe disease. Or cancer.
we cant control the people who commit murder and rape etc etc.
so while that is a lovely saying and a thought of truth within..
how will it happen unless everyone comes together?

anyway...I think the physical planet is a beautiful success but not people.
 kohavah
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/8/2012 7:33:11 PM
You have mentioned the physical terrain of the planet. A terrain that is beautiful until it becomes an earthquake, a tornado, a tsunami, a fast moving fire, a mud slide, a volcano. These events has uprooted more people and caused more destruction than any number of so called man made disasters. We did not create this world, we did not create the governing bodies, but others did. How can Man kind be responsible for that which was outside of his or her control, before we were ever placed here?

My idea of success is not to encourage, lure or place individuals, mere children in an unsafe environment hoping for the best. I find this idea sadistic. When one considers how little we know, and how little we know if we were to live to be 100 years old, in relation to this world, it makes one recognize that the planners of this planet should be held accountable to us. We are merely the outcome of their enourmous evolutionary failure.
 kailania
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:27:33 PM
Kohava, I think in your last post you made a good point and it made a lot of sense to me.
K
 aremeself
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:40:48 PM
most people on here would be up to their ass in alligators, and everything would still be just fine!

the world is up to its ass in alligators.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:59:08 PM

if we were to live to be 100 years old, in relation to this world, it makes one recognize that the planners of this planet should be held accountable to us. We are merely the outcome of their enourmous evolutionary failure.

Don't know about you, But I intend to do my best to get there... (100)

The planners of human society are you, your peers, your neighbors and all your ancestors, the world population is currently in some bit of flux and you also have your bit of responsibility to be the change you wish to see...

We homo sapiens humans have not been an evolutionary failure yet... If we get through the next two decades of various political/geological/demographic shift crises, with each of us contributing our part to the solutions, keeping the physical plant functioning while humming along to "We are the World", then we shall have succeeded rather well...
 NJ_Phil
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/9/2012 7:15:33 AM
This planet is simply a small rock in a big place that beat the odds during formation of the universe. Life as we know is based on what conditions and materials were here allowing a seed present in a comet to take hold and start what we call the life and the beginnings of the evolutionary chain.

My question is where did this seed come from. I want off this rock and want to go there.

We are screwing this planet up and it's only a mater of time before it screws us back.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2012 7:50:20 AM
We've made great strides...
There are those who will always want to keep us back, but despite all that, we have progressed forward.
The typical peasant today (regular joe and jane Q citizen) has a vast choice of food options for one. That alone is such a staggering leap forward.
We have medicines and technology.
Although we still have violent sports or shows, we no longer watch lions eat people as entertainment.
Each era advances slowly and we are still going forward despite some setbacks.
 Tah,
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/13/2012 3:37:37 PM
Over half this world goes without food or shelter....
The nations that are rich most of the citizens are either mules to drug companies or they obiece..the practises they employ to supply energy and food are poison to this planet and in thier selfishness they don't care....

The seas once abundant with food are turning on us, as are the rivers that have been neglected...

Churchil once said 'so much is owed by so many to so few" when his airforce beat the other mobs in the most destructive of wars ever that we still don't prevent.

one could say that" so much is owned by so few at the expense of so many"

If this scenario was just inside your family your parents would be deemed unsuitable to raise you.

How your parents raise you impacts on how you raise your children and how they will raise there's....flow on effect like a river....if that river doesnt make the sea then the shit starts backing up like a blocked sewer....
 veevee
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/13/2012 7:48:17 PM
And humans aren't extinct.
Do your part if you want but geez if I can be as negative as I am and still see that this place isn't all doom and gloom why is that foreign to others.

If you have a problem with the govt. - go be an activist.
Problem with pollution - clean up your own act then tell others about it.
Problem with world hunger - get on out there and make some micro loans to poor countries.

All this frickin' wallowing makes me wish people would just disappear - they clearly don't have the capacity to ever enjoy things and only want to point fingers.

Rich people point at poor people and reverse.
Everyone points at corporations yet most of them earn their living from them or their parents did. Weren't evil when they paid for your pampers and kept you out of the welfare lines. Aren't evil now if they are paying your mortgage.
Poor countries look at rich countries with resentment and rich countries try their hardest not to become poor countries.

When is all this crap going to end.
If you only have complaints and can't think of any solutions - you are as much a part of the problem as everything you are complaining about because all you carry is a broken umbrella and it's always raining on your side of town, real helpful for the planet and the species - thanks for helping out.
 Tah,
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/13/2012 8:08:40 PM
That post is actualy off topic...not that you'd ever understand
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/14/2012 8:12:06 AM
There are many who maintain the mindset of 'Think locally, act globally' while never understanding their major premise is flawed - not that it would make a difference the other way 'round.
 veevee
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/14/2012 12:13:28 PM
That post is actualy off topic...not that you'd ever understand

It was a general rant - not directly at your topics but lots of things that seem to keep coming up - the world is broken type thought when we have the largest chance to affect it being the most dominating force right now (in our minds but the panthers might disagree in the jungles if we aren't quick enough with our guns :P ).
 Tah,
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/14/2012 3:46:41 PM
Its about the planet, not us....

This planet can be self centered, breaths fire...
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/14/2012 4:40:32 PM
^^^
Exactly. Fires, earthquakes, volcanoes and storms are not destructive. They are very much productive. The only thing they "destroy" are the humans that chose to build an abode in their path.
 Tah,
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/14/2012 5:09:18 PM
Agreed.
And people think they are above that and while they do they will never comprehend our purpose.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/14/2012 5:39:01 PM
@ 53 ...

" ... our purpose. ... "

'OUR purpose' ... ? Oh please. This is way too 'woo-hoo' and 'tin-foil hat' ...
 red_fir
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/21/2012 1:39:12 AM
I once heard a tongue in cheek definition of gravity, as an artificial force imposed from outside to keep mankind from spreading.
Without equivocation Agent Smiths (The Matrix) definition of a cancer fits humanity to a T....
If mankind was designed for the purpose of mindless consumption of every resource and wanton destruction without purpose or goal, than we are a raging success.
 red_fir
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/21/2012 2:24:31 AM
In response to the O.P. post 17.
Does a parent whom allows a headstrong child to touch a hot surface after repeated warnings about the dangers thereof, expose him to needless danger, or nurture the child's ability to learn and profit from experience?
I.E. would humanity ever grow up if danger and opportunity were removed?
And can you have opportunity without risk and still have it be meaningful?
All things seem pointless and random when considered on a case by case basis.
But.....if indeed this life is a placement test for more yet to come then the overall experience (and the reaction thereto) is far more important than the episodes.
From a child's viewpoint these episodes are cruel, as a parent ( God/owner/master) do you want to still be guarding and warning a thirty year old against dangers he could have processed when he was six?
 red_fir
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/21/2012 2:42:02 AM
And since we are dealing with an eternity of time whom can say how many cycles of "experience" we are to go through before we have experienced enough to be an "adult participant"?
Perhaps this cycle identifies the needlessly cruel and unjustifiably selfish in order to weed them out of the next cycle.
Perhaps it only identifies those whom are unable to forgive...........
Maybe the (God/owner/master) just doesn't care for tattletale and whiners....

A successful test doesn't need the participants approval or comprehension of the test parameters.
 null_locus_accede
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/21/2012 3:30:16 AM
From a distance the planet is a huge success.
My home world calls this world a "pop culture sun".
Cuz it's like a sun, only it's emissions are stuff like "The Ultimate Showdown" and "The Idiots of Garry's Mod".
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is This Planet A Success?