Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Defunding Planned Parenthood-A Painful Betrayal      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justcheckingfor1
Msg: 363
Defunding Planned Parenthood-A Painful BetrayalPage 18 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
"Perhaps one day you may not be adequaetly covered by insurance & need a prostate or testicular cancer screening? Or a vasectomy? Or any general mens health issue? And if you are fortunate enough not to need PP, would you not want your fellow brethren to have access to affordable mens healthcare services?"

^^^ As long as my tax money is not going to it, and it is being done by private donations, then I have no problem with it. Also I want my tax money to benefit me. If it is not currently benefitting me, then in my humble opinion I am being robbed. As far as college students go, If they don't know by then where babies come from, then they should not be in college to start with. Also, they should be studying and going to class to begin with. If they have time to do other activities, then the professors are not giving them enough work to do.

Someone who is not paying taxes should not be allowed any sort of extra benefit nor should they be given handouts.

Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 364
Defunding Planned Parenthood-A Painful Betrayal
Posted: 3/20/2012 1:15:03 PM

Also I want my tax money to benefit me.

So you think de-funding PP and thus increasing the costs both economically and socially to society (which includes you) is a benefit?

Someone who is not paying taxes should not be allowed any sort of extra benefit nor should they be given handouts.

I agree, but how do your think you can stop corporation like GE from taking millions in subsides and handouts and yet still pay no taxes?
 Casper66
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 6:40:11 PM
Defunding PP, would actually increase healthcare costs, early detection medical exams for both men and women cut costs because medical problems are caught earlier before they require expensive treatments or expensive emergeny room admissions later. If certain cancers are found early the survival rates increase and the patient has more treatment options. It also helps those people that have lost jobs and can no longer afford insurance, which can happen to anyone in this economy, so what if they perform abortions aswell, it is a legal procedure and no one elses business but the Doctor and their patient. I doubt anyone would want a complete stranger deciding for them what medical procedures they could and couldn't have. PP provide a valuable health service to the communities they serve and should be supported not used as a political ploy.
 cotter
Msg: 366
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 7:07:32 PM

Our unemployed Iraq and Afghan vets ... aw Hell, all our unemployed vets will be glad to hear they no longer deserve any "handouts".
 Justcheckingfor1
Msg: 367
Posted: 3/21/2012 5:18:37 AM
"Our unemployed Iraq and Afghan vets ... aw Hell, all our unemployed vets will be glad to hear they no longer deserve any "handouts"

^^^They served the country. So therefore they get to have benefits. Just like the benefits I recieved when I served in the military. Taxes were taken out of my pay checks when I was in the service by the way. If I had my way, combat veterans would get to have all of their college tuition paid for, and recieve healthcare benefits for life.
As far a s planned parenthood goes, if one single unwanted pregnancy happens, then to me they should be shut down. They are doing nothing but being frauds.

This thread is about defunding the Fraud organization of Planned Parenthood, not about the military.

The fact that we need an organization for folks who are to cheap or lazy to use birthcontrol is pretty sad to begin with. Common sense is not that common unfortunately.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 368
Posted: 3/21/2012 5:29:10 AM

As far a s planned parenthood goes, if one single unwanted pregnancy happens, then to me they should be shut down. They are doing nothing but being frauds.

So if one murder occurs in your home town would you close down the police department?

The fact that we need an organization for folks who are to cheap or lazy to use birthcontrol is pretty dad to begin with. Common sense is not that common unfortunately.

Pot Meet Kettle.
 Justcheckingfor1
Msg: 369
Posted: 3/21/2012 5:45:00 AM
"So if one murder occurs in your home town would you close down the police department?"

^^^The police department only enforces the law. They don't do anything to keep the law from being broken. This thread is about defunding Planned Parenthood, not about the police department. In case you just got here to post...

