Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Goldentyga117
Msg: 51
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
^^^^^^^

I don't know what kinda reggae you've listened to but it's mostly NOT steel drum music.

I'm pretty picky with music...I like most things except for the majority of rock/metal/alternative/emo etc...type of music...mainly because 1. You can't dance to it
and 2. I just can't relate to it...i'm generally a pretty happy positive guy...i can't stand all this whiny baby emo crap lately...like "WAHHHH i'm 35 and still depressed about the girl i couldn't take to the prom" or angry music....i can't relate to people being angry about pretty much nothing. It's not a dealbreaker for me if people listen to that stuff but i wouldn't personally ever willingly listen to it or go to a concert with them.
 Uonlyliveonce5
Msg: 52
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?
Posted: 2/8/2012 8:50:10 PM
Man if the music she doesn't like is a dealerbreaker..... bad news, you will probably die alone.

If this is a dealbreaker, you must have a list of dealbreakers that is a mile long. Must like the same movies, must like the same sports teams, must like the same type of beer, etc.

These are all petty things that you should overlook and look at the bigger picture.
 lauramae18
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/8/2012 9:21:35 PM
I'm with NatureMaid. I don't so much care what you listen to as long as you listen to something!
I listen to a little of everything depending on my mood. I might not always know who sings it, and I might not sing it well, but I'll give it all a try. It's one of the reasons I enjoy Pandora and Slacker radio so much ; I pick a genre according to my mood and away I go.
I have to say though: it might be a deal breaker if he can only get his groove on listening to one kind of music. I wasn't able to listen to Trapt or Breaking Benjamin for about 6 months after a doomed relationship.
 VeilofPapaya
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/9/2012 6:48:13 AM
One thing i can't stand is when people say they to listen to "everything" and like all types of music. i dont have many peeves but this one i cannot stand for the life of me. 9.99 times out of ten their personality is revealed through that statement, like somehow they're better than you because they listen to led zeppelin or the shins or freaking dubstep.
 ontario_woman
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 7:16:39 AM

Do any of you have bands that you dislike so.much, that it's a dealbreaker if the opposite sex likes them?

That's what headphones are for.

My ex and I had very different tastes in music.

Although there were many things that created problems in our relationship, our differing music tastes was never one of them.
 lauramae18
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/9/2012 10:17:41 AM
Papaya, in no way do I say it because I think I'm better than you.. . Or anyone else
But truly, I listen to everything. Some stuff I might listen to more than others, but I've a wide range of friends who all contribute to my musical listening education.
 VeilofPapaya
Msg: 57
Posted: 2/9/2012 12:43:12 PM
Lauramae18 that statement is much more humble than the type of people ive met who've proclaimed they listen to everything.

Someone who likes Jack Johnson and would never listen to heavy metal or punk rock cannot proclaim they listen to everything, and vice versa as well because metal heads and punkers are just as close minded (they give a metal/hardcore listener like myself a bad name).

I made my statement based on experience, and some people dont understand the difference between "I listen to everything", "I try to listen to everything, even though i may not like it", and "I think i listen to everything minus this and that"
 browneyesboo
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/9/2012 1:04:49 PM
I enjoy most types of music, but I don't like all the songs or
artists in every genre. I can't imagine musical tastes would be
a deal breaker, unless someone insists on dragging you to a
concert you'd not be interested in attending.

On a side note...do people really change the stations or cds
in cars they're not driving? Whoa. Isn't that like walking into
someone's house and rearranging the furniture?
 VeilofPapaya
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/9/2012 1:31:09 PM
If people actually do that their musical tastes are the last thing you should worry about, you should make sure those 3 dollars are still in your wallet. That's an invasion of property and a sign of controlling behavior because they can't have what they want.

Man I'm really on a rant today, stressful day at work
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 1:31:59 PM
Yes.. it's a deal breaker

There are certain kinds of music that go with certain mindsets.. especially I have found with those who are absolutely stuck on one certain kind of music (country comes to mind as an example - and gangsta rap) Music is culture.. like literature or art. A persons musical taste and repertoire is very indicative of who they are among other things. But I'm an audiophile.. so it could just be me

For me, anyone who has never explored music beyond what is fed to them by radio, especially top 40 stuff is too umm... average, boring, unadventurous for me. Even in classic rock some of the best stuff never, or rarely, made it to the airwaves. Most of the finest music has been completely ignored by top 40 charts and radio (except some college radio).

there is also the fact that there is music I can not bear to be around - anything auto-tuned is a beginning point, I can't stand country... corp rock - like Nickelback and Coldplay.. horrid, rap in most cases, hip hop, in most cases... classic rock that is so overplayed it's become a caricature of itself. I have wide musical tastes from Mozart's piano concertos to alternative metal and industrial to ragtime and blues to post punk, celtic to avante garde and art rock... punk.. very wide tastes.

But I think the coolest thing is when someone can turn me on to a new artist.. something I haven't heard before but is fabulous.. (or I can share mine with them) and I love live music, so yes music is a big part of compatibility - especially if you are sharing air space.
 cooldog65
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 5:06:11 PM
"On a side note...do people really change the stations or cds in cars they're not driving? Whoa."

"If people actually do that their musical tastes are the last thing you should worry about, you should make sure those 3 dollars are still in your wallet. That's an invasion of property and a sign of controlling behavior because they can't have what they want."

