Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Robert122077
Msg: 81
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Musical deal breakers for me:

1. Hates the Beatles
2. Owns even one Bush CD/album/mp3

Beyond that, I'm open.
 seventiesbaby2
Msg: 82
Musical taste being a dealbreaker?
Posted: 2/15/2012 10:20:59 AM
Its not totally a deal breaker but it can lead to a divorce. My ex husband was a huge Grateful dead fan... He also only would listen to them the beatles and santana. He played these bands 24 hours a day. So it wasnt the only reason for the divorce... but it was HUGE turnoff.... he put down any other music... and it was very hard to reason with him.. and his constant obsession... no more deadheads for me.. so its kinda a dealbreaker
 passportlove
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:08:18 PM
How does my taste in music determine my character? How I will treat you? Where or not if I am kind, hard working, loves to enjoy life, open minded, willing to compromise, honest, caring....you get my point. You can me missing out on some amazing people because you dislike what they have on their Ipod, etc. I have to the following in constant rotation:

Led Zeplin, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Hall n Oates, Marvin Gaye, Common, Jay Z, Kanye, Beyonce, Mariah, Jill Scott, Korn, Metallica, Doobie Brothers, Sergio Mendes, Alejadro Fernandez, Reba, Christina, DeadMau5, Morcheeba, Tricky, Portishead, Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Victor Manuelle, Grupo Revelacao, Styx, Air Supply, Go Go's, Duran Duran, Parliment Funkadelic, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, NIN, Gin Blossoms, Nightwish

My genres go from Hard Rock, Metal, Rap, Hip Hop, Country, Jazz, Soft Rock, Adult Contemporary, Samba, Pagode, Salsa, Pop, R&B, Techno/Dance/Electronica/Dubstep, Trip Hop, Alternative, Ambient.... This just says I like this kind of music and it says nothing of my character.
 codedout
Msg: 84
Posted: 2/16/2012 1:18:53 PM
I am a DJ, so i play all kinds of music. I do have the courtesy not to play music that my wife hates when she is around. When shes gone though time to crank it up.

On the other side when shes around i try to accomodate her tastes in music, and yes we do have a lot in common. I think courtesy consideration and comprimise is always a good solution.

NikonGuy007
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2014 7:56:35 PM
Barring something really extreme.........................no. Musical taste (or lack thereof), would not be a "deal-breaker" for me.

I have been accused of being 'picky' & 'particular' about non-physical traits. That very well may be true. I have an I-pod and whatnot. Probably have a couple thousand songs on the computer. Sometimes, I enjoy listening to music, and I have genres and artists who I like more than others, but would not say that I "love" music or that, "I can't live without music in my life."

As long as she is not changing the radio station while I am driving or obnoxiously singing along to stuff that she knows that I particularly dislike, I don't care enough about music for this to be an issue for me.
 south_city
Msg: 86
Posted: 7/23/2014 8:22:46 PM
I have dated women that listed to different music genres. When we were in the same room, we would compromise and listen to music that both of us can tolerate, one person would have headphones, or we would listen to a non-music station. Music taste would only be a dealbreaker when a woman is unwilling to compromise and expects me to listen to her music all the time when we are together. But that is probably more about a woman being a control freak instead of just music taste itself.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/23/2014 8:35:38 PM
Really depends on the venue.

Abba or Enya at a BBQ? Nope.

On the dance floor or couch? Sure.

Bed? Tone Loc works:)
 bamagrl68
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/23/2014 8:52:20 PM
myscreennamerox- Music is a passion of mine and I'm always open to hearing new things, so it would be pretty hard to get me to dump someone over their taste in music.
ok, I would probably think about it if they like techno music or the type of rap where all they do is glorify violence and belittle women.
Oh, and DON'T touch my radio settings or blast me out of the car, I'd like to keep what little hearing I have left ;)
 prepgal
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/23/2014 9:28:53 PM
I I think a couple should have some common interests. But music taste doesn't have to be one of them. If the "worst" thing about a man was his music taste, I would be very happy.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/23/2014 10:34:54 PM
I just couldn't see myself with someone who is into country music. Just not my thing at all. Couldn't stand to listen to it for five minutes.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/24/2014 8:49:39 AM
My deal breaker isn't listening to rap, it's when you act like you listen to rap.

And Beethoven is boring, he's just the most known because everyone knows and heard a couple things by, I think you should put Vivaldi in his place.
 Foodnmusicguy
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/24/2014 9:16:09 AM
It's not just a case of not being able to listen to the same music when you're in the car, for example but more importantly .... I actually lose RESPECT for someone when I find out they like certain types of music and/or artists.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/24/2014 9:52:57 AM
LOL...how utterly ridiculous for the OP to claim that a woman who likes Cold Play or Nickelback is a 'dealbreaker' for him. Good Christ, if you're going to be THAT petty, you're going to be single for a long, long time.

I feel like I'm watching an episode of Seinfeld just reading the OP. Jerry broke up with a woman because she ate her peas one at a time and he broke up with another one because she kept wearing the same dress. Elaine broke up with random guys for reasons just as ridiculous. The point is, they were constantly finding ludicrous reasons as "deal breakers" - and not surprisingly, they remained single for years.

This type of silliness is exactly why.
 hemingway114
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:32 AM
From the movie Eat Pray Love:

Felipe: "I'm also really into Phil Collins and Air Supply."
Liz: "You really shouldn't say things like that out loud."
 RedrockJen
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/24/2014 10:28:34 AM
Music... we all have our own soundtracks to our lives--bands and songs that were influential in out formative years. I'd love to meet someone that loves The Smiths and New Order as much as me (deal maker). I have lots of online acquaintances I share these passions with, fortunately.

Music is important to me. It really effects my mood in both positive and negative ways. I couldn't be with someone who loved country and rap and heavy metal and expected me to listen to it with him. It is like eating organ meats. It isn't gonna go down well. If he loved classical or jazz, however, and wanted to teach me a thing or two, I'd be open to it.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/24/2014 10:47:40 AM
In the past decade I have been fortunate to be invited (twice) to private social events with top-tier heavy metal acts.

If a woman I was dating couldn't pull herself together to simply enjoy pleasant conversation and drink a few****ails with legendary musicians who spearheaded the British heavy metal music invasion...now that would be problematic.

Whether she likes my music or not is not important. Partners can and should have their opinion and taste.
At the same time, partners should give their significant other leeway and be supportive of harmless interests.
 hemingway114
Msg: 97
Posted: 7/24/2014 10:58:37 AM

In the past decade I have been fortunate to be invited (twice) to private social events with top-tier heavy metal acts.

- Your post reminded me of something Eric... I went to a business meeting at a hotel once... they claimed they would have live entertainment... I figured they would have some amateur singing karaoke... imagine my surprise when STARSHIP took the stage!!
 HawkingJr
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2014 11:03:38 AM
I have a ridiculously wide range of musical interests, everything from country (I am originally from rural Alabama) to rap (I do have black ancestry), though I listen to rock (mostly modern rock because how many times in a life can you listen to classic rock and hair metal hits?) the majority of the time. I have never had a problem establishing some sort of musical common ground with anyone I’ve dated or had interest in dating. But I can definitely be driven crazy by music I don’t like that much. My first college roommate, despite being the same age as me, only liked 1950s and 60s pop standards and played them over and over and over again over our course of a year together. I almost skipped out on “Jersey Boys” because I knew it would bring back bad memories of “Big Girls Don’t Cry” and “Oh Sherry” (which it did! Goddamn it, it’s been a month and I still can’t get them out of my head – not even “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” will drown ‘em out). Even worse, the dude called all of my music (except our occasional common tunes) complete crap and forced me to wear headphones when I listened to it but he never wore headphones when he listened to his. I don’t know if I would call it a “deal breaker” but I can’t see any good coming from me dating the female version of him.

The three women I dated for a year-plus had musical tastes as diverse and similar as mine so we usually got along splendidly and learned much from each others’ collections (my last ex and I did like the occasional song that got on the other’s nerves, but it would be impossible for two people to have 100% identical musical tastes – we just lightly teased each other about those songs). Pretty much any woman that would date me at all would have to be extremely open-minded just in general, and open-mindedness about music just goes along with it, so I don’t sit around worrying much about that causing issues.

“LOL...how utterly ridiculous for the OP to claim that a woman who likes Cold Play or Nickelback is a 'dealbreaker' for him. Good Christ, if you're going to be THAT petty, you're going to be single for a long, long time.”

In my experience, at least on dating sites, women are much more likely to apply a petty deal breaker – pretty much their modus operandi is to try to find every red flag possible in a guy’s profile and/or contact message so she can quickly dismiss him and move on to the next in her inbox of hundreds. “Wow, this guy sounds amazing – wait a minute, he likes Megadeath? He must be a devil worshipper who sacrifices babies! NEXT!” Whereas most guys are pretty predictable in the other direction: “She likes Justin Bieber? Who cares – she’s HOT!!!!!” OP is possibly a rare exception or a liar who WILL date a Justin Bieber fan. Who is HOT.

PS Redrock: It doesn't get much better than "How Soon Is Now." Of course, that's just my opinion. No need for a date to share it!
 Kittyxoxoxo
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2014 11:54:59 AM

the old beer drinkin, my woman done left, my truck wont start, my job done gone kinda stuff

LMAO. Reminds me of the time i stayed over at my dad's friend's place. The only thing he played out loud from the stereo were those kind of songs (he had a bunch of CDs of it). It drove me nuts after several songs. He played it morning to night, non-stop. I was ready to commit myself into an insane asylum.

The last gal I saw IRL raised a red flag when she had Tupac "Dear Mother" on her laptop. I like a few of his songs but HATE that one. The red flag was her reason for liking the song. Tupac (or the character he portrays in that song) is a doormat, a total mama's boy, forgiving her for being a drug addict and a bad parent. Liking that song suggests she wants to be abusive and for the victim to be a doormat.

To the poster that wrote the quote above: Wow, you completed missed the whole message of the song. Sad for you.

Good thing music is not one of my deal breakers, no matter how sh*tty my partner's taste is. That's just ridiculous.
 Kittyxoxoxo
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2014 12:00:06 PM

You can tell a person's personality and their intelligence level based on the music selection.

And this has got to be one of the dumbest posts i've ever read. Maybe that says something about your intelligence?
 Kittyxoxoxo
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2014 12:08:41 PM

One thing i can't stand is when people say they to listen to "everything" and like all types of music. i dont have many peeves but this one i cannot stand for the life of me. 9.99 times out of ten their personality is revealed through that statement, like somehow they're better than you because they listen to led zeppelin or the shins or freaking dubstep.

Sounds like projection on your part, buddy. Might want to see a psychologist for that..
 RedrockJen
Msg: 102
Posted: 7/24/2014 1:43:06 PM

If a woman I was dating couldn't pull herself together to simply enjoy pleasant conversation and drink a few****ails with legendary musicians who spearheaded the British heavy metal music invasion...now that would be problematic.

Is pleasant conversation even possible while heavy metal is being played live?

What bands are we talking about? Black Sabbath? Def Leppard? I could tolerate those two with enough drinks in me. Ha!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 103
Posted: 7/24/2014 1:47:22 PM

Posted by RedrockJen:
"Is pleasant conversation even possible while heavy metal is being played live?
What bands are we talking about? Black Sabbath?"

Not a concert...we are talking about a small and pleasant dinner party with the likes of Black Sabbath.
 easterparadehat
Msg: 104
Posted: 7/24/2014 2:28:12 PM
If you have any taste in gorgeous music do a youtube search on Mancini "Snowfall" "Mr. Lucky" and "Dreamsville". Also consider Nelson Riddle's "Route 66" from the TV show of the early 1960s. So much soothing music and people just continue to listen to complete crap.
 Coma_White
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2014 6:39:56 PM

Sounds like projection on your part, buddy. Might want to see a psychologist for that..

I agree. I listen to a little bit of everything and I have a degree in music. Your taste in music doesn't mean anything. My playlist will have some classical music like a madrigal from Orlando di Lasso followed by a Hungarian or Russian pop song, and then some grunge or metal music after that. I don't like country music that much but I find enjoyment in songs by Johnny Cash or Shooter Jennings. People take musical taste way too seriously.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Musical taste being a dealbreaker?