"Pot Meet Kettle. "

^^^Nope, not at all. Reproduction ed is already taught in schools and by parents. If there needs to be another organization for this, then it needs to be done by donations, and not with tax dollars. After all, I don' think the founding fathers had planned parenthood in mind when they started this country. Oh wait, you don't live in the USA now do you? Speeking of Pots and Kettles and such.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 370
Posted: 3/21/2012 6:07:45 AM

^^^The police department only enforces the law. They don't do anything to keep the law from being broken.

I think you may have just divide by zero with that statement.

^^^Nope, not at all. Reproduction ed is already taught in schools and by parents. If there needs to be another organization for this, then it needs to be done by donations, and not with tax dollars.

Yes and it is doing such a great job.

Seeing the US has highest teen birth rate by far as compared to any other developed country.

After all, I don' think the founding fathers had planned parenthood in mind when they started this country.

Yes and that is what matters today, what someone thought over 200 years ago.

Though seeing as this thread is about Planned Parenthood not the founding fathers in case you just got here.

Oh wait, you don't live in the USA now do you? Speeking of Pots and Kettles and such.

I do not think you know what Pot Meet Kettle means.
 Justcheckingfor1
Msg: 371
Posted: 3/21/2012 7:42:03 AM
"Yes and that is what matters today, what someone thought over 200 years ago.
Though seeing as this thread is about Planned Parenthood not the founding fathers in case you just got here
I do not think you know what Pot Meet Kettle means"

^^^Yes what someone thought 200 years ago matters a great deal, because we would not be here, if they did not think about it. No one has to live here if they dissagree with what the founding fathers thought, they can move to another place on the planet that agrees with what they think. Pot Meet Keetle does not mean anything to me. Just because it is often used on these threads does not mean it means something to everyone.

"I think you may have just divide by zero with that statement"

^^^I was not aware that this thread was about division. It is about an organization called planned parenthood. An organization that should only be funded by donations and not tax payer money.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 372
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:14:27 AM
What do you all think? You think that someone went after this state senators office because she supports Planned Parenthood?

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/864973/right-wing_terrorism_texas_state_senator_and_planned_parenthood_supporter%27s_office_is_damaged_in_firebombing/
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 373
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:14:47 AM

Yes what someone thought 200 years ago matters a great deal, because we would not be here, if they did not think about it...

So then why do you want to go against the founding fathers with respect to abortion?

Because they where all for it.

As it was not until the mid to late 1800's when evangelical Protestants, soon followed by Catholics, instituted prohibitions with regards to abortion.
 matchlight
Msg: 374
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:37:40 AM

Most of them were probably all for roast beef and a glass of Madeira, too. So what? It's the things they advocated in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution which count. If the men who founded this country favored abortion, they didn't favor it strongly enough to include a provision in the Constitution guaranteeing it against government infringement.

Who first opposed abortion in the U.S., etc. may be interesting history, but it has nothing to do with government funding of a private organization like Planned Parenthood. Nor does its effectiveness change the legitimacy of federal funding. A state can fund organizations like that or not, just as it likes.
 Justcheckingfor1
Msg: 375
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:39:00 AM
"So then why do you want to go against the founding fathers with respect to abortion?
As it was not until the mid to late 1800's when evangelical Protestants, soon followed by Catholics, instituted prohibitions with regards to abortion."

^^^I am not completely against abortion. I am against men not being allowed the same choice that women have when it comes to abortion. I am for equal rights. Reproduction rights should be the same for both men and women, without having one being able to trump the other one. I am against any of my tax money going to fund abortion or birth control. If I have to pay for it, then so should everyone else. Planned Parenthood should be privately funded by those who support it. I have never been against women having the right to choose, I just want men to have that same right. So if a woman gets pregnant, and her boyfriend or lover decides he does not want to keep it, then he either should not have to pay child support or have the right to have something he to a part in creating aborted.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 376
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:49:12 AM

...I am agaist any of my tax money going to fund abortion or birth control...

Do you at least understand by taking away the funding to an organization like PP, it will cost you as a tax payer more in the long run?
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 377
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:53:10 AM
@ Nr 444 ...

" ... Do you at least understand by taking away the funding to an organization like PP, it will cost you as a tax payer more in the long run? ... "

Nice little generalization. How 'bout some specifics to prove the point? You buy into the premise that 'Planned Parenthood' is actually about how to BECOME a parent, whereas its mission is to PREVENT the possibility of parenthood ever becoming a reality for their 'clients'. I know - this comes as a shock. Have a tea. It will pass.
 Justcheckingfor1
Msg: 378
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:56:39 AM
"Do you at least understand by taking away the funding to an organization like PP, it will cost you as a tax payer more in the long run?"

^^^Not if people are held accountable by their own actions. It would cost the free loafers, and force them to get up off of their behinds and make something of themselves.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 379
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:57:42 AM

Nice little generalization. How 'bout some specifics to prove the point? Oh - you don't bother with specifics? My bad.

Probably because it has already been pointed out, but seeing as it is far to complicated for you to figure out all by yourself here is some hints:

Things covered by PP:
Education, Birth control & Abortions.

Things not covered:
Babies

Which do you think cost more in the long term?
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 380
Posted: 3/21/2012 10:59:06 AM
^ ^ ^

Specifics, not more generalizations. Surely you can find SOMETHING to support your 'claim' ... ?
 Twilightslove
Msg: 381
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:04:21 AM

Finding affordable health insurance for pregnancy can be challenging.

Over 41 million Americans are uninsured, and many of those who are insured are underinsured. As a result, there are approximately 13% of women who become pregnant each year who are not insured, which often results in inadequate prenatal care.

Another challenge uninsured pregnant women face is that some insurance plans consider pregnancy a pre-existing condition. Medicaid, a federal funded program for low income persons, will accept women who are already pregnant. However if you are not eligible to receive Medicaid, it can still be a challenge to pay for all the prenatal visits and delivery. The estimated cost of delivery alone is $6,000 – $8,000 for a low risk pregnancy, and the cost increases if it is a high risk pregnancy.

This is the crisis that many pregnant women find themselves facing when they learn that they are pregnant. The excitement of being pregnant is quickly dissolved by the worry and anxiety of financial burden.
Goverment Funded Programs

Medicaid is a state run program that is federally funded. Medicaid provides medical assistance for low-income families and individuals. To locate an office near you go to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
You may find that there are other options, depending on your state, which provide additional programs for women who are pregnant such as Medi-cal from the state of California. You can check with your local department of health at Health Departments by State for information on local programs that may further assist you.

WIC is a federal agency that serves to safeguard the health of low-income women, infants and children under the age of 5. WIC provides nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating, and referrals to health care. To get more information you can go to Women, Infants and Children.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/planningandpreparing/affordablehealthcare.html

EDIT: I just heard of a high risk new infant that has already rang up $500,000. in medical bills. Also, most of the low income infants born qualify for Medicaid or CHIPS for 18 years.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 382
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 11:38:13 AM
Planned Parenthood helps prevent an estimated 1,000,000 unwanted pregnancies/year, 400,000 of which would have ended up in abortion.

For every dollar invested in family planning, we get a 400% return in avoided social costs further down the line.
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/09_HPU19.3Frost.pdf

In going after ideological attacks on womens' reproductive rights, the far right are being fiscally irresponsible, and underestimating the power of women scorned. A republican politician on the subject.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-03-23/news/bs-ed-morella-women-20110323_1_planned-parenthood-federal-funding-family-planning
 Twilightslove
Msg: 383
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 12:09:23 PM
There is always the free school lunch program, food stamps, head start programs, big brother big sister and various other programs that the unplanned children utilize. I believe those are all tax payer funded as well. Then there is Medical Transportation, MHMR, etc. that help with these children who are born with poor health (some of it due to inadequate nutrition of the pregnant mom because of poverty).
 matchlight
Msg: 384
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 3:13:38 PM
Where on earth does the notion come from, that as long as a lot of people think a federal program is wonderful--even if they can show it's effective--that's the end of the story? How about that little question of proper authority--you know, the rule of law a free country absolutely must respect if it wants to stay free?

Congress doesn't get to pass laws authorizing whatever most people happen to like at the time. It has to have some constitutional power for every law it makes. Those powers are limited and specified--unlike state governments, the federal government has no general authority.

If enough Americans want badly enough for the federal government to do something it's not authorized to do, they can amend the Constitution to give it the necessary power. When we cut corners in this process, we are putting our personal liberties in danger.
 MondoVman
Msg: 385
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 4:54:50 PM
To those enthralled with free BC:
If your daughter were to squat out a baby she couldn't afford to care for, then shame on you.
Shame on you for not properly raising your daughter to begin with.
Shame on you and your daughter for demanding government handouts.
Shame on you for not stepping in to raise the child to the age of 18 on your own dime.

Advocating irresponsibility and non-accountability is un-American.

Excuses like EX's that he's just an old, fat white man living in a backwards state like Tenntucky are NO excuses.

Also, in the same vein as the perpetual a-hole who favors every social giveaway program with his argument of what might happen to society without that program ...
... What would be the cost of YOU (not the government) buying YOUR daughter's BC versus the cost to society for any children that she cannot afford and that YOU refuse to raise?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 386
Posted: 3/21/2012 5:25:31 PM
Yanno...it's telling when someone comes here into the threads and says things like...

what if your daughter were to squat out a baby she couldn't afford
..and thinks they actually like children and young adults...somehow there is a disconnect that's appalling...and an abismal choice of words.

And if these same misguided people thing that we democrats wish to place people on the perpetual dole... I guess it does show they don't listen well...but, for those that truly need assistance I think we democrats feel they should be lent a helping hand to return to their feet...somehow, somewhere, acts of kindness are rewarded in more than full.

And to those that think taxpayer funds go to providing abortions...well, they do go to providing abortions in cases of rape and incest...or to save the life of the mother...but, the evangelical feel these aren't good enough excuses for an exception...still in all other cases using taxpayer funds for abortions is illegal-even though that's been said time and again-the uber right wingers believe the drivel they've been fed.

And yes, it is a statistic that birth control saves over 400% the cost of childbirth...total cost of BC vs the total number of children never concieved....and in that equation the cost of caring for the few children that are not cared for by their bio mother and father is not present...if one added the additional financial burden of caring for unwanted children...birthcontrol is a vast savings over the alternative.

And as I know it Planned Parenthood provides birth control, men and women's reproductive healthcare, and some cancer screenings...and abortions at 3% opf their total parctice....they provide adoption services, and fertility care...they truly help women have children when they are ready to have children....hence the name "Planned" Parenthood.
 cotter
Msg: 387
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2012 7:46:43 PM
We pay the premium ... the insurance company has the money ... why can't women get what they pay for? No one is asking anyone to pay for birth control who doesn't want it.

If the "theocratic employer doesn't want their employee to use birth control, then they need to take that to the pulpit and keep it off the workroom floor. They need to approach the people in their church instead of the workroom floor.

It's not our fault if their believers are not sucking it up and laying off the birth control without it being forbidden for all.

If I send my child to summer camp along with diabetic children, should the whole camp be denied ice cream just because the diabetic children aren't supposed to be consuming it? Or should we just let the non-diabetic children have their ice cream and find an alternative for those who aren't supposed to have it.

Why not let the ladies have their birth control for those who religiously qualify. Then for those who are not supposed to use it perhaps use that part of their premium money instead for counseling "religiously impaired" women on how to avoid unwanted pregnancy.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Defunding Planned Parenthood-A Painful Betrayal