Yes! My last was notorious for that. I was willing to compromise if she asked, but she usually didn't. Unfortunately, she didn't care that it was my car. I never touched her stereo if I was in her car. Just common courtesy. She had the "I can do what I want to do" attitude. I can only shake my head.
 forums_gal
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/9/2012 7:04:01 PM
There are certain kinds of music that go with certain mindsets.. especially I have found with those who are absolutely stuck on one certain kind of music (country comes to mind as an example - and gangsta rap) Music is culture.. like literature or art. A persons musical taste and repertoire is very indicative of who they are among other things. But I'm an audiophile.. so it could just be me

Music taste isn't necessarily a general indicator for how people may act or think. I know people who have the same music taste. But have very little else in common. I also know people with different music tastes. But have many other things in common.

If you don't like what your date listens to, then he can use headphones or listen to his music when you aren't around.

For the most part, I think not dating someone that you generally like and have other things in common with simply due to music taste is a trival dealbreaker. It can be similiar to not dating someone because he or she likes different types of movies, TV shows, restaurants etc.

There can be a few exceptions such as someone's career or lifestyle largely revolving around music or someone forcing their music on you. But the latter is more about someone's controlling personality than music taste itself.
 _allen_
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2012 7:21:58 PM
Her musical taste isn't a dealbreaker as long as I'm not forced to listen her preferences.

I'm an audiophile! I'm the guy you see who always has ear buds on EVERYWHERE I go. Yeah, I'm that guy! I have playlist stacked on top of playlists on my Spotify account, who doesn't mind spending hundreds or thousands of $ on various brands of headphones and/or earbuds.

My musical tastes varies but I can say, I'm really not into anything mainstream. I frequent bars and musical lounges each weekend listing to live music. My idea of fun is spending a Sunday morning discovering new music/artists, putting together new playlists, etc.
 RedElectric
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/9/2012 9:02:02 PM
Only if he likes hip hop/rap. It grates on my nerves!
 grove_22
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/10/2012 6:41:32 AM
I dated a woman that had different music tastes. That didn't cause any problems. It would only be a dealbreaker if they expected me to listen to their music.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2012 7:07:43 AM
Yes it is for me.
You can tell a person's personality and their intelligence level based on the music selection.
I don't care. If she listens to garbage, garbage is likely gonna come out of her.
It also tells me if she's just another societal lemming or someone who carves out her own path in life without excuses.
 grove_22
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/10/2012 12:03:01 PM
Music taste and intelligence / personality aren't necessarily dependent of each other. There are many people that have the same music taste. But one person is quiet and the other is outgoing. Or one person is an airhead and the other person has a lot of practical smarts. Besides good music taste is subjective. What's garbage to you can be great music for someone else.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/10/2012 1:23:30 PM
The two types of music I think I can say that I definitely can't stand are techno and heavy metal. I have a very strong preference for more gentle music, such as Josh Groban. I'm not sure I'd call it a deal-breaker unless either of those two genres were a heavy part of his life such that I'd ever have to hear it.
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/10/2012 3:13:53 PM
I like all types of music, I certainly have my favorite genres, but I can pretty much find something, at least a few songs, I enjoy listening to in any type.

Oh yeah, but has anyone actually asked themselves if lots of this stuff (much of what I don't consider music at all) listened to today, if it would have been acceptable 20 or 30 years ago? If even that? "Lamb of God", Nirvanna and other $hit like that, is an insult to the original concept of music. I call it "noisic", because it does not deserve the honor and distinction of being refered to as music in my eyes.
 lobo65
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2012 5:27:21 PM
Oh, good grief. Are we that picky that we turn somebody down because of their musical tastes? Seriously? I don't care what the lady listens too as long as I don't have to hear it when we're together if it's a band I don't like.
 good_catch77
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/11/2012 8:01:20 AM
They'd have to be "into" some really freaky stuff in music to be outside my tastes. I'm a music lover. Pink Floyd is my all time favorite band of any genre. I can keep up with about anybody on a conversation about any genre of music...FYI Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd fame) made a opera a few years ago quite good as well.

The only types I don't like is the singers where you cannot understand what they are singing. Some metal and rap respectively. On my "ipod" I've got everything from Hank Williams Sr, Coolio, Godsmack, AC/DC, Buddy Guy, back to Garth Brooks even some bluegrass too. I just love music in general.

So no I would not include music as a red flag...
 LathaMath
Msg: 72
Posted: 2/11/2012 8:12:44 AM
Dealbreaker? What kind of deal are you writing about? Since I'm not interested in moving in with anyone and am probably not going to be around enough for it to be an issue I don't see musical taste being a deal breaker.
 flgirl7007
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/12/2012 10:10:26 PM
I still say that music should not be a dealbreaker. It you both like different things have both genres in the car and you each take turns on days that you both listen to what. There should be SOME music SOMEWHERE that you can both agree with!: applause:
 flgirl7007
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/12/2012 10:13:06 PM
Thank you Lobo for some sane comments!

While music is EXTREMELY important to some of us, it is not important enough to be a DEAL BREAKER in a relationship! That's what earphones, Ipods, etc. were made for!
 Luke_Mason
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/12/2012 10:37:45 PM
Music is wonderful, and it feels good to listen to everything. Maybe the OP believes personality might be related to musical preference. I was astounded that someone on this thread dislikes Phil Collins! The world is truly going to end.